2020 NBA Season Restart /NON LAKER RESTART GAMES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 274, 275, 276  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Coaches Association Not On Board

Per Nichols

The NBA Coaches Association says the rules for the Orlando campus endanger future employment prospects for its members - here's more on the showdown that's spurred Mike D'Antoni & Alvin Gentry's agent to say he'll pursue with legal action if necessary:

https://twitter.com/rachel__nichols/status/1273708241185386503?s=21
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/33643pts/status/1273870540193837056?s=21
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

^ the tweet above

”Bill Simmons and JJ Redick hint that the Lakers have been secretly scrimmaging throughout quarantine at a mansion in Bel-Air with a replica Staples Center court.”

I feel like I missed something. Aside from the obvious that Simmons is annoying as all hell with his Lakers hatred, would that be against a rule of some kind? If they want to go to someone’s house I’m their downtime I mean I guess it’s against the spirit of the stay at home orders but is it against some NBA rule? Against the law? I’m not listening to find out but what’s his problem, exactly?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

^ the tweet above

”Bill Simmons and JJ Redick hint that the Lakers have been secretly scrimmaging throughout quarantine at a mansion in Bel-Air with a replica Staples Center court.”

I feel like I missed something. Aside from the obvious that Simmons is annoying as all hell with his Lakers hatred, would that be against a rule of some kind? If they want to go to someone’s house I’m their downtime I mean I guess it’s against the spirit of the stay at home orders but is it against some NBA rule? Against the law? I’m not listening to find out but what’s his problem, exactly?

I could be wrong but I remember reading the NBA having strict rules that you could not hold anything organized at facilities or anywhere during quarantine and that’s on top of Governor Newsom’s mandates early on.

It’s all BS though. I’m sure the Lakers weren’t the only team to do this.

I’m sure the Clippers, Bucks and any of the other top contenders did this too. Just the Lakers get all the attention obviously.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/baxter/status/1274553574622523392?s=21

This was coming. Florida is Florida.

This is first legit sign imo that season may not resume. Too many moving parts if Orlando is canceled.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

This is first legit sign imo that season may not resume. Too many moving parts if Orlando is canceled.

Not NBA but seeing how many infections are on college football teams that practiced and MLB practice facilities being closed down for cleaning in the news this week, I have my doubts the NBA will resume....just too many moving variables. The virus just seems to spread too easily and it seems reckless to organize close contact sports unless there is a significant development in the mass production of a working treatment.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I don’t think there gonna cancel the season if playing in Orlando becomes a concern they can just move the season and playoffs to another location.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I don’t think there gonna cancel the season if playing in Orlando becomes a concern they can just move the season and playoffs to another location.

Is it confirmed Las Vegas is the backup site.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Is it confirmed Las Vegas is the backup site.

You can't run away from COVID-19. Las Vegas has had a surge of cases over the last couple of days too.

No matter what the NBA does, there is going to be a chance of players getting sick, and the virus spreading through a team or the entire league.

A bubble only reduces the risk. It doesn't eliminate it.

This is a highly contagious, and potentially fatal virus, with no known cure. People are going to continue to get sick and die from it; NBA players are not immune from being some of those people.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

A “bubble” with people constantly coming in and out likely doesn’t reduce the chances of infection. Do they really need the money that much? Imagine the lawsuits if someone unfortunately dies. I’ve dealt with this in a full suit with a full face respirator, I wouldn’t gamble.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1274745802074849281?s=21

It’s windhorst, so take it for what you will.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A “bubble” with people constantly coming in and out likely doesn’t reduce the chances of infection. Do they really need the money that much? Imagine the lawsuits if someone unfortunately dies. I’ve dealt with this in a full suit with a full face respirator, I wouldn’t gamble.

A bubble could reduce the chance of infection, especially if the hotel workers and other staff are tested each time they come to work. It certainly doesn't eliminate the chance of infection -- nothing will do that.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject:

Yeah, moving the location of the bubble won't change the chances of people getting infected. We have cases spiking in states where there aren't huge populations, but because people let their guard down. It will certainly be interesting if they manage to finish the season. Bring the popcorn.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

A bubble could reduce the chance of infection, especially if the hotel workers and other staff are tested each time they come to work. It certainly doesn't eliminate the chance of infection -- nothing will do that.

Agreed. We can’t quarantine the population for 2 years. Someone will contract the virus and it will spread. Whether the league starts back up or doesn’t until January for 2020-21 season, the same scenarios will exist.

It’s been roughly 3 months and Americans just gave up. At least 40-60% of the US population will contract the virus. It’s inevitable imo. Let’s just hope a vaccine is available soon.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Agreed. We can’t quarantine the population for 2 years. Someone will contract the virus and it will spread. Whether the league starts back up or doesn’t until January for 2020-21 season, the same scenarios will exist.

It’s been roughly 3 months and Americans just gave up. At least 40-60% of the US population will contract the virus. It’s inevitable imo. Let’s just hope a vaccine is available soon.

Not all Americans
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not all Americans

Yeah shouldn’t have generalized!

The issue is it’s a numbers game and even if it’s 20% of the US population not following protocols or saying F it, that’s a huge number to the point where some of the other 80% is bound to catch this virus.

It sure doesn’t help that we have major issues dividing the country right now. Bad combination with people in quarantine ready to burst.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I’ve thought about this. FL restaurants were open for a whole week before they had to shut them back down again LV isn’t doing great either, but they seem to be in better shape than FL. Hmmm... 🤔

EDIT: I should add that a lot of the decision behind Orlando was because production facilities were already in place. So logistically moving might not be that easy to find a place that has ample accommodations, plus arena space, plus broadcast facility etc. etc.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Confirmed by Walt Disney World sources:
Coronado Springs (home of Gran Destino Tower), Grand Floridian (non-DVC) and Yacht Club will not open until after the NBA is clear of each property.

Reopen dates for each:
Yacht Club - 8/24
Grand Floridian - 9/21
Coronado Springs - 10/14

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1274839287712960512?s=21
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject:

If the restart of the NBA season is successful, it will give us more confidence about being out and about again without getting the virus.

We can't just stay inside and stop living life until we reach herd immunity one way or another. We need to start going outside again while being hypervigilant and taking the right precautions.

NBA players have become really diligent about things like diet, training and sleep these days. Since most are probably "metabolically healthy," they may only get a cold or mild flu-like symptoms if they get this virus.

The thinking is that the severity of the virus in different people may have to do with how metabolically healthy they are and even their blood type.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:

My fear is we gonna be without any true centers if (bleep) hits the fan...Javalle with his chronic asthma and Dwight might sit out. Is the ghost of Pau or Bynum PO eligible if either wants back.??

1978-2020
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If the restart of the NBA season is successful, it will give us more confidence about being out and about again without getting the virus.

We can't just stay inside and stop living life until we reach herd immunity one way or another. We need to start going outside again while being hypervigilant and taking the right precautions.

NBA players have become really diligent about things like diet, training and sleep these days. Since most are probably "metabolically healthy," they may only get a cold or mild flu-like symptoms if they get this virus.

The thinking is that the severity of the virus in different people may have to do with how metabolically healthy they are and even their blood type.

People are going outside. Some are being vigilant. Some aren't. That's why we have having big spikes in the virus.

Whatever happens with the NBA won't affect any of our personal risk, and it won't affect my personal actions.

I'll do stuff outdoors, like hiking and backpacking. I'll do the stuff I have to do, like buy groceries. But I won't be going in restaurants, gyms, movie theatres or be in crowds until they get a vaccine.

Right now, there are lots of theories, but no answers. And all the stuff about blood type, etc., may at best predict the amount of risk different people have. But if I found out my blood type made me 10% less likely to get the virus, that wouldn't change my actions.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

People are going outside. Some are being vigilant. Some aren't. That's why we have having big spikes in the virus.

Whatever happens with the NBA won't affect any of our personal risk, and it won't affect my personal actions.

I'll do stuff outdoors, like hiking and backpacking. I'll do the stuff I have to do, like buy groceries. But I won't be going in restaurants, gyms, movie theatres or be in crowds until they get a vaccine.

Right now, there are lots of theories, but no answers. And all the stuff about blood type, etc., may at best predict the amount of risk different people have. But if I found out my blood type made me 10% less likely to get the virus, that wouldn't change my actions.

The big spikes are happening in certain states where, because of politics, more people are probably not wearing masks because they think that wearing a mask and social distancing is a political statement instead of taking common sense precautions.

We haven't seen big spikes in L.A. or NYC, despite the massive protests in both cities the last few weeks. It's probably because most protesters were wearing masks.

For that reason, and also because of the strict protocols the NBA will have, I'm not that concerned about players getting the coronavirus, let along having more than a cold or mild flu if they get it.
chosen valor
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Coronavirus faker than a two dollar bill.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Spikes are from all the asymptomatic cases; the youngins are catching it. What's good is that the death rate has stabilized or is even down-trending. That's more important. I have faith that at least one or two of the vaccines that are in stageII/III trials will work.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

The big spikes are happening in certain states where, because of politics, more people are probably not wearing masks because they think that wearing a mask and social distancing is a political statement instead of taking common sense precautions.

We haven't seen big spikes in L.A. or NYC, despite the massive protests in both cities the last few weeks. It's probably because most protesters were wearing masks.

For that reason, and also because of the strict protocols the NBA will have, I'm not that concerned about players getting the coronavirus, let along having more than a cold or mild flu if they get it.

So if people were wearing masks (quite a lot didn't) but didn't social distance, and we haven't seen big spikes, does that mean that we just need to wear masks and not worry about social distancing?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 274, 275, 276  Next
Page 3 of 276
Jump to: