Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/getupespn/status/1259866710326292481?s=21

Let’s see if the “asterisk” narrative stays depending on who wins. I’m thinking the narrative will not be the same for all contending teams.

Not just NBA but other sports as well. You are going to see abbreviated seasons. You probably won't be able to compare them to seasons before the pandemic, this is the new normal. MLB is attempting to go to an 82 game season for 2020. Will we at least be entertained? Yes. But it will be hard to compare versus seasons prior because so many things have changed. Until we get accessible affordable treatment options for everyone, this is what we will just have to live with for now.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
activeverb wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
As long as it’s safe, the players and owners both have a bit extra motivation to get a deal done (as long as it’s deemed safe).

The safe part is the big issue. First, that depends on testing. If they manage to get that into place, they can probably figure everything else out.

But there's a lot of details and negotiation. The leagues people keep bringing up -- MLB, soccer -- are a little further along, but they haven't worked out everything yet either.

This is a deadly disease, so I don't expect the players to just rush away on this season.

All the wrinkles will be interesting. If you are, oh, Stephen Curry, and you have $150 million in the bank and no hopes of making the playoffs, why would you come back for 20 meaningless games? I wouldn't.

Testing shouldn’t be an issue next month. Actually, it’s fine now with 300k tests a day. 9M a month expected.

Per Bloomberg News,

Asked later about his remark that the U.S. had “prevailed,” Trump said he was only talking about testing for the virus. The U.S. didn’t exceed 100,000 coronavirus tests performed until March 19, according to data compiled by the Covid Tracking Project, but more than 300,000 tests were conducted daily on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

“We’ve prevailed on testing,” Trump said. “You never prevail when you have 90,000 people, 100,000, when you have 80,000 people as of today. What I’m talking about is we have a great testing capacity now.”

There have been more than 1.3 million cases of Covid-19 in the U.S., according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The growth of the outbreak has slowed, as cases increased by about 20,000 on Sunday and there were 733 deaths nationwide.

Admiral Brett Giroir, the assistant secretary for health, said that the U.S. should shortly be on a pace to conduct 9 million tests per month.

If you’re a team like the Warriors who essentially tanked the year away, you keep doing that. In a regular season, he probably would have sat the rest of the year due to the injury. It’s the same here. Just sit for the remaining 5-7 regular season games and let the guys that are fighting for contracts play. Not a big deal.

Sadly, I don't consider the federal government a reliable source for statistics and information any more. I take any claims from the feds with a grain of salt until I see it confirmed by an authoritative, respected source whose actions and statements are not so governed by politics.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

LA County stay at home orders extended until July. Don't hold your breath for any NBA games in LA then. Looks like the only option would be games in a bubble in Florida.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LA County stay at home orders extended until July. Don't hold your breath for any NBA games in LA then. Looks like the only option would be games in a bubble in Florida.

I actually read August...If the season continues, they might have to hold games in Florida (or another state).
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I actually read August...If the season continues, they might have to hold games in Florida (or another state).

It was never going to be in LA anyways...as long as they have the play-offs I'm good.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The current stay-at-home order for Los Angeles County expires this Friday. The County Board of Supervisors are debating how long to extend it to, and they haven't decided if it will be till July or August.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-nba-superstars-establish-united-front-on-private-conference-call-to-resume-season-210518262.html

"The group’s decision is expected to hold significant weight in the decision-making process for the rest of the league’s players when it’s time to deliberate on whether to restart the season."
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject:

If I had to guess (and I'm hoping I'm wrong on this), I'd say it's more or less over. I think there are too many unknowns regarding COVID-19 and its residual effects to continue the season. For example, kids who were carriers of the disease are cropping up with kidney and heart issues. It's possible they had other preexisting conditions, but we don't know the full extent of the disease cascade and the totality of its influence on the human body. It may take an additional year or two to get a full grasp on the disease. The logistics of resuming the season will also be difficult if there isn't testing on the fly. Do they play on some remote location? How about some of the elderly coaching/training staff who have a higher risk of contracting it? It's will be a bloody mess to orchestrate a continuation of the season, much less a restart.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
If I had to guess (and I'm hoping I'm wrong on this), I'd say it's more or less over. I think there are too many unknowns regarding COVID-19 and its residual effects to continue the season. For example, kids who were carriers of the disease are cropping up with kidney and heart issues. It's possible they had other preexisting conditions, but we don't know the full extent of the disease cascade and the totality of its influence on the human body. It may take an additional year or two to get a full grasp on the disease. The logistics of resuming the season will also be difficult if there isn't testing on the fly. Do they play on some remote location? How about some of the elderly coaching/training staff who have a higher risk of contracting it? It's will be a bloody mess to orchestrate a continuation of the season, much less a restart.

It isn't much of a bubble if all NBA players, officials, staff, tv crew and their families are staying there....I would imagine there would be close to a thousand plus people there in the hotels. The logistical headache of getting that setup and getting adequate testing to make sure there isn't a super spreader is a PR headache.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Looks like a plan is in place to resume the NBA season according to Shams, I’m giddy and thrilled because I don’t think I can feel excited without watching the sport that I love...
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject:

its shoowwwtime #17 #WashedKing
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I can see it going either way myself. Sure, restarting the season would be very complicated, but it may happen.

If it doesn't, personally I can't say I really care that much. It would be nice to have the final end of the season, but I have to admit of all the things that are consuming my attention these days, that is so far down the list it doesn't even matter
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Let’s see if the “asterisk” narrative stays depending on who wins. I’m thinking the narrative will not be the same for all contending teams.

Will there be an asterisk on the trophy? Will there be an asterisk on the rings? Will there be an asterisk on the banner? If not, then it’s good enough for me.

We just watched Durant win 2 with the Warriors and despite all the complaining, those still count. So do the rings Lebron won in Miami. So do the rings Toronto won despite the Warriors having a million injuries. If asterisks matter then you could find reasons to put an asterisk on half the champions of the last decade.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Will there be an asterisk on the trophy? Will there be an asterisk on the rings? Will there be an asterisk on the banner? If not, then it’s good enough for me.

We just watched Durant win 2 with the Warriors and despite all the complaining, those still count. So do the rings Lebron won in Miami. So do the rings Toronto won despite the Warriors having a million injuries. If asterisks matter then you could find reasons to put an asterisk on half the champions of the last decade.

And if you try hard enough, you can find some reason to slap an asterisk onto every single championship, ever. I don't even understand why people try to put asterisks on any championship that was won during a shortened season. All teams had/have the same opportunity during said season. The team that wins, regardless of the circumstances, is the one that ascended above the rest and got it done.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject:

All this asterisk talk is BS, the Spurs won there 1st championship in a shortened lock out season and no one is arguing rather the Spurs only have 4 championships, as long as winning the championship this season counts then that gives us every motivation to go out and get #17.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject:

let's see who wins the chip first before we decide whether there should be an asterix
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject:

This asterisk talk is pure BS.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
All this asterisk talk is BS, the Spurs won there 1st championship in a shortened lock out season and no one is arguing rather the Spurs only have 4 championships, as long as winning the championship this season counts then that gives us every motivation to go out and get #17.

People argue all the time that the Spurs title deserves an asterisk -- in fact, Phil Jackson constantly said this.

Google "phil jackson spurs asterisk" and you can read tens of thousands of stories where Phil is saying the Spurs deserve an asterisk, they weren't a dynasty, etc. because of the shortened season.

Ultimately, of course, it's just a woulda-coulda-shoulda barroom game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

I think that the fact that the player’s union is polling them to see if they want to continue is telling. They wouldn’t do that unless they have already had feedback from the players.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that the fact that the player’s union is polling them to see if they want to continue is telling. They wouldn’t do that unless they have already had feedback from the players.

I think polling the players is just something they would naturally do. How else can the union get true feedback from the entire rank and file?

From reports, the union executive committee met last Friday with the commissioner, who answered their questions. Then all the stars met Monday to thrash it at. At some point, the union did an informal text poll of players to see if they want to continue.

It seems in concept most of the players would like to return. The caveat is they always say if it can be done in a "safe" manner, so they still have to decide what safe means.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think polling the players is just something they would naturally do. How else can the union get true feedback from the entire rank and file?

From reports, the union executive committee met last Friday with the commissioner, who answered their questions. Then all the stars met Monday to thrash it at. At some point, the union did an informal text poll of players to see if they want to continue.

It seems in concept most of the players would like to return. The caveat is they always say if it can be done in a "safe" manner, so they still have to decide what safe means.

Guys I was wondering what do the owners feel about returning?

I mean assuming there is no audience and if the games resume, owners have to pay their players now. But they won’t be having much revenue without ticket sales to help pay their players especially the smaller teams. It would seem they would be better of not starting the season.

So does the season starting actually make it harder on the owners?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject:

idk I just can't see it realistically happening still but would absolutely love to be proven wrong.

You look at the UFC which just happened and even one of there fighters got Corona during training and had to drop out (they're all separated while training so they could just replace him though). There's so many players in the NBA not to mention coaches and all other employees involved to make every different game happen. Then you have the airplanes, airports, hotels, restaurants etc etc all happening in huge numbers nightly all across the country. Then there is going to be some major financial talk that will need to be agreed upon as well if fans aren't going to be filling the seats and buying food and merchandise.

Would be nice to get some Sports going again though and at least attempt it. I'm very interested in seeing what the NBA is talking about doing. So many possibilities and questions I have.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Guys I was wondering what do the owners feel about returning?

I mean assuming there is no audience and if the games resume, owners have to pay their players now. But they won’t be having much revenue without ticket sales to help pay their players especially the smaller teams. It would seem they would be better of not starting the season.

So does the season starting actually make it harder on the owners?

The players are under contract. The owners need to pay the players regardless whether the season resumes. The owners absolutely would prefer games to start again because then they'll have some revenue to help afford those contracts.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Starting with Friday’s paycheck, the league is holding out more escrow money from players. If the league falls short on their BRI projections, escrow money goes to the owners, not the players. I posted before but most teams need 70 games to collect all of their regional TV money. They have to give back money for every game short of 70. The Lakers are not one of those teams.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject:

And if there is a re-start to the season. I can see them trying to finish at 70-72 games
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22
Jump to: