The Official J.R. Smith Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Will be interesting to see how the current cancel culture of intolerance and moral outrage deals with Desean, Stephen and now JR.

Why do I find myself skeptical of any serious "outrage" being expressed by mainstream or any meaningful consequences for any of them making/agreeing with racist comments.

Great job JR. Took you a whole week to screw up your opportunity of a lifetime.

I don't get the impression that many people are worked up over JR liking the video. It's a passive act, and it's gotten little attention. If anyone pressed him on it, it's pretty easy to explain a like away -- "I just liked my friend's video because he's my friend, but I didn't actually watch the whole thing" or whatever.

This is a big nothing.

JR should come out and apologize for upsetting the Jewish Laker fan base.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other what he does. He liked a video. There are more important things for me to think about.

It's a new world. You cannot ask people to respect your group's struggle, then crap on another group's struggle.

I know the "liking SJ's post that liked DSJ's post" seems a little too far removed, but that's the flip side of social media. You take the bad with the good.

At a minimum he needs to post a "no disrespect to Jewish people" apology.

Yep, if JR comes out and sincerely apologizes then all will be forgiven but I’m guessing that he won’t but I hope I’m wrong.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Will be interesting to see how the current cancel culture of intolerance and moral outrage deals with Desean, Stephen and now JR.

Why do I find myself skeptical of any serious "outrage" being expressed by mainstream or any meaningful consequences for any of them making/agreeing with racist comments.

I don't get the impression that many people are worked up over JR liking the video. It's a passive act, and it's gotten little attention. If anyone pressed him on it, it's pretty easy to explain a like away -- "I just liked my friend's video because he's my friend, but I didn't actually watch the whole thing" or whatever.

This is a big nothing.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other what he does. He liked a video. There are more important things for me to think about.

me neither.

The above reactions pretty much align with the lack of attention I have seen in the media or on the ESPN banner scroll for D. Jackson 's racist comments, let alone JR agreeing with them.

And proves my point about my expected response from most.

Would it still be considered a "passive act" or "no big deal" if just a couple weeks ago a player had "liked" Drew Brees' comments? Or a player "liked" the comments made by the part owner of the WNBA team?

Even if you are consistent with your apathy, would society in general?

JRs lack of accountability or not even being mildly criticized is no surprise. Just embarrassing IMO. It also supports my belief of his lack of character and my criticisms of signing him, either when brought up last off season or now.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

This is a big nothing.

If you "Like" a video or post or "Retweet" it, that is as good as co-signing it and agreeing with it. JR needs to be forthright with what happened and issue an apology to a community that will likely cheer for him.

Out of curiosity, would it be "a big nothing" if it were a video or post directed at a different community? Because you can't be okay with insensitivity or gross negligence (especially at a time like this) in one scenario, but not another.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Look, I'm no fan of JR Smith at all, I think he's a bonehead, but this is a clear example about how people in this country only care about the things that directly affect them. Innocent, unarmed black people have been flat out murdered here and only about 50% of the country even remotely cares. George Zimmerman holds events where he signs bags of skittles for his "fans"....yet someone likes a tweet about Jewish people and look at the outrage and backlash they receive.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Look, I'm no fan of JR Smith at all, I think he's a bonehead, but this is a clear example about how people in this country only care about the things that directly affect them. Innocent, unarmed black people have been flat out murdered here and only about 50% of the country even remotely cares. George Zimmerman holds events where he signs bags of skittles for his "fans"....yet someone likes a tweet about Jewish people and look at the outrage and backlash they receive.

Why is it an either / or opinion for you? Can ideas and opinions coincide? Can we be “outraged” by multiple acts? Apparently not in your opinion if I am understanding your comments.

The reasoning and apathy towards ignoring the racist content of “a tweet about Jewish people” is just as disturbing as your example of Zimmerman fans. Two sides of the same coin IMO.

Yet we both agree Smith is a bonehead. But a Laker. Going to be tough to root for him when or if he gets in a game.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

Why is it an either / or opinion for you? Can ideas and opinions coincide? Can we be “outraged” by multiple acts? Apparently not in your opinion if I am understanding your comments.

The reasoning and apathy towards ignoring the racist content of “a tweet about Jewish people” is just as disturbing as your example of Zimmerman fans. Two sides of the same coin IMO.

Yet we both agree Smith is a bonehead. But a Laker. Going to be tough to root for him when or if he gets in a game.

It's not an either/or opinion for me, it's an either/or opinion for most of America. I'm just holding a mirror up to this country. Personally, I don't think Stephen Jackson or JR Smith were even aware of what they hit the "like" button to. JR Smith doesn't even come across as intelligent enough to understand what Hitler was all about. Hitler hated black people just as much as Jewish people, so IMO he's just uneducated on the subject and didn't know what he was doing. This is the social media era and unfortunately it's doing more harm than good in America.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:

This is a big nothing.

me neither.

The above reactions pretty much align with the lack of attention I have seen in the media or on the ESPN banner scroll for D. Jackson 's racist comments, let alone JR agreeing with them.

Would it still be considered a "passive act" or "no big deal" if just a couple weeks ago a player had "liked" Drew Brees' comments? Or a player "liked" the comments made by the part owner of the WNBA team?

JRs lack of accountability or not even being mildly criticized is no surprise. Just embarrassing IMO. It also supports my belief of his lack of character and my criticisms of signing him, either when brought up last off season or now.

First, DeSean Jackson's post has gotten an enormous amount of attention. So I have no idea what you're talking about there.

As far as JR, he didn't like DeSean's post. He liked a post by Stephen Jackson talking about DeSean's post.

Personally, I don't read that much into an NBA player liking a video put out by another NBA player. I'll often like a friend's post on social media because he's a friend, but that doesn't mean I am reading the whole post or deeply analyzing it.

If I were a reporter, I'd ask JR why he liked the post, and then take it from there. But I would listen to his explanation before making any judgment..

So, yeah, I am not worked up by JR's like as you seem to be.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:

This is a big nothing.

me neither.

First, DeSean Jackson's post has gotten an enormous amount of attention. So I have no idea what you're talking about there.

As far as JR, he didn't like DeSean's post. He liked a post by Stephen Jackson talking about DeSean's post.

Personally, I don't read that much into an NBA player liking a video put out by another NBA player. I'll often like a friend's post on social media because he's a friend, but that doesn't mean I am reading the whole post or deeply analyzing it.

If I were a reporter, I'd ask JR why he liked the post, and then take it from there. But I would listen to his explanation before making any judgment..

That is fine. We all make of it what we will.

As I stated, Smith just fulfilled my expectations for him.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:

This is a big nothing.

me neither.

Way too much thinking
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:

This is a big nothing.

me neither.

Yeah, I get the impression you were ready to gavel him guilty without the bother of a trial.

Anyway, I think this is a non-matter that is already over.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
kwase wrote:

It's not an either/or opinion for me, it's an either/or opinion for most of America. I'm just holding a mirror up to this country. Personally, I don't think Stephen Jackson or JR Smith were even aware of what they hit the "like" button to. JR Smith doesn't even come across as intelligent enough to understand what Hitler was all about. Hitler hated black people just as much as Jewish people, so IMO he's just uneducated on the subject and didn't know what he was doing. This is the social media era and unfortunately it's doing more harm than good in America.

In an Instagram live video when called out for liking the tweet Jackson asked the person does he know for a fact that the Jews are not trying to divide the black community. Then goes on to explain the that Jews are the richest and own all the banks. He understands plenty.

“The Jews are the richest. You know who the Rothschilds are? … They control all the banks. They own all the banks.”

“I haven’t said one thing that’s untrue yet"

WaPo

@FredKatz
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/10/j-r-smith-instagram-lakers-nba-bubble-exposing-video/

Why did he sign with the Lakers if he complains so much about the Orland bubble? Nobody forced him to sign with the Lakers
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

This signing remains a big head-scratcher for me even before considering his off court antics. We already have a glut of guards where some have been held back from getting consistent minutes. The last thing we need is to also throw JR in the mix.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
This signing remains a big head-scratcher for me even before considering his off court antics. We already have a glut of guards where some have been held back from getting consistent minutes. The last thing we need is to also throw JR in the mix.

I doubt that he is in any mix or sees much playing time, if any. We are screwed if he does.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

Release him. He is nothing but a distraction.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:

This is a big nothing.

me neither.

Yeah, I get the impression you were ready to gavel him guilty without the bother of a trial.

Anyway, I think this is a non-matter that is already over.

Still trying to understand your reasoning with this comment. In a weird way kind of fascinating, in fact. Please correct me if I am misinterpreting your statement....

You seem to be criticizing me making a "pre- judgement" of Smith after I read or listened to both Jackson's offensive racist comments (which apparently K. Durant also "liked") and then Smith's agreeing with the racist statements and a half assed apology that followed. I also took into account his long history of knucklehead behavior and decisions as he made his over a decade long journey through the NBA with DEN, NY, CLE and now the Lakers

Basically doing my homework on the facts before making a statement. I would also like to add I fully disclosed my dislike for the Smith signing and any apparent bias.

Yet you seem to be defending or dismissing Smith's agreeing with offensive racist statements as not a big deal because he "might" have been following your practice of "liking " a friend's post without "reading the whole post or deeply analyzing it". Even though the content of S. Jackson's comments were right in the title, not a lot of deep research was needed.

Stick by my original opinions. Smith is an idiot and has a long track record of being one. Continues to be a distraction without even playing a min so far. I am disappointed he will be wearing a Laker jersey, even if at the end of the bench as some keep stating.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I doubt that he is in any mix or sees much playing time, if any. We are screwed if he does.

then thats just as bad. You dont want a player like JR sulking on the bench about not playing
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

For whatever reason, wherever lebron goes a circus show ensues. Two more years and it'll be over.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

For whatever reason, wherever lebron goes a circus show ensues. Two more years and it'll be over.

So I guess you preferred the days when our W-L record was a joke? And one end of the bench player on IG Live who we JUST signed doesn't equate to a circus show. Painting the entire season as such is just dishonest, when we've been the #1 seed in the West for the vast majority of it and have had minimal drama, if any.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

then thats just as bad. You dont want a player like JR sulking on the bench about not playing

I wouldn’t want a player like JR period but the Lakers sold their soul to Klutch.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
activeverb wrote:

This is a big nothing.

If you "Like" a video or post or "Retweet" it, that is as good as co-signing it and agreeing with it. JR needs to be forthright with what happened and issue an apology to a community that will likely cheer for him.

Out of curiosity, would it be "a big nothing" if it were a video or post directed at a different community? Because you can't be okay with insensitivity or gross negligence (especially at a time like this) in one scenario, but not another.

Israel supported apartheid in Africa so JR doesn't owe anyone an apology
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
kwase wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

So I guess you preferred the days when our W-L record was a joke? And one end of the bench player on IG Live who we JUST signed doesn't equate to a circus show. Painting the entire season as such is just dishonest, when we've been the #1 seed in the West for the vast majority of it and have had minimal drama, if any.

We were on the right path. I prefer players grow with us as fans and with the team. You have a stronger bond with them that way. But we traded everybody away for a 4 year rental. If it doesn't work out we are royally screwed, and although this shortened season was quiet, last season was Ringling Bros & Barnum & Bailey starring lebron james. Another thing we better hope for is that lebron doesn't take AD with him when he leaves.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
kwase wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

We were on the right path. I prefer players grow with us as fans and with the team. You have a stronger bond with them that way. But we traded everybody away for a 4 year rental. If it doesn't work out we are royally screwed, and although this shortened season was quiet, last season was Ringling Bros & Barnum & Bailey starring lebron james. Another thing we better hope for is that lebron doesn't take AD with him when he leaves.

“ 4 year rental”? IMO that was always optimistic. This year is his best chance to win a ring. And dwindling with the losses of Bradley and now Rondo.

The risk with James has always been the must win in a short window reality. Last year was marred by his ambivalence towards the roster and then the injury. This season James has been committed to the new roster and pretty damn phenomenal at times. The Lakers need to win now. Because we have no clue what to expect next season.

Who knows if James can maintain this level of commitment or performance for another season. Who knows how they fill out the roster next year? Will there be any depth or do old players continue to decline? Can the FO find additional roster help with the limited assets and cap they have? Going to be interesting to see.

As for Davis, who knows how he sees the future of the Lakers’ roster? Continue to be competitive or in decline? Is he signing on for multiple years if this season is the potential peak? Why would he?

Lakers need to win it all this year because there is too much uncertainty they get back to this place anytime soon. And the alternatives of not winning and losing both James (retirement) and Davis ( Free agency) is too sickening to think of at the moment. Just win now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject:

The problem is that there is nothing to win this year, the season ended prematurely and the NBA is making one last money grab. I hope it ends well with no serious injuries but winning a two month tournament isn’t the same as winning a season title.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject:

Whose minutes is JR going to steal?

He is def not going to be glued to the bench. He adds what we have lacked all season long, with his addition we now have KCP, Green and JR to shoot the rock.

Dion will play due to his play making and shot creation... caruso always brings it... will it be kuzma? Or morris sliding kuz to PF?

I’m glad he is with us. I can see him getting really hot with all the attention ad and bron get.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: