OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 745, 746, 747 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject:

Clip in link:

With no AD they have Morris at the five with Kuzma tasked on Kawhi. Stays with him, doesn't get bullied in the post and when Montrezl comes to screen, Morris can switch. Such a luxury.

https://twitter.com/UnwrittenRul3s/status/1236813488711860224
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Clip in link:

With no AD they have Morris at the five with Kuzma tasked on Kawhi. Stays with him, doesn't get bullied in the post and when Montrezl comes to screen, Morris can switch. Such a luxury.

https://twitter.com/UnwrittenRul3s/status/1236813488711860224

I love how Kuz got decimated by Bron on the rebound but still held on to the ball. Glamour boy showed a little bit of toughness there lol.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject:

Kuz defense been aight!
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
dcastillo wrote:
Doc JC wrote:
Still a work in progress, but his work on the defensive end has firmly improved his game. Really going to need him to get at least Luke warm in the playoffs from 3.

He can be an Ariza for us. Solid defense, hustle plays, and hopefully in the playoffs can hit the 3 the way Ariza did for us in โ€˜09

He has defensive ability that he's taking to the next level as he sees how Caruso is beloved for his d, and how the team benefits from nonstop hustle. He's been written off wayyy too early in this thread and now people are starting to get a glimpse of what difference makers look like.

Agree man. We both have been still supporting Kuzma this whole time. He's still young. Someone mentioned he's not talented enough or intelligent enough. Defense takes intelligence. His shot isn't falling, he's in a bad slump, and keeps tinkering with his shot. Hopefully he finds it in the remaining games this season but he has shown on more than a few occasions that he is at the very least a serviceable defender. He will get roasted now and then against the best players in the NBA, but who doesn't? He at least competes and makes players work. Aside from Danny Green, Lebron, and AD, he's our best tall perimeter defender.

Kuzma is a better defensive option on most nights against the likes of Tatum, Kawhi, etc. than KCP, Caruso, or Bradley because they lack the length to be effective. He did a great job when the Clippers targeted him on switches. Big credit to the coaching staff and Phil Handy for their player development.

He also creates open shots for guys too. Sometimes he is a bit slow at his reads, but he has created for our outside shooters. It just hasn't always translated to assists because most of our team are not hitting their shots right now. He isn't particularly good at the 2nd or 3rd read but that will come with experience and coaching as well. Give it time, most players blossom their 4th year.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

Great weekend for Kuz. I've been really hard on him over the years - tall Jordan Clarkson - but he showed out this weekend. Did the little things, used his size, hit the boards, tried hard on D, and shot the open shot (even if he missed). Maybe our tall jordan clarkson can become regular sized Robert Horry after all.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

Just posted this in the Avery Bradley thread, but it may be more appropriate here, especially when talking about the offensive side of the ball (taking nothing away from Kuz on D, who has been making tremendous strides there).

The way the Lakers system is set up, i.e. to consistently feed and run our offense through two top 5 players, each ball dominant in their own right, as equally as possible, it doesn't lend itself to having a true 3rd option. Even if a player (like Kuz) is capable of putting up consistent numbers, that is unlikely to happen within the current team dynamic. One of the primary reasons for that is, aside from lack of touches/shot opportunities, is simply that the players cannot get into a comfortable rhythm.

Here are some stats for Kuzma which illustrates this point:

Kuzma (Total): 53 Games, 24.6 MPG, 12.5 PPG (51.9 TS%; 29.9 3pt%), 4.5 RPG, 1.3 APG

Kuzma (Starter): 7 Games, 32.7 MPG, 20.3 PPG (56.0 TS%; 34.1 3pt%), 5.4 RPG, 2.1 APG
Kuzma (Reserve): 46 Games, 23.4 MPG, 11.3 PPG (50.9 TS%, 29.0 3pt%), 4.3 RPG, 1.2 APG

Kuzma (30-39 Min): 7 Games, 34.0 MPG, 22.6 PPG (61.3 TS%, 42.2 3pt%), 6.1 RPG, 1.4 APG
Kuzma (20-29 Min): 36 Games, 25.0 MPG, 12.2 PPG (51.3 TS%; 28.5 3pt%), 4.6 RPG, 1.4 RPG
Kuzma (10-19 Min): 9 Games, 17.6 MPG, 6.3 PPG (38.8 TS%; 17.9 3pt%), 3.1 RPG, 1.0 APG

Even when capable, players cannot be consistent third options when they aren't given the opportunity to fulfill that role. Unlike a lot of other big trios in the past, this team is more like Shaq/Kobe than prior "big 3" teams in the past, with two top 5 players dominating the ball and everyone else looking to fit in where they can. It makes sense then why different people would, and are required to, step up each game.

Alos, people like to compare Kuz to Bosh on those Lebron Miami teams, or Kuz to Kevin Love on those Lebron Cavs teams. Both examples tend to prove how not only is it difficult to be a 3rd option on a Lebron team, but that it especially difficult for Kuz to prove himself that way on this current team given the limited opportunity he has had. First, unlike Kuz, both Love and Bosh started for their respective teams. Second, unlike Kuz who 24.6 MPG, Bosh averaged around 35 MPG in Miami while Love averaged around 31.5 MPG. Imagine if Kuz started every game and played 30+ minutes per night. Would wonder what Kuz we would see.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

<3rd option comments>

All valid points. However some like me have never had the expectation that he would be a 3rd option. My hopes for him have simply been:
a) adequate and engaged on defense
b) on offense take what the defense gives him i.e. not make boneheaded offensive plays
c) shoot north of league average on 3's

He excelled at the first 2 in the Clippers game, very good showing. If he could play this way and add a decent 3-point shot he would be a legit starter in this league.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

<3rd option comments>

All valid points. However some like me have never had the expectation that he would be a 3rd option. My hopes for him have simply been:
a) adequate and engaged on defense
b) on offense take what the defense gives him i.e. not make boneheaded offensive plays
c) shoot north of league average on 3's

He excelled at the first 2 in the Clippers game, very good showing. If he could play this way and add a decent 3-point shot he would be a legit starter in this league.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a 3rd option who you can rely on to get you 18-20 points every game in the playoffs. But if we're able to get at least 1 of the role players to put up numbers, or even 2 role players to put up decent double digit numbers, we'll be in a good position, especially if our defense stays intact.

As per a reddit comment by u/wackysama, against the Clippers, Green had 28 points in game 1, Kuz had 25 points in game 2 and Bradley had 24 in game 3. So it's not out of the ordinary for a role player to score big.

I think it's going to be up to Lebron and AD to make sure to continue carrying us.
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Just posted this in the Avery Bradley thread, but it may be more appropriate here, especially when talking about the offensive side of the ball (taking nothing away from Kuz on D, who has been making tremendous strides there).

The way the Lakers system is set up, i.e. to consistently feed and run our offense through two top 5 players, each ball dominant in their own right, as equally as possible, it doesn't lend itself to having a true 3rd option. Even if a player (like Kuz) is capable of putting up consistent numbers, that is unlikely to happen within the current team dynamic. One of the primary reasons for that is, aside from lack of touches/shot opportunities, is simply that the players cannot get into a comfortable rhythm.

Here are some stats for Kuzma which illustrates this point:

Kuzma (Total): 53 Games, 24.6 MPG, 12.5 PPG (51.9 TS%; 29.9 3pt%), 4.5 RPG, 1.3 APG

Kuzma (Starter): 7 Games, 32.7 MPG, 20.3 PPG (56.0 TS%; 34.1 3pt%), 5.4 RPG, 2.1 APG
Kuzma (Reserve): 46 Games, 23.4 MPG, 11.3 PPG (50.9 TS%, 29.0 3pt%), 4.3 RPG, 1.2 APG

Kuzma (30-39 Min): 7 Games, 34.0 MPG, 22.6 PPG (61.3 TS%, 42.2 3pt%), 6.1 RPG, 1.4 APG
Kuzma (20-29 Min): 36 Games, 25.0 MPG, 12.2 PPG (51.3 TS%; 28.5 3pt%), 4.6 RPG, 1.4 RPG
Kuzma (10-19 Min): 9 Games, 17.6 MPG, 6.3 PPG (38.8 TS%; 17.9 3pt%), 3.1 RPG, 1.0 APG

Even when capable, players cannot be consistent third options when they aren't given the opportunity to fulfill that role. Unlike a lot of other big trios in the past, this team is more like Shaq/Kobe than prior "big 3" teams in the past, with two top 5 players dominating the ball and everyone else looking to fit in where they can. It makes sense then why different people would, and are required to, step up each game.

Alos, people like to compare Kuz to Bosh on those Lebron Miami teams, or Kuz to Kevin Love on those Lebron Cavs teams. Both examples tend to prove how not only is it difficult to be a 3rd option on a Lebron team, but that it especially difficult for Kuz to prove himself that way on this current team given the limited opportunity he has had. First, unlike Kuz, both Love and Bosh started for their respective teams. Second, unlike Kuz who 24.6 MPG, Bosh averaged around 35 MPG in Miami while Love averaged around 31.5 MPG. Imagine if Kuz started every game and played 30+ minutes per night. Would wonder what Kuz we would see.

I hear you but just a couple of respectful counterpoints.

1. Kuz's D has been hot garbage in the summer sun most of the year. He routinely compromised team D with his utter lack of awareness off ball and terrible positioning that consistently put his back to his man when he was playing the 4 leaving him susceptible to so many back door cuts for layups and better rebound position. It's driven me crazy all year and something I've actually shown my kids so they can learn what not to do.

That has been solved for the most part by Morris and moving Kuz almost exclusively to the 3 where he should be. And to his credit, he has balled these last 2 games on D and here and there post ASB too...not consistently but trending up and dependable in big games...that will work!

2. Kuz's shooting % on 3's is abysmal in 2020...these are some of his opportunities and chances for him to drive as well. Kuz has not been consistently setting his feet simultaneously on his catch and shoot opportunities. Instead 1 foot is landing right before the other one and throwing off his shooting mechanics and rhythm. Both feet have to land simultaneously on the gather for C&S at this level or else he might as well have his left foot planted and right foot back on the catch so he can step into his shot. The whole point of the simultaneous landing with each foot on the gather is to shave off .2 to .4 sec on your shot while also aligning the entire body. Kuz starts doing this again and he's gonna make a LOT of $$$ with this D and rebounding.

Or if he would just take it to the rack and initiate contact...i really want that in his game to.

My point is that Kuz (prior to the last 2 games) has limited his own minutes because he couldn't be trusted on D, so if the shot wasn't falling there was no reason for him to be in the court.

Kuz ain't a 4 and definitely ain't a 5. Those 2 experiments with him the last 2 years have crushed his development imo. I get why someone would try him at the PF2 spot, but it's been such an utter failure that I hope he never allows it to happen again. And the 5? That's a perfect example of why Luke is no longer here.

Kuz is a 3 and what he lacks in foot speed, he makes up for in length on the perimeter. These last 2 games (plus the end to the hair whatevertheFthatwas look at me phase) show that he's getting his head on straight finally.

This Kuz deserves to be on the court even if his shot is off. This Kuz is a plus player. Now to fix his shot(feet) and we got a dangerous squad ramping up for the POs because his mind is finally in the right place.

At least, that's what I see LS.

#BannersOverBillboards

Last edited by CervantesRises on Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/LakerFiles/status/1237146361956614144?s=19
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Wow.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Thanks 32...
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Dude is a wing. That's awesome. For some odd reason, since the all-star break, the bench has actually held a positive +/- when Lebron isn't on the floor. I'm guessing Kuz's defense has something to do with that.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Dude is a wing. That's awesome. For some odd reason, since the all-star break, the bench has actually held a positive +/- when Lebron isn't on the floor. I'm guessing Kuz's defense has something to do with that.

Wow.
Since the all-star break (9 games).

Lebron: 7.2 on, 9.0 off
That's crazy. And great to see.

The only guys with on court negatives are:
Morris: -6.1
Rondo: -3.6
Howard: -1.6

And the only ones with an off court negative (which is somewhat of a good thing for a player):
AD: -1.0
Bradley: -1.2

Best diff during that stretch for guys playing minutes:
AB: 16.3
AD: 14.0
Alex: 11.6
Kuzma: 8.5

This 9 game stretch has definitely been amazing, minus the Griz loss.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Kuz starting to get it!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Since this is the Kuzma's hair thread I thought I'd comment on his hair. I like it better normal, the blonde look sucked.

In other matters, I've seen a distinct improvement in his defense. He was scrapping out there against the Clippers. Blocking shots and staying in front of his man. Love it.

Early to tell, but perhaps after adding Morris to the rotation Kuz has a new role, and is thriving in it?

Even if he doesn't score 18 a game, I thought the way he scored last night had more impact. Our stars are going score at a very high percentage until a defense stops them, and they're to go to work late in the game at playoff time. Defenses will throw the kitchen sink at trying to stop AD and LBJ at closing time. I like how Kuz put himself in position last night to take advantage of the daylight the Clippers gave him, grab an offensive board and stuff it home. He's going to see that kind of daylight as teams collapse on AD and LBJ. Pick your poison. In the playoffs that can kill teams trying to get momentum and mount a comeback on the Lakers.

He had a few solid, aggressive drives to the hoop as well, I got a kick out of that sidearm scoop shot to avoid the charge late in the game. This was a very good game for Kuz on both sides of the court IMO.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Doesn't like contact, but has the size and lateral mobility to really bother wings. Glad we now have the personnel to play Kuz where he's meant to be.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject:

I agree with lakersanity, I've said in other posts, that our team is basically AD, LeBron, and the Super Friends. Once in awhile, one guy steps up with that 20 point kind of game AB had against the Clips. Kuzma has had probably half dozen, Green twice that I can remember. We don't have a Kevin Love or a Chris Bosh as a third and we don't have an Irving or Wade as the #2, who is also a ball-handler and can create their own shot.

So that leaves us with Super Friends, sort of a better version of what we had in the Kobe/Shaq era. Guys like Fisher, Fox, Horry, Slava, Harper, hoping one of them would get that descent 10-15 point game, which in the playoffs was usually Horry.

However the game adjusts and matchups change, we have several guys playing hard, good defense and 2 or 3 step up with 10 point plus games. Kuzma, Howard, KCP, McGee, Bradley, Green, and now Morris is in the mix, don't forget the GOAT either. This is how we win this year, and its crude and not always pretty but we are 1 game out of best record in the NBA with this format.

I don't know if we can change it up next year, ideally we would find a good scoring PG who can handle the ball, create his own shots and dish. Maybe next year its the evolution of AC, Bradley, Waiters, I don't know who can bring it every single night.

But this re-invention of Kuzma 7-10 points, several boards, pretty good defense against quality players, its nothing to sneeze at.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/lakerssbn/status/1237424477220167681?s=21
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

if he can defend above average @ wing spot. we can trade Danny Green and our 1st for a solid wing/pg
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
if he can defend above average @ wing spot. we can trade Danny Green and our 1st for a solid wing/pg

Green might be attractive as an ending contract but I question how much value he will have. Especially if he repeats his Finals performance. I guess that even a low first round pick is still a first round pick.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject:

https://throwdowns.substack.com/p/the-enigma-that-is-kyle-kuzma?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

Great article by Alex Regla on the new Kuzma.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Kuz has transform himself into a winning type of player and I prefer this version. If he work harder than maybe he can still be a a viable 3rd option but itโ€™s undeniable that heโ€™s getting better at the defensive end.

Last edited by CRoost on Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Double post

Last edited by CRoost on Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject:

We've seen this version of him before this very season. Not sure why people are getting all super excited so quick like he officially turned a corner. He also steps his game up on nationally televised games I noticed as well.

I do agree that this version of him consistently doing the small things would make our chances much better going into the Playoffs. I hope it's a real change in his mind state but this story feels like it's been told a few times already.

Him stepping up and having Morris allows him to really use his size and agility a lot more on defense which has def. been effective lately. It was so nice not having anyone on the floor that is a defensive liability.

I'd love to see him ball out and turn that corner helping us win a championship so in the off season all we hear is talks about the Lakers giving him an extension instead of possible trades.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 745, 746, 747 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 746 of 880
Jump to: