Couple of Chick gms from 82 season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

I used to watch nationally televised games on CBS and turn down the volume so I could listen to Chick Hearn on the radio while watching Laker games.

The Lakers have had soooo many unique and legendary guys to be part of their organization -- from Kobe to Magic to AC Green to Chick.

I've never seen (or heard) anyone even remotely like Chick Hearn. He was a supernova.

Thanks for sharing your library NPZ.
mrand
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
NPZ and Chick FTW. Thanks for posting these they're amazing memories.

exactly this!

love you NPZ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject:

No doubt...thanks NPZ
I remember watching the first game...Lakers / Clips...Mitch tore his ACL and was never the same. The Lakers had signed Mitch as a FA from the Bullets...the Lakers were never able to benefit full value from signing him.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I used to watch nationally televised games on CBS and turn down the volume so I could listen to Chick Hearn on the radio while watching Laker games.

The Lakers have had soooo many unique and legendary guys to be part of their organization -- from Kobe to Magic to AC Green to Chick.

I've never seen (or heard) anyone even remotely like Chick Hearn. He was a supernova.

there will never be another like him. Not just because he himself was special, but because what the broadcast companies look for now is totally different. they don't care what you know or want to talk about...they need you to speak a certain way, saying very specific things. all those stats they talk about, all the things they feed in the earpiece about what to say. every wonder why announcers speak so specifically about lbj even when hes not in the game or on the team? it's like that.

chick was doing his own thing. he said whatever he wanted, and described the game, and offered his opinion. you don't really see anyone offering their opinion anymore. sometimes, guys like jvg will, and theyll make jokes basically. it's all very different. it's all about marketing now. the announcers now are basically people that are good at talking and doing what they are instructed to do in their earpiece. it takes a lot of training. if you notice, a lot of ex ball players that first start out are not used to it (eg. Jalen Rose) and would make a lot of "mistakes" before they got trained. It's very controlled, it's very specific.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

there will never be another like him. Not just because he himself was special, but because what the broadcast companies look for now is totally different. they don't care what you know or want to talk about...they need you to speak a certain way, saying very specific things. all those stats they talk about, all the things they feed in the earpiece about what to say. every wonder why announcers speak so specifically about lbj even when hes not in the game or on the team? it's like that.

chick was doing his own thing. he said whatever he wanted, and described the game, and offered his opinion. you don't really see anyone offering their opinion anymore. sometimes, guys like jvg will, and theyll make jokes basically. it's all very different. it's all about marketing now. the announcers now are basically people that are good at talking and doing what they are instructed to do in their earpiece. it takes a lot of training. if you notice, a lot of ex ball players that first start out are not used to it (eg. Jalen Rose) and would make a lot of "mistakes" before they got trained. It's very controlled, it's very specific.

Seems like the media was different back then. It was more of an information delivery service. I learned about Walter Cronkite in college, and how he would report on the Vietnam War and just tell it like it was. Because of that, our nation trusted Cronkite the way you'd trust your uncle.

That's what Chick Hearn was to Lakers fans. He was like that uncle or grandpa who wasn't politically correct but who loved you and respected you and cared about you.

As you said Superboy, it's all about marketing today and being a slave to the company line. As System of a Down once said, manufacturing consent is the name of the game.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject:

81 Rockets Gm 3 NEVER replayed since, nor ever on YT (probably a good thing). Magic's worst playoff game bar none, but that should've been his critique by the media if anything and not that play drawn up by Westhead. Who knows what he was really saying there. Sounded like he gave Magic the baton if a play for Kareem wasn't there, so him being scaped for his airball was convenient and tidy. Media likes tidiness. Magic had a brutal game, but there were 5000 points at which they lost that one. FTs made by them all was one that stood out. Weird that Magic, Dunleavy, and Harris would all coach the Lakers to one degree or another. Musta been a Bummer Summer, but at least Lakerfan knew one way or another how it finished up. I dunno if we'll even get that much if the league returns in August.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu May 28, 2020 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Nother interesting one (Chick) is this successfully replayed protest by SA against us where 2 games were decided on 4/13/83. The refs made the right call and the league still screwed us because they found out their rulebook had a wack rule and they couldn't have everyone knowing what it was heading into that year's playoffs (rules committee doesn't convene mid-season). This has everything, including Chick's full description of the gaffe, the replayed part, and the recap of both gms, 11/30/82 and 4/13/83. Also a great game called by Chick in Pt 1. He was super amped that night.

PART 1:

PART 2:

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Nother interesting one (Chick) is this successfully replayed protest by SA against us where 2 games were decided on 4/13/83. The refs made the right call and the league still screwed us because they found out their rulebook had a wack rule and they couldn't have everyone knowing what it was heading into that year's playoffs (rules committee doesn't convene mid-season). This has everything, including Chick's full description of the gaffe, the replayed part, and the recap of both gms, 11/30/82 and 4/13/83. Also a great game called by Chick in Pt 1. He was super amped that night.

PART 1:

PART 2:

gold.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

gold.

What's the date of that Hornets gm yer tellin me about, the one you want I should upload? I may have come across it recently. Was it a 2008 gm?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

gold.

What's the date of that Hornets gm yer tellin me about, the one you want I should upload? I may have come across it recently. Was it a 2008 gm?

4-11-2008

that's a highlight of it, but doesn't capture the drama properly. I wonder if you can give it your treatment. This was a tight MVP race, and a dramatic matchup for the time. When Kobe pops off it was big drama....there's a whole year long rivalry here. plus david west was killing us, etc.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

gold.

4-11-2008

that's a highlight of it, but doesn't capture the drama properly. I wonder if you can give it your treatment. This was a tight MVP race, and a dramatic matchup for the time. When Kobe pops off it was big drama....there's a whole year long rivalry here. plus david west was killing us, etc.

Yeah, almost positive that's the one I saw. There seems to be an 8 min recap on YT of it from 10 yrs ago, but I can improve on it. That one is funky. I remember a reverse Kobe jam in that game that was a stonker (a wow moment in British parlance). I'll do it up, but I'm still un-privating recaps in this old gm streak. Might take a bit. Or I can do it and just give you an unlisted link, but that one's a good call if someone hasn't already uploaded a healthy recap. I've brought my caps up to the 20-30 min range. I found out that the Kidds out there are used to watching long recaps like that now.

Btw, you're asking me to capture the drama of a Stu n Joel era game, haha. That's like asking me to move a mountain, but I'll try my best. God, those two. Stuart hated that man.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject:

^ Indeed, the Joel-Stu era was the nadir of Laker broadcasting history. I’m surprised Stu didn’t just off him right on the air during one of the telecasts.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

gold.

4-11-2008

Yeah, almost positive that's the one I saw. There seems to be an 8 min recap on YT of it from 10 yrs ago, but I can improve on it. That one is funky. I remember a reverse Kobe jam in that game that was a stonker (a wow moment in British parlance). I'll do it up, but I'm still un-privating recaps in this old gm streak. Might take a bit. Or I can do it and just give you an unlisted link, but that one's a good call if someone hasn't already uploaded a healthy recap. I've brought my caps up to the 20-30 min range. I found out that the Kidds out there are used to watching long recaps like that now.

Btw, you're asking me to capture the drama of a Stu n Joel era game, haha. That's like asking me to move a mountain, but I'll try my best. God, those two. Stuart hated that man.

That reverse dunk is the best part!! That's the drama i'd like to capture...because that was a rare moment in the NBA to come together like that. But I understand, it's hard to work with the footage. Anyway, that's the moment I've been asking you for all this time.

Joel is sooooo boring. like Tom Brokow narrating a golf game. He's doing it in some other city now, I always hear his voice. Now he's boring them to tears.

Unlisted link: I'll take ALL the unlisted links you are willing to give. I watch your videos the way others watch GoT episodes or whatever the current thing is.
The longer videos are GREAT! from my perspective. But I understand there is a sweet spot for youtube and 10m videos. But if you don't care so much about the views and stuff, then longer videos are certainly appreciated.

There are a couple of recaps I've seen over the years, including the one shown above. What they fail to show properly are the fact that the Lakers were up by a lot in this game. There was a heated CP3 vs Kobe thing going on with the MVP race, and remember this is after years of Kobe showing god-mode with no MVPs. David West was killing us for many games now, he could not miss, it was crazy. I think the playoff race between Lakers and NO was tight at the time also. Kobe rarely shows this level of emotion (another one was the spitting game). This game had a very unusual level of hype in it, it was fantastic. And then that dunk, everyone went crazy.

Why do I care so much for these moments? It feels to me that the drama in the NBA is being more and more manufactured and forced. The drama doesn't feel organic. But this was extremely organic.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

gold.

What's the date of that Hornets gm yer tellin me about, the one you want I should upload? [/quote]

Check your PMs, dood.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: