Eddie Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
I seem to recall Eddie being due for an extension and landing something close to 100M over 7 and Campbell had a decent deal too. They were not going to resign Eddie long term and hoped Rice would fit for a championship run short term.

LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I remember being super excited about Glen Rice. But man if it ain't true that Lakers is where jump shots die. LOL! He wasn't lights out the way he was in Miami and Charlotte. I'm pretty sure playing 3rd fiddle had something to with that, plus he was getting up there at 32. But very quickly, I wanted Jones and Campbell back. Players losing accuracy with their jumpers when they wear P&G started with Terry Teagle. I was super excited we got him too, but he wasn't the same in LA as he was in GS.

You are absolutely right. I was sooooooo excited to get Rice. If ever the term "elite" applied, it was to this guy as a shooter. Now that I read another poster's numbers like 38% from three, I realize he did very well.

My problem was I thought we were still getting the elite Rice. That wasn't the case. Eddie Jones was one of my favorites.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

How many Lakers fans realized Jones wasn’t pushed aside just once by a All-Time Great Shooting Guard, but twice! In 2003-2004 the Heat acquired Dwayne Wade, who played point guard his rookie season. Jones started at the 2. The team included familiar faces like Lamar Odom, Brian Grant, Caron Butler, and street ball legend Skip 2 My Lou. Coached by Stan Van Gundy. They over achieved and faced a really good Pacers team in the second round. In the elimination game, Wade was on fire, but the last shot went to Jones, who missed. The next season the Heat acquired Shaq. They lost in the ECF to the defending Champs, Pistons. Jones was eventually traded for Antoine Walker, James Posey, and White Chocolate. Wade moved to shooting guard, and the Heat won their first NBA Championship.

Didn’t expect it to be that long, but yeah. Jones was moved twice on Shaq Championship teams. Once for Kobe, once for Wade. I don’t believe he ever won a ring, but I did love the Lakers and Heat teams he played for. Especially the Kobe, Shaq, NVE one.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

The Nick Van Exel trade was far worse IMO.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
How many Lakers fans realized Jones wasn’t pushed aside just once by a All-Time Great Shooting Guard, but twice! In 2003-2004 the Heat acquired Dwayne Wade, who played point guard his rookie season. Jones started at the 2. The team included familiar faces like Lamar Odom, Brian Grant, Caron Butler, and street ball legend Skip 2 My Lou. Coached by Stan Van Gundy. They over achieved and faced a really good Pacers team in the second round. In the elimination game, Wade was on fire, but the last shot went to Jones, who missed. The next season the Heat acquired Shaq. They lost in the ECF to the defending Champs, Pistons. Jones was eventually traded for Antoine Walker, James Posey, and White Chocolate. Wade moved to shooting guard, and the Heat won their first NBA Championship.

Didn’t expect it to be that long, but yeah. Jones was moved twice on Shaq Championship teams. Once for Kobe, once for Wade. I don’t believe he ever won a ring, but I did love the Lakers and Heat teams he played for. Especially the Kobe, Shaq, NVE one.

AFireInside619 wrote:
How many Lakers fans realized Jones wasn’t pushed aside just once by a All-Time Great Shooting Guard, but twice!

Poor Eddie. Traded twice off teams with Shaq, and both times those team won a ring the next year.

I wouldn't say Jones was pushed aside by Wade. They were playing together at the 2 and 3 spots. By then Jones was 34 and clearly on the decline, and the Heat knew they needed to shake things up.

I don't think the game 7 against Detroit was a factor. I looked it up. Wade took the last shot, not Jones. In fact, Jones didn't take a shot in the fourth quarter. Neither Jones (4 for 12) or Wade (7 for 20, and -- yikes 0-6 in the 4th quarter) were on fire, so you might be thinking of a different game.

Good catch about Eddie being traded twice off Shaq teams.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
I think the point of the trade was to accomplish the following, in this order:

1. Get out from Elden's contract. He was a serviceable player, and his contract wasn't a complete albatross (~$7M-$8M/year), however he showed he had trouble playing alongside Shaq. With the MDE playing 35+ minutes, it's hard to justify paying Elden the money he was getting to just be a part-time player.
2. Free up playing time for Kobe. Unfortunately Eddie was the casualty of it. During that time I don't think anyone could envision either Eddie or Kobe holding down the 3 without being some kind of liability. Both dudes were lanky "2's" in the 90's era.
3. Get Shaq a legit 3-point shooting threat Kobe and Eddie showed they could hit a 3, but not with any kind of consistency that Rice was supposed to provide.
4. "Save" on extending Eddie. Eddie was still on his rookie deal when dealt, but if the Lakers felt they could only afford to keep Shaq + one of Kobe/Eddie long-term, perhaps they felt it was prudent to move off Eddie right then so they could be able to fully commit to Kobe as their future star on the wing.

That sounds about right although 1 and 4 are kind of intertwined.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I remember being super excited about Glen Rice. But man if it ain't true that Lakers is where jump shots die. LOL! He wasn't lights out the way he was in Miami and Charlotte. I'm pretty sure playing 3rd fiddle had something to with that, plus he was getting up there at 32. But very quickly, I wanted Jones and Campbell back. Players losing accuracy with their jumpers when they wear P&G started with Terry Teagle. I was super excited we got him too, but he wasn't the same in LA as he was in GS.

I was just as stoked when we got Glen Rice but halfway into the season, I started to see things a LOT differently. I've been opining about it ever since but the notion that a big man drawing the double team for a wide open 3 doesn't work nearly as well in principle as it does in play. It relegates the shooter to just spotting up. To my eyes, shooters are WAY better when in rhythm...offenses like the Suns and Warriors...where guys are getting passes while getting to their spots. Hell, most of Klay's shots are a nano-second from going up before he even has the ball. It was a big difference for Glen where the entire offense was predicated on freeing him up and giving him good looks in Charlotte to standing around getting the crumbs off a double team. If we looked hard enough, the direction the league was going (especially with the mid 2000's rule changes) was pretty evident. When we featured Bynum, I was saying at the time it was the nail in the coffin for the triangle offense. Back then we all went to FG %...he shoots 60% ergo he needs to the ball in his hands the most. We didn't have the # of stats then at our disposal as we do now. Now we can see the numbers bear out that post ups are generally speaking one of the worse ways to generate offense. Back then all I could do was say "it's just what I see guys. If a guy shoots 60% from the field and say his 2/3 of his touches are from dump offs and put backs that he shoots 90% on, how well is he doing that other 1/3 of the time to bring his overall FG % down to 60% ". It was just basic reasoning at that point. You don't need Synergy Sports to come to that conclusion. All these new methods of tracking offenses and defenses we have now are incredible. 10 years ago we had to forage through 82games.com and now the NBA's own website has a stat for damn near everything.

In any event, it harkens back to the days of arguing whether Kobe shouold shoot less and feed Andrew more. Hell, there were a ton of guys repeating the mantra..."he shoots 60%, Kobe needs to get him the ball more" about freaking Kwame. It's pretty funny to look back on threads during that era. The receipts are hilarious.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Rice was okay but I expected more from him. He wasn’t the same player he was in Charlotte when he made 43.3% and 47% of his threes the two seasons before the trade.

People don't realize that the 47% was during the period when the NBA moved the 3-point line in. His 39% for us the first season was pretty typical of how he shot at the normal line.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

AFireInside619 wrote:
How many Lakers fans realized Jones wasn’t pushed aside just once by a All-Time Great Shooting Guard, but twice!

Poor Eddie. Traded twice off teams with Shaq, and both times those team won a ring the next year.

I wouldn't say Jones was pushed aside by Wade. They were playing together at the 2 and 3 spots. By then Jones was 34 and clearly on the decline, and the Heat knew they needed to shake things up.

I don't think the game 7 against Detroit was a factor. I looked it up. Wade took the last shot, not Jones. In fact, Jones didn't take a shot in the fourth quarter. Neither Jones (4 for 12) or Wade (7 for 20, and -- yikes 0-6 in the 4th quarter) were on fire, so you might be thinking of a different game.

Good catch about Eddie being traded twice off Shaq teams.

I know right? Poor guy. Not everyone can be a champion I guess.

The shot I was talking about was vs Indiana in 03-04. Wade was a rookie, so Jones earned the final shot. Wade was on fire though. But you are right about Jones being more long in the tooth than pushed aside by Wade.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Rice was okay but I expected more from him. He wasn’t the same player he was in Charlotte when he made 43.3% and 47% of his threes the two seasons before the trade.

People don't realize that the 47% was during the period when the NBA moved the 3-point line in. His 39% for us the first season was pretty typical of how he shot at the normal line.

You’re right I forgot about that.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:

2. Free up playing time for Kobe. Unfortunately Eddie was the casualty of it. During that time I don't think anyone could envision either Eddie or Kobe holding down the 3 without being some kind of liability. Both dudes were lanky "2's" in the 90's era..

Couldn’t the same thing be said about Rice? Besides shooting what else did he bring to the table?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
The Nick Van Exel trade was far worse IMO.

We held onto him too long, truth be told. When we went to deal with him, his reputation was below primordial ooze, fresh off of a "!No Mas!" moment. A quitter moment, which is never a good look. He had so many moments of defiance beginning in Jan of 95 during the start of the 2nd half of a 46 pt loss at Portland where he didn't walk onto the court as he knew he should have and Del was afraid to tell him WTH,Dude? Del bailed him out by calling it a misunderstanding when it was nothing but Nick pulling an in-game Cancun! That moment was only his first Laker moment of defiance. He had others in his life as a teen and college player and as a rookie NBA recruit. He blew off an interview with Charlotte and he did it again with another team with another excuse about his GF being ill and then he had a contentious workout with George Karl where they realized they were smarm twins and they chatted at each other in a rookie tryout.

That's how Nick slipped from NCAA 2nd team w/ Grant Hill and top PG in the lottery to pick #37 which was considered a RISK even at that level. The only thing preventing him from being a lottery pick was anger management. How many blue chip rooks are separated from the lottery for THAT reason instead of something physical? West loved him and allowed him to be himself which wasn't a good idea. We traded him too late. His trade value was Ty Lue and Tony Battie-->Travis Nite. And I say all that as a fan of Nick's. He somehow was always likable and you wanted to give him chances because he would be contrite for awhile. He trapped you in a Bill and Hillary type of relationship.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:

1. Get out from Elden's contract. He was a serviceable player, and his contract wasn't a complete albatross (~$7M-$8M/year), however he showed he had trouble playing alongside Shaq. With the MDE playing 35+ minutes, it's hard to justify paying Elden the money he was getting to just be a part-time player.
2. Free up playing time for Kobe. Unfortunately Eddie was the casualty of it. During that time I don't think anyone could envision either Eddie or Kobe holding down the 3 without being some kind of liability. Both dudes were lanky "2's" in the 90's era.
3. Get Shaq a legit 3-point shooting threat Kobe and Eddie showed they could hit a 3, but not with any kind of consistency that Rice was supposed to provide.
4. "Save" on extending Eddie. Eddie was still on his rookie deal when dealt, but if the Lakers felt they could only afford to keep Shaq + one of Kobe/Eddie long-term, perhaps they felt it was prudent to move off Eddie right then so they could be able to fully commit to Kobe as their future star on the wing.

If that's 1-4 in order of importance, I think 4 is being undersold. Dr. Buss didn't often give maxes to wing players and/or non-superstars. He didn't have Paul Allen's wallet. Like yourself, Jonny, Eddie was supremely likable and a solid player and a fan fave, but Dr. Buss watched the late 90s playoff gms like we all did. Eddie often underwhelmed. He got punked by Rider who was able to contest him well 1:1. He was among numerous players who couldn't score efficiently against the Jazz on average. Good thief, quick and athletic, but not a force to be reckoned with on D. Gave flashes of Coop w/ the blocks and steals, but didn't body up bros. Big hands, tho, allowing him to yoke on fooz. If Kobe had Eddie's hands, he would've scored a couple thousand more points. Eddie didn't bulk up with bros in the gym like Kobe did. And in 98, Harris preferred Eddie to Kobe in the playoffs (see Sonics) and was getting gas from the fans and presumably Buss to play him more. Ed's mere presence took away Kobe's operating space. Kobe eventually did the same things as Eddie, but better, but he had to be set free.

For the 9*/99 season, losing Elden actually hurt more than losing Eddie and it's true. JR Reid against Tim Duncan in the Semis was a disgusting sight to behold, it was on par with Slava vs Sheed. I hated having him on the team after he elbowed AC's teeth out in one of the most vicious sucker elbows in league history. Rodman could've helped a lot, but he was a complete reject by that point. Elden was the only sufficient big we had behind Shaq. That's a fact even though their games didn't really compliment each other's when they were on the court at the same time. In order for that trade to have worked, it was a must that Rice come out shooting like hellfire and we got the version w/ the bad elbow. He was an immediate source of contention for fans and Chick got riled up because everyone was calling in calling him a bust. I have the final RS gm at The Forum on my channel where Rice finally busted out with 8/10 from trey and Chick felt vindicated, but Glen was the kind of offensive player who needed to be Option 2 at absolute worst. We already had one of those in Ceballos, we got rid of him and then picked up another one who needed bros to set screens for him and feed him at the arc. It was a tough adjustment for that group. Richmond might've been a better fit as he was better at creating his own shots.

Btw, in the end, the guys who helped Shaq win, the shooters that he was crying for every offseason were Big Shot Bob, Derek "The Swisher" Fisher, and Brian "Shock & Awe" Shaw. Meanwhile we got Christina yackin and complainin about Phil treating him bad. She had zero idea of how inscrutable Phil's mind and tactics were. Most of his players and the GM at the time didn't. Phil probably felt that Rice needed to be raked over the coals to get the most out of him. Kobe and Rice were his whipping boys in 2000. Phil probably didn't even care about Rice's prowess as a shooter. He wanted defense instead.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If Kobe had Eddie's hands, he would've scored a couple thousand more points.

true dat. kobe had bigger hands than people think, he just had a weirdly high palm to finger ratio.

Quote:
He was an immediate source of contention for fans and Chick got riled up because everyone was calling in calling him a bust.

People complained about rice the whole time. I think it had to do a lot with the fact that Eddie was so loved here (people who weren't there...it's really unusual how much we liked Nick and Eddie at the time...more than Shaq and Kobe in several ways). Rice never did have a breakout game until as you mentioned toward the end. But I do have to admit, he made some monster plays that have since gone unremembered in that first championship run.

Quote:

Btw, in the end, the guys who helped Shaq win, the shooters that he was crying for every offseason were Big Shot Bob, Derek "The Swisher" Fisher, and Brian "Shock & Awe" Shaw.

Man...that was a crazy read, and true. it's true...in the end, these were the guys that mattered. shaw especially....we never expected that. Hey about Fish...do you have any highlights of that series vs Spurs in 2002 i think where he was lights out from 3? like the opposite of Horry a couple years later....i want to say he was like 18/20 from three in that series.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:33 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot, thanks for all your archives. I just noticed your GOAT MAGIC REEL. The man truly was incredible and could dominate a game without scoring a point. You do not see guys today running so hard on O. They all knew they had a good chance of getting the rock. Magic was the greatest. Thanks for sharing especially especially in times like now. It is much appreciated!!!!!!!
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject:

At the time, the trade made sense. Neither Eddie nor Kobe were well equip to handle the bigger small forwards of the era and Glen Rice was considered of the best shooter in the league. Also, West was high on the JR Reid addition, thinking his toughness and spacing would help. Reportedly , Rodman told management if they made the trade they would F up the team. He wasn’t around long enough to see it.
Yet only a year later, with the triangle, i wonder how a Kobe Bryant/ Eddie Jones backcourt would look.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:

If that's 1-4 in order of importance, I think 4 is being undersold. Dr. Buss didn't often give maxes to wing players and/or non-superstars. He didn't have Paul Allen's wallet. Like yourself, Jonny, Eddie was supremely likable and a solid player and a fan fave, but Dr. Buss watched the late 90s playoff gms like we all did. Eddie often underwhelmed. He got punked by Rider who was able to contest him well 1:1. He was among numerous players who couldn't score efficiently against the Jazz on average. Good thief, quick and athletic, but not a force to be reckoned with on D. Gave flashes of Coop w/ the blocks and steals, but didn't body up bros. Big hands, tho, allowing him to yoke on fooz. If Kobe had Eddie's hands, he would've scored a couple thousand more points. Eddie didn't bulk up with bros in the gym like Kobe did. And in 98, Harris preferred Eddie to Kobe in the playoffs (see Sonics) and was getting gas from the fans and presumably Buss to play him more. Ed's mere presence took away Kobe's operating space. Kobe eventually did the same things as Eddie, but better, but he had to be set free.

For the 9*/99 season, losing Elden actually hurt more than losing Eddie and it's true. JR Reid against Tim Duncan in the Semis was a disgusting sight to behold, it was on par with Slava vs Sheed. I hated having him on the team after he elbowed AC's teeth out in one of the most vicious sucker elbows in league history. Rodman could've helped a lot, but he was a complete reject by that point. Elden was the only sufficient big we had behind Shaq. That's a fact even though their games didn't really compliment each other's when they were on the court at the same time. In order for that trade to have worked, it was a must that Rice come out shooting like hellfire and we got the version w/ the bad elbow. He was an immediate source of contention for fans and Chick got riled up because everyone was calling in calling him a bust. I have the final RS gm at The Forum on my channel where Rice finally busted out with 8/10 from trey and Chick felt vindicated, but Glen was the kind of offensive player who needed to be Option 2 at absolute worst. We already had one of those in Ceballos, we got rid of him and then picked up another one who needed bros to set screens for him and feed him at the arc. It was a tough adjustment for that group. Richmond might've been a better fit as he was better at creating his own shots.

Btw, in the end, the guys who helped Shaq win, the shooters that he was crying for every offseason were Big Shot Bob, Derek "The Swisher" Fisher, and Brian "Shock & Awe" Shaw. Meanwhile we got Christina yackin and complainin about Phil treating him bad. She had zero idea of how inscrutable Phil's mind and tactics were. Most of his players and the GM at the time didn't. Phil probably felt that Rice needed to be raked over the coals to get the most out of him. Kobe and Rice were his whipping boys in 2000. Phil probably didn't even care about Rice's prowess as a shooter. He wanted defense instead.

Hornacek used to give Eddie the business too.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Hey about Fish...do you have any highlights of that series vs Spurs in 2002 i think where he was lights out from 3? like the opposite of Horry a couple years later....i want to say he was like 18/20 from three in that series.

That was 2001. He was 15/20, which was then the record for makes and percentage (over a certain threshold of attempts) for a 4 game series. They consider those two records over the number of gms in the series. Those are probably still the records in those circumstances today and probably will be for many years.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Hornacek used to give Eddie the business too.

Even worse than Rider. Hornacek was a muuuch lesser athlete (and older). Hornacek was about as John Q. Public as a 12 yr vet can get. He and Mark Price looked like two dudes at the accounting seminar. Jeff n Mark were cool dudes, they always kept accurate books.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
Eddie Jones was one of my favorite Lakers -- loved hearing Eddie-Eddie-Eddie rain down from the rafters back in the day. That dunk over the 7-6 Deathstick Shawn Bradley was legendary.

It was sad to see him go to the Hornets, with all that said, he seemed to be a different player during the playoffs. (Credit to Krispy)

97 playoff series vs Jazz: (FG)

Game 1: 6/15
Game 2: 0/3
Game 3: 2/5
Game 4: 5/8
Game 5: 4/14

FG: 37%
PPG: 10.2

Everyone liked Eddie, but this is it in a nutshell. People forget just how underwhelming he was when we needed him. That's why he was traded. It's that simple. He didn't always play like an allstar.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject:

I was also completely against the Eddie Jones trade and was borderline depressed when it happened. To be honest, he was one of the main reasons why I was excited enough to join the Laker bandwagon after we landed Shaq. Then of course Kobe evolved and the rest was history.

However, I have always wondered why we didn't trade him for Chris Webber rather, who at the time was with the Wizards. The Wizards traded C-Webb for Mitch Richmond, who at the time may have also been an all-star but with much less upside than Eddie Jones.

As a side note, I wish we also traded Van Exel for something much better than Tyronne Lue (23rd pick at the time). If Jerry West was truly the visionary everyone claims he is, he would have traded for Nash (who was struggling at the time) or Bibby!! ... lol, just messing around but can you imagine?

Nash, Kobe, Fox, Webber, Shaq

bench: Fish, Horry

Even if we had just kept the team as is (with Eddie Jones and Van Exel) but with better coaching in Phil Jackson, we would have still been a dynasty but with probably better upside! Were the luxury tax penalties that punitive at the time that Buss couldn't deal with it?
Burner Account
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject:

I'm really enjoying this thread in all its nostalgic glory.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
XTC wrote:
Eddie Jones was one of my favorite Lakers -- loved hearing Eddie-Eddie-Eddie rain down from the rafters back in the day. That dunk over the 7-6 Deathstick Shawn Bradley was legendary.

It was sad to see him go to the Hornets, with all that said, he seemed to be a different player during the playoffs. (Credit to Krispy)

97 playoff series vs Jazz: (FG)

Game 1: 6/15
Game 2: 0/3
Game 3: 2/5
Game 4: 5/8
Game 5: 4/14

FG: 37%
PPG: 10.2

Everyone liked Eddie, but this is it in a nutshell. People forget just how underwhelming he was when we needed him. That's why he was traded. It's that simple. He didn't always play like an allstar.

And/or that's why he wasn't maxed out. A choice had to be made one way or the other. Only option was to deal him while they could. A lot of people seem to forget that Dr. Buss was hounding West into dealing him a year earlier than he did. The Richmond rumors were in Oct/Nov 97 and his trade date was 3/10/99. When Eddie was asked about the Richmond rumors, he replied, "I don't wanna go to Sac". That was the article headline in LA and Sacto and it was right before the Lakers were to play at ARCO, haha. It was the 3rd gm of the season, iirc, and the cowtowners booed him on the announcement of his name which he laughed at with Nick. Then he proceeded to get booed on every touch. Then he scored 35 points and it was one of his best scoring games ever and by the end, the Sac fans there were kinda mixed and you heard a smattering of claps amid the then faded boos. ARCO fans were drunk on the potential of getting him then.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject:

Burner Account wrote:
I'm really enjoying this thread in all its nostalgic glory.

Check this. You know, I've been told by people that I'm an Eddie Jones glorious nostalgic internet enjoyment specialist.

https://tinyurl.com/y7ebgqe9
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
I was also completely against the Eddie Jones trade and was borderline depressed when it happened. To be honest, he was one of the main reasons why I was excited enough to join the Laker bandwagon after we landed Shaq. Then of course Kobe evolved and the rest was history.

However, I have always wondered why we didn't trade him for Chris Webber rather, who at the time was with the Wizards. The Wizards traded C-Webb for Mitch Richmond, who at the time may have also been an all-star but with much less upside than Eddie Jones.

As a side note, I wish we also traded Van Exel for something much better than Tyronne Lue (23rd pick at the time). If Jerry West was truly the visionary everyone claims he is, he would have traded for Nash (who was struggling at the time) or Bibby!! ... lol, just messing around but can you imagine?

Nash, Kobe, Fox, Webber, Shaq

bench: Fish, Horry

Even if we had just kept the team as is (with Eddie Jones and Van Exel) but with better coaching in Phil Jackson, we would have still been a dynasty but with probably better upside! Were the luxury tax penalties that punitive at the time that Buss couldn't deal with it?

Steve never becomes MVP-Nash if he were to develop his career on the Lakers. He needs the keys to the offense and there's literally no chance of that happening on a Lakers team that primarily dumped the ball into Shaq for him to do his thing or a Kobe bailout sprinkled in with the triangle occasionally finding one of the "others" a wide open shot. Steve would have been an "other".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: