Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
acer77 wrote:
I'm very optimistic that the season will be restarted May-July with an abbreviated post-season.

Told you they'd be back.

I'm always correct.

Nicely done
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KBandKB wrote:
What they should do is play 5 or 6 games of the season but only with those teams that are mathematically eligible to make the playoffs within those 5/6 games. That gets rid of the Wolves, GSW in the West and basically all non-playoff teams in the East except Washington. Then what you do is if in the middle of the 5 game period, if a team no longer qualifies for the playoffs, kick them out and send them home.

This will be good for various reasons:

1. Less teams to deal is better health-wise. We go from 30 teams, down to 22.
2. Extra revenue for the NBA.
3. Excitement remains for final seeding possibilities.
4. Allows teams to get their "feet wet" so that you don't have to go straight into the playoffs.
5. Less complaints about seeding

Good luck getting owners to agree to that, unless the teams who are playing split revenue with them. Most teams need to get more games in to keep their TV money.

CALLED IT! lol... kinda. I was a little off, but still. close enough.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KBandKB wrote:
What they should do is play 5 or 6 games of the season but only with those teams that are mathematically eligible to make the playoffs within those 5/6 games. That gets rid of the Wolves, GSW in the West and basically all non-playoff teams in the East except Washington. Then what you do is if in the middle of the 5 game period, if a team no longer qualifies for the playoffs, kick them out and send them home.

4. Allows teams to get their "feet wet" so that you don't have to go straight into the playoffs.

Good luck getting owners to agree to that, unless the teams who are playing split revenue with them. Most teams need to get more games in to keep their TV money.

Nothing has been agreed on.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KBandKB wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

Nothing has been agreed on.

eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

Nicely done you were pretty damn close to what was agreed on. Outside of the play-in stuff. Which I guess they needed for excitement and just to get the 9/10/11/12 seeds to agree to come back and play.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA has set an August 25 Draft Lottery and October 15 Draft, sources say.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1268600025879392257?s=21
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

The NBA finals is big money time. The season was never going to be canceled. Two months away though it seems. See you all when it restarts
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Last edited by AD23 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

This may be too soon, but paging OP george w kush... 🤣
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
On a conference call this afternoon, the National Basketball Players Association has voted to play the resumption of 2019-20 season, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Going back and reading some of this thread, wow some looked to be actively rooting for no basketball.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
On a conference call this afternoon, the National Basketball Players Association has voted to play the resumption of 2019-20 season, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Going back and reading some of this thread, wow some looked to be actively rooting for no basketball.

Yes, imagine putting health over entertainment.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Yes, imagine putting health over entertainment.

I’m sure if the clippers win, you will be celebrating the entertainment and the fact that it was “necessary” for the NBA to come back to finish 2019-20 campaign.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I didn’t care if they came back or not, I had more serious things to worry about. I’m glad they are, and the NHL as well. That will give me more entertainment options and after the NFL, those are my two favorite sports to watch.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

There's never been a higher likelihood that a team who isn't the best wins a chip this year. And for that reason. I'm not excited the NBA is coming back.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
There's never been a higher likelihood that a team who isn't the best wins a chip this year. And for that reason. I'm not excited the NBA is coming back.

Really? The long season grind ensured injuries hobbled the best team last year. As soon as half the Warriors team was decimated it was a certainty the best team was going to lose.

In fact Finals series in general increase the likelihood of the best team throughout the year not winning. If we were to endorse a system where the best team gets rewarded the NBA would likely adopt a system similar to the English Premier League where the top team at the end of the season wins the title.

Of course that means no Playoff money and attention. Because the NBA isn't just a sport, it's a spectator sport, the spectators and the money are important.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

That’s honest and understandable.

For example, it would suck to see the gimmick Rockets win.

I’m in the happy to have sports back camp, but I understand your point of view and appreciate the honesty.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Really? The long season grind ensured injuries hobbled the best team last year. As soon as half the Warriors team was decimated it was a certainty the best team was going to lose.

In fact Finals series in general increase the likelihood of the best team throughout the year not winning. If we were to endorse a system where the best team gets rewarded the NBA would likely adopt a system similar to the English Premier League where the top team at the end of the season wins the title.

Of course that means no Playoff money and attention. Because the NBA isn't just a sport, it's a spectator sport, the spectators and the money are important.

I didn't say "this could be the 1st season the best team in the league doesn't win".

I said the "likelihood" of a lesser team winning is at a higher level than ever before.

Which makes sense. You brought up injuries. Injuries could/will happen. But on top of that, we have a largely asymptomatic pandemic that could wipe out a teams championship aspirations with a few simple tests.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That’s honest and understandable.

For example, it would suck to see the gimmick Rockets win.

I’m in the happy to have sports back camp, but I understand your point of view and appreciate the honesty.

Same to you. Fingers crossed we get the chip.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

The teams with youth on their side have the advantage. Under no circumstances do we want to play the Pelicans in the first round, I'm telling you.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject:

As long as Clippers or Boston don't get it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I can't say I'm any more or any less excited than any other season. It's just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. No matter what happens, it will soon be a fading object in the rear view mirror of life
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I can't say I'm any more or any less excited than any other season. It's just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. No matter what happens, it will soon be a fading object in the rear view mirror of life

I've wanted the season back really because of LeBron. He's 35, he was having a great year...none of us know when age is going to creep up on him like every other athlete. So I really wanted to finish this season at least to see him have a chance to win a title since time is not on his side.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Both have legit chance of winning
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Yup. Or Houston. Boston winning would suck most of all. The Clippers winning would be a close second in terms of raw suckage. Smarmy KL is one of the things I miss the least during this shut down.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I've wanted the season back really because of LeBron. He's 35, he was having a great year...none of us know when age is going to creep up on him like every other athlete. So I really wanted to finish this season at least to see him have a chance to win a title since time is not on his side.

Rest and recuperation is on his side, but I agree, we can count the number of prime seasons he has left on one hand with fingers to spare. I was also dreading the missed opportunity, now we have hope.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22
Jump to: