THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2158, 2159, 2160 ... 2182, 2183, 2184  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 18478
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
Where is Joe? Would be great for him to show his face somewhere. Some leadership? Cisco Webex ? Zoom ?


He does online video briefings everyday. This whole "where's Joe's" thing is both a left wing and right wing disingenuous meme. The whole country is on lockdown, he can't do campaign rallies. And the entire media is obsessed with showing Trump's lying live "press" conference everyday. It's a replay of 2016 when Hillary would give policy speeches everyday that the press wouldn't cover because they were obsessed with showing Trump's rallies live.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 18478
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jared Yates Sexton @JYSexton

Thousands upon thousands of people are going to die an agonizing death, alone, frightened, their loved ones kept at a distance, because the President of the United States is a broken person who hasn’t a shred of humanity.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 18478
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

President Trump just claimed on Hannity that governors are asking for medical equipment (ie masks and ventilators) and other resources to fight the coronavirus that they don’t need.

“A lot of equipment is being asked for that I don’t think they will need,” Trump said.


What a (bleep) bastard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 20560
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

President Trump just claimed on Hannity that governors are asking for medical equipment (ie masks and ventilators) and other resources to fight the coronavirus that they don’t need.

“A lot of equipment is being asked for that I don’t think they will need,” Trump said.


What a (bleep) bastard.


He also disparaged Jay Inslee by name and then didn't even call Gretchen Whitmer by her name when talking about her, he said something like "you know, that woman governor" or something to that effect.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 18478
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Here's another gem:

Quote:
TRUMP on New York’s ventilator needs for the coronavirus outbreak:

"I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, you go into major hospitals sometimes, they'll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they're saying can we order 30,000 ventilators?"


Is he really that stupid about what's going on?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 20560
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Here's another gem:

Quote:
TRUMP on New York’s ventilator needs for the coronavirus outbreak:

"I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, you go into major hospitals sometimes, they'll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they're saying can we order 30,000 ventilators?"


Is he really that stupid about what's going on?


YES!
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 26208

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
paymonM wrote:
Where is Joe? Would be great for him to show his face somewhere. Some leadership? Cisco Webex ? Zoom ?


He does online video briefings everyday. This whole "where's Joe's" thing is both a left wing and right wing disingenuous meme. The whole country is on lockdown, he can't do campaign rallies. And the entire media is obsessed with showing Trump's lying live "press" conference everyday. It's a replay of 2016 when Hillary would give policy speeches everyday that the press wouldn't cover because they were obsessed with showing Trump's rallies live.

Every

Freaking

Day
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 18478
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject:

repeating this:

Here's a Biden commercial doing exactly what I mentioned a couple of weeks ago when I said these campaign commercials write themselves. It's all video of Trump's lying and attacking the press at these briefings with numbers of corona cases superimposed over him as the dates on the calendar move forward. Really well done.

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1243126834612572162
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 18478
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

President Trump just claimed on Hannity that governors are asking for medical equipment (ie masks and ventilators) and other resources to fight the coronavirus that they don’t need.

“A lot of equipment is being asked for that I don’t think they will need,” Trump said.


What a (bleep) bastard.


He also disparaged Jay Inslee by name and then didn't even call Gretchen Whitmer by her name when talking about her, he said something like "you know, that woman governor" or something to that effect.


Quote:
.@POTUS on @GovWhitmer: "She's not stepping up. I don't know if she knows what's going on, but all she does is sit there and blame the federal government. She doesn't get it done... Now she wants a declaration of emergency, and you know, we'll have to make a decision on that."


He's (bleep) with innocent lives because of that tiny desperate ego always trying to overcompensate. Malignant narcissist.

Our REPUBLICAN governor in blue Massachusetts went on a rant against Trump in his press conference this afternoon, complaining that the administration is giving them no support. He's playing Apprentice with federal help. There are no words to accurately express how deeply I despise him. But I'll keep trying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Feb 2002
Posts: 3614
Location: South Orange County

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
repeating this:

Here's a Biden commercial doing exactly what I mentioned a couple of weeks ago when I said these campaign commercials write themselves. It's all video of Trump's lying and attacking the press at these briefings with numbers of corona cases superimposed over him as the dates on the calendar move forward. Really well done.

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1243126834612572162


Love it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Dec 2013
Posts: 5176

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
Where is Joe? Would be great for him to show his face somewhere. Some leadership? Cisco Webex ? Zoom ?

What, are you too lazy to do a google search?
Unclench tough guy, unclench.
_________________
Whomever smelt it, dealt it.
-Nikola Tesla

Ass cash or grass, Nobody rides for free.
-Mahatma Ghandi

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
-Rick Astley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 20560
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject:

We are living in the Twilight Zone. Jumped the shark. Living in an alternative universe.

https://twitter.com/alexsalvinews/status/1243429669505912832
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 51345
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
We are living in the Twilight Zone. Jumped the shark. Living in an alternative universe.

https://twitter.com/alexsalvinews/status/1243429669505912832


Trumps seems willing to bailout the cruise lines. Companies that pay no taxes but reluctant to spend 1 billion to save lives. He's one sick person.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 8094
Location: Irvine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
Where is Joe? Would be great for him to show his face somewhere. Some leadership? Cisco Webex ? Zoom ?


You won't find him if you aren't looking
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Palin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 1309

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/joe-biden-faces-sexual-assault-211641946.html

so this counts #metoo or #russianhoax ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 18478
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
paymonM wrote:
Where is Joe? Would be great for him to show his face somewhere. Some leadership? Cisco Webex ? Zoom ?


He does online video briefings everyday. This whole "where's Joe's" thing is both a left wing and right wing disingenuous meme. The whole country is on lockdown, he can't do campaign rallies. And the entire media is obsessed with showing Trump's lying live "press" conference everyday. It's a replay of 2016 when Hillary would give policy speeches everyday that the press wouldn't cover because they were obsessed with showing Trump's rallies live.


CNN to host town hall with Joe Biden on coronavirus - Friday night at 8 pm EST

Quote:
Former Vice President Joe Biden will participate in a live CNN town hall Friday night focused on the coronavirus, the network announced Thursday.

"The Coronavirus Pandemic A CNN Democratic Presidential Town Hall with Joe Biden" will air at 8 p.m. ET and feature questions submitted by individuals living in some of the communities hit hardest by the coronavirus. CNN's Anderson Cooper will moderate the hourlong discussion on the impact to Americans' health, the repercussions for the nation's economy and the human toll to US society.

Biden will join the town hall via satellite from his home studio in Delaware. The Democratic presidential candidate has been critical of President Donald Trump's response to the pandemic, and this week he told CNN's Jake Tapper that he thinks Trump should allow the experts and scientists to do the talking.

"Look, we all want the economy to open as rapidly as possible," Biden told Tapper. "The way to do that is let's take care of the medical side of this immediately. ... (Trump's) not responsible for the coronavirus, but he's responsible for the delay in taking the actions that need to be taken, as far back as January."

Biden: Trump should 'stop talking and start listening to the medical experts'

The former vice president has delivered remarks on the coronavirus outbreak via livestream from his home in Delaware, and he has said he plans to hold regular briefings on the response to the pandemic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 11136

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Here's a Biden commercial doing exactly what I mentioned a couple of weeks ago when I said these campaign commercials write themselves. It's all video of Trump's lying and attacking the press at these briefings with numbers of corona cases superimposed over him as the dates on the calendar move forward. Really well done.

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1243126834612572162


Here is a cease and desist letter from Trump's team to ban a similar ad using Trump's own words. They say that the ad (in other words, Trump's own words) is "patently false, misleading, and deceptive." Now if we can get them to admit nearly everything he says is patently false, misleading, and deceptive, we've made some real progress.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 11136

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject:

Maybe it's time we get to know Catherine Cortez Masto.

Biden reportedly told former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid that Senator Catherine Cortez Masto is in his "top three" picks for the role of his running mate
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 20560
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Maybe it's time we get to know Catherine Cortez Masto.

Biden reportedly told former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid that Senator Catherine Cortez Masto is in his "top three" picks for the role of his running mate


I still see her listed at 15-to-1, the 6th choice. Might be a decent value bet! I wonder if he's just saying that to throw Reid a bone, as both are from Nevada, but who knows.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 26208

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject:

Anyone with a NYT subscription willing to throw the impoverished a bone during these trying times? Just a few relevant paragraphs?

Bonanza for rich real estate investors, tucked into stimulus package
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 26208

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
trmiv wrote:
Shame McConnell. lol


Yet he can shame Pelosi successfully in this calculus?

"Shame" here means McConnell is a sociopath indifferent to hundreds of thousands of people dying whereas Nancy Pelosi is not that.

ETA: it's also a bill that needs to go past Trump to whom nothing matters except himself and who gets off on others' pain.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY


Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 18478
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Anyone with a NYT subscription willing to throw the impoverished a bone during these trying times? Just a few relevant paragraphs?

Bonanza for rich real estate investors, tucked into stimulus package


Quote:
It also includes a potential bonanza for America’s richest real estate investors.

Senate Republicans inserted an easy-to-overlook provision on page 203 of the 880-page bill that would permit wealthy investors to use losses generated by real estate to minimize their taxes on profits from things like investments in the stock market. The estimated cost of the change over 10 years is $170 billion.

Under the existing tax code, when real estate investors generate losses from gradually writing down the value of their properties, a process known as depreciation, they can use some of those losses to offset other taxes. The result is that people can enjoy big tax breaks stemming from only-on-paper losses, even if they enjoy big cash profits in the real world.

But the use of those losses was limited by the 2017 tax-cut package. The losses could be used only to shelter the first $500,000 of a married couple’s nonbusiness income, such as capital gains from investments. Any leftover losses got rolled over to future years.

The new stimulus bill lifts that restriction for three years — this year, and two retroactive years — a boon for couples with more than $500,000 in annual capital gains or income from sources other than their business. That group comprises the top 1 percent of taxpayers, according to Internal Revenue Service data.

A draft congressional analysis this week found that the change is the second-biggest tax giveaway in the $2 trillion stimulus package.
That cost analysis also includes the impact of some smaller technical changes to the law. Other industries, like oil and gas and commodities trading, also stand to benefit from the change.


In other words it benefits Trump, his friends and most wealthy GOP Senators.

Quote:
n 2018, The New York Times reported that Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump’s son-in-law and adviser, likely didn’t pay federal income taxes for several years because of paper losses generated by depreciating his companies’ properties, despite his significant wealth and earnings from other sources, according to confidential financial documents.

Mr. Trump has also reported significant losses on his tax return. Portions of a 1995 tax return published by The Times showed nearly $916 million in losses, which could have permitted him to avoid paying any federal income taxes for almost two decades.

The 2017 law restricted both men’s abilities to reap tax savings through only-on-paper losses; now, with those limits likely to be lifted, Mr. Trump and Mr. Kushner, as well as other wealthy real estate developers, have the potential to score big tax savings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 26208

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Anyone with a NYT subscription willing to throw the impoverished a bone during these trying times? Just a few relevant paragraphs?

Bonanza for rich real estate investors, tucked into stimulus package


Quote:
It also includes a potential bonanza for America’s richest real estate investors.

Senate Republicans inserted an easy-to-overlook provision on page 203 of the 880-page bill that would permit wealthy investors to use losses generated by real estate to minimize their taxes on profits from things like investments in the stock market. The estimated cost of the change over 10 years is $170 billion.

Under the existing tax code, when real estate investors generate losses from gradually writing down the value of their properties, a process known as depreciation, they can use some of those losses to offset other taxes. The result is that people can enjoy big tax breaks stemming from only-on-paper losses, even if they enjoy big cash profits in the real world.

But the use of those losses was limited by the 2017 tax-cut package. The losses could be used only to shelter the first $500,000 of a married couple’s nonbusiness income, such as capital gains from investments. Any leftover losses got rolled over to future years.

The new stimulus bill lifts that restriction for three years — this year, and two retroactive years — a boon for couples with more than $500,000 in annual capital gains or income from sources other than their business. That group comprises the top 1 percent of taxpayers, according to Internal Revenue Service data.

A draft congressional analysis this week found that the change is the second-biggest tax giveaway in the $2 trillion stimulus package.
That cost analysis also includes the impact of some smaller technical changes to the law. Other industries, like oil and gas and commodities trading, also stand to benefit from the change.


In other words it benefits Trump, his friends and most wealthy GOP Senators.

Quote:
n 2018, The New York Times reported that Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump’s son-in-law and adviser, likely didn’t pay federal income taxes for several years because of paper losses generated by depreciating his companies’ properties, despite his significant wealth and earnings from other sources, according to confidential financial documents.

Mr. Trump has also reported significant losses on his tax return. Portions of a 1995 tax return published by The Times showed nearly $916 million in losses, which could have permitted him to avoid paying any federal income taxes for almost two decades.

The 2017 law restricted both men’s abilities to reap tax savings through only-on-paper losses; now, with those limits likely to be lifted, Mr. Trump and Mr. Kushner, as well as other wealthy real estate developers, have the potential to score big tax savings.

Thank you very much!
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2001
Posts: 15996
Location: Orlando

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

This is why DeSuckis won’t shut down Florida. It’s all about the Benjamins

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/03/25/gov-ron-desantis-wont-shut-down-florida-heres-who-hes-talking-to-about-that/?clavis&utm_expid=.rZxRlJI0T86fmAabR1Jv8w.1&utm_referrer=

Quote:


Some of the the state’s largest business groups, which donate millions to Republican candidates each year, have been lobbying DeSantis and his staff to keep the state open.

The Florida Chamber of Commerce have spoken frequently with the governor and his staff, urging him not to take drastic measures that might shut down the state’s economy. The Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association has been asking for ways to help their industries stay afloat.

Their message: don’t let the cure be worse than the disease.

“We’re recommending that the governor continue to do what he’s doing,” said Florida Chamber President and CEO Mark Wilson. “I don’t think the data says we need to do a statewide shutdown.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22571
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject:

^^Like life. This bill is a mix of good and bad.

Of course the Democratic House should pass it. There is good in this bill. It's the only option they have for helping Americans since the Senate took that BS 1 month vacation.
At the same time, it's fine for House members to acknowledge the bad in it as well.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2158, 2159, 2160 ... 2182, 2183, 2184  Next
Page 2159 of 2184
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB