Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject:

I cant agree with playing him over Waiters at all, I think Dion will be a huge spark off the bench for several big games and is right in his prime. The way JR is hustling and looking to pass is keeping him ahead pretty easily as well with the massive amount of experience he has.

Saying that, before the restart him and waiters were the two I was most excited to watch. THT is still clearly very raw but these Playoffs will be a huge stepping stone for him even if he doesn't play much and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him etch himself into the rotation next season.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject:

You're literally smoking crack if you think THT is anywhere close to having an impact that's semi comparable to Waiters right now.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject:

In reality, THT is not ready for prime time, the kid lacks NBA experience and maturity. He'd get eaten alive but his time will come.
But for now, there is no doubt that Waiters & JR are much better at this point.

IMO one of the two (Waiters, JR), or both, could become a factor at some point in the play-offs.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
He has the 3rd best vision on the team behind Lebron and Rondo.

It is crazy to say, but I'd rather play him over JR Smith and potentially Waiters.

Let's not get too carried away.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
He has the 3rd best vision on the team behind Lebron and Rondo.

It is crazy to say, but I'd rather play him over JR Smith and potentially Waiters.

Let's not get too carried away.

we do this to every player we draft. sigh
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Dude is going to be a star. He seems to have an uncanny knack to score in traffic. His handle is terrific. Does anybody know why his free throw rate has been so low this far in his college and young GLeague career? He's already improving his shot too, which will pay huge dividends.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Dude is going to be a star. He seems to have an uncanny knack to score in traffic. His handle is terrific. Does anybody know why his free throw rate has been so low this far in his college and young GLeague career? He's already improving his shot too, which will pay huge dividends.

I've been a huge fan - he was a clear top-20 pick to me in last year's draft - but "star" is going to be an unlikely outcome without better shooting from just about everywhere and without getting to the line a lot more, as you note. My only hypotheses about his low FTr is 1) his weight has maybe hindered him somehow and/or 2) his twisty, long-armed layups are super cool and limit the contact he takes.

With the four month suspension of the season and the pandemic turning time into a pure abstraction I forgot that THT is still a rookie and still only 19 years old. Time is on his side if he puts in the work and has some luck.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

He's got a lot of shake to get around guys. Next part is getting guys off balance to initiate contact.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:

I've been a huge fan - he was a clear top-20 pick to me in last year's draft - but "star" is going to be an unlikely outcome without better shooting from just about everywhere and without getting to the line a lot more, as you note. My only hypotheses about his low FTr is 1) his weight has maybe hindered him somehow and/or 2) his twisty, long-armed layups are super cool and limit the contact he takes.

With the four month suspension of the season and the pandemic turning time into a pure abstraction I forgot that THT is still a rookie and still only 19 years old. Time is on his side if he puts in the work and has some luck.

I think he's clearly on a different plane than the Wagner/Bonga/GPII crop of G League/fringe roster guys we had last year (although Mo had a really nice year). His skill level is pretty impressive for a 19 year old, and I think the main things he's missing are the "tricks of the trade" and IQ stuff that comes with more experience.

I will definitely be upset if he ends up as a throw in trade piece this summer like those other guys did. I'd put good money on him being a top 8 rotation player 2 years from now, which given our cap situation would be huge for us.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
scoobs wrote:

I think he's clearly on a different plane than the Wagner/Bonga/GPII crop of G League/fringe roster guys we had last year (although Mo had a really nice year). His skill level is pretty impressive for a 19 year old, and I think the main things he's missing are the "tricks of the trade" and IQ stuff that comes with more experience.

I will definitely be upset if he ends up as a throw in trade piece this summer like those other guys did. I'd put good money on him being a top 8 rotation player 2 years from now, which given our cap situation would be huge for us.
Agreed, THT is a keeper, young but nice upside.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject:

Great upside, looks like he has a head over his shoulders. Keep him. Develop him. But don't play him in Orlando over established veterans, he's not ready.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject:

THT has a ton of upside, but you can look at him and tell he's a rookie. When you look at his highlights, he looks like a super star in the making however, a lot of the time he goes to the bucket and misses those shots; the key being other players are open.

If he becomes more 'Assist' minded, then he will be 'DANGEROUS'. For some reason I think he has the potential to be a mixture between Mark Jackson and Charles Barkley.

I'm not saying he'll be the player Charles was, but he reminds me of him from a physical standpoint and he's just 'Naturally Strong', he has decent PG skills and will be a good player down the road.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
THT has a ton of upside, but you can look at him and tell he's a rookie. When you look at his highlights, he looks like a super star in the making however, a lot of the time he goes to the bucket and misses those shots; the key being other players are open.

He shot 70% at the rim in college. I wouldn't kick out either.

Quote:
If he becomes more 'Assist' minded, then he will be 'DANGEROUS'. For some reason I think he has the potential to be a mixture between Mark Jackson and Charles Barkley.

He's already done A LOT of playmaking for South Bay. He's already assist minded. The difference is the teammate being able to make shots.

He's not a PG.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"He's making a case for being in the rotation" - Frank Vogel on THT

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1291588686086156288?s=21

Good thinking coach. Kid has the talent to help.
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Had some good moments tonight, very encouraging. If he learns to effectively kick out when he gets caught in the paint, he'll be real trouble.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject:

poppies wrote:
Had some good moments tonight, very encouraging. If he learns to effectively kick out when he gets caught in the paint, he'll be real trouble.

Agreed, but our shooters weren’t in position behind the 3 point line for the bail out pass, thus the turnovers. Howard also had too many offensive position fouls when THT was getting his rhythm in offense bringing the ball up and JR Smith didn’t play within the offense. THT could be our Ariza like spark(both were limited early in their Laker tenure by foot stress fractures)
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
"He's making a case for being in the rotation" - Frank Vogel on THT

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1291588686086156288?s=21

Good thinking coach. Kid has the talent to help.

Out of all the prospects we have Torton Tucker definitely has the most talent to help us right now, he has a very bright future.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Tht for giannis?

🤔🤣
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject:

His ball handle reminds me a lot of kyrie.. not in the fancy way but he pretty much gets where ever he wants on the floor.. even his finishes are well polished
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
His ball handle reminds me a lot of kyrie.. not in the fancy way but he pretty much gets where ever he wants on the floor.. even his finishes are well polished

Kyrie's handle is GOAT level and definitely fancy....

This is where fans get excited, for good reason, but then we overvalue who we have and when they don't live up, it feels like a failure.

What I will say, is his handle was nice for a 19 year. His length on D is elite and he's crafty around the rim.

He also did miss quite a few passes tonight. But all in all, it was a nice coming out party for someone maybe only 10% of Laker fans knew existed.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject:

Would love for THT to get some run with Lebron. Opposing players underestimate his wingspan and he disrupts passing lanes (thus his 4 steals in 19 minutes tonight). He made a gassed Harden look his age those last 4 minutes of the fourth (in transition and off the dribble). He already has Klutch in his corner. Sky’s the limit.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject:

I like what I see from THT. The potential is there.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject:

Bring Lebron off the bench.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:

Kyrie's handle is GOAT level and definitely fancy....

This is where fans get excited, for good reason, but then we overvalue who we have and when they don't live up, it feels like a failure.

What I will say, is his handle was nice for a 19 year. His length on D is elite and he's crafty around the rim.

He also did miss quite a few passes tonight. But all in all, it was a nice coming out party for someone maybe only 10% of Laker fans knew existed.

Can't overrate a basic change of direction with a long wingspan and footwork/hesitation for a step back too much.

Kyrie has the entire bag. Spin, footwork, hesi, multiple crossovers on the same drive, multiple crossover types.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:

Look at how much he changed his body in 4 months, even a full season.

He's 19.

He may not be a superstar but he can certainly be a rotation player, possibly starter in the future. As a pick in the 40s, that's a great return. He has a lot of promise.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 46 of 202
Jump to: