2020 NBA Season Restart /NON LAKER RESTART GAMES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 274, 275, 276  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Cancel this Florida plan. And do it in Hawaii instead. I know that screws things up for the league and what not. But if/when this thing starts up in Florida and the numbers spike in the bubble. Alot of people will be saying how dumb and reckless this plan was all along.

You could actually do this safely in Hawaii (a state that has a 14 day quarantine for all arriving passengers). But I get it. The time zone makes it tough for games to be shown during prime eastern time markets. And travel expenses. And we have to make Disney happy. And yada yada $ is more important than long term lung scarring from COVID to the players.

Seeing how people running the Hawaiian government is trying to limit people from the lower 48 states from traveling to their state, I don't think they would be welcoming of the NBA's bubble league.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rob Pelinka: "Orlando is going to be as much a mental test as a physical test. ... I think a team like ours will have an advantage."
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Nothing Definitive on Dwight
I’m playing catch-up. I worked today and got several Critical Errors on the board today 🤨

Per Moreno

Rob Pelinka says Lakers have been "working very closely" with Dwight Howard. He didn't give notice of opting out, so team is hopeful Howard will be on roster in Orlando.

https://twitter.com/mmoreno1015/status/1278058100486893568?s=21

Per Goon

Rob Pelinka says Dwight Howard has not opted out of the Orlando restart, but says helping him figure out his issues with his son whose mother died during the quarantine is still ongoing. Says he's hopeful that Dwight will be with the team next month when the season resumes.

https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/1278058234071248897?s=21

Note: Decisions have to be made tomorrow.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

There is no way in hell I would leave my kid to be locked up with Florida Disney employees coming and going every day.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Bullet Points from Pelinka’s Presser

Per Trudell

New Story: Bullet Points from Rob Pelinka’s Zoom call with media members today, including thoughts on Avery Bradley, Dwight Howard, the Orlando bubble, the key for LAL to succeed in the playoff push, the social justice movement and more:

https://twitter.com/lakersreporter/status/1278108605858770944?s=21

Full Article - https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/063020-rob-pelinka-conference-call-bullet-points
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
There is no way in hell I would leave my kid to be locked up with Florida Disney employees coming and going every day.

Yeah that’s ridiculous.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah that’s ridiculous.

1 - how much did he see the kid BEFORE the lockdown?

2 - is he going to be the primary caregiver going forward?

My completely uneducated guess is that Dwight was seeing the youngest kid intermittently and the maternal grandparents will be primary caretakers.

Last edited by Dr. Laker on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Nothing Definitive on Dwight
I’m playing catch-up. I worked today and got several Critical Errors on the board today 🤨

Per Moreno

Rob Pelinka says Lakers have been "working very closely" with Dwight Howard. He didn't give notice of opting out, so team is hopeful Howard will be on roster in Orlando.

https://twitter.com/mmoreno1015/status/1278058100486893568?s=21

Per Goon

Rob Pelinka says Dwight Howard has not opted out of the Orlando restart, but says helping him figure out his issues with his son whose mother died during the quarantine is still ongoing. Says he's hopeful that Dwight will be with the team next month when the season resumes.

https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/1278058234071248897?s=21

Note: Decisions have to be made tomorrow.

I had no idea the mother of one of Dwight's kids died in May. If opts out to stay with the kid, I'll respect that.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
TDRock wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah that’s ridiculous.

1 - how much did he see the kid BEFORE the lockdown?

2 - is he going to be the primary caregiver going forward?

My completely uneducated guess is that Dwight was seeing the youngest kid intermittently and the maternal grandparents will be primary caretakers.

Probably so but I’d bet he’d be more involved since the kid’s mother’s passing. That tends to change things.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Cancel this Florida plan. And do it in Hawaii instead. I know that screws things up for the league and what not. But if/when this thing starts up in Florida and the numbers spike in the bubble. Alot of people will be saying how dumb and reckless this plan was all along.

You could actually do this safely in Hawaii (a state that has a 14 day quarantine for all arriving passengers). But I get it. The time zone makes it tough for games to be shown during prime eastern time markets. And travel expenses. And we have to make Disney happy. And yada yada $ is more important than long term lung scarring from COVID to the players.

Seeing how people running the Hawaiian government is trying to limit people from the lower 48 states from traveling to their state, I don't think they would be welcoming of the NBA's bubble league.

The bubble would actually have a high chance of succeeding there. Since it could be multi-layered (league and state level).

But hey, I don't blame Hawaii. They're doing what you always see in the zombie movies. Letting the infected areas fend for themselves. Except we're dumber than the people in those zombie worlds. Since we're willingly choosing to spread the virus.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I think it's just the opposite. Hawaii's economy is tourism. If all the NBA personnel were tested/quarantined to ensure they didn't have the virus, I suspect they would welcome the NBA with open arms.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject:

The NBA is really a joke. The costs of continuing the season far outweigh the benefits. I still believe the season will not finish as it will be like moving sh-it against the tide. Time to move on.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
New Haberstat: 0.

As in, zero teams at the 65-game mark since 2000 have overcome a larger than 3-game deficit behind the No. 8 seed and made the playoffs.

PHX, WAS, SAS, SAC, NOP and POR are all 3.5+ games back of No. 8.

They got a gift. Now let's see what they do with it.

https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/1278338070358765569?s=21

If anything should be an asterisk it’s this. 65 games is enough for Memphis to have earned that 8 seed. I would be pissed if I’m them. It’s really just a gimmick to get Zion into the playoffs.

Last edited by LakerSD on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

Silver Sez Restart Not About Money

Oh.

Per CBS Sports

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-says-returning-to-play-is-not-about-dollars-and-cents/

NBA teams are scheduled to begin traveling to Florida next week, with staggered arrivals between July 7 and July 9. The league plans to resume the season on July 30 at Disney World, despite a surge of COVID-19 cases in the area.

In an interview with TIME Magazine, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said that it is "never 'full steam no matter what,'" but the league is moving forward. "Our best understanding of this virus is that it's not going away anytime soon so we feel we have to find a way to move forward, and this is our way," Silver said.

The interview touched on a number of topics, from health risks to potential protests and on-court profanity. Perhaps most interesting was his claim that the NBA's return to play plan is not about money. His full quote:

Sean Gregory, TIME Magazine: You mentioned, Adam, economic necessity. How much is that coming into play here?

Silver: It comes into play in that we feel an obligation to our sport and to the industry to find our new normal. And so, I mean it doesn't come into play in terms of dollars and cents because frankly, it's not all that economical for us to play on this campus. It's enormously expensive. Obviously, we don't have fans. I should've mentioned earlier, so, we're not selling tickets. But as I said, we almost see it as our duty to find a way that we can still provide the sport of basketball to our fans and to the broader community. This is how we're going to do it. This is not a sustainable model over the long term, that's for sure, at least based on the way we've conducted our sport historically. But again, we view this extraordinary circumstance. You know, as Dr. Fauci and others have said many times, this will end. This will not be our new normal forever. And whether that's another year or another two years, again, we felt it was incumbent on us to find a way that we can do what we do, which is to say play NBA basketball.
This is not the first time Silver has said something like this. On ESPN's "Return of Sports" special two weeks ago, he said that "the incremental difference between at this point playing and not playing isn't nearly as great as people think especially given the enormous expense in putting this on." He also argued that it would be "a respite from enormous difficulties people are dealing with in their lives right now," and that the NBA had an "obligation to try this because the alternative is to stay on the sidelines."

In essence, Silver is making the case that sports returning has an intangible benefit to the nation's psyche, that the NBA will give people something to look forward to and enjoy, that this massive operation is for the greater good. This idea is not without merit, and in fact some public-health experts have spoken recently about the intrinsic value of sports.

"There are a lot of benefits of having sports," Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told ESPN's Zach Lowe. "An entire year and a half without sports would be painful for our country. I'm supportive of attempts to try to get sports back."

There is a difference, however, between highlighting the non-financial benefits of the return and downplaying its obvious financial benefits. Silver has done both of these things, and in doing the latter he has chosen to compare the amount of money the NBA will make from the restart to what it would make in a normal season with fans in arenas, rather than comparing it to the real-life alternative: playing no games and making no money.

The NBA should aspire to be more than a money-making machine, but it is also a business. Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban acknowledged as such to TIME on Tuesday.

"I mean, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't say that [money] had something to do with it," Cuban said. "You know, is it for the money? Yes, that's a big part of it. Is it because our guys are professionals and they want to do their jobs like any other professional in any other industry? Yes, that's a big part of it. Is it because we know that the American citizenry needs a distraction and wants something to root for and cheer for and that professional sports…can really play a big role and improve the mental health of this country? Yes, that plays a role in it as well."

Your mileage may vary on how much of an effect you think the return of sports will have on the mental health of a country that is dealing with a deadly pandemic and rampant unemployment. Reasonable people can also disagree about how risky it is for the NBA to be setting up its campus in an area where there is a particularly scary outbreak. There should be no confusion, however, about the financial incentive for the NBA here. It is immense.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Dwight At Home in ATL

Per McTen

Dwight Howard remains in his Atlanta-area home, satisfying the league's quarantine and testing protocol, a league source told ESPN. The Lakers, who fly from L.A. to Orlando on July 9, hope their back-up center will eventually join them in Florida

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1278482529473818624?s=21

EARLIER DWIGHT TWEETS FROM TANIA G AND BRAD TURNER

Frank Vogel on Dwight Howard: "We don't know what the level of participation is going to be yet. He wants to play. we're hopeful that he'll join us."

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/1278416469903028224?s=21

Sources added that Dwight Howard was on Lakers Zoom conference call Monday, giving them added hope he will join them in Orlando for NBA restart to season.

https://twitter.com/ba_turner/status/1278457768249135105?s=21
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Thabo Out

Per Woj

Houston Rockets F Thabo Sefolosha is opting-out of Orlando restart, sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1278442081795674113?s=21
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Dallas FC club all tested negative Saturday morning before flying to Orlando. When tested again in Orlando, 6 were positive. So much for the concept of a “bubble”.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dallas FC club all tested negative Saturday morning before flying to Orlando. When tested again in Orlando, 6 were positive. So much for the concept of a “bubble”.

This isn’t good news at all vlc. I read something like the virus has to replicate 3000 times before a positive will show. Meaning for some people they won’t show a positive right away and so they can still spread the virus.

On the flip side when the viral load is this small it is harder to spread. The league is probably going to have to keep players social distance except when they can’t Like a game for instance or practices. And continuous testing.

It will be hard for sure
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject:

More ‘Rona Problems

Per Woike

The NBA has announced nine more positive coronavirus tests. 25 of the league’s 351 players have tested positive since June 23. 10 staff out of 884 tested have also tested positive.

https://twitter.com/danwoikesports/status/1278729266985754624?s=21

Currently 7.12 percent of the NBA players tested have returned a positive test. Just 1.13 percent of staff tested have returned positive tests.

https://twitter.com/danwoikesports/status/1278729749175525378?s=21

Per Woj (he posted the NBA press release if you would like to read it)

NBA on further testing of players and staff:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1278729053877436416?s=21
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

Lakers Don’t *Seem* To Be Part of the New ‘Rona Wave

They haven’t said anything and Pelinka is being cagey

Per Faigen (Pelinka quote at link)

Rob Pelinka, after demurring on a few questions about COVID tests, explained why the Lakers haven't shared very much information on those beyond that two players had tested positive back when the season shut down.

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1278070435083546625?s=21

The Lakers have made it clear they're going to let their players decide to reveal if they test positive or not, but we know Caruso, AD and LeBron were not in this wave since they were at the gym yesterday.

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1278729527036801024?s=21
sean
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Dave McMenamin
@mcten

Frank Vogel, on a video conference call today, said it was a “miserable” experience making cuts to the Lakers’ normal traveling party to meet the 36-person requirement for ORL. He said the Lakers went heavy on medical staff and a full 17-man roster, leaving out some coaches
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

sean wrote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten

Frank Vogel, on a video conference call today, said it was a “miserable” experience making cuts to the Lakers’ normal traveling party to meet the 36-person requirement for ORL. He said the Lakers went heavy on medical staff and a full 17-man roster, leaving out some coaches

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1278777029874221061?s=21

Link for above tweet. Thanks Sean
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

17-man Roster

And then in that same thread McTen tweeted this which I thought was interesting...

Per McTen

Same roster as the regular season, minus Bradley, plus JR and two-way contracts in Kostas Antetokounmpo and Devontae Cacok

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1278778212701462528?s=21
sean
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Which coaches aren't coming?
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Coaches can just tele-coach
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 274, 275, 276  Next
Page 6 of 276
Jump to: