Trade Idea: LAL - CHA - MEM

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Trade Idea: LAL - CHA - MEM

Charlotte has said they wanted to facilitate a major trade (in context of the AI trade anyway), Memphis wants youth, cap space and high draft picks in exchange for Pau Gasol, and the Lakers need to upgrade defensively at SF and need a consistent, veteran PG. (IMO).

If Chicago doesn't give up what Jerry West wants, perhaps this could be the next best thing.

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Kwame Brown
Luke Walton
Shammond Williams
Smush Parker

Incoming
Gerald Wallace
Brevin Knight
Primoz Brezec
Othella Harrington

Memphis Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Pau Gasol

Incoming
Kwame Brown
Shamond Williams
Matt Carroll
1st Round Pick (Memphis - via Toronto)

Charlotte Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Gerald Wallace
Brevin Knight
Primoz Brezec
Othella Harrington
Matt Carroll
1st Round Pick (from Toronto)

Incoming
Luke Walton
Smush Parker
Pau Gasol

The Bobcats appear to lose alot, i.e. Wallace, Carroll and Toronto's 1st rounder, but I think acquiring Gasol, Walton and Smush should fill those roles and they are still going to have their own 1st draft pick.

The Grizzlies exchange Gasol for a servicable center, cap space, a solid young SG and Toronto's 1st Round pick.

Lakers upgrade big time at SF with Wallace and Brevan Knight could be a solid PG in the Tri. Plus, they acqire two backup bigs for the price of one.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers upgrade big time at SF with Wallace and Brevan Knight could be a solid PG in the Tri. Plus, they acqire two backup bigs for the price of one.

That makes no sense for the Lakers to even do that. Brevin is a midget and he's injury prone. You go from 6'4 ironman to a 5'10 IL-All-Star/Anti-triangle PG. Nope, not happenin'. And the Lakers don't need a swingman anyway, especially a non-triangle swingman like G-Wall. G-Wall needs an offense like the Suns to excel, the triangle would hinder him greatly.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Memphis will want more than that I think, but creative thinking!
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject:

Any of the teams would do it I think.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

That makes no sense for the Lakers to even do that. Brevin is a midget and he's injury prone. You go from 6'4 ironman to a 5'10 IL-All-Star/Anti-triangle PG. Nope, not happenin'. And the Lakers don't need a swingman anyway, especially a non-triangle swingman like G-Wall. G-Wall needs an offense like the Suns to excel, the triangle would hinder him greatly.

If this trade were done in the offseason, as any Laker trade will most likely be done, Wallace and Knight would be able to practice in the tri.

Just because a player plays a certain way on one team doesn't nececcarily mean he can ONLY play that way. Gerald Wallace is having a good year in Charlotte. They are not a run-and-gun team by any means. Also, it's his defense that is the upgrade from Walton. I"m not concerned with offense too much, and the easy layups off cuts the Walton scores the majority of his points off of, can easily be filled with ally-oops to G. Wallace.

Brevin Knight is known to be injured, but when healthy he is a complete upgrade from Smush Parker. Plus with Farmar coming up, we would just need Knight to split minutes with him.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

If this trade were done in the offseason, as any Laker trade will most likely be done, Wallace and Knight would be able to practice in the tri.

Just because a player plays a certain way on one team doesn't nececcarily mean he can ONLY play that way. Gerald Wallace is having a good year in Charlotte. They are not a run-and-gun team by any means. Also, it's his defense that is the upgrade from Walton. I"m not concerned with offense too much, and the easy layups off cuts the Walton scores the majority of his points off of, can easily be filled with ally-oops to G. Wallace.

Brevin Knight is known to be injured, but when healthy he is a complete upgrade from Smush Parker. Plus with Farmar coming up, we would just need Knight to split minutes with him.

The misnomer is thinking that EVERY player can be a good fit in the triangle and that's not the case. Wallace wouldn't be a good fit. You don't get a guy with his talents ONLY to utilize ONE of his talents. He won't like it either and could become a distraction. Wallace would not be a good triangle player.

And Brevin is even a waste of time even be explaining on. I'd take Smush everyday and twice on Sunday over Brevin.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

The misnomer is thinking that EVERY player can be a good fit in the triangle and that's not the case. Wallace wouldn't be a good fit. You don't get a guy with his talents ONLY to utilize ONE of his talents. He won't like it either and could become a distraction. Wallace would not be a good triangle player.

And Brevin is even a waste of time even be explaining on. I'd take Smush everyday and twice on Sunday over Brevin.

I actually didn't propose that G. Wallace wouldn't be used on offense at all. I pointed out that the points Luke Walton gets in the triangle could easily, if not more easily, be made by G. Wallace. Luke shoots about 9 FGA a game in the tri. Wallace currently shoots 11 FGA a game. No reason to believe he wouldn't be able to average the same in the triangle. Its not like Luke is a perimeter threat in our offense. He effective in the post or when he cuts to the basket. G. Wallace would be the same. Kobe Bryant is a great defender. Me saying that doesn't mean we should ONLY use him for this reason.

Brevin Knight is hardly a waste of time and any coach, GM or anyone who knows anything would choose him over Smush Parker as their PG. Being an iron-man and taller isn't exactly the best way to judge a player. With that logic I guess you'd have A.C. Green over Charles Barkley.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Wallace wouldn't be used on offense at all

How much sense does that make? None.

Quote:
Brevin Knight is hardly a waste of time and any coach, GM or anyone who knows anything would choose him over Smush Parker as their PG. Being an iron-man and taller isn't exactly the best way to judge a player. With that logic I guess you'd have A.C. Green over Charles Barkley.

So you're trying to say that Brevin is gonna be a HOFer? Please don't compare HOFers with scrubs, that makes you look bad, bro.

Also, you didn't touch on Brevin being injury prone and Smush not. How good is a guy if he can't even get off the IL and play for you? See my point now?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:
Wallace wouldn't be used on offense at all

How much sense does that make? None.

Not much when you tak it out of context. Here's what I actually wrote.

Quote:
I actually didn't propose that G. Wallace wouldn't be used on offense at all. I pointed out that the points Luke Walton gets in the triangle could easily, if not more easily, be made by G. Wallace.

So you see, if you read things you will get the whole picture, bro.

Quote:
So you're trying to say that Brevin is gonna be a HOFer? Please don't compare HOFers with scrubs, that makes you look bad, bro.

Also, you didn't touch on Brevin being injury prone and Smush not. How good is a guy if he can't even get off the IL and play for you? See my point now?

No, I never said anything about Brevin Knight being close to a HOFr. I just said that anyone who knows anything about NBA basketball knows Brevin Knight is a better PG than Smush Parker. You don't have to exagerate it.

Your point is Brevin is oft injured and Smush is not. I hear you. At the end of this season do you think the Lakers are going to sign Smush Parker? Will they use the MLE on him or Luke? Smush is complaining about money. There is no guarantee that Smush Parker will be a Laker at seasons end and there is no guarantee that Brevin Knight will always be injured.

Again, about injuries. Carlos Boozer is oft-injured. Is he not worth having on a team? Lamar Odom missed 21 games thus far, two years ago he sat out nearly 20 games and in the '02-'03 season he missed nearly half the season! How can he possibly be good for the Lakers?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Brevin Knight is a btter PG than Smush.

But...

The triangle doesnt use regular PGs

Smush is a better tri PG than BK.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Not much when you tak it out of context. Here's what I actually wrote.

Quote:
I actually didn't propose that G. Wallace wouldn't be used on offense at all. I pointed out that the points Luke Walton gets in the triangle could easily, if not more easily, be made by G. Wallace.

Ah! I see, the "period" after "G" was abbreviating his first name. My bad, bro. That one was on me then. But, he still wouldn't be a good fit in the triangle.

Quote:
No, I never said anything about Brevin Knight being close to a HOFr. I just said that anyone who knows anything about NBA basketball knows Brevin Knight is a better PG than Smush Parker. You don't have to exagerate it.

Ok, but when you start bringing up HOFer while we're discussing 2 players that will never even SNIFF the Hall, I have to address that and say that's a bad example to use.

Brevin is a better traditional PG but it's the triangle...it doesn't utilize the traditional PG. Oh, and Brevin is injury prone. I've said that at least 337 times in this thread. He'd be a waste.

Quote:
Your point is Brevin is oft injured and Smush is not. I hear you. At the end of this season do you think the Lakers are going to sign Smush Parker? Will they use the MLE on him or Luke? Smush is complaining about money. There is no guarantee that Smush Parker will be a Laker at seasons end and there is no guarantee that Brevin Knight will always be injured.

Losing Smush would be no big worry for the Lakers, trust me on that. Signing Brevin would be a waste unless Phil doesn't re-up after next year and they go back to a traditional offense. Either case, why have 2 short PGs in Farmar and Brevin? Makes no sense. Plus, Brevin IS always hurt.

Quote:
Again, about injuries. Carlos Boozer is oft-injured. Is he not worth having on a team? Lamar Odom missed 21 games thus far, two years ago he sat out nearly 20 games and in the '02-'03 season he missed nearly half the season! How can he possibly be good for the Lakers?

Boozer's also a big man that produces and is more vital to his team than a injury-prone Brevin Knight. When Boozer came back, he balled and the team did well. When Brevin returns, it's the ole "If a tree falls in the forest..." Get my point?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Boozer's also a big man that produces and is more vital to his team than a injury-prone Brevin Knight. When Boozer came back, he balled and the team did well. When Brevin returns, it's the ole "If a tree falls in the forest..." Get my point?

Well he does average 11 points and 7 assists when healthy. That's seems pretty productive to me. And if you consider Smush Parker is a good fit for the triangle, then we need not look anywhere for his replacement. The fact that Knight is fundamentally sound or "traditional" as you say, implies he would be a good fit, even at his height.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Well he does average 11 points and 7 assists when healthy. That's seems pretty productive to me. And if you consider Smush Parker is a good fit for the triangle, then we need not look anywhere for his replacement. The fact that Knight is fundamentally sound or "traditional" as you say, implies he would be a good fit, even at his height.

7 dimes in a system not named the triangle. People better stop thinking those PGs assists numbers will carry over into the triangle because they're gonna be disappointed when those assist numbers drop.

And when did I say we shouldn't look for a replacement? I just said Brevin isn't an improvement at triangle PG for a myriad of reasons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: