Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Season is over (personal opinion)

I can't really picture a scenario where they just 'pick up where they left off' or even going straight to the playoffs. Not to mention it would be a nightmare for television networks and arenas to reschedule all of their programming/events just for the NBA.

This virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon and will continue to spread. No vaccine available, not even a date of when it might come. Trump cutting off all travel from Europe.

I predict they will just end the season and start a new season in October. Hopefully by then a vaccine is out that everyone has access to.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Season is over

george w kush wrote:
I can't really picture a scenario where they just 'pick up where they left off' or even going straight to the playoffs. Not to mention it would be a nightmare for television networks and arenas to reschedule all of their programming/events just for the NBA.

This virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon and will continue to spread. No vaccine available, not even a date of when it might come. Trump cutting off all travel from Europe.

I predict they will just end the season and start a new season in October. Hopefully by then a vaccine is out that everyone has access to.

It's very unlikely a vaccine will be available as early as October. In fact October 2021 is more likely that October 2020.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them go to a playoff scenario in a month or two where the games are played in empty arenas. I don't see why that would be any difficulty for the networks.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Simply put, I think the season is over. It's been too much. From Kobe's passing to this.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
Simply put, I think the season is over. It's been too much. From Kobe's passing to this.

I think the opposite. I think they will wait a bit, test all the players, and play the playoff games in empty arenas. As long as they feel they can do that with minimal risk, they're going to take the TV money
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject:

China’s league will re-start on April 2nd after they suspended it back in early February. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the NBA start up again in June or July with a play-in for some bubble teams and an abbreviated playoff /championship schedule.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GTL wrote:

I think the opposite. I think they will wait a bit, test all the players, and play the playoff games in empty arenas. As long as they feel they can do that with minimal risk, they're going to take the TV money

I hope so, it’s just all been so depressing and bleak.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, there is too much money at stake for the owners and players to not play out the season, even if it takes a while.

They had previously floated the idea of aligning the season with the NFL offseason. If they were to do that for the 2020-2021 season, they’d have plenty of time to finish 2019-2020.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject:

it'll be an asterisk year
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject:

What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on! 😤🙄

1978-2020
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Season is over

george w kush wrote:

Yep. Same thing I thought when I heard. They won't finish t his season. It is over. My Dad grew up in Milwaukee and is a huge Bucks fan and I told him... just our luck, the one time both our teams are the favorites for the title and the season is over.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject:

There is too much money involved for the season to be cancelled. Worst case scenario you have playoff games on television with no audience to at least honor television contracts.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Tried to stay positive once the news came out, but sadly, the season is likely over.

I still don't think most Americans know how serious this is, because everything in America is only seen through the lens of politics or race. Sorry, guys, we (I'm an American who lives abroad) only see (bleep) through race and politics.

So for Sars-Cov-2 the country will once again be divided when what's really needed is unity and a sense of community at a time like this. We know that won't happen. Trump is only trying to protect his re-election and if things go sour Dems will blame Trump for not taking care of things. So this outbreak in the US won't be contained like it was in China, S. Korea. Granted, the US has the best doctors and scientists in the world, but that's not the major factor in controlling this thing. It's about COORDINATION.

Average people all over the country should be staying at home. We can't be living our normal lives.

Everyone in Asia and even Europe now are sacrificing EVERYTHING to make sure a significant proportion of their population don't die. It's not even about Covid not being serious, if you're a young person out and about you will risk infecting others.

Another thing is most people don't realize how at-risk they are. It's in the raw data. Overweight people, people with chronic conditions, and older people are at serious risk of complications due to this virus. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of FACT and DATA from multiple countries that have more experience with this.

43% of Americans are obese. In terms of chronic disease, hypertension, diabetes, etc... don't get me started. The US is in for a rude awakening.

NBA season is over guys. Too much brand damage having games played with empty stadiums.

The ONLY hope they have is to delay until this blows over and re-set the starting date of the nba season to beginning part of the year from now on. The problem is, in the US this is gonna last a long, long time, and by October we'll have cold weather again. And by then, how much change will we have seen in terms of behavior? Not much.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
There is too much money involved for the season to be cancelled. Worst case scenario you have playoff games on television with no audience to at least honor television contracts.

I thought the same thing but found out networks have insurance for things like this. They will get their money even if it is cancelled. So it doesn't matter to them.
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on! 😤🙄

LOL. Every time I see someone say this on a forum someone eventually comes in and says "Uhhh it was Japan". Clueless. LOL
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Tried to stay positive once the news came out, but sadly, the season is likely over.

I still don't think most Americans know how serious this is, because everything in America is only seen through the lens of politics or race. Sorry, guys, we (I'm an American who lives abroad) only see (bleep) through race and politics.

So for Sars-Cov-2 the country will once again be divided when what's really needed is unity and a sense of community at a time like this. We know that won't happen. Trump is only trying to protect his re-election and if things go sour Dems will blame Trump for not taking care of things. So this outbreak in the US won't be contained like it was in China, S. Korea. Granted, the US has the best doctors and scientists in the world, but that's not the major factor in controlling this thing. It's about COORDINATION.

Average people all over the country should be staying at home. We can't be living our normal lives.

Everyone in Asia and even Europe now are sacrificing EVERYTHING to make sure a significant proportion of their population don't die. It's not even about Covid not being serious, if you're a young person out and about you will risk infecting others.

Another thing is most people don't realize how at-risk they are. It's in the raw data. Overweight people, people with chronic conditions, and older people are at serious risk of complications due to this virus. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of FACT and DATA from multiple countries that have more experience with this.

43% of Americans are obese. In terms of chronic disease, hypertension, diabetes, etc... don't get me started. The US is in for a rude awakening.

NBA season is over guys. Too much brand damage having games played with empty stadiums.

The ONLY hope they have is to delay until this blows over and re-set the starting date of the nba season to beginning part of the year from now on. The problem is, in the US this is gonna last a long, long time, and by October we'll have cold weather again. And by then, how much change will we have seen in terms of behavior? Not much.

((LET'S KEEP THIS FREE FROM POLITICS, PLEASE - JMK))
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

I thought the same thing but found out networks have insurance for things like this. They will get their money even if it is cancelled. So it doesn't matter to them.

That honestly doesn't make a lot of sense. They would need to substitute those time slots with alternate programming which costs money. And if the games are being played without an audience there really is no excuse to not play them so long as the players themselves are virus free. The players will want to play (they want money), as will the league and television. The fans will want them to play. They will play, though I would sort of expect some games to be cancelled.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
methdxman wrote:

It is, and it isn't. We know it's not all Trump's fault, but we also know Trump only cares about how this is portrayed in the media.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject:

The season is probably over, but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Let's just get to the playoffs. Let's not panic though folks. I'm in Thailand now and people are cautious but not panicking. You can't live a life of fear. The obesity rate in America is 39.6%, so that poses a much larger health risk that this virus.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject:

Change the title.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GTL wrote:

I agree with this....They'll test all the players and then continue either the season or get to play-offs. Too much $ at stake. Maybe empty arenas maybe not.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
methdxman wrote:

It is, and it isn't. We know it's not all Trump's fault, but we also know Trump only cares about how this is portrayed in the media.

Yes this is serious...and yes a high percentage of older people and people with medical conditions are at high risk with this virus....but let's not go nuts and think half the population will die...that's ludicrous. Hell Gobert actually has the virus and is joking about it. I'm optimistic a vaccine will be discovered sooner rather than later and while there will be fatalities this virus will be contained soon.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Season is over

activeverb wrote:
george w kush wrote:

It's very unlikely a vaccine will be available as early as October. In fact October 2021 is more likely that October 2020.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them go to a playoff scenario in a month or two where the games are played in empty arenas. I don't see why that would be any difficulty for the networks.

The big debate right now is whether summer weather will "burn" out the virus like it does the flu virus.

There is some evidence of this as regions South to China haven't nearly had as much as outbreak. And they also studying the Southern Hemisphere is already in summer.

However, arguments remain that is the outbreak is too much by summer, it could only slow down transmission but not stop it.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject:

It's not
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject:

If China’s league is starting back up early April, then the NBA will most likely start back up.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject:

Live in asia, just took a trip to north america.

it's night and day in terms of personal prevention. Family and friends gave me sideways looks when i explained how things are over here.

You're the wierdo if you don't wear a mask in public.
Walking into my home is like a lab. Spray shoes, bags, clothes. Shower immediately.
Use hand sanitizer immediately after touching anything in public, before eating and just constantly.

It's more crowded here than back home. Larger portion of pop uses public transit; people don't really drive their own cars. Everywhere is much more crowded.

So it's technically easier to transmit it.

BUT - at the same time as cracking their jokes about masks and supplies... More than half of my friends and their families all had the local flu/fever going around. I was scared of catching something from them.

Think about your own prevention. it has a high hospitalization rate so what happens when they can't keep up? can it kill healthy young people that can't get proper medical support?

Lastly, heat might help but don't think places like hongkong, thailand, singapore aren't a steady 20c plus everyday right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22
Jump to: