Help finding RARE Kobe Game-Winner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Help finding RARE Kobe Game-Winner

I know this is a longshot, but I'm looking for footage of a rare Kobe Bryant Game-Winner that I have yet to find online.

I think I've probably seen every Kobe game-winner except for this one.

The game-winner in question took place on February 07, 2001 in a game against the Phoenix Suns at Staples Center.

Game logs describe the game-winner as a 2-point jump shot from 17 feet with 2.7 seconds left in the game (Lakers won 85 to 83). Another source describes the game-winning jumper happening with Shawn Marion guarding Kobe.

If anybody has footage from this game or knows where I could find it it would be greatly appreciated.

Game Log

Last edited by Batguano on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject:

The one at the 4:35 mark seems close to what you're describing...

https://mobile.twitter.com/showtimeforum/status/1240684899465449473
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:

Thank you.

It does seem eerily similar to how the game winner I'm looking for is described.

Unfortunately this is from the 2000 playoffs, and the score doesn't match.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:

Thank you.

It does seem eerily similar to how the game winner I'm looking for is described.

Unfortunately this is from the 2000 playoffs, and the score doesn't match.

Are you sure it was against the Suns? I don't even remember this game winning shot myself and I'm a huge Kobe guy!!
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject:

I will say it speaks to Kobe's greatness... the man had so many game winners we can't even remember all of them lol
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help finding RARE Kobe Game-Winner

Batguano wrote:
I know this is a longshot, but I'm looking for footage of a rare Kobe Bryant Game-Winner that I have yet to find online.

I think I've probably seen every Kobe game-winner except for this one.

The game-winner in question took place on February 13, 2001 in a game against the Phoenix Suns at Staples Center.

Game logs describe the game-winner as a 2-point jump shot from 17 feet with 2.7 seconds left in the game (Lakers won 85 to 83). Another source describes the game-winning jumper happening with Shawn Marion guarding Kobe.

If anybody has footage from this game or knows where I could find it it would be greatly appreciated.

Game Log

I don't know if this will help you find it, but you have the date wrong.

On 2/13/2001, the Lakers played the Nets, and won 113-110.

The Phoenix game happened on 2/7/2001.

Good luck on your search
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject:

If anyone has it. It's non player zealot.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I think you might be talking about this game. I have it somewhere and once put up the shot in a compilation of his that has long since been taken down and regurgitated. That comp you were just directed to had about 5 of my original clips swindled from it and yes, I'm bitter.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/pbp/200304060LAL.html

I did a recap of it too. Dunno if this is the game you're looking for since it's possible he's won more than one game against PHX over the years. The scenario and score you laid out in your first post actually sounds familiar, too. He might've done it twice in the RS and those 2 times in the playoffs.

EDIT: You actually are right after peeping bballreference, the date is off, but there is an 85-83 vs PHX gm there w/ Kobe hitting a GW. I knew it sounded familiar, but I don't think I have that game. He won 4 games against the Suns at Staples, makes it hard to sleuth it all out. Suns must've been his Cleveland Cavs a la Mike.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I think you might be talking about this game. I have it somewhere and once put up the shot in a compilation of his that has long since been taken down and regurgitated. That comp you were just directed to had about 5 of my original clips swindled from it and yes, I'm bitter.

I did a recap of it too. Dunno if this is the game you're looking for since it's possible he's won more than one game against PHX over the years. The scenario and score you laid out in your first post actually sounds familiar, too. He might've done it twice in the RS and those 2 times in the playoffs.

EDIT: You actually are right after peeping bballreference, the date is off, but there is an 85-83 vs PHX gm there w/ Kobe hitting a GW. I knew it sounded familiar, but I don't think I have that game. He won 4 games against the Suns at Staples, makes it hard to sleuth it all out. Suns must've been his Cleveland Cavs a la Mike.

Chick's voice is like hearing the Superman/Star Wars/Indiana Jones theme songs. Takes me RIGHT back to elementary school in the 80s.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Hey, I really appreciate it, man.

It's very confusing since, as you said, he seems to have about 4 game-winners against the suns (2 playoffs, 2 regular season) and they all happen to be from similar spots on the floor, and Shawn Marion was on Suns during all 4 (he's even the defensive victim of the one you just posted).

Here are all the game-winners that Kobe has had against the Suns.

1) Playoff Game-Winner over Jason Kidd in Game 2 of the 2000 WCSFs. May 10th, 2000

2) Regular season Game-Winner over Shawn Marion. February 7th, 2001. [NO VIDEO AVAILABLE. This is the one I'm looking for]

3) Regular season Game-Winner over Shawn Marion. April 6th, 2003.

4) Playoff Game-Winner in Game 4 of the 2006 WCQFs. April 30th, 2006.

BTW, I want to thank you since I recently came across a RARE Kobe Game Winner against the Nuggets in the 2002 season which I believe came from one of your recent uploads.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject:

Speaking of RARE Kobe Game-Winners, I also came across this one during the 2004 playoffs vs the Rockets.

I remember this shot but for whatever reason I've never seen it in any of the "Kobe Game Winners" compilations even though most of them include "eventual game-winners" that took place with more than 24 seconds left on the game-clock.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

BTW, I want to thank you since I recently came across a RARE Kobe Game Winner against the Nuggets in the 2002 season which I believe came from one of your recent uploads.

True, that one was probably the most borderline GW of his from a tightwad technical perspective since he hit the shot and about the last minute was a slew of nothing but bricks from everyone, but it still counts as a GW. And he's had 2 taken away from him. There was the 06 Celtics one where he hit what would've been a GW, but his last remaining fingertip was on the ball at 0:00. His middle fingertip, the absolute closest you could get to not getting it off in time. I was annoyed that night. That sucked. Then there was the 03 Pacers GW that was swiped from him and Horry then casually picked up instead (casual as always for him). You can be the biggest supafan of Kob'z and not be wrong about him being in the shooting motion before the refs waived it off. They will never give a shot like that to the shooter no matter how exposed they look. He was visibly pissed even after Horry hit it. Stu and Sundy all pissed too.

2003 was my favorite Kobe year, I think. He was unreal that year with the bulk. Similar to 2006, but in my mind, he hit more circus shots in 03 than any other year, tho that's up to individual perspective.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Speaking of RARE Kobe Game-Winners, I also came across this one during the 2004 playoffs vs the Rockets.

I remember this shot but for whatever reason I've never seen it in any of the "Kobe Game Winners" compilations even though most of them include "eventual game-winners" that took place with more than 24 seconds left on the game-clock.

I was looking at 2004 on bballref about a month ago and I was reminded of Gm1. 72-71 final. Iirc, Shaq got a dunk or a score at the end, but naysty ugly. It was weird how that team, even with all 4 big names, could have such ugly offensive droughts, night to night and quarter to quarter.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Batguano wrote:

I was looking at 2004 on bballref about a month ago and I was reminded of Gm1. 72-71 final. Iirc, Shaq got a dunk or a score at the end, but naysty ugly. It was weird how that team, even with all 4 big names, could have such ugly offensive droughts, night to night and quarter to quarter.

Hellish spacing, Payton past his prime, Malone past his prime, fat Shaq, angry Kobe, no talent off the bench, and everyone looked perpetually exhausted after years of long playoff runs. At least they knew to bust their ass on D - which, mind you, usually doesn't help offensive output (not when transition offense is sacrilegious).
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject:

This is a tough one. Hard to find. This site suggests it has a video, but the link doesn't work. Link
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
This is a tough one. Hard to find. This site suggests it has a video, but the link doesn't work. Link

Very tough. Thanks for the effort, though.

The video isn't available anymore but I have my doubts that it contained the clip. I've been watching these Kobe game winner compilations for years now. That list of game winners was taken from the original uploader who had it in his video description but the actual clip was never part of the actual video compilation.

It's the same as that game-winner vs the Nuggets in 2002. It was always listed but it didn't become available on youtube until fairly recently when zealot uploaded the game to his channel.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

The video isn't available anymore but I have my doubts that it contained the clip. I've been watching these Kobe game winner compilations for years now. That list of game winners was taken from the original uploader who had it in his video description but the actual clip was never part of the actual video compilation.

It's the same as that game-winner vs the Nuggets in 2002. It was always listed but it didn't become available on youtube until fairly recently when zealot uploaded the game to his channel.

Noticed the same after I posted. Seems like this is *the* missing video in all the compilations. I'd love to see it. A jumper in Marion's grill with less than 3 seconds on the clock? Beautiful. I guess you could try reaching out to KTLA?
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Noticed the same after I posted. Seems like this is *the* missing video in all the compilations. I'd love to see it. A jumper in Marion's grill with less than 3 seconds on the clock? Beautiful. I guess you could try reaching out to KTLA?

That's...actually not a bad idea...

Being that there's so many LA locals on this board I wonder if anyone here would have a more direct line to them.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Here's another rare game-winner I think I found.

According to this on BBallRef Kobe had a game-winner against the Pistons on March 15, 2001.

I was able to find these highlights from the game, but it's hard to figure out which of the shots is the game-winner (since the narration is in a foreign language). But I assume it's the last jumper in the clip...?

If anybody could confirm that that is indeed the game-winner referenced on BBallRef it would be great.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if this is the shot in this little Instagram clip?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBfsFD2rOxM/
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:

Nice find! It matches in the initial description in the LA Times recap, although not really with the second description.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2001-feb-08-sp-22796-story.html

Quote:
Then he made the shot that would win the game, that would send the Lakers happily to their golf engagements and family outings and down time. He made a 17-foot jump shot over Shawn Marion, after one jab step and one dribble, with 2.7 seconds remaining.

Quote:
Phoenix, which rallied from a lethargic start and a 16-point deficit late in the third quarter, tied the score, 83-83, on Tom Gugliotta’s three-point shot with 11.5 seconds left. On the Lakers’ possession, as time fell off the clock, Bryant stood on the right wing, eight players to his left, he and Marion alone.

“I was hanging all up in his face,” Marion said. “I tried to get a piece of it. But it went down and that was that. You can watch the tape. I almost got it.”

It was a shot reminiscent of the one Bryant made to win a playoff game against Phoenix last year, and not 15 feet from the same spot.

I'm leaning towards YES.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Batguano wrote:

True, that one was probably the most borderline GW of his from a tightwad technical perspective since he hit the shot and about the last minute was a slew of nothing but bricks from everyone, but it still counts as a GW. And he's had 2 taken away from him. There was the 06 Celtics one where he hit what would've been a GW, but his last remaining fingertip was on the ball at 0:00. His middle fingertip, the absolute closest you could get to not getting it off in time. I was annoyed that night. That sucked. Then there was the 03 Pacers GW that was swiped from him and Horry then casually picked up instead (casual as always for him). You can be the biggest supafan of Kob'z and not be wrong about him being in the shooting motion before the refs waived it off. They will never give a shot like that to the shooter no matter how exposed they look. He was visibly pissed even after Horry hit it. Stu and Sundy all pissed too.

2003 was my favorite Kobe year, I think. He was unreal that year with the bulk. Similar to 2006, but in my mind, he hit more circus shots in 03 than any other year, tho that's up to individual perspective.

dude....your clips are so good.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Yeah. I remember the waived off game-winner vs the Celtics. I recently came across one of those "rewind" youtube clips that gets into great detail about the scenario:

It wasn't in 06, though. It was during the 2002 season. Because I distinctly remember only a couple of games later (maybe even the very next game, I'm not sure) he would go on to hit a game-winner against the Hornets at the buzzer. And Stu Lantz references the GW vs the Celtics that should've counted.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:

Wow, dude.....

WOW!!!!!

That HAS to be it!!! Even if it isn't (which I doubt), I've definitely NEVER seen this particular game winner before.

Bro, you just made my night.

So there's definitely footage of the game winner. I know it's spoiled but now I would LOVE to find the full clip with the announcer commentary and the game sounds.

Thanks again!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Username wrote:

Wow, dude.....

WOW!!!!!

That HAS to be it!!! Even if it isn't (which I doubt), I've definitely NEVER seen this particular game winner before.

Bro, you just made my night.

So there's definitely footage of the game winner. I know it's spoiled but now I would LOVE to find the full clip with the announcer commentary and the game sounds.

Thanks again!

Nah, that's not it. Right game, of course. But that's clearly a shot over J-Kidd. The game logs and recaps say it was over Marion. Right game, wrong shot (i think).

Hard to freeze it, but it definitely looks like a #32 on the screen, not 31. Maybe the recaps are wrong?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: