If we win, who gets rings?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: If we win, who gets rings?

Assuming we win the championship this year, does Avery Bradley get a ring? If Rondo doesn't make it back, does he get one?

I know Phil Jackson did not get one as a member of the 1969-70 Knicks because he missed the season with an injury.

J.R. Rider did get one with the 00-01 Lakers, even though he was left off the playoff roster.

I'm not sure about Spencer Haywood, who was suspended for the 1979-80 playoffs.

Last edited by Dr. Laker on Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject:

It's up to the team to decide which I bet everything that they would give rings to Avery and Rondo.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject:

nowadays EVERYONE gets rings. go and see all the different types of personnel getting rings.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject:

Hell, give one to Troy Daniels and DeMarcus Cousins.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject:

Does Byron Scott get one for his service as tank commander, which enabled us to get the trade assets for AD?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

Elgin Baylor got a ring, even though he retired 9 games into the title season.

Yes I think Rondo and Bradley would, and should, get rings if the Lakers win the title this year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: If we win, who gets rings?

Dr. Laker wrote:
Assuming we win the championship this year, does Avery Bradley get a ring? If Rondo doesn't make it back, does he get one?

I know Phil Jackson did not get one as a member of the 1969-70 Knicks because he missed the season with an injury.

J.R. Rider did get one with the 00-01 Lakers, even though he was left off the playoff roster.

There are no rules about teams can give championship rings to. Heck, teams aren't even required to give out rings to anyone. It is a tradition, and a team can give out rings to anyone they want -- players, injured players, traded players, coaches, office staff, the landscaping crew, you name it. It's 100% up to the team owner.

If the Lakers win, I am sure they would give a ring to Rondo and Avery.

However, whether or not they officially "won" a ring is in the eye of the beholder. For example, basketball reference uses the criteria that a player must appear in at least one playoff game for a championship to be credited as a ring winner.

Elgin Baylor is another case. Baylor retired 9 games into the 1972 championship season. The Lakers gave him a ring, but he is typically included in the list of stars who never won a ring.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: If we win, who gets rings?

activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

There are no rules about teams can give championship rings to. Heck, teams aren't even required to give out rings to anyone. It is a tradition, and a team can give out rings to anyone they want -- players, injured players, traded players, coaches, office staff, the landscaping crew, you name it. It's 100% up to the team owner.

However, whether or not they officially "won" a ring is in the eye of the beholder. For example, basketball reference uses the criteria that a player must appear in at least one playoff game for a championship to be credited as a ring winner.

Elgin Baylor is another case. Baylor retired 9 games into the 1972 championship season. The Lakers gave him a ring, but he is typically included in the list of stars who never won a ring.

J.R. Rider didn't play in the 00-01 playoffs, but basketball reference credits him with a title. I guess that's a better point, though - would YOU credit Bradley or Rondo with a title if neither plays in the bubble, even though they contributed to the regular season?
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Way ahead of ourselves here. Rings/money for rings should all instead be donated to NBA drs and medical personnel helping the league stay corona free and/or to a social cause like BLM.

Generally speaking, I like BBall reference's criteria though I do think it's stricter than necessary in that they should include ring winners as those that also were key regular season contributors who were injured by playoff time. How to define key regular season contributors - suggest a minutes minimum of certain percentage of the season (10%?).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Rings with Mickey Mouse ears seems appropriate
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: If we win, who gets rings?

Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

J.R. Rider didn't play in the 00-01 playoffs, but basketball reference credits him with a title. I guess that's a better point, though - would YOU credit Bradley or Rondo with a title if neither plays in the bubble, even though they contributed to the regular season?

It might have been someone else then.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Rings/money for rings should all instead be donated to NBA drs and medical personnel helping the league stay corona free and/or to a social cause like BLM.

Nah. Players should get rings. That doesn't stop them or teams from making donations or spending on medical stuff
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Vlad Rad didn't get a ring even though he contributed to half our season of winning games to get us in a position for a playoff push and eventual title over Orlando so there ya go.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Vlad Rad didn't get a ring even though he contributed to half our season of winning games to get us in a position for a playoff push and eventual title over Orlando so there ya go.

I don’t think Radmanovic was the reason why we won 65 games that year...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:

I don’t think Radmanovic was the reason why we won 65 games that year...

Vlade was a decent rotation player who was traded mid season. Sometimes teams offer guys like that a ring, sometimes they don't. Often those guys don't want the ring. Whether the Lakers offered him a ring, I have no idea.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

Adam Silver, Elgin Baylor, MozDeng, Anderson Varejoa, Anthony Kiedis, and maybe LeBron James (team has to vote). 😝
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

Rich Paul deserves one
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Adam Silver, Elgin Baylor, MozDeng, Anderson Varejoa, Anthony Kiedis, and maybe LeBron James (team has to vote). 😝

The team doesn't vote on rings. The ownership gives out rings to anyone they want.

Traditionally, the players vote on whether to give a share of the playoff money to former teammates, trainers, etc. That part is up to the players because there is one pie of money and any percentages they give out come from their pocket, so they might give a trainer a 1/8th share or something.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: