Couple of Chick gms from 82 season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Couple of Chick gms from 82 season

Reached waaay into.........THE VOLT-tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh..... Chick gms from this long ago are truly rare. Note that in 81 a VCR cost a G in 81 dollars and good tapes could go for 12 bucks apiece. Recording sports games in full was a damn expensive hobby back then.

That's kind of the forgotten Laker championship team. One game still features Westhead as HC (fired on 11/19/81) and the other with Riles and it features Jellybean Bryant, who had a few nice moves, and Mitch K's ACL injury that put him out for 3 yrs, plus a chat w/ Stu Nahan at the end. These games show that Mitch was lookin good as our PF FA acquisition of the prior summer. His injury not only gave Rambis his chance for PT, but forced the FO to acquire Bob McAdoo. If you watch both, you can see how much winning basketball demanded that this roster break as much as possible. Very slim, wispy, quick team including Kareem. Not bangers. Only thing close were Rambis and thin Coop.

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for this, NPZ! You're the greatest.

Mychal Thompson on the Blazers side.

Kupchak shooting some 20 footers.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks .
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

The legend that is...npz.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
The legend that is...npz.

100%

npz has the best stuff, I'd kill to have access to his VOLT!!!!
HighlanderFil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

I've been looking for as many Chick clips as I can find from the 1996-1997 onwards, as that was my first one in the States. Not much luck, though...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject:

HighlanderFil wrote:
I've been looking for as many Chick clips as I can find from the 1996-1997 onwards, as that was my first one in the States. Not much luck, though...

You shoulda checked mine. This took me 5 mins and there's more. You know, I was in the credits for the 30 For 30 Lakers/Celtics series? Adding to my infamy. I am IN-famous. That means MORE than famous.

Look! 1st game at Staples 2000, NO BODY has that sht!

Last game of Chick's 3338 streak:

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
HighlanderFil wrote:

You shoulda checked mine. This took me 5 mins and there's more. You know, I was in the credits for the 30 For 30 Lakers/Celtics series? Adding to my infamy. I am IN-famous. That means MORE than famous.

How many physical tapes do you have, NPZ?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
[

I thkk five or six 100 count physical spools of DVDs mostly. Maybe upwards of 100 in paper sleeves), probably less than 50 as VHS tapes that haven't been converted to DVD. I got too many to put in sleeves. I just go thru the spools and pick em. I use Taiyo Uden DVD-Rs. Best blanks on the market. Very scratch resistant and extremely reliable over time and actually cheap. Almost never degrade. You can run a vacuum over them and get deep lookin scuffs and they usually play. They prolly have a 99% success rate for computer dubbs. Some + and -RWs have degraded on me over time. Sony Gold +RWs have done that. TDK + and -RWs are very reliable. Those are the best RW discs out there. I have some that are 15 yrs old that play have zero probs. These 81-84 tapes that I've gotten in 2008 were actually reliable. The ones from 81 were as heavy as bricks. Scotch (the tape and sticky company) used to make tapes then. Those played excelently. I've had a couple of 87 era tapes that have since broken at the junction due to plastic degradation. The late era 90s to 2000 tapes were actually sucky compared to some of the early 80s brands. They were lighter feather light and hit and miss quality wise. Developed lines and were very susceptible to dust probs.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

NPZ, this is so good. Listening to Chick is just amazing, even now.

His detailed "words eye view" will never be close to duplicated.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
danzag wrote:
[

I thkk five or six 100 count physical spools of DVDs mostly. Maybe upwards of 100 in paper sleeves), probably less than 50 as VHS tapes that haven't been converted to DVD. I got too many to put in sleeves. I just go thru the spools and pick em. I use Taiyo Uden DVD-Rs. Best blanks on the market. Very scratch resistant and extremely reliable over time and actually cheap. Almost never degrade. You can run a vacuum over them and get deep lookin scuffs and they usually play. They prolly have a 99% success rate for computer dubbs. Some + and -RWs have degraded on me over time. Sony Gold +RWs have done that. TDK + and -RWs are very reliable. Those are the best RW discs out there. I have some that are 15 yrs old that play have zero probs. These 81-84 tapes that I've gotten in 2008 were actually reliable. The ones from 81 were as heavy as bricks. Scotch (the tape and sticky company) used to make tapes then. Those played excelently. I've had a couple of 87 era tapes that have since broken at the junction due to plastic degradation. The late era 90s to 2000 tapes were actually sucky compared to some of the early 80s brands. They were lighter feather light and hit and miss quality wise. Developed lines and were very susceptible to dust probs.

Amazing. You've been recording Lakers stuff since...?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
NPZ, this is so good. Listening to Chick is just amazing, even now.

His detailed "words eye view" will never be close to duplicated.

Thx, LL. I'm gonna put some other ones from this era up, got em on the comp already. Some of these are informational to younger fans, who seem very interested in understanding old stars. Right now, I'm halfway thru with an 82 gm at GS w/ World B. in it eg. I only do this stuff when inspiration hits, tho. No planning at all. This is a lame down time, so I thought what the hell. I'm also gonna do a rare KHJ-9 broadcast of our HOME gm vs Philly in 82 featuring Dr. J, etc. Interesting that they would broadcast a game of that importance. As you probably know, we didn't even have Prime Ticket until 85/6, the home games were aired on PPV ON TV with the guy who did USC football games. I'll crop out any commercials building up the latest show Bosom Buddies.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Only since 90, but I would tape over em until 92. Uch... Teen w/ no dinero to buy tapes. I lost the Chick broadcast of Sedale's 42 pt gm at MSG in 92 for example, which vexes me to this day. I amassed all the other stuff aggressively over the years. Hardest stuff to find has been REG SEAS games in any era, save maybe for the 06+ era of Kobe. All early 80s and early 90s gms are typically rare tho 80-82 playoff stuff was unleashed a number of years ago. Even early 2000s RS are challenging. It seems that people didn't start recording stuff broadly and nightly until DVDs were perfected which was around 2005. For my rare jewels, I was just very lucky to know the right people at the right time to get these gms here and other Chick stuff from mid-80s. You can't learn that, yer either lucky with good timing or yer not. And you gotta be friendly and bubbly with said trade partners, maybe that is a skill I have. I'm very bubbly. I stopped collecting about a decade ago.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject:

NPZ and Chick FTW. Thanks for posting these they're amazing memories.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
danzag wrote:

Only since 90, but I would tape over em until 92. Uch... Teen w/ no dinero to buy tapes. I lost the Chick broadcast of Sedale's 42 pt gm at MSG in 92 for example, which vexes me to this day. I amassed all the other stuff aggressively over the years. Hardest stuff to find has been REG SEAS games in any era, save maybe for the 06+ era of Kobe. All early 80s and early 90s gms are typically rare tho 80-82 playoff stuff was unleashed a number of years ago. Even early 2000s RS are challenging. It seems that people didn't start recording stuff broadly and nightly until DVDs were perfected which was around 2005. For my rare jewels, I was just very lucky to know the right people at the right time to get these gms here and other Chick stuff from mid-80s. You can't learn that, yer either lucky with good timing or yer not. And you gotta be friendly and bubbly with said trade partners, maybe that is a skill I have. I'm very bubbly. I stopped collecting about a decade ago.

Amazing. Thanks for it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:

Got others in the works, too, will drop em in a week maybe. I've got a finalized recap currently privated that shows wack reffing was around back then as it is now. Tommy Nunez, Sr. gave our opp a BS foul at triple zeros. Riles went out and yelled at him. Complete bogus non-foul that Chick/Keith were pissed at the same. They didn't even add time back, it was a triple zero foul if such a thing is possible and a weak anticipation whistle. To add to the indignity, it was given to Joe Barely Cares who his own fans booed all night like Kwame. Well, at least the 82 squad had the CHANCE to win a title.....
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Got others in the works, too, will drop em in a week maybe. I've got a finalized recap currently privated that shows wack reffing was around back then as it is now. Tommy Nunez, Sr. gave our opp a BS foul at triple zeros. Riles went out and yelled at him. Complete bogus non-foul that Chick/Keith were pissed at the same. They didn't even add time back, it was a triple zero foul if such a thing is possible and a weak anticipation whistle. To add to the indignity, it was given to Joe Barely Cares who his own fans booed all night like Kwame. Well, at least the 82 squad had the CHANCE to win a title.....

Sometimes I'll analyze all the rings Lakers have lost due to poor officiating. There's at least 4-5 of them since 1980, but hey, maybe I'm biased. But I don't think so.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Sometimes I'll analyze all the rings Lakers have lost due to poor officiating. There's at least 4-5 of them since 1980, but hey, maybe I'm biased. But I don't think so.

I blame all the key, poorly-timed injuries for the most part. Even for 83 and 91, I don't think they woulda mattered anyway. I try not to carp about refs or injuries unless I truly believe it in my soul. I realize that we all have our ways and positions, tho. I think I'm more annoyed by 89 Piston fans who pretend we were with Magic and Scott than I am the 02 Kings fans still crying about Gm6. Their take of that series is actually more honest to reality than the Piston fans' takes.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

I blame all the key, poorly-timed injuries for the most part. Even for 83 and 91, I don't think they woulda mattered anyway. I try not to carp about refs or injuries unless I truly believe it in my soul. I realize that we all have our ways and positions, tho. I think I'm more annoyed by 89 Piston fans who pretend we were with Magic and Scott than I am the 02 Kings fans still crying about Gm6. Their take of that series is actually more honest to reality than the Piston fans' takes.

mj was destined to win 91, there was no way around it. that was the most passing of the torch kind of moment there could have been in sports.

lots of injuries fo sho. 89, 91, 2008, 2004

but the officiating in the nba is terrible today, and getting worse. it's not simply the officials, its all the nonsense rules, so its everything, the entire business if you will. nobody, from a basketball expert to a newbie, can tell what is and isnt a foul on any given play today.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

Every year the officiating is getting worse.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks NPZ for these gems! I've always loved watching stuff from the Showtime era, as I was born in the 80s and missed out on that golden era.

I hope you post some games from say 1984, 85, 86 that took place at The Forum.
HighlanderFil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
HighlanderFil wrote:

This is awesome. Thank you so much!
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

that 1st staples game is great. it's weird how no announcer since is like chick, just like nobody ever does the sky hook. if it were me, i'd be wanting to copy the best or at least try.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject:

do you know how deep the official NBA archives are? I bet they don't have a lot that one would expect to have. Which means guys like you might have more stuff than they do.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

Glad to play a small role in getting the NY Times to finally acknowledge the greatness of NPZ.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1253030414064799749

You're the man, NPZ. Only saw the new uploads today and have already enjoyed them all and it's also now led me to disappearing further into your vault, for the 345th time.

Since we were all remembering Prince yesterday, worth noting that his famed material tucked away at Paisley Park is second only to NPZ's when it comes to valuable vaults.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: