NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

more positive anecdotal info on actemra

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2020/03/28/treatment-gets-five-out-of-intensive-care/

"Dominican Today
Treatment gets five out of Intensive Care

At least five patients, including some doctors, have overcome the critical state of health in which they had fallen due to the coronavirus and been moved from the Intensive Care units to normal hospital wards, after undergoing an expensive treatment that is producing good results.

Of the patients who have responded adequately to treatment, there are four from Santiago: Dr. Daniel Rivera, president of the Board of Directors of the Unión Médica Clinic, urologist Fausto Hernández, ex-governor José Izquierdo and patient Juan Ramón. In Santo Domingo, the political leader of San Pedro de Macorís, Senator José Hazim, while Dr. Felix Antonio Cruz Jiminián has presented significant improvement, although he is still in intensive care with mechanical respiration, admitted to the General Hospital of the Plaza de health.

The details were offered by the Minister of Public Health, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas, on the eighth day of the virtual press conference to report the updates to the Covid-19. He said it is a non-over-the-counter medicine that is applied intravenously and is applied to critically ill patients with complicated pneumonia.

A drug used in the treatment of arthritis patients has been applied to these patients. It is tocilizumab, a biological medicine, which is supplied through the High-Cost Medicines Program of the Ministry of Public Health.

Tocilizumab (Actemra) is a biologic medication approved to treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in adults, polyarticular juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA), and the systemic form of juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) in children. It is used to suppress the immune system in autoimmune diseases.

Biological drugs are artificial and manufactured using genetic engineering techniques and are closely related to a protein that the body produces naturally.

Dr. Sánchez Cárdenas reported that there are nine doctors registered with the virus, of whom four were in the process of their work, and others were infected on a cruise or airplane trip, and about three nurses."
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Do you assume blood samples or swab samples are rendered useless just because the patient dies?

sure the results will show up in the doctor files from the lab.
but testing take days as everyone knows.

if the patient died, do u really expect these doctors to remember which is what a few days later after how many patients later?
they, sort of, have more important things to worry about, like saving people and not getting contaminated.

the public health people already compiled the info for everyone, but yet there must be some type of lunatic conspiratory theory about how the virus is not so bad.

testing takes days and if so,,,so what?

Does the result matter?

Quote:
the public health people already compiled the info for everyone,

who do you think feeds them the stats?

stats people can access the info without wasting doctor time.

this is a crisis?

then who gives the diagnosis without seeing the report?

man...

what is the big deal?

if the person dies, dr enters viral pneumonia unspecified as cause of death
when the test comes in, dr updates if he has time.
the dr is probably so busy he cannot remember what really happened several days ago.

it may be under-reported, so it is the opposite of ur conspiracy theory.
and there are now 500000? or so tests done, so are you going to claim those tests were not done?

It's because you entered an argument you were not a part of in the first place you forgot the original topic of contention.

Anyway, I will give you a pass since I am aware now regarding your line of business.

What you are talking about there is what we call provisional diagnosis. I don't have any conspiracy theory. Think twice before you accuse me of anything because you are certainly not in any position of power, authority or to say the least knowledge.

i entered the argument because u were giving him a hard time for no apparent reason.
all u seem to be interested in is making some argument that the virus deaths are over-reported.
and all he said was he was working like a dog and patients are dying often before tests come back, which could be many days.
he is in a difficult situation putting his health at risk.
why are you talking about 'questioning some witness'...

I am giving him a hard time?

I am interested in what?

that is what appeared so to me.
i am not about to do a post-by-post breakdown
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Also looking at the worldmeter

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

US mortality rate is 1701/104205= 1.6%

Italy 10.6% ouch!
Spain 7.8%
UK 5%
China 4%
South Korea 1.5%
Germany 0.6%

Seems USA doing better as far as mortality rate.

well italy population is aged, and remember what happened when the washington state elderly home was infected.
no sure about spain.
but both countries' hospitals are overburdened.
china's epicenter was also overburdened and nobody really believe the numbers out of china.
not sure why uk is high though.
hopefully at least 1 drug comes through but the IL6 blocking drugs look good so far whereas the antivirals like chloroquine and remdisivir are unknown.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Italy 10.6% ouch!
Spain 7.8%
UK 5%
China 4%
South Korea 1.5%
Germany 0.6%

This was already predicted as median age of USA population is younger.

This will go smaller as more testing is done with more positive test outcomes.

True indeed, I believe Italy has an older population..don't know about Spain.

And I believe that South Korea did a ton of testing and the reason for low mortality rate..so I am surprised that the US is about the same.

Besides the younger age, do you think American Health Care has anything to do with it also? Like is our health care system better?

It really depends on multiple factors.

US had an undeniable advantage of time preparation though.

Whether they capitalized on it is the question.

Maybe we're just healthier than other countries? Can't be...right? Many americans are obese.
Well not me I hit the gym 4x a week lol

Well technically I don't hit the gym anymore, I just kinda make do with dumbbells and bodyweight exercises at home.

The thing I see would be another X-Factor are the drugs coming from Sanofi and Roche.

Sanofi has a lineup of antibodies against the virus and its own interleukin- 6 inhibitor.

Roche also has its own interleukin-6 inhibitor to start phase 3 trials on April.

These things might help a lot.

Buy stocks on these 2 pharmas. If you have to choose 1, buy Roche.

seems like sanofi's trials has been going on for more than 1 week but no news so far

and actemra's trials does not start until early april...

Last edited by cal1piggy on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
tkLAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Italy 10.6% ouch!
Spain 7.8%
UK 5%
China 4%
South Korea 1.5%
Germany 0.6%

And I believe that South Korea did a ton of testing and the reason for low mortality rate..so I am surprised that the US is about the same.

Besides the younger age, do you think American Health Care has anything to do with it also? Like is our health care system better?

Maybe we're just healthier than other countries? Can't be...right? Many americans are obese.

Well technically I don't hit the gym anymore, I just kinda make do with dumbbells and bodyweight exercises at home.

I've been to a lot of countries and America is without question the unhealthiest place I've ever been. We have fast food on every corner, our food is loaded with steroids and pesticides, we work more which means we have less time to cook at home which also contributes to stress. I've never seen as many depressed and overweight people in any other country the way I see it in America.

Pretty much this.

We are seeing low mortality rates right now because we are 2 to 3 weeks behind Europe in this pandemic. Exponential growth starts slow but before you know it, we will be shocked at how many people has passed over such a short period of time.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject:

stillthe1 wrote:

<snip>
Post a source for your figure. Or else it is speculation.

Also, false positives can produce a huge number of pseudo "confirmed" cases. ]

For example if a test is 99% accurate, and 10 million are tested, this will produce 100,000 false positives, more than enough to declare an "epidemic."

In other words, if you test enough people, an "epidemic" is absolutely inevitable.

I know you're banned - but still this post is so provocative I had to respond. Not to mention your challenge to the forum to provide reliable sources of data.
So far the US has conducted 112582 tests as of 4pm, March 26:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/testing-in-us.html

These tests have yielded 17,849 positives, again as of 4pm, March 26:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

The graph of the above confirmed cases over time - accurate roughly through March 16 for reasons cited in the CDC report - is the second graph on the link above. It's a trivial matter to:
a) fit a curve to this. It's super-linear for sure, whether technically it's exponential or not, who knows and really, who cares
b) compare it to the equivalent early periods of Italy & China. Many people have done it and it falls roughly between China and Italy.

Now, per the above, the number of confirmed cases has roughly doubled every 4 days up through 16 March 2020.

Those, madam, are the facts. Now we can all debate why the data is the way it is.

*Doubling of cases? Ha! we're probably just doubling our testing!
Err, yeah, that's theoretically possible, but even so that calls for 5-10X current testing so us worry-warts can happily yield to your sunny, breezy, cheery optimism, and confirm that all this is just so much hooey.

*The testing is atrocious, can't rely on that cuz of the false positives!
Err, hello, we use imperfect information all the time in every walk of life to make sensible decisions.
What makes sense is to not panic, 17,000 confirmed, 1,000 deaths. In that I have to admit you're right; I maintain hope that with the steps we've taken so far we can "bend the curve" soon and limit this to tens of thousands of deaths i.e. same ballpark as the flu.
What also makes sense is to:
* not ignore the high rate at which hotspot hospitals are admitting patients exhibiting significant respiratory distress. (The data is available on a state by state basis e.g. Georgia has it at https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report ). This will determine whether we curve out like China or we curve out like Italy.
* not attribute Italy/China's woes singularly on smoking - yet. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, provide a source that's either a study, or has actual data on patients smoking history, otherwise it's complete speculation. here is what's known - co-morbidities largely determine severity/mortality: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32173574
(In the coming months I quite believe that smoking will be traced as a major contributor to the cited co-morbidities, but, hey, until then I have to abide by the high "standard" of citation setup by you )
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject:

^yeah, he's banned. He assigned a lot of homework yet when pressed couldn't do any himself. Well, other than trying to pass a 17 day old study off as current information. Fail.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject:

I do appreciate all the news and insights into potential treatments, phase 3 trials, anecdotal evidence coming in from around the world cal1piggy and Hero Ball.

Gives me a sense of cautious optimism and hope at a time when so many are understandably anxious or depressed.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

tkLAKERS wrote:
kwase wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Italy 10.6% ouch!
Spain 7.8%
UK 5%
China 4%
South Korea 1.5%
Germany 0.6%

I've been to a lot of countries and America is without question the unhealthiest place I've ever been. We have fast food on every corner, our food is loaded with steroids and pesticides, we work more which means we have less time to cook at home which also contributes to stress. I've never seen as many depressed and overweight people in any other country the way I see it in America.

Pretty much this.

We are seeing low mortality rates right now because we are 2 to 3 weeks behind Europe in this pandemic. Exponential growth starts slow but before you know it, we will be shocked at how many people has passed over such a short period of time.

One of the reasons for all the self isolation is so our healthcare systems can catch up by getting enough masks ventilators beds and the like so we don’t run into the same issues as Italy.

I work for a health center in LA and issue is with many places as costs have gone up due to coronavirus but revenues have gone way down due to patients not coming to routine visits due to shelter at home.

The passage of the previous coronavirus bill will provide relief and funding to get the health community prepared. Testing here in California is starting to allow more people to get tested.

Additionally technology is catching up. A very quick fda approved test is available and they can make millions a

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fda-greenlights-first-covid-19-pointofcare-test-from-abbott-234449283.html

They can make a million a month and this is a potential game changer as patients can know they are positive right away and take precautions and inform people they been in contact with.

I don’t know I had this feeling yesterday that the tide is changing and the worse maybe behind us.

Being ready by Easter as trump wanted probably unrealistic but I wouldn’t be surprised by the end of the April things will be ready.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Italy 10.6% ouch!
Spain 7.8%
UK 5%
China 4%
South Korea 1.5%
Germany 0.6%

Why are our infections so high but mortality rate so low ?

The USA is also way behind in number of recovered patients. Although we had our first known case Jan 20th mostly in Washington, the current NYC outbreak has the first known patient as a woman traveling from Iran testing positive around March 1st. So looking at our number of recovered patients to confirmed cases, it suggests we have a higher percentage of unresolved, and newer cases. Many of the already confirmed cases will die in the next month.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Italy 10.6% ouch!
Spain 7.8%
UK 5%
China 4%
South Korea 1.5%
Germany 0.6%

The USA is also way behind in number of recovered patients. Although we had our first known case Jan 20th mostly in Washington, the current NYC outbreak has the first known patient as a woman traveling from Iran testing positive around March 1st. So looking at our number of recovered patients to confirmed cases, it suggests we have a higher percentage of unresolved, and newer cases. Many of the already confirmed cases will die in the next month.

but if theres a lot more tests coming then wouldnt the fatality percentage drop even lower than it is now?
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

I usually post her to talk mindless trash talk bc it’s my fun. I love the Lakers and I love LG. Just wanted to give you guys an update bc I think I actually have something to offer here and not my usual nonsense.

I’m a physician. I’m originally from SoCal. I’m taking care of COVID-19 patients. So are a lot of my friends. I live and work in a Manhattan.

First of all, it’s very scary. I’m young and healthy but I have colleagues who have gotten very sick and were also young and healthy.

Despite what media may have you believe, people are abiding well with social distancing. It’s spooky being on the streets of NYC. I biked home from the hospital yesterday and only police cars and rare taxi on the street. Rare jogger. Random homeless guy. That’s it.

In the hospital - Every ICU bed is occupied. We opened up floors in the hospital as ICU floors that were previously not. We converted other wards into moderately ill COVID wards. And it’s getting worse.

Lots of promising treatments, but still a lot of people dying. Hopefully as these clinical trials take off for Remdesivir and Toclizumab things get better. We can only hope.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Remdesivir is currently the most likely to be approved for use in COVID, but May would be the earliest
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
Remdesivir is currently the most likely to be approved for use in COVID, but May would be the earliest

Using it now. Have to enroll in clinical trial.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject:

FDA approved use, not clinical trial....but we're at least 4 to 6 weeks out
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
I usually post her to talk mindless trash talk bc it’s my fun. I love the Lakers and I love LG. Just wanted to give you guys an update bc I think I actually have something to offer here and not my usual nonsense.

I’m a physician. I’m originally from SoCal. I’m taking care of COVID-19 patients. So are a lot of my friends. I live and work in a Manhattan.

First of all, it’s very scary. I’m young and healthy but I have colleagues who have gotten very sick and were also young and healthy.

Despite what media may have you believe, people are abiding well with social distancing. It’s spooky being on the streets of NYC. I biked home from the hospital yesterday and only police cars and rare taxi on the street. Rare jogger. Random homeless guy. That’s it.

In the hospital - Every ICU bed is occupied. We opened up floors in the hospital as ICU floors that were previously not. We converted other wards into moderately ill COVID wards. And it’s getting worse.

Lots of promising treatments, but still a lot of people dying. Hopefully as these clinical trials take off for Remdesivir and Toclizumab things get better. We can only hope.

Thank you for all you are doing. If there is anything you, your co-workers or others near us need that we could possibly help with let us know. It seems like the best we can do is quarantine and not contribute to the problem.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject:

^Yes. What DB said.

Interesting and sobering insights All Star Laker. Thank you and hang in there, hoping and praying you stay healthy.

And to DB's point on pitching in; a relative of mine has a small weaving business, a local emergency room was short on PPE, upon contacting her she crafted reuseable masks and donated them. She is in no way equipped for mass production, but on a local scale she's making a difference. Just a small example of ingenuity and willingness to pitch in.

Interesting discussion on clinical trials. av3773 I hope you're right on full FDA approval timeline.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
av3773 wrote:

Using it now. Have to enroll in clinical trial.

Very interested in your insights on effectiveness once enough time has passed. And time permitting, of course.
tkLAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Italy 10.6% ouch!
Spain 7.8%
UK 5%
China 4%
South Korea 1.5%
Germany 0.6%

but if theres a lot more tests coming then wouldnt the fatality percentage drop even lower than it is now?

There has not been enough test kits to test every sick person in the US. It is doubtful they would waste a test kit on someone who died with flu symptoms. In all likelihood, the mortality rate is also under reported.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject:

finally came back to catch up on this thread
the poster that was recently banned, he makes my blood boil

stating that everything is false

if the argument that people dying is not from coronavirus is silly. There is something (virion) that is causes an infection that people are dying from. And we are 99% certain it is coronavirus. Regardless of false-positive rates

i would challenge him/her to open his/her home to 5 covid-19 positive patients with active respiratory symptoms and spend 24 hours with them.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject:

*Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell cleared of coronavirus
Quote:
Utah Department of Health has given clean bill of health to entire team
From NBA Twitter and media reports

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/03/27/rudy-gobert-donovan-mitchell-cleared-coronavirus

*New York Knicks owner James Dolan tests positive for coronavirus

Quote:
Dolan has been in self-isolation and is experiencing little to no symptoms. He continues to oversee business operations.

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/03/28/knicks-owner-james-dolan-tests-positive-covid-19
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
finally came back to catch up on this thread
the poster that was recently banned, he makes my blood boil

stating that everything is false

if the argument that people dying is not from coronavirus is silly. There is something (virion) that is causes an infection that people are dying from. And we are 99% certain it is coronavirus. Regardless of false-positive rates

i would challenge him/her to open his/her home to 5 covid-19 positive patients with active respiratory symptoms and spend 24 hours with them.

IF the guy is a doctor or a nurse, he could be doing that already.

Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject:

On the difficult topic of rationing care...this post I saw on allnurses board got me intrigued:

Quote:
We already do ration care. I think you need to step back from this hysteria about 20 whole people in the us supposedly passing from corona (no evidence to support that corona was the primary, single cause of death, either)....And take a look at how many people do and have died from just flu a and b....And how many of those we sent home with a dose of Tamiflu or admit and bed them in multi patient rooms.

We already dispo people from ICU, extubate and push to step down...When they are not completely stable. How many rapids I have gone to in step down and med surg bc some patient was turfed for the bed. How many codes I have gone to for the same reason.

We are rationing care already. Let's not even go into medicare and medicaid, the uninsured and under insured, the ones that are unfortunate enough to be on those old model HMO plans....

Corona is not going to overwhelm the healthcare system. We are doing that to ourselves every day already.

This reminds me of one of the most succinct lines in any movie I've seen---one that reels people back into reality from all of the alarmist and wild speculation and fear---it's from "Contagion".

An army officer is speaking to the CDC guy played by Lawrence Fishburn and he is anxious and fearful and has a very "Militarized" way of thinking (because this is what he is trained to do---see threats in everything, always, everywhere)-

Officer: "Is it possible to weaponize bird flu?"

Laurence Fishburne: "No one needs to try, because the birds are already doing that."

We're living in an age where everyone wants everything to be done, no matter what. Teevee has told the average american that drastic and extreme measures can and will be taken on everyone. This simply is not true--not in theory and certainly not in practice. However...We have the lawyers and the average american being so willing to sue---the doctors do pretty much everything that a patient or family demands, to avoid these outcomes.

Therefore, we are rationing---because those patients that should have been dispo'ed and should have been booted out because they simply know what buzzwords to say to be admitted---take up beds from those who should be there.

Patients who come to the er "With a plan" every week so that they can get to the front of the 80 deep waiting room and a 3 day stay. Patients that come to the er for prescription refills because they sold the last one to buy meth or used it all up early so they come with "Vague" symptoms and force us to do 12-24 hour long workups with expensive tests like cts and mris. Patients who are dumped by family because they "Just want a break" and make up all sorts of vague complaints to keep aunt mildred from coming home for a long weekend.

These patients hold us up from providing care to people who actually need it. This would not be a worry---rationing care to the critically ill---if the sword of damocles wasn't held over our heads every single day in the form of lawsuits.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject:

^ That doesn't reconcile with what I read from the Doc in Manhattan, above. Rationing during a pandemic hints either at some lives being expendable or a significant portion of our ER beds are taken up with patients who are faking it. Is there something else you were getting at? Or is this more a comment on how the legal risks are throttling the system?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
^ That doesn't reconcile with what I read from the Doc in Manhattan, above. Rationing during a pandemic hints either at some lives being expendable or a significant portion of our ER beds are taken up with patients who are faking it. Is there something else you were getting at? Or is this more a comment on how the legal risks are throttling the system?

That stuck me as more of a rant than anything else. I can understand why people in the health care profession get frustrated with how the system works, but a rant is still a rant. In this case, the author lost me in the first paragraph, comparing coronavirus to the flu and talking about 20 deaths.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 68 of 130
Jump to: