The Official J.R. Smith Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe_Is_King13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Not thrilled at all with this signing. I understand it is a “ best they can do under the circumstances “ signing. But bottom line is the team just took a huge competitive hit.

Replacing Bradley (and his 24mpg) with Smith ? Not a fair trade.

Not sure what people have against JR, I know he has his own issues but almost everyone I have heard since the signing happened have all been praising JR, Jay Williams, Danny Green and Perkins have all spoken highly of JR Smith and his work ethic.

Flanking Bron and AD with KCP, Danny Green and JR provides elite spacing. Mix n Match Caruso, Kuzma, Morris, Rondo, McGee and Howard for defense, length, rebounding and playmaking. It's really not that hard to get.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Bradley was nice but is easily replaceable with more KCP/Caruso and yes, Dion minutes.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Not thrilled at all with this signing. I understand it is a “ best they can do under the circumstances “ signing. But bottom line is the team just took a huge competitive hit.

Not sure what people have against JR, I know he has his own issues but almost everyone I have heard since the signing happened have all been praising JR, Jay Williams, Danny Green and Perkins have all spoken highly of JR Smith and his work ethic.

Who knows?

JR hasn’t played in the NBA for 19 months. What shape he’s in, and how much he has in the tank, is anyone’s guess.

We know JR’s game: He’s been a good shooter who can space the floor. He’s also a bit of a knucklehead who makes a lot of silly mistakes. His defense has gotten progressively worse over the past few years, and he's one of the easiest guys in the league to run into a screen on a pick and role.

He would easily win or lose us a game in the playoffs. Or he could easily not make much of a difference at all. I'd much rather have Bradley, but it is what it is.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

It’s not a trade. One guy opted out and between bottom feeders we picked up JR

Nothing to complain here

Other then last month where his shot was falling Avery was a liability on offense
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

It’s not a trade. One guy opted out and between bottom feeders we picked up JR

Nothing to complain here

Other then last month where his shot was falling Avery was a liability on offense

You are being too literal. I was not thinking an actual “trade” Or perhaps I should have said “trade off”

Point being that the Lakers are losing a premier defender in Bradley. Even when his shot was as not falling he impacted the game in a critical area for the Lakers. That skillset is not getting filled by Green, Caruso or KCP. And definitely not by Smith!

Smith is inconsistent. With his shooting , intensity and focus. And that was when he was invested in a team for an entire season chasing rings. Who knows what they get after him taking off over a year.

Lakers are losing defensive intensity for Smiths inconsistent 3pt hot streaks. Lakers issue hasn’t been offense and I certainly am not expecting it to be in the playoffs. But slowing down opposing guards will be over potentially four series.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bradley was nice but is easily replaceable with more KCP/Caruso and yes, Dion minutes.

I mean he did drop 24 points for us in that LAC game. And he was the best PG defender on our team. Not a knock on Caruso. It's just Bradley had to guard starters. I think he fit well with what Vogel likes to do defensively.

In Orlando we should start Caruso though. See how he does against starters. Let KCP, Dion, and JR come off the bench. Whoever's hitting jumpers that night between Dion and JR gets to eat. Don't trust either guy as much as KCP on defense. So KCP's minutes should be guaranteed as opposed to the other 2.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject:

I don't know what to do with this totally washed up guy. We are losing a terrier on defense with great impact (sometimes on both ends) and replace him with an old head case that didn't play a single game for nearly 2 years

Maaaan, that's really hard
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject:

i can be optimistic about him.

But losing AB after his last performance against the clippers is tough.

And the one thing we do know? Dion was "worth more" to the team than JR and that's why he was chosen over JR a couple months ago.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:

And the one thing we do know? Dion was "worth more" to the team than JR and that's why he was chosen over JR a couple months ago.

I love AB and not having him is gonna be missed and i look forward to having him next season but, lets not get carried away. That game against the Clippers was his best game of the year. Waiters an JR can combine to give you those numbers and on certain nights, give you those same numbers individually. Defense is where we will miss him the most. But, lets not act JR is a terrible defender, hes not.

When you combine the combo of Waiters and JR and the uptick in minutes for KCP and Caruso, the Lakers will be fine.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

I love AB and not having him is gonna be missed and i look forward to having him next season but, lets not get carried away. That game against the Clippers was his best game of the year. Waiters an JR can combine to give you those numbers and on certain nights, give you those same numbers individually. Defense is where we will miss him the most. But, lets not act JR is a terrible defender, hes not.

When you combine the combo of Waiters and JR and the uptick in minutes for KCP and Caruso, the Lakers will be fine.

Yeah, I'm sorry that AB won't be there, but we have to focus on who will be there. If we're talking about the 17th man on the bench, JR Smith is as good as anyone else who was available. My concern is about the big men. If Dwight stays home, we'll need another big body. I don't know who else is out there.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject:

Lakers are losing defensive intensity for Smiths inconsistent 3pt hot streaks. Lakers issue hasn’t been offense and I certainly am not expecting it to be in the playoffs. But slowing down opposing guards will be over potentially four series.

I look at it differently than you. Bradley is gone, and he's not going back this year. Such is life.

I see JR as nothing more than an end-of-the-bench guy rather than a 1-for-1 replacement of Bradley. I don't think JR is going to get Bradley's minutes.

Heck, for all we know, the NBA won't even make it to the playoffs. I am just sitting back and watching the show with no expectations.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

Official.

Quote:
Free agent guard JR Smith has signed his contract with the Lakers, agent Rich Paul of @KlutchSports tells ESPN. Story:

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Official.

Quote:
Free agent guard JR Smith has signed his contract with the Lakers, agent Rich Paul of @KlutchSports tells ESPN. Story:

Hopefully he can hit a couple of 3s in 5-10 minutes.

The bigger key is if Caruso/KCP can cover the gap in AB impact defensive minutes. Caruso is capable of hounding his assignment full court similar to AB.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

I hope Dion has something to offer on both ends of the court...because I’m willing to bet my house that 2020 JR doesn’t.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

Anyone who thinks losing Bradley is no big deal didn't follow the team this season.

He is our best on ball defender and maybe the best in the league.

He was capable of slowing down Lou Williams which I believe to be the X factor when we match up against the clippers. Now we rely on KCP and Caruso to match up with him. Not saying they cant. But Bradley is a pest and I'm not sure to what extent those two players can replicate that.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

Welcome to the Lakers JR Smith prove the doubters wrong
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject:

The high reward signing of JR is that if he pans out we have our own version of Lou Williams a guy who can come in and give you buckets.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The high reward signing of JR is that if he pans out we have our own version of Lou Williams a guy who can come in and give you buckets.

I don’t think JR capable of this in 2020, but I love your optimism and hope that you will get to gloat about this prediction in October.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

Just checked Lou is 33 and JR is 34 there age isn’t that different and all indications is that JR has been working out like a mad man since February.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Have you ever seen Smith play? He is not capable of doing what Williams does. Williams is a scorer and playmaker. He breaks down defenses, gets 5 assists per game and doesn’t rely 3pt shooting for his 18pts a game.

Smith is a 3pt shooter with maybe an asst or two on a good night. Maybe he will get an occasional fast break dunk. He is inconsistent from 3pt range. All the cool highlights are of him hitting 4 of 5 in a scoring spurt. Unfortunately he is more likely to go 1 for 5 on most nights.

Reality is the Lakers took a huge hit to their perimeter defense. None of the mentioned players are capable of playing the high level of defense needed.

Of course they have players to fill the mpg , just not ones capable of doing the same job as competently. At critical moments when a stop is needed they are not even close.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Nah. If you are expecting JR to be Lou Williams you'll just be disappointed.

JR hasn't been that kind of guy for 4 or 5 years. It's been over two years since he scored 20 points in an NBA game.

Lou, on the other hand, averages 19 points per game.

JR is a guy we already passed over several times and picked up as a contingency under extreme circumstances. Don't make him more than he is.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
eureca wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I feel like JR will either hit a huge clutch shot or do something colossally stupid. Nothing in-between.

If he is in at clutch time then we are hurting

Well that is the negative way to look at it. You can also say if he is in at clutch time then he is probably playing pretty well and spreading the floor for AD/Bron.

Sure, if you haven’t watched him play in a couple of years.

My point is that he probably would be in at crunch time only if he was hitting shots and spreading the floor for Lebron and AD.

I don't think anybody expects him to regularly playing any serious minutes. With Kuz expected to play more minutes at the 3 after the Markieff Morris signing that just means Danny can get more minutes at the 2. With Rondo/KCP/Caruso/DG that means whoever we signed probably wasn't going to play. Then you add Cook as the next in line followed by Dion. JR would have to really impress to get minutes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Anyone who thinks losing Bradley is no big deal didn't follow the team this season.

He was capable of slowing down Lou Williams which I believe to be the X factor when we match up against the clippers. Now we rely on KCP and Caruso to match up with him. Not saying they cant. But Bradley is a pest and I'm not sure to what extent those two players can replicate that.

This is 100% true in what we lost. But we're 1-2 versus the clippers. The game we beat them wasn't about AB slowing down Lou Will. It was about AB dropping 24 points and shooting 6/12 from 3. Willing to bet that doesn't happen often where as KCP in the starting 5 is a more consistent shooter.

Also, Marcus Morris went 0-9 and 0-7 from 3, Kawhi went 2/9 from 3, and Lou Will was 3-11. So yes AB's defense on Lou will be sorely missed, but there were a lot of other factors that helped win us the game... defensively and offensively.

TBH, I don't love our match ups against the Clippers but let's roll the ball out and see what happens. It's going to a great series but let's hope we're on the winning end.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:

So.... the Lakers 13-1 record without him doesn’t matter?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Nah. If you are expecting JR to be Lou Williams you'll just be disappointed.

JR hasn't been that kind of guy for 4 or 5 years. It's been over two years since he scored 20 points in an NBA game.

Lou, on the other hand, averages 19 points per game.

JR is a guy we already passed over several times and picked up as a contingency under extreme circumstances. Don't make him more than he is.

He doesn’t have to play exactly like Lou for him to make a Impact even a slight version of Lou can make a difference for us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11
Jump to: