Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that the fact that the player’s union is polling them to see if they want to continue is telling. They wouldn’t do that unless they have already had feedback from the players.

I think polling the players is just something they would naturally do. How else can the union get true feedback from the entire rank and file?

From reports, the union executive committee met last Friday with the commissioner, who answered their questions. Then all the stars met Monday to thrash it at. At some point, the union did an informal text poll of players to see if they want to continue.

It seems in concept most of the players would like to return. The caveat is they always say if it can be done in a "safe" manner, so they still have to decide what safe means.

Yep, my thinking too. I think both the owners and players want to play, so they are taking baby steps to move forward. I'm assuming that the league has access to quick turnaround testing so that they can quickly catch any outbreaks.

I'm guessing a few weeks of practice and monitoring and if nothing serious happens then they move forward to actual games. I don't think a "few" positive tests would necessarily derail a resumption in play. However, if a handful of players on one team test positive like we saw with the Jazz, they may reconsider. I'm guessing the league will also watch the UFC as a barometer of the risks of close physical contact.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:

30% of the players voted that they didn’t want to play
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Wouldn’t surprise me if most of these were guys from teams who have no shot at the playoffs.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Wouldn’t surprise me if most of these were guys from teams who have no shot at the playoffs.

Yep
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

That's not what the LA Times story said. The Times contacted a number of NBA players and one of the players guessed that 70% of the players said no, but the story didn't indicate that he had knowledge of the actual voting.

Other articles have said that there was "overwhelming" support for the idea of restarting, but none of them had actual numbers or even knew how many players answered the poll
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That's not what the LA Times story said. The Times contacted a number of NBA players and one of the players guessed that 70% of the players said no, but the story didn't indicate that he had knowledge of the actual voting.

Other articles have said that there was "overwhelming" support for the idea of restarting, but none of them had actual numbers or even knew how many players answered the poll

The teams that are out of it have zero incentives to play. And the fact that it was reported that 30% of the players did not want to continue that's consistent with non-playoff teams. In fact, Steve Kerr said about 3 weeks ago that his team was preparing for next season. IMO a good indicator that if the season resumes it will commence with the playoffs
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

I really truly believe that...If the season/playoffs are going to continue, that there is a chance for some random team to win the championship.

If the season continued normally (without COVID), the winner would have probably been either us, Clippers or Bucks...But once things (hopefully) start back up, we really have no knowledge of which teams/players have been keeping up with some kind of practice, staying in shape, etc. The outcome will be the product of a lot of randomness/chance.
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I really truly believe that...If the season/playoffs are going to continue, that there is a chance for some random team to win the championship.

If the season continued normally (without COVID), the winner would have probably been either us, Clippers or Bucks...But once things (hopefully) start back up, we really have no knowledge of which teams/players have been keeping up with some kind of practice, staying in shape, etc. The outcome will be the product of a lot of randomness/chance.

My thoughts to a "T." I'd love to have insider knowledge on which teams had the largest percentage of players with access to a court.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

I read on Twitter that the popular underdog people are betting on is the Nets. With KD saying that he won’t be back I don’t see it.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Even if KD came back it would be more than a year without him playing a game
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject:

When KD comes back I expect him to be a Dirk-level player. Top 5-10. But no longer the best player in the world.

It's a shame GS broke him. KD would've been the best SF in the league this year IMO. Not a knock on LBJ. But Kawhi punked the MVP Greek Freak last playoffs. And the quarter KD played against Kawhi in the Finals showed who was king of the hill.

Oh well, injuries happen.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Even if KD came back it would be more than a year without him playing a game

Even if KD played in the 2020 playoffs, which I don’t see happening, Nets won’t win.

He will need time to be THE KD people know and then chemistry and reps with the roster.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The teams that are out of it have zero incentives to play. And the fact that it was reported that 30% of the players did not want to continue that's consistent with non-playoff teams. In fact, Steve Kerr said about 3 weeks ago that his team was preparing for next season. IMO a good indicator that if the season resumes it will commence with the playoffs

You're making a lot of assumption which may or may not be true.

Again, the 30% was simply a guess made by one player. It wasn't the findings of the actual poll. So that isn't a meaningful statistic.

53% of the teams make the playoffs. I wouldn't assume that every player on a non-playoff team is against playing, and every player on a playoff team is in favor of playing. Is every Orlando Magic player itching to be first round fodder for the Bucks? Does every Trailblazer want to throw in the towel because they are the 9th seed right now?

Some guys on non-playoff teams might want to play for the money (someone like Damon Lilliard makes $350,000 a game). Some guys on playoff teams might be concerned enough about the health risk that they don't want to play.

This could go a whole lot of different ways, and I wouldn't assume that players' opinions are going to divide along simple lines, like playoff/non-playoff teams.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

What they should do is play 5 or 6 games of the season but only with those teams that are mathematically eligible to make the playoffs within those 5/6 games. That gets rid of the Wolves, GSW in the West and basically all non-playoff teams in the East except Washington. Then what you do is if in the middle of the 5 game period, if a team no longer qualifies for the playoffs, kick them out and send them home.

This will be good for various reasons:

1. Less teams to deal is better health-wise. We go from 30 teams, down to 22.
2. Extra revenue for the NBA.
3. Excitement remains for final seeding possibilities.
4. Allows teams to get their "feet wet" so that you don't have to go straight into the playoffs.
5. Less complaints about seeding
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
What they should do is play 5 or 6 games of the season but only with those teams that are mathematically eligible to make the playoffs within those 5/6 games. That gets rid of the Wolves, GSW in the West and basically all non-playoff teams in the East except Washington. Then what you do is if in the middle of the 5 game period, if a team no longer qualifies for the playoffs, kick them out and send them home.

4. Allows teams to get their "feet wet" so that you don't have to go straight into the playoffs.

The #1 issue, above everything else, is whether you can create a situation that the players feel safe enough to play. Once you get that, you can create a plan.

But there's a lot of factors. For example, reportedly the NBA needs all 30 teams to play at least 70 games to hit certain TV thresholds to get a big chunk of cash. I suspect there are a lot of details like that that fans don't know that will shape the NBA's plan.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:

Good luck getting owners to agree to that, unless the teams who are playing split revenue with them. Most teams need to get more games in to keep their TV money.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

The #1 issue, above everything else, is whether you can create a situation that the players feel safe enough to play. Once you get that, you can create a plan.

But there's a lot of factors. For example, reportedly the NBA needs all 30 teams to play at least 70 games to hit certain TV thresholds to get a big chunk of cash. I suspect there are a lot of details like that that fans don't know that will shape the NBA's plan.

What do you do with players who don’t want to play? Make them? Let them not play but don’t pay them? Let them not play but pay them? MLB is cutting salaries while NBA players began giving money back today. Interesting, Lebron has been paid so they are taking his escrow payments out of next season’s salary. You are correct, there are a lot of things to figure out.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

What do you do with players who don’t want to play? Make them? Let them not play but don’t pay them? Let them not play but pay them? MLB is cutting salaries while NBA players began giving money back today. Interesting, Lebron has been paid so they are taking his escrow payments out of next season’s salary. You are correct, there are a lot of things to figure out.

Those are some tough issues. I don't see how they can force anyone to play. But those are all the things the players union will have to thrash out with the league.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Dinwiddie

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1261483089684922368?s=21

League will be contacting him soon...
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject:

Dinwiddie will be a Laker and become a star.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Day 1 of re-opening...

https://twitter.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1261763269418553345?s=21
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Off Topic -

I haven't been posting much on any Lakers Board for the past couple of months.

Anyone know what happened to LakerNation.com? Did it die?
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Off Topic -

I haven't been posting much on any Lakers Board for the past couple of months.

Anyone know what happened to LakerNation.com? Did it die?

No one seems to have a definitive answer. If I recall correctly, bfc1125roy says bigfetz started up lakersnation.net in hopes of getting some users back together. According to bfc, Real Deal re-surfaced recently and reported the lakersnation.com site was hacked. Sad news, man. I never signed up there and don’t know who these users are but hope they recover!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

Governor Newsom just said that "pro sports events" in California can resume in June without fans. Good sign headed in right direction for more sports events to resume later in June & July.

Per SoCal Sports. The NBA doesn’t have plans to play here but nonetheless a good sign.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Governor Newsom just said that "pro sports events" in California can resume in June without fans. Good sign headed in right direction for more sports events to resume later in June & July.

Per SoCal Sports. The NBA doesn’t have plans to play here but nonetheless a good sign.

Great news
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22
Jump to: