Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Of course the NBA and players would like to crown a champion. Question is how realistic is it? The economy is tanking, people are dying, and the healthy ones are living in fear, no vaccine until maybe next year, virus can stay in air for 3 hours, etc...This is a total disaster and I don't see how the league can resume the season until this mess gets sorted out which I don't see happening anytime soon.

What exactly is standing in their way of it? They need to make sure their players are healthy first, and then they can play games behind closed doors with extra security. Yeah, maybe it stays closed but even in a doomsday scenario where people are sick or scared to leave their homes, do you think they would prefer no NBA games on TV?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
BTW guys a short note on the incidence of the virus.

I am a doctor at a Health Center in LA and until last Monday, we couldn't do any testing on the virus because the lab couldn't handle the load due to lack of kits.

I believe they only allowed tests from hospitals. So since last Monday is when they allow testing from non-hospital facilities, we might continue to see a spike in cases.

There won't actually be a spike in cases, of course. There will be more accurate information about how many cases already exist.

Exactly..China had something similar which I added to my explanation above.

yeah, Trump has been a case study in how not to handle a crisis. In situations like this, you don't withhold information and try to sugarcoat everything, because people see the truth and know they can't trust or rely on you. He's just a man who is amazingly incompetent at his job
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

I am a doctor at a Health Center in LA and until last Monday, we couldn't do any testing on the virus because the lab couldn't handle the load due to lack of kits.

I believe they only allowed tests from hospitals. So since last Monday is when they allow testing from non-hospital facilities, we might continue to see a spike in cases.

There won't actually be a spike in cases, of course. There will be more accurate information about how many cases already exist.

yeah, Trump has been a case study in how not to handle a crisis. In situations like this, you don't withhold information and try to sugarcoat everything, because people see the truth and know they can't trust or rely on you. He's just a man who is amazingly incompetent at his job

Today's near 10% plunge tells me investors agree with you, as do I. Also thanks lar9149 for that info. The clinic nearest where I live in Oregon has been turning people away as well, for the same reason. This is way overdue and I'm glad you're seeing more testing kits in California.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
It took China 2 months to be back in normal, so since we are the more advanced country, we should contain this sooner than that. I think the season will resume in May

It took China 2 months because their government exercised absolute power, which basically meant internment for millions and millions of their citizens with full control over their: location, housing, meals, communication, interaction (physical and electronic), healthcare.
The "Advanced" part had less to do with it.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Advanced *could* and *should* have benefited us through:
* earlier availability of testing kits
* greater (FAR greater) volume of testing *and* data gathering (CDC tested a mere 1000 people from 18 Jan - 23 Feb)
* far earlier anticipation of spread based on data already available from Italy (even if one discounts the Chinese and Iranian data due to special circumstances)

But so far it has not, we are far from catching up with China's much more blunt response.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Today's near 10% plunge tells me investors agree with you, as do I. Also thanks lar9149 for that info. The clinic nearest where I live in Oregon has been turning people away as well, for the same reason. This is way overdue and I'm glad you're seeing more testing kits in California.

Looks like there is hope. Trump today declared a national emergency today and is funding 50 billion lifting restriction on doctors and hospitals. So hopefully things you mentioned like being turned away won't happen.

Plus, free testing and I have they might do drive thru testing like South Korea did..plus they have 1 million test kits..plenty.

The initial market response is good reversing some of the 10% plunge you mentioned above. Lets cross our fingers and hope these measures show some results so in a month or so, we can start talking about basketball again and no more this political crap..although I don't mind it since there is no basketball to talk about.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Looks like there is hope. Trump today declared a national emergency today and is funding 50 billion lifting restriction on doctors and hospitals. So hopefully things you mentioned like being turned away won't happen.

Plus, free testing and I have they might do drive thru testing like South Korea did..plus they have 1 million test kits..plenty.

The initial market response is good reversing some of the 10% plunge you mentioned above. Lets cross our fingers and hope these measures show some results so in a month or so, we can start talking about basketball again and no more this political crap..although I don't mind it since there is no basketball to talk about.

Amen to that!! Yes - I was home today and watched the press conference. Turned off by the political jabs, but I'm very encouraged that we're now starting to take action. National Emergency funding, FDA approval for the testing kits from Roche, drive through testing, the closures for schools/events, gives us a lot more tools to slow the trajectory down. I hope too that this results in a resumption sooner than later.

I'd love to be talking about the upcoming schedule, debating AC's defense versus Dion's offense, and reading game threads and T&R's again!!
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject:

I’m just glad the lakers beat the bucs and especially the snarky clippers before the season was suspended, makes this a little easier to take and wait for the season to resume , which I think it will, too much money involved
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject:

So I suppose the NBA may drag thru August and soon after the draft and summer leagues. 20/21 schedule reduced and delayed to December as Hawks owner wanted. Also only amatuers no pros off to the Japan Olympics if doesn't get cancelled.

1978-2020
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject:

People have been saying they wish they could put a reset on 2020. If only that were possible!

I'll say this, if the regular season is indeed over, I believe that they should continue with the playoffs. Most of this is always centered around money, but right now its about the Health of our society.

They could quarantine the games, by testing the players, coaches, staff, refs, all of the video & camera crews and everyone that it takes to make the game functional play them in a tournament style in two locations, one on the East and one on the West. If they want to make money, they can televise it on TV and Social Media and charge like On-Demand...

It would be the most highly watched paid programming in it's history, I'm sure. It would give people at home an opportunity to stay safe and enjoy the sport the love and continue to be entertained and the players an opportunity to still compete at a high-level and earn a championship and then move forward towards weathering this storm with their families...

It's feasible, rather it's this type of idea or simply waiting it out and extending the season, either way is good. This is load management at it's finest and will jump start a few players on teams.

I pray this all ends and we all recover sooner than expected!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

Let’s say the league decides to forfeit the season, can you guys imagine how the Pelicans and Kings would feel? They were inching closer to getting the 8th seed and if the NBA decides to start the playoffs when basketball resumes it will be the Grizzles in the playoffs.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

would it be possiblly to do the playoffs but do 1t 2 seeds in each confrenec

for example
lakers vs clippers
bucks vs raptors

then the finals

rather just shorten it ecspecially since it could be til June. THis gives time for the virus to lower. Idk sounds very unlikely but i cant imagine them not doing the playoffs
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

Do it NCAA tournament style. 14 vs 15, one game. Then 9-14, 10-13, 11-12, one game. Re-seed then 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5, one game. Re-seed, 1-4, 2-3, 5 game series. The two teams remaining play a 7 game series, the Finals are a 7 game series.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

I read an article today speculating that the season might be over. For every player that tests positive, it is another 14 days off for each team. And that includes families of players. Depending on how far apart positive tests are confirmed, it stretches the off time another 14 days. Hopefully there will only be the 3 and things will get rolling in April.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I read an article today speculating that the season might be over. For every player that tests positive, it is another 14 days off for each team. And that includes families of players. Depending on how far apart positive tests are confirmed, it stretches the off time another 14 days. Hopefully there will only be the 3 and things will get rolling in April.

At the end of the day the NBA is a business with its number one objective to make money. The playoffs are big money for them. They will do whatever it takes to make sure the playoffs are played. Calling the season off, whether it's the right thing to do or not, means a financial loss that just might not be acceptable.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
It took China 2 months to be back in normal, so since we are the more advanced country, we should contain this sooner than that. I think the season will resume in May

It took China 2 months because their government exercised absolute power, which basically meant internment for millions and millions of their citizens with full control over their: location, housing, meals, communication, interaction (physical and electronic), healthcare.
The "Advanced" part had less to do with it.

It took China 2 months because they first denied there was an outbreak and sent police around to the doctor whistle blower (who later died) to threaten him into withdrawing his warning. The measures they took really should have had this thing under control earlier but they were too concerned with public order and face. This meant they were playing catch up with the virus. South Korea, with enforced testing and pre-emptive lockdowns, fared much better.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

I doubt we get rolling in April.

It would be cool if they allowed the Lakers and Clippers to play their make up game. No fans. No travel. And use the event to help pull the country together a little and be mindful of the less fortunate or those struggling for help as things get worse before they get better.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

I'm very optimistic that the season will be restarted May-July with an abbreviated post-season.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I think they going to restart around May and straight to playoff.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Why would the season ever get going? In the coming months we will hear about more infections and more death. Unless we just get used to living with the disease and say (bleep) it, let’s live our lives then what’s going to change so the NBA can get going?

The same arguments that people use to argue they shouldn’t play will be the same arguments they use in a few months, except with many more people being sick the risks of infection will be much greater.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Why would the season ever get going? In the coming months we will hear about more infections and more death. Unless we just get used to living with the disease and say (bleep) it, let’s live our lives then what’s going to change so the NBA can get going?

The same arguments that people use to argue they shouldn’t play will be the same arguments they use in a few months, except with many more people being sick the risks of infection will be much greater.

Totally hear what you Saying Steve. Just hopeful that’s all. Right now the the travel bans and closures of school bars limiting restaurants. And hear some bans from hotspot states like Washington May occur. Trump keeps saying you can get testing but I already know of someone who went to a private doctor who said they are on a waiting list to get the tests done.

But neitherless looks Like as much as can be done is being done and if that is not enough, don’t know what to say.

On a side note, I am afraid these changes may have negative effects that are not being seen today. Just today I had an amazon order stolen from the front of the my house and my neighbor the same thing. And I have been here 8 years and never had an order stolen from house.

And just down the street I just saw a man arrested for stealing. And I haven’t seen that many police cars around My neighborhood in years. Note I live in a very safe neighborhood in Orange County so this behavior is unusual. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see an increase in crime especially since all these kids are out of school and I am not expecting all of them to stay home all day and self quarantine.

And these club and bar closures. What are those people going to do now? Will they stay home or will they throw their own parties and cause trouble in local neighborhoods inviting people all over the City.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Eeeek.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

Windhorst said on his podcast yesterday that the NBA is monitoring the Chinese Basketball League very closely and seeing how they handle the situation. Play will resume for them after 8-10 weeks.

He also said the NBA and owners also needs about 80 regular season games and a full playoffs (best 4 out of 7 series) to hit their salary cap goals for next season. Seeing that getting paid is important to the owners and the players, it’s going to be in their best interest to continue the season 3 months from now.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Going straight to the playoffs after a multiple month hiatus and no practice, might as well be a new season. No fans as well to make it more of an asterisk. Then it would cascade into the following season as well since this woud have to be done, when, mid summer?.

Any champion that comes from that would have no bearing on the season that was suspended last week had it continued.

I don't think there will be an NBA champion or NHL champion this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject:

That would mean that my Blues will still be the Stanley Cup champs.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I was optimistic at first because of the money involved but I’m quickly losing steam. If we take this hiatus and try starting up again and another player tests positive, it’s a bust. It is really looking like all of these activities and most of our regular jobs and lives are on hold until a vaccine is created and mass distributed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22
Jump to: