NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
kwase wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Welp. USA just passed China and Italy on Worldometer. Not that I trust the China number.

Nonetheless, sucks to be #1.

Yep, I just looked at the numbers. Makes you wonder how we got to be #1, overtaking China with a 2.1 billion population. If it's tourism then why didn't the Caribbean get hit, because their numbers are really low. And Russia is right next to China but their numbers are low too. How did it spread so fast to the U.S., Italy, Spain, France and Germany?

Any country that did not take this seriously is (bleep). We don't have a lockdown. We are way behind in testing. The people are not taking this seriously. We don't have an integrated healthcare system that can effectively communicate and track cases. We have a 3rd world level healthcare system.

In all fairness, all countries should retool their healthcare facilities and rethink their strategies and protocols.

Covid-19 is not even that menacing but we already see most systems collapsing.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
kwase wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Welp. USA just passed China and Italy on Worldometer. Not that I trust the China number.

Nonetheless, sucks to be #1.

Yep, I just looked at the numbers. Makes you wonder how we got to be #1, overtaking China with a 2.1 billion population. If it's tourism then why didn't the Caribbean get hit, because their numbers are really low. And Russia is right next to China but their numbers are low too. How did it spread so fast to the U.S., Italy, Spain, France and Germany?

One Italian article questioned if soccer games might have had a huge impact. The first confirmed cases in Italy were two people traveling from China on Jan 31st. February 19 was something like a first round playoff game for Atalanta in Bergamo vs Valencia from Spain attended by 40,000 people from all over Spain and Italy.

and we had our basketball games and marathons...
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
a different drug claiming incredible success (95%) in china...
it is supposed to work for severe cases by stopping cytokline storms (immune system gone amuck)
global trials starting early april, but a us trial may be starting (not sure when)

"Promising arthritis drug being used to treat coronavirus patients in China helped to cure 95 PER CENT of critically ill patients, scientists claim
Tocilizumab, marketed as Actemra, is taken by patients with rheumatoid arthritis
It reduces inflammation, which is considered a complication of COVID-19
It causes lung damage and organ failure, eventually death in most cases
Chinese doctors gave it to 20 patients during the peak of the countries epidemic
Nineteen were discharged within 14 days despite being critically ill
Actemra has now been approved for use in China and for trials in the US"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8151865/Arthritis-drug-helped-cure-95-critically-ill-coronavirus-patients-scientists-claim.html

I hope they're talking about inflammation, not the drug itself!

They're talking about inflammation.

This interleukin-6 inhibitor is a fairly new drug developed in Japan.

I'm liking the Pro's and Con's.

I hope this is it.

@hero ball

there are other IL's that mediate inflammation and this type of immune response. do you know why they specifically developed a monoclonal antibody for IL6?

Based on Rheumatoid Arthritis applications:

Quote:
Interleukin-6 (IL-6) is a major pro-inflammatory cytokine with pleiotropic functions [1]. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic autoimmune disorder, and IL-6 is a key player of immune activation and inflammation in RA. Therefore, IL-6 inhibition is a compelling strategy to control RA

My guess is the drug inhibits ALL types of cytokine related inflammations.

Imagine a patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis who also got Covid.

You give them this drug...

Bam! How efficient is that!
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

wow, kansas doctors using hydroxychloroquine/zithromax off label in a number of ways without a trial based on limited study data from france and china.
1. for sick patients and their family members
2. emt workers

TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
wow, kansas doctors using hydroxychloroquine/zithromax off label in a number of ways without a trial based on limited study data from france and china.
1. for sick patients and their family members
2. emt workers

At least on the trial front, there's a study going on in Oregon at a veteran's home, another in Washington state, New York is launching a pretty large study as well, I would expect with enough structure to supplement the already abundant anecdotal evidence that this stuff works.

I think it's telling that doctors are willing to administer this. A lot of doctors have been providing it, not just in Kansas. I don't think they would risk lives nor their licenses without a fair level of confidence in the viability of this approach.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
it is supposed to work for severe cases by stopping cytokline storms (immune system gone amuck)
global trials starting early april, but a us trial may be starting (not sure when)

"Promising arthritis drug being used to treat coronavirus patients in China helped to cure 95 PER CENT of critically ill patients, scientists claim
Tocilizumab, marketed as Actemra, is taken by patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Chinese doctors gave it to 20 patients during the peak of the countries epidemic

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8151865/Arthritis-drug-helped-cure-95-critically-ill-coronavirus-patients-scientists-claim.html

I hope this is it.

Yeah I was kidding about the bolded, although that would be a helluva disclaimer to sneak in that rapidly spoken end of a TV ad!

It's good to see another potential solution. I hope so too.

This is what gives me that rare feeling of hope in this pandemic; knowing people are doing their best to keep the transmission rate down, and that the best and brightest minds in medical research around the world are working to win this fight.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/second-wave-coronavirus-wuhan-ends-social-distancing-too-early

Second Wave of Coronavirus could hit the World, might be even worst than the first
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
https://www.foxnews.com/science/second-wave-coronavirus-wuhan-ends-social-distancing-too-early

Second Wave of Coronavirus could hit the World, might be even worst than the first

I hope it's not as bad as car accidents:

US car accident deaths: 9,000 in 3 months
US coronavirus deaths: 1,000 in 3 months
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Just remember these things:

1) COVID-19 can live in the air for hours after an infected person leaves a room.

2) COVID-19 can live on surfaces for days after an infected person has touched or coughed on it.

3) Asymptomatic people can still spread COVID-19 by cough, touch, kiss or even breathing on or near you.

4) Smokers have a much worse prognosis, regardless of age.

5) COVID-19 is a VIRUS, which means mutation is exponentially more LIKELY with increased number of confirmed cases, meaning 2nd, 3rd and 4th waves of the pandemic if we do NOT increase testing and isolation 1000-fold in the next week (IMHO).

Use aloe and alcohol to make your own hand sanitizer if you can't find it. If worse comes to worse, a small amount of bleach then wash hands with soap.

Be safe...it will take all of us to win this. If even 1 infected/exposed person ignores the potential of COVID-19, he can start the cycle all over again.

US flu deaths in 1 year: 81,000
US coronavirus deaths in 3 months: 1,000
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
i thought the title says no politics smh.. just shame everyone on this board who doesnt share the same opinions/views as you. makes sense.

Makes political comment about trump then cries no politics.......smh.

FYI Trump cannot "open" anything. It's up to the State Governers. I highly doubt Andrew Cuomo or Gavin Newsome are going to lift the shelter in place orders because Trump asks them to.

So your original sentiment is complete nonsense. Trump is not and never was in the driver seat.

Trump can say one thing, but I doubt opening in Easter will actually happen. It will be interesting to see if the big states like CA, NY, IL will follow through if it does. All depends on what will happen in these next couple weeks.

March 17, the US had just over 4,450 cases, that was just 1 week ago. But now this week it’s exponentially ballooned to over 60,000+ cases.

We’re only in the beginning of this Pandemic.

There have been 54 MILLION flu cases just this past winter in the US.
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
People are at work on stopping this virus.

Let's all be patient.

The flu vaccine is not very effective. It has some positive effect in about 40% of those vaccinated. In other words, the majority of those vaccinated will not benefit in any noticeable way.
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Since it seems likely that we're all going to get this sooner or later, now I'm wishing I'd gotten sick a month ago, when ICU beds were more readily available. 20/20 hindsight.

There is no shortage of hospital beds. That is just a hypothetical scenario.

In New York state for example, a total of just 8 people are currently hospitalized with coronavirus.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

stillthe1 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

you need to learn what exponential growth means to understand the threat.

as this is your posts 1-3, u may have signed up just to cause trouble?
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Wuhan and China in general have:

1. the highest rates of smokers in the entire world. Nearly 60% of Chinese men smoke.

2. the highest rates of pollution in the world.

Absent these health risks, other countries will not be as greatly impacted as China.
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject:

[quote="cal1piggy"][quote="Hero Ball"][quote="RI Laker"]
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:

the virus is doubling its cases between 5-7 days.

That is complete speculation.

It is not based upon actual confirmed cases based on testing.

It is based on worst case scenario speculation based upon statistical guesswork.
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
stillthe1 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Exponential growth is pure speculation. No one knows how many people actually have coronavirus because there is almost no testing.
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Teens filming themselves coughing near produce and others at Grocery

https://fox8.com/news/police-investigate-disturbing-video-of-teens-coughing-on-produce/

Florida Spring Breakers testing positive for Coronavirus

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/spring-breakers-from-university-of-tampa-test-positive-for-coronavirus/amp/

4 students, yes.

Keep in mind there are up to 80 million cases of flu every year in the US.
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
unfortunate it appears that ny cases and deaths have started to explode. they acted too late to stop the initial wave

hope these stats are wrong: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

We really can't trust any stats, good or bad. We know that testing is being done selectively (with good reason). We also know that some other countries are being less than transparent in their reporting. Are the cases really exploding in New York? Maybe, but it's hard to be sure.

i believe it is more reliable to look at death stats

So .. Aeneas is right, the current numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt since they include BOTH confirmed AND presumptive cases. See for yourself in this CDC bulletin, which is driving most other reporting sites e.g WHO:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
Understand that presumptive almost always means that the person was not admitted, not tested for Covid-19 and sent home for self-quarantine.
Now, other CDC data suggests that of the people being tested, roughly 5% are testing positive while 95% are testing negative for Covid-19 (as of around March 17). So as of last week it's likely that a lot of these presumptive cases actually do not have Covid-19.
This whole presumptive vs confirmed situation should resolve in a week to 2 weeks when (hopefully) tests/testing become pervasive and trivial, and there's no need for the CDC to consider/include presumptive numbers. Until then hopefully social distancing and quarantine measures keep the infection rate down - let's really really hope and pray.

Oh and you're absolutely right, it's much more reliable to look at deaths for this same reason.

Presumptive means they used the CDC flawed kit (first batch) and came out positive. Still needs to be double checked with a correct kit but almost always is positive. The presumptive numbers were for those early March numbers where a lot of tests were done with the flawed cdc kits. My guess most of the positives from today came from our commercial lab kits. They are not presumptive at all.

Worldometers is pretty accurate as they come. They source their numbers from state news so the numbers are more up to date than CDCs. If you track CDCs numbers they pretty much track worldometer.

Neither cases nor death rates are accurate.

The only country with significant testing is South Korea.

In every other country it is statistical guesswork, typically positing worst case scenarios. There is zero testing to back up the hypothetical case numbers.

Even death rates are unreliable. Those dying are typically over 70, smokers, live in highly polluted areas, are overweight, suffer from heart disease, or have a combination of other risk factors.

This simply means that we can't say whether they died from coronavirus or some other health problem.
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

I hope this is it.

Yeah I was kidding about the bolded, although that would be a helluva disclaimer to sneak in that rapidly spoken end of a TV ad!

This is what gives me that rare feeling of hope in this pandemic; knowing people are doing their best to keep the transmission rate down, and that the best and brightest minds in medical research around the world are working to win this fight.

It also means you've been completely stripped of all civil rights overnight in what is supposedly the most free country in the world.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject:

stillthe1 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
stillthe1 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Exponential growth is pure speculation. No one knows how many people actually have coronavirus because there is almost no testing.

if there is no exponential growth, how did it reach even the level of cases it has reached ?
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

I hope this is it.

actually there is another monoclonal antibody drug that goes after a different target already in trials in nyc.

so one antibody goes after IL6 while the other drug goes after the IL6 receptor
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
stillthe1 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
stillthe1 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

if there is no exponential growth, how did it reach even the level of cases it has reached ?

As I have tried to explain, the total number of cases is strictly speculative. The total number of those infected is unknown. It could be 10x as high as reported, or it could be zero, or any number in between.
stillthe1
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

I hope this is it.

actually there is another monoclonal antibody drug that goes after a different target already in trials in nyc.

so one antibody goes after IL6 while the other drug goes after the IL6 receptor

The current flu vaccine is effective in only 40% of cases. That means most do not benefit. There is little reason to believe a coronavirus vaccine will be any more effective.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject:

stillthe1 wrote:
The current flu vaccine is effective in only 40% of cases. That means most do not benefit. There is little reason to believe a coronavirus vaccine will be any more effective.

I'm not a medical expert, but I'm not sure that this is a fair comparison. A coronavirus vaccine would be specifically tailored to the coronavirus. Anyway, just a 40% effectiveness rate would have a huge effect on the spread of the disease. It's the same exponential effect that we've seen illustrated elsewhere.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject:

stillthe1 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
stillthe1 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
stillthe1 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

As I have tried to explain, the total number of cases is strictly speculative. The total number of those infected is unknown. It could be 10x as high as reported, or it could be zero, or any number in between.

no, the number of confirmed cases means the number of cases that were tested.

the only way to get the number of confirmed cases is to have exponential growth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 63 of 130
Jump to: