Legend of PLAYOFF RONDO (Woj: Trade to Cavs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
I'm speaking more on the day to day games.
Where people come into a player thread and say a player played well or bad.

Like you just stated, Alex has a positive impact overall and Rondo has had a negative. I dont think anyone would argue that. But with that fact, I believe confirmation bias leads a lot of fans to not be able to critique players properly on a game to game basis.

yinoma2001 wrote:
But isn't that what you're doing by pointing to Caruso's -3 for that game too?

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, the "good" games are much rarer than bad games. So even I will give him credit for "good" games as they are the exception, not the norm. I just wish we had a more steady and dependable veteran backup PG.

People like to focus on his non-shooting/overdribbling, but my concern is his lack of defense. We like to switch too and teams will do what LBJ did to Lou Will, i.e. actively hunt out Rondo on switches. Caruso gives you a fighting chance in those situations.

I edited my post above, to be more clear hopefully.
RE: Alex, I'm not pointing out that he was bad with the -3, I'm just pointing out that his lineup wasn't so hot, as we were talking about Rondo's lineup being able to get back to a net 0 after being horrid in the 1st half.

And again, no one is arguing who has the greater impact overall in the season. We know this. I mean we can read it in almost everyone of your posts that Rondo is not good

But if you read other posts, I do point out when he has a good game or stretch (like I did for the recent Clips one).

But I am concerned that Rondo has objectively been poor this season, and that we are forced to rely on him. Thankfully in deep playoff action, it should only be 8-10mpg we are talking about. My concern is that Vogel will run him 20-22mpg. Teams will hunt for Rondo matchups like we did with Lou. At least offensively Lou is still a threat.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
I'm speaking more on the day to day games.
Where people come into a player thread and say a player played well or bad.

Like you just stated, Alex has a positive impact overall and Rondo has had a negative. I dont think anyone would argue that. But with that fact, I believe confirmation bias leads a lot of fans to not be able to critique players properly on a game to game basis.

yinoma2001 wrote:
But isn't that what you're doing by pointing to Caruso's -3 for that game too?

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, the "good" games are much rarer than bad games. So even I will give him credit for "good" games as they are the exception, not the norm. I just wish we had a more steady and dependable veteran backup PG.

People like to focus on his non-shooting/overdribbling, but my concern is his lack of defense. We like to switch too and teams will do what LBJ did to Lou Will, i.e. actively hunt out Rondo on switches. Caruso gives you a fighting chance in those situations.

I edited my post above, to be more clear hopefully.
RE: Alex, I'm not pointing out that he was bad with the -3, I'm just pointing out that his lineup wasn't so hot, as we were talking about Rondo's lineup being able to get back to a net 0 after being horrid in the 1st half.

And again, no one is arguing who has the greater impact overall in the season. We know this. I mean we can read it in almost everyone of your posts that Rondo is not good

But if you read other posts, I do point out when he has a good game or stretch (like I did for the recent Clips one).

But I am concerned that Rondo has objectively been poor this season, and that we are forced to rely on him. Thankfully in deep playoff action, it should only be 8-10mpg we are talking about. My concern is that Vogel will run him 20-22mpg. Teams will hunt for Rondo matchups like we did with Lou. At least offensively Lou is still a threat.

Yep. You have been fair.

I think it's very possible that Rondo gets 20 mpg in the playoffs. And some of his minutes will overlap with Lebron. And this is worrisome when looking at his season overall. Get ready!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

he does a below average job at what he's supposed to be good at and that job is not even necessary. We play just fine in non-Lebron lineups when Rondo isnt in. Vogel is trying to make Rondo a bad solution to a problem that is not even there.

also btw Rondo is currently near his bad career average on 3 point % all the while being afforded to cleanest looks by far on them

If a -1 and 0 +/- off the beach against the Bucks and Clippers are “bad” for a 2.5 million dollar backup PG and BY FAR the 2nd best playmaker on the team.

You may have an unreasonably high standard for “bad”.

Overall, this season. Has he been bad? Of course!
These last two games he’s been fine. Not good or great. Or bad or horrible. Just fine. Like a C grade.

And this is coming from someone yelling for Vogel to pull him sooner the 1st half last game.

Usually fans are going to see what they want to see. Notice Alex had a -3 yesterday, but most fans wont know why, because they're already watching him with a positive light. The opposite of Rondo is that they're already watching him in a negative light Every mistake is magnified. Anything positive he does is just thrown out.

eh? I watched this game twice and Caruso played well in his very limited stint while in an unfavorable lineup. Very good defense on Paul George... completely shut down his drive attempt then forced him into a contested mid range jumper (which he still made). Got a heads up steal. Missed a shot he should have made.
The reason Im so worked up over Rondo is because I truly feel if Vogel continues to force-feed him 15-20 minutes a game at the expense of players like KCP, Caruso, and now Waiters, can end up being the difference between winning and losing games against top teams in the playoffs.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
epic_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

he does a below average job at what he's supposed to be good at and that job is not even necessary. We play just fine in non-Lebron lineups when Rondo isnt in. Vogel is trying to make Rondo a bad solution to a problem that is not even there.

also btw Rondo is currently near his bad career average on 3 point % all the while being afforded to cleanest looks by far on them

If a -1 and 0 +/- off the beach against the Bucks and Clippers are “bad” for a 2.5 million dollar backup PG and BY FAR the 2nd best playmaker on the team.

These last two games he’s been fine. Not good or great. Or bad or horrible. Just fine. Like a C grade.

And this is coming from someone yelling for Vogel to pull him sooner the 1st half last game.

Usually fans are going to see what they want to see. Notice Alex had a -3 yesterday, but most fans wont know why, because they're already watching him with a positive light. The opposite of Rondo is that they're already watching him in a negative light Every mistake is magnified. Anything positive he does is just thrown out.

eh? I watched this game twice and Caruso played well in his very limited stint while in an unfavorable lineup. Very good defense on Paul George... completely shut down his drive attempt then forced him into a contested mid range jumper (which he still made). Got a heads up steal. Missed a shot he should have made.
The reason Im so worked up over Rondo is because I truly feel if Vogel continues to force-feed him 15-20 minutes a game at the expense of players like KCP, Caruso, and now Waiters, can end up being the difference between winning and losing games against top teams in the playoffs.

Yea, I should have stated that I was hitching along to kanga, as opposed to addressing your take.

I have no qualms about people having worries about Rondo playing big minutes in the playoffs. I worry about that as well. As mentioned in the yimo reply, I was addressing more of the game to game critiques, where there may be some confirmation bias.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Rondo should be the official (bleep) word of Lakers fans.

- Son of a Rondo!
- Rondo you!
- WTR!? (What the Rondo!?)
- Mother Rondo-er!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Rondo should be the official (bleep) word of Lakers fans.

- Son of a Rondo!
- Rondo you!
- WTR!? (What the Rondo!?)
- Mother Rondo-er!

We have so many mercenaries on the team, with only guys like Kuz/Caruso/THT being home grown.

But I still can't shake Rondo being a Celtic for some reason.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to try something different. If you can't beat them, join them! Face it, he's part of the rotation. So instead of dreading him and cursing at all his mistakes, and not applauding his good minutes, I will try my best to see the good in him from now on. I will look forward to when he enters the game. I will be blind to his mistakes and only remember the good parts, just like how we all are when we're pulling for someone. I'm turning a leaf on Rondo. Because the current way isn't working. All my attempts to speak him "out of the rotation" into existence isn't working.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I'm going to try something different. If you can't beat them, join them! Face it, he's part of the rotation. So instead of dreading him and cursing at all his mistakes, and not applauding his good minutes, I will try my best to see the good in him from now on. I will look forward to when he enters the game. I will be blind to his mistakes and only remember the good parts, just like how we all are when we're pulling for someone. I'm turning a leaf on Rondo. Because the current way isn't working. All my attempts to speak him "out of the rotation" into existence isn't working.

Ha, same here. It is what it is.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
epic_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Nah Caruso does all those little things well but he still can’t playmake at this level and he has trouble making entry passes. He may develop into that dependable playmaker at some point but not this year. What he is doing right now is the best role for him .

Rondo might have longer leash compare to our other role players but he is our 2nd best playmaker and like I said this team is build for Lebron ball and it’s hard for any role player to replicate what Lebron does unless Vogel implement a system that does not rely on one player.

So we got Waiters and he supposed to be better than atrocious Rondo so hopefully you guys are right.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject:

unfortunately an injury is the only way vogel will not play this net negative
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

How funny would it be if Vogel completely cuts him out of the rotation now.
In that case we'd all know what the problem was all along. You guys!

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

It's not happening. At least not this year. So just have to hope that he doesn't hurt us too much in his 8-10mpg in the playoffs (hopefully).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

It's not happening. At least not this year. So just have to hope that he doesn't hurt us too much in his 8-10mpg in the playoffs (hopefully).

Sounds like you've reached the acceptance stage of grieving.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Sounds like you've reached the acceptance stage of grieving.

Yup.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

As much as I dislike Rondo as evident on the posts above prior to the game, he didn't lose the game last night.

Caruso is more to blame, Lakers blew their lead in the 2nd quarter once Caruso was inserted and committed those turnovers, he played bad. Have to call it what it is.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject:

I honestly don’t understand the Rajon Rondo hate. I mean, we just watched two decades worth of Derek Fisher for christ’s sake. When I watch him play, the bulk of his assists are for layups and dunks in stark contrast to the three point variety from the de facto point guard. Anthony goes from spotting up in the corner or behind the three point line with Lebron to getting the ball around the basket with Rajon.

I ran the event finder http://bkref.com/tiny/u55pN (the bulk of which are layups and dunks)

It just seems like a lot of whining to me
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
I honestly don’t understand the Rajon Rondo hate. I mean, we just watched two decades worth of Derek Fisher for christ’s sake. When I watch him play, the bulk of his assists are for layups and dunks in stark contrast to the three point variety from the de facto point guard. Anthony goes from spotting up in the corner or behind the three point line with Lebron to getting the ball around the basket with Rajon.

I ran the event finder http://bkref.com/tiny/u55pN (the bulk of which are layups and dunks)

Defense.

Defense.

Defense.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

This is the mindset, the state I want to be in! How do you do it? I want in. I want to be numb to Rondo and only see the good things. Is it the Matrix?

"You know, I know Playoff Rondo doesn't exist. I know that when he enters the game, the Matrix is telling my brain that his defense is tough and tenacious. After 2 seasons, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss."

Last edited by Runway8 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

This is the mindset, the state I want to be in! How do you do it? I want in. I want to be numb to Rondo and only see the good things. Is it the Matrix?

He just whines about other players!

I need to find Rondo Nirvana. Accepting that which I cannot change.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

It is obvious that you do not win with the negative view.
At his age Rondo is an excellent playmaker but must be hidden on defense.
The opposite is true for Caruso.
Hope the coaches can find a. balance.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

It is obvious that you do not win with the negative view.
At his age Rondo is an excellent playmaker but must be hidden on defense.
The opposite is true for Caruso.
Hope the coaches can find a. balance.

I wouldn't go so far to say excellent playmaker.

He's the 2nd best playmaker on the team, but that's b/c our efforts to get a better one (Darren, trades for Rose/Dinwiddie) all didn't work out.

My hope is he will initiate the offense faster and hold onto the ball less. And he has to take the open shots (and make them) as he is being left wide open.

And on defense, he has to try and show effort. It's just not there at all.
james5000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject:

1st post here ever but curious why anyone thinks Waiters will take Rondo's minutes?

Waiters isn't a known playmaker. more of an attacking option.

Rondo gets a hell of a lot of stick but he still has the 6th most assists per 48 minutes in the league LOL

Rondo is basically being used to give Lebron a rest, you take Lebron and Rondo off and there isn't much creativity.

I'm not an expert, far from it but from what I see when Lebron is on the court with Rondo thats the only time he isn't the number one ball handler. Lebron is still resting when he plays with Rondo. Not surprised Rondo has the worst + or - record when paired with Lebron and AD.

Come the play offs and Rondo will be one of our key players.
Having multiple games in a row against the same opponents he will have more time to analyze and ulock defenses.
More recovery time between games will give him the ability to work harder on D too.

I don't think Rondo has zero defensive ability or awareness he just lacks the speed and conditioning he had in his prime. He will be able to put his body on the line more knowing that he has extra days recovery time.

I expect 15-20mins per game minimium come play off time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject:

Welcome aboard james5000.

I'm just leery when 34 year old 6'1 point guards think they can just flip the switch against the best teams in the playoffs. I think he's tried to flip that switch repeatedly this year and the light isn't turning on, which is on par for players his size/age. Effort is always something one can give, or try to give, and he just doesn't do that anymore on defense. Even LBJ, a guy who has to carry multiples more of the offensive load tries a lot more on defense. Rondo knows he only has to play 15-20mpg, so why is he not giving more effort?

We have to hope for the best but remember, "Playoff Rondo" was almost 2 full seasons ago and he was playing something like 35+ mpg. He won't have that kind of latitude this year.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

LG: "Please don't make us watch Rondo play important playoff minutes for us."

Monkey paw curls
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LG: "Please don't make us watch Rondo play important playoff minutes for us."

Monkey paw curls

I'm down for a guaranteed 7-8mpg first shift. The implications of him being guaranteed 15-20mpg is scary.

But then again, who knows when the playoffs will happen. If ever.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 121 of 168
Jump to: