Will Dwight shoot 90% FT with no fans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
ok i hate to say you guys saying some of this dont play ball, but it sounds like it, but whatever...not trying to provoke you.....

The idea that you can be like 90% ft in practice or non game situations, and 50-60 in real game situations is not supported. go find a single person like this.

Here's a few. From lakers practice in 2013.

Howard: 88% in practice (on 700 attempts); 49.5% in game (on 430).
Sacre: 90% in practice (on 1494 attempts); 63.6% in game (on 11, but he was 67% in his career on 255 attempts).
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
ok i hate to say you guys saying some of this dont play ball, but it sounds like it, but whatever...not trying to provoke you.....

The idea that you can be like 90% ft in practice or non game situations, and 50-60 in real game situations is not supported. go find a single person like this.

Here's a few. From lakers practice in 2013.

Howard: 88% in practice (on 700 attempts); 49.5% in game (on 430).
Sacre: 90% in practice (on 1494 attempts); 63.6% in game (on 11, but he was 67% in his career on 255 attempts).

well, firstly, from a ft practicing standpoint, that is not a lot of fts. but i'll concede that point.
Also, anyone, especially an NBA baller, can put together a good stretch. Just like anyone can have a nice highlight reel hitting like 10 threes.

So, you can get video of you practicing and shooting well. But so what? this is like those carmelo videos showing him hitting like 10 threes and claiming that hey I'm back in my prime....

so, again, you guys here are usually trying to win arguments, and you are good at winning arguments. but just try to understand my point....

if a guy hits 90% in practice and 60% in the game? what is going on? it''s still lack of practice. maybe they can hit 90% with nobody watching, no pressure, theyre not even that tired....vs a game with lots of pressure, tired, have other responsibilities. now, people will say it's "mental". But it's all mental! it's mental for everyone. thats why you practice!

so anyway, you made a good point....but i don't think it addresses the heart of the matter. And i don't know what your point is if this numerical evidence "wins" the case for you. THat there is some magical thing that happens where a great ft shooter sucks when the lights are on? what is happening there? they are so scared and intimated? these professional athletes that have been doing this for many years? just doesn't make any sense.

1000 fts is like a good 1-week stretch. a player (especially an NBA player), can just focus on this and do it, almost all of them. Especially if they just want the number recorded for posterity.

A diligent player will probably practice 100+ fts a day. The guys like Curry, Ray allen, etc...i wouldn't be surprised if they do way more.

also, not saying they are lying, but is there a video? i can 2/3 on 100 different occasions, put the makes together and say i hit 66/70 or something. Video can be deceptive.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

so anyway, you made a good point....but i don't think it addresses the heart of the matter. And i don't know what your point is if this numerical evidence "wins" the case for you. THat there is some magical thing that happens where a great ft shooter sucks when the lights are on? what is happening there? they are so scared and intimated? these professional athletes that have been doing this for many years? just doesn't make any sense.

That is the heart of the matter. Shooting coaches and basketball people have all sorts of theories about why some players shoot free throws well and some shoot them poorly. There have been studies that showed that bad free throwers tend to have all sorts of different issues with their techniques. No one has found a practice technique that seems to work for a significantly number of players.

My guess is this: Any player can probably improve with a lot of practice, but it has to be the right kind of practice for him. A practice technique that works for player X might not work for player Y. And finding the right practice approach for a specific player is really, really hard.

If it were as simple as, "If you shoot 1,000 free throws a day, you'll become a 90% shooter," then everyone in the NBA would be a 90% shooter.

That's just my guess. There is so little hard data on this topic that no one has any evidence to support their believes except maybe a couple of cherrypicked anecdotes. If anyone REALLY knew the answer, they could make millions of bucks pretty easily.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

That is the heart of the matter. Shooting coaches and basketball people have all sorts of theories about why some players shoot free throws well and some shoot them poorly. There have been studies that showed that bad free throwers tend to have all sorts of different issues with their techniques. No one has found a practice technique that seems to work for a significantly number of players.

My guess is this: Any player can probably improve with a lot of practice, but it has to be the right kind of practice for him. A practice technique that works for player X might not work for player Y. And finding the right practice approach for a specific player is really, really hard.

If it were as simple as, "If you shoot 1,000 free throws a day, you'll become a 90% shooter," then everyone in the NBA would be a 90% shooter.

That's just my guess. There is so little hard data on this topic that no one has any evidence to support their believes except maybe a couple of cherrypicked anecdotes. If anyone REALLY knew the answer, they could make millions of bucks pretty easily.

i don't think there is a lot of scientific data on free throw making.
But all your points here are valid.

I've seen all sorts of different techniques and styles result in great ft shooting. one thing i have NEVER seen is a good ft shooter who doesn't practice a LOT.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

if you guys have seen it's always sunny in philadelphia....

this thread reminds me of when Dee is doing the flip cup....and she can get 10/10 in her practice, but during the real thing she can't even do 1.

Totally fiction LOLLLLL. hilarious though. This is how I hear people describe Shaq and Dwight and all these other awful ft shooters.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

i don't think there is a lot of scientific data on free throw making.
But all your points here are valid.

I've seen all sorts of different techniques and styles result in great ft shooting. one thing i have NEVER seen is a good ft shooter who doesn't practice a LOT.

Good points.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: