NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject:

I guess no Sunday or Monday night games if it bleeds into football season
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

turns out quite a few foreign companies have been ramping up for remdesivir just wait for licensing.

Home > Bangladesh

Beximco introduces COVID-19 drug remdesivir
Staff Correspondent bdnews24.com

Published: 21 May 2020 05:47 PM BdST Updated: 21 May 2020 05:47 PM BdST

Beximco Pharmaceuticals has delivered the first batch of remdesivir, an antiviral drug which has recently been authorised by the US for emergency use in the treatment of COVID-19 patients, to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Officials of Beximco handed over the clinical sample of the medicine to Health Minister Zahid Malik at a ceremony in the ministry on Thursday.

“In the US, remdesivir is being used as an emergency treatment for patients with COVID-19. Beximco succeeded in producing the drug here in this region,” Malik told reporters.

“It will be administered to high-risk patients with terminal illnesses. It will be up to the doctors and experts to decide which patients will be treated with the medicine. We hope that this will help save lives.”

As things stand, there is no proven cure for the novel coronavirus infection that manifests with symptoms like pneumonia. But globally, different countries are using some drugs to treat its symptoms.

The government gave the green light to Square Pharma, Eskayef, Beacon, Beximco and Incepta Pharmaceuticals to start production of experimental drugs such as hydroxychloroquine, favipiravir and remdesivir.

“All medicines have some kind of effect on the patients, but none of them is a complete cure for the disease. The doctors have taken some medicines under their protocol,” said the health minister.

https://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2020/05/21/beximco-introduces-covid-19-drug-remdesivir
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
turns out quite a few foreign companies have been ramping up for remdesivir just wait for licensing.

Home > Bangladesh

Beximco introduces COVID-19 drug remdesivir
Staff Correspondent bdnews24.com

Published: 21 May 2020 05:47 PM BdST Updated: 21 May 2020 05:47 PM BdST

Beximco Pharmaceuticals has delivered the first batch of remdesivir, an antiviral drug which has recently been authorised by the US for emergency use in the treatment of COVID-19 patients, to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Officials of Beximco handed over the clinical sample of the medicine to Health Minister Zahid Malik at a ceremony in the ministry on Thursday.

“In the US, remdesivir is being used as an emergency treatment for patients with COVID-19. Beximco succeeded in producing the drug here in this region,” Malik told reporters.

“It will be administered to high-risk patients with terminal illnesses. It will be up to the doctors and experts to decide which patients will be treated with the medicine. We hope that this will help save lives.”

As things stand, there is no proven cure for the novel coronavirus infection that manifests with symptoms like pneumonia. But globally, different countries are using some drugs to treat its symptoms.

The government gave the green light to Square Pharma, Eskayef, Beacon, Beximco and Incepta Pharmaceuticals to start production of experimental drugs such as hydroxychloroquine, favipiravir and remdesivir.

“All medicines have some kind of effect on the patients, but none of them is a complete cure for the disease. The doctors have taken some medicines under their protocol,” said the health minister.

https://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2020/05/21/beximco-introduces-covid-19-drug-remdesivir

I like how Health Minister Malik and the writer of this article frames this to the public in Bangladesh. Low on hype, just a realistic picture. Also, good to see remdesivir licenses granted worldwide.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

The best treatment for this is:

Lockdown for 14-21 more days
Mandatory Testing of EVERYONE.
Allow anyone who tests negative is allowed to go back to work or school.

Continue to test and isolate those people who test positive.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
The best treatment for this is:

Lockdown for 14-21 more days
Mandatory Testing of EVERYONE.
Allow anyone who tests negative is allowed to go back to work or school.

Continue to test and isolate those people who test positive.

I like your idea but are there enough (accurate) test kits to do that?

If so, you got my vote. Except I don't want to go back to the office, I prefer home lol.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The NBA has entered into exploratory conversations with the Walt Disney Corporation about restarting the remainder of its season at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida in late July, NBA spokesperson Mike Bass said Saturday.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA surveyed GMs on several formats to restart the season:
- 16 teams directly to playoffs
- “Playoffs Plus” (play-in or group stage)
- All 30 teams — or all 30 teams with play-in tournament

Full story on @TheAthleticNBA:

30 teams getting a shot at playoffs is a bad precedent. It’s a short-term grab at money that will de-value the $$ from a traditional 82 game season. I would becareful with that one if I’m Silver and league office.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

30 teams getting a shot at playoffs is a bad precedent. It’s a short-term grab at money that will de-value the $$ from a traditional 82 game season. I would becareful with that one if I’m Silver and league office.

I'm guessing 30 teams to start the season means the few games fulfilling TV contract minimums, not 30 teams qualify. It sounds crazy to bring the Cavs and Knicks there to walk through a few games but there is a lot of money riding on it. I haven't been checking but has the league been negotiating anything if they can't hit their minimums? It makes sense to take some of a loss to not have to expose players that aren't needed for a playoffs and those that do qualify.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

if 30 teams go to playoffs then lottery should be open for 30 teams as well with equal chance of getting the top pick
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29213517/nba-talks-resume-play-disney-espn-wide-world-sports-complex

I guess we're restarting sometimes before July. I'm so glad the season wasn't canceled as we were the favorite to win it all. I hope everyone's been staying in shape like Lebron. I think Lebron is going to run circles around all those players who's been putting up a few pounds during quarantine.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

if 30 teams go to playoffs then lottery should be open for 30 teams as well with equal chance of getting the top pick

100%. Can’t have it both ways.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

I proposed that idea, this isn’t a regular 82-game season so make it fun. Call it what it is, an end of season exhibition tourney with no champion this season. I don’t see owners passing the first proposal, too many would lose TV money. That is the one proposal that would result in a sullied title.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:

30 team battle royale at Disney World .
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

I proposed that idea, this isn’t a regular 82-game season so make it fun. Call it what it is, an end of season exhibition tourney with no champion this season. I don’t see owners passing the first proposal, too many would lose TV money. That is the one proposal that would result in a sullied title.

why are players risking their health if there is no championship?

these are millionaires so getting salary is not an issue
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

why are players risking their health if there is no championship?

these are millionaires so getting salary is not an issue

Actually it is a big issue. They are losing 30% of their pay right now to an escrow account that they more than likely won’t get back. A good portion of NBA players live check to check. Just starting with the playoffs would be a joke, teams have played different numbers of games and a lot of owners lose TV money if they don’t play 70 games. I wouldn’t expect to see that option voted in.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Its an extraordinary circumstance, but I still see a team crowned a champion. The NBA purists will cry foul since it won't follow the usual NBA season, it will probably have a footnote like those seasons where there was a shortened NBA season. It won't matter though because in 2020, all sports have had their seasons interrupted by this pandemic.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Lakers and Dodgers both heavy favorites, of all times this (bleep) happened. Sadly even if we win an asterisk padded title still won't be a typical parade down Figueroa and Olympic as during previous title runs.

1978-2020
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Its an extraordinary circumstance, but I still see a team crowned a champion. The NBA purists will cry foul since it won't follow the usual NBA season, it will probably have a footnote like those seasons where there was a shortened NBA season. It won't matter though because in 2020, all sports have had their seasons interrupted by this pandemic.

I just want #17!!

They want to argue. We say asterisk the first 10 Boston rings
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

I think the asterisks thing is overdone. I rarely hear people say a championship has an Asterisk, unless they had a grudge against the team that won the ring that year, and they probably would have thought of some reason to discount it under any circumstances.

Ultimately a ring is a ring is a ring
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

At least in the strike/lock out seasons everyone played by the same rules. If we go straight to the playoffs now it wouldn’t be the case.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

At least in the strike/lock out seasons everyone played by the same rules. If we go straight to the playoffs now it wouldn’t be the case.

NHL set their playoff rules this week. A couple of teams got left out. Funny I don't see anybody crying foul about that. Guess what if you are that far back in the playoff chase and a pandemic strikes thats just too bad. It effected everyone.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Hey Guys, just sharing an article showing the results of remdesivir trail. Nothing new that was already mentioned but now confirmed.

Fauci already said that it lowered the average day of recovery. What interests me is there was a significant difference in mortality (21 people were dead vs 28 in placebo 15 days after treatment), although not statistically difference.

If you actually look at the differences Fauci mentioned, in day of recovery shorted from 15 to 11 days and mortality from 11% to 8%..the percent difference from 15 to 11 & 11 to 8 is about 36-37%. And in this study, it was 28 to 21 people about a 33% difference.

So my guess is that the reason mortality rates didn't show a statistical difference is because a much shorter number of people die (in placebo group, 11% died). So since the sample size was smaller, a statictisical diffrerence wasn't found..but the difference in mortality rate is significant neithereless. To make a long story short, I think redemsivir actually does make a big difference in mortality rate.

Link

Results from the remdesivir COVID-19 trial are out, and it’s good news

Overall, treatment with remdesivir shortened a patient's time to recovery compared to the placebo group, from an average of 15 days to 11 days. Improvements occurred whether or not the patient was receiving supplemental oxygen. What's more, the data lays to rest any worries that remdesivir has to be given very early after the onset of symptoms.

The trial's main secondary outcome—how a participant was doing on day 15—also showed that remdesivir was significantly better than placebo. And the total number of deaths was lower in the remdesivir group (21 versus 28) at this point, although that difference was not statistically significant. (An analysis of mortality at day 28 is still ongoing, given that enrollment in the study only ended in late April.)

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05/the-antiviral-remdesivir-shortens-covid-19-recovery-times-study-shows/
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-05-24-20-intl/h_1463a84b36e5a40b3bba1b6389c70e6f

Hospitalized Covid-19 patients appear to fare better when they receive infusions of antibody-filled convalescent plasma, according to a study released on Friday.

The study hasn’t been peer reviewed or published in an academic journal, but researchers said the findings are a good sign for the plasma therapy, which is derived from the blood of recovered Covid-19 patients.

We are encouraged that our initial assessment offers evidence in support of convalescent plasma as an effective intervention," said Dr. Nicole Bouvier, an associate professor at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and a co-author on the study, in a statement.
Researchers are "remaining mindful that additional studies are needed to confirm these findings and draw more definitive conclusions in different populations," she said.

The new study was small. It compared 39 patients who received convalescent plasma with "matched controls" – patients who didn’t receive plasma but were similar to those who did.

It wasn't a traditional clinical trial because patients weren’t randomly assigned to a treatment group or a control group. Instead, the controls were picked after-the-fact using an algorithm.

Still, patients who received plasma saw improved survival. As of May 1, about 13% of patients who received the treatment had died, compared to 24% of those who didn’t.

The researchers said larger studies were needed, but they noted that the mortality benefit was limited to patients who didn’t need a breathing tube.

"We did not observe significant benefit of convalescent plasma in intubated patients, consistent with past literature demonstrating that passive antibody transfer therapies are most efficacious early in disease," they wrote.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks LAR and Cal1.

As for re-starting the NBA season; I'm all for giving all 30 teams a few games, but playing in Orlando means there will be no home team seeding advantage. Bottom tier teams that didn't do (bleep) during the pre-Covid portion of this season should find themselves on the short end of a double elimination setup for the first round.

And yeah, maybe the choice should be participate in the playoffs or participate in a draft lottery, take your pick, but you don't get both. Let each GM decide.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Thanks LAR and Cal1.

As for re-starting the NBA season; I'm all for giving all 30 teams a few games, but playing in Orlando means there will be no home team seeding advantage. Bottom tier teams that didn't do (bleep) during the pre-Covid portion of this season should find themselves on the short end of a double elimination setup for the first round.

And yeah, maybe the choice should be participate in the playoffs or participate in a draft lottery, take your pick, but you don't get both. Let each GM decide.

The bottom tier teams don’t need to be in the playoffs, just get their 70 games in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 93 of 130
Jump to: