Who was more clutch over the course of his career: Derek Fisher or Robert Horry?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

More clutch player?
Derek Fisher
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Robert Horry
89%
 89%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 29

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject:

btw....fish and horry both deserve their jersey to be retired. Horry probably deserves it for each team he's been on.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
btw....fish and horry both deserve their jersey to be retired. Horry probably deserves it for each team he's been on.

Robert Horry meant as much to his teams as Dennis Rodman did to his teams. And Rodman is in the Hall of Fame. Dennis is obviously better on D but Horry was a good defender with the ability to hit huge shots from deep. And he is 3 inches taller than Rodman.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

disagree. Fisher was no better than average at best as a player who u just know u can count on missed layups.

Horry was a lazy guy who could barely dribble, had 0 ability to create for himself and others and often got destroyed in the block.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

disagree. Fisher was no better than average at best as a player who u just know u can count on missed layups.

Horry was a lazy guy who could barely dribble, had 0 ability to create for himself and others and often got destroyed in the block.

don't look at it from an averaged point of view. with horry, everything's an exception. he deserves to be in the HOF and jersey's retired simply for the clutch shots, and nothing else. there's no one like horry.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Horry was better than. He was a solid all-around player who pretty much any team could use in the rotation.

He made a lot of big shots. He won a lot of rings, but I'd say that's more the luck of being on great teams than being great himself.

Not a guy I would put in the Hall. But I recognize he's one of the most polarizing figures when it comes to that.

I could see a team retiring either of them. Lots of fan favorites or contributors to ring teams who weren't great players have had their numbers retired by teams -- Bruce Bowen, Bingo Smith, Brad Davis, Junior Bridgeman, Nick Collison, Larry Steele, Avery Johnson, Darrell Griffith. They would fit into group like that.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
x75274 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Horry was better than. He was a solid all-around player who pretty much any team could use in the rotation.

He made a lot of big shots. He won a lot of rings, but I'd say that's more the luck of being on great teams than being great himself.

Not a guy I would put in the Hall. But I recognize he's one of the most polarizing figures when it comes to that.

I could see a team retiring either of them. Lots of fan favorites or contributors to ring teams who weren't great players have had their numbers retired by teams -- Bruce Bowen, Bingo Smith, Brad Davis, Junior Bridgeman, Nick Collison, Larry Steele, Avery Johnson, Darrell Griffith. They would fit into group like that.

Good God, Nick Collison got his jersey retired?!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
Who is better looking: Scarlett Johnassen or Jessica Biel? Both are hot as hell. That's my answer to this question...

ScarJo!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
x75274 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Good God, Nick Collison got his jersey retired?!

Makes no sense to those of us on the outside, huh? But apparently, he was a hard working glue guy who everyone there loved and he played there for 15 years. Kind of like Brad Davis in Dallas, I guess. I don't mind if individual teams do stuff like this. I figure they know something we don't.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
good question.

Fisher played more, he had more moments overall.
Horry;s moments are fewer, but higher in "value".

Two of the most clutch players in history. Fisher very much under the radar in that category.

Agree with that. Fish hit tons of "timely shots" per Snapper as well as outright clutch game-saving, life-saving shots. Horry had a lot of both as well, but it's just a hunch that Fish had more of the timely, mo-shifting brand. Then again, how could we all know what Rob did in HOU and SA? Only Dreamshake would know what he did in the meat of HOU Rockets games from the early 90s. He did have huge clutch shots in the brightest of spotlights in every one of his stops, tho. I don't think Fish could hang with him in that respect, playoff shots, Finals shots. Then again, a lot of so-called superstars couldn't hang with either of them in that respect. Tough question because you can come up with a few examples of those yuge shots from Fish too, but with Horry, you betta read a newspaper er somethin. After going 2/38 from the arc in the 03 playoffs and missing that shot at SA, we thought he was finally on empty and we came to find that he still had some fumes left in the tank. Hit another one for SA in The Finals, ugh.

That one in SA was crazy because it wasn't just one shot...it was an entire 4th quarter plus OT with the famous game winner, but also the insane horizontal clutch dunk and multiple threes I think. When I saw it at the time I couldn't help thinking "THis MFer...killing the Pistons, and SA is now going to have a ring due to HIM specifically." It was all so regrettable.

Had we kept Horry we likely wouldn't have enough money for Malone/Payton and thus wouldn't have even made the 2004 Finals, though. So not so regrettable when looking at the bigger picture.

Malone signed for an exception.

And? What's your point? We were still over the cap. Payton signed for the mid-level exception, Malone signed for the bi-annual exception, and Horry signed with the Spurs for 2-year/$9.5 million. The point is we wouldn't have been able to sign Malone/Payton AND retain Horry. In the end, we made the right move. A Finals loss is better than NO finals appearance.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Horry I think has the greater big moment legacy.

Derek sucked at defense pretty much the last half of his career. Horry looked like he only tried sparingly during the regular season.

But great having ham and egg players, play like filet minion in the big games.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

you sound like a person who considers making a championship-securing shot just another field goal attempt.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
good question.

Fisher played more, he had more moments overall.
Horry;s moments are fewer, but higher in "value".

Two of the most clutch players in history. Fisher very much under the radar in that category.

Agree with that. Fish hit tons of "timely shots" per Snapper as well as outright clutch game-saving, life-saving shots. Horry had a lot of both as well, but it's just a hunch that Fish had more of the timely, mo-shifting brand. Then again, how could we all know what Rob did in HOU and SA? Only Dreamshake would know what he did in the meat of HOU Rockets games from the early 90s. He did have huge clutch shots in the brightest of spotlights in every one of his stops, tho. I don't think Fish could hang with him in that respect, playoff shots, Finals shots. Then again, a lot of so-called superstars couldn't hang with either of them in that respect. Tough question because you can come up with a few examples of those yuge shots from Fish too, but with Horry, you betta read a newspaper er somethin. After going 2/38 from the arc in the 03 playoffs and missing that shot at SA, we thought he was finally on empty and we came to find that he still had some fumes left in the tank. Hit another one for SA in The Finals, ugh.

That one in SA was crazy because it wasn't just one shot...it was an entire 4th quarter plus OT with the famous game winner, but also the insane horizontal clutch dunk and multiple threes I think. When I saw it at the time I couldn't help thinking "THis MFer...killing the Pistons, and SA is now going to have a ring due to HIM specifically." It was all so regrettable.

Had we kept Horry we likely wouldn't have enough money for Malone/Payton and thus wouldn't have even made the 2004 Finals, though. So not so regrettable when looking at the bigger picture.

Malone signed for an exception.

And? What's your point? We were still over the cap. Payton signed for the mid-level exception, Malone signed for the bi-annual exception, and Horry signed with the Spurs for 2-year/$9.5 million. The point is we wouldn't have been able to sign Malone/Payton AND retain Horry. In the end, we made the right move. A Finals loss is better than NO finals appearance.

let her say what the actual point is. don't get riled up. my bet is she just found an "actually" moment and couldn't resist. it has nothing to do with anything, and your original point is still valid.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Horry, if you consider his contributions overall (counting Hou and SA). He had clutch moments at both spots. 1st big shot was the WCF's GW vs SA.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Yes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: