NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject:

MLB showing that the only chance we have of keeping a season going is the Bubble. I hope it works....
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
MLB showing that the only chance we have of keeping a season going is the Bubble. I hope it works....

So far it's looking promising. If the nba pulls it off with zero positives in the bubble season, Adam Silvers reputation will be off the charts with the media.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

That seems to be the case. I'm really starting to think the MLB season gets cancelled sooner or later. Not that this is likely to happen, but if there's a national lock-down or a stay at home order in Florida, does that burst the bubble?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

So far it's looking promising. If the nba pulls it off with zero positives in the bubble season, Adam Silvers reputation will be off the charts with the media.

Good news with the NHL as well, over 4000 tests and 0 positive
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject:

I don’t see MLB finishing the season. Too much risk in movement from one city to the next.

If they do finish, it may be some team’s AAA roster that wins.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I don’t see MLB finishing the season. Too much risk in movement from one city to the next.

MLB has some sort of social distancing built into the game.....so if they can't finish the season this isn't good news for the NBA where there is no social distancing when they are playing....all you need is a couple of players to get infected and the bubble is burst.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

MLB has some sort of social distancing built into the game.....so if they can't finish the season this isn't good news for the NBA where there is no social distancing when they are playing....all you need is a couple of players to get infected and the bubble is burst.

I disagree. The NBA testing protocols are extremely rigorous and risk is mitigated being located at one site. Even MLS is doing just fine in Orlando.

The travel from city to city is what’s going to be the downfall for MLB.

NBA, NHL and MLS all did it correctly.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

How about the NFL, 22 guys hugging each other then going who knows where after...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
How about the NFL, 22 guys hugging each other then going who knows where after...

Realistically, I don't see a football season for 2020, pro or college....just too much risk.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

In a bubble, it could work. Traveling will cause same issues as MLB. Although traveling just once per week may make it less risky than MLB, but still don’t see any sports traveling business as usual surviving duration of respective seasons.

Logistically it’s going to be tough to have all 32 football teams on one campus. Too many players, coaches and trainers involved.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

So which drugmaker is having the best trial results thus far?
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:

cal1piggy? You are usually the voice I trust here in regards to the trials specifically...
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
defense wrote:

In a bubble, it could work. Traveling will cause same issues as MLB. Although traveling just once per week may make it less risky than MLB, but still don’t see any sports traveling business as usual surviving duration of respective seasons.

Logistically it’s going to be tough to have all 32 football teams on one campus. Too many players, coaches and trainers involved.

Great post and I agree on all your takes.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
defense wrote:

Maybe the NFL would do well to create two bubbles (an AFC bubble and an NFC bubble). That way, the misery can be spread out equally instead of settling under one roof.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I disagree. The NBA testing protocols are extremely rigorous and risk is mitigated being located at one site. Even MLS is doing just fine in Orlando.

The travel from city to city is what’s going to be the downfall for MLB.

NBA, NHL and MLS all did it correctly.

Right. In other countries the "bubble" extends to their borders, but in the US we have to create and maintain several local bubbles until there's effective national control of spread via testing, tracing, etc.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:

cal1piggy? You are usually the voice I trust here in regards to the trials specifically...

thanks, been working 12 hours day 7 days a week on our covid19 project.

dexamethasone, a cheap steroid, is the only drug that has reduced death rate. but seems to be useful only when critically ill patient is getting mechanical ventillation. supposed to reduce deaths by 1/3.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/cheap-steroid-first-drug-shown-reduce-death-covid-19-patients

please note that dexamethasone actually inhibits the immune system. they think it works because it prevents the immune system from going berserk (cytokline storm). but if take when the patient is not critically ill, it may make things worse as it inhibits the immune system.

remdisivir shortens recovery period, but no evidence for reducing death rate.

some hope for combining remdivisir with things like dexamethasone, but no data to back it up.

hopefully there would be more results from the antibody-based treatments.

many vaccines under development.
the stuff that will be available earlier would be either the mRNA type or the 'killed' virus. i think only china is working on the dead virus type.
personally i would not use either one.
mRNA is brand new technology, and it is amazing tech, but i would be too scared to try such new tech.
killed virus - no thanks, what if they screw up!
i would wait for the viral protein vaccine, but those are about 3-5 months behind the mRNA and dead virus vaccines.

i think there is one more vaccine type based on the ebola vaccine (vsv platform) technology. again, very new tech, but has been used in the ebola epidemic in africa with good results.

my disclaimer is that i am no virologist or MD, but i just read into this stuff and have old college classmate friends in public health.
out of all the earlier vaccines, if i had to choose an earlier one, i would personally choose the vsv based vaccine used in the ebola vaccine.
personally, i would wait for the viral protein based vaccine.

Last edited by cal1piggy on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

the sad thing is that there are ways to address that risk.
but it appears that the helmet makers and other equipment people are not commit major resources because they expect the pandemic equipment market is very short lived.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:

dexamethasone, a cheap steroid, is the only drug that has reduced death rate. but seems to be useful only when critically ill patient is getting mechanical ventillation. supposed to reduce deaths by 1/3.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/cheap-steroid-first-drug-shown-reduce-death-covid-19-patients

some hope for combining remdivisir with things like dexamethasone, but no data to back it up.

the stuff that will be available earlier would be either the mRNA type or the 'killed' virus. i think only china is working on the dead virus type.
mRNA is brand new technology, and it is amazing tech, but i would be too scared to try such new tech.
i would wait for the viral protein vaccine, but those are about 3-5 months behind the mRNA and dead virus vaccines.

i think there is one more vaccine type based on the ebola vaccine (vsv platform) technology. again, very new tech, but has been used in the ebola epidemic in africa with good results.

my disclaimer is that i am no virologist or MD, but i just read into this stuff and have old college classmate friends in public health.
out of all the earlier vaccines, if i had to choose an earlier one, i would personally choose the vsv based vaccine used in the ebola vaccine.

Thanks my G!
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:

Thanks my G!

please note that dexamethasone actually inhibits the immune system. they think it works because it prevents the immune system from going berserk (cytokline storm). but if take when the patient is not critically ill, it may make things worse as it inhibits the immune system.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

What did everyone think of the TV presentation today for the two games? Honestly, maybe it's just cuz I'm starved for basketball and sports in general, but it was pretty much as exciting as it was with fans. I didn't really feel that much of a difference, other than maybe it being quieter at certain key moments than what you're used to with fans getting hyped.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
What did everyone think of the TV presentation today for the two games? Honestly, maybe it's just cuz I'm starved for basketball and sports in general, but it was pretty much as exciting as it was with fans. I didn't really feel that much of a difference, other than maybe it being quieter at certain key moments than what you're used to with fans getting hyped.

I'm not missing the fan crowd. You can hear subtle chatter between players that we usually don't get to hear, I like it.

The spacing of the players and coaches should be close to what we are seeing in the bubble. I never felt the players should have to be squeezed together like they are normally.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

I'm not missing the fan crowd. You can hear subtle chatter between players that we usually don't get to hear, I like it.

The spacing of the players and coaches should be close to what we are seeing in the bubble. I never felt the players should have to be squeezed together like they are normally.

At minimum they need to keep the border around the court to keep the players out of the crowd.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

An inhaled formulation of interferon beta, significantly decreased the chances of hospitalized patients developing severe COVID-19 compared to placebo.

SNG001, the inhaled formulation of interferon beta, significantly decreased the chances of hospitalized patients developing severe COVID-19 compared to placebo, according to Synairgen, as reported by FirstWord Pharma.

A total of 221 patients were included in the SG016 study of randomly selected patients; 101 were in-hospital patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 virus and 120 patients remained at home.

The patients received either active or placebo treatment that was delivered by mesh nebulizer once daily for up to 14 days. The primary endpoint was the patients’ change in condition during the treatment period.

Active treatment cuts severe disease development dramatically
Synairgen, a UK-based company, reported that compared with placebo the odds of developing severe disease during the treatment period decreased by 79% for hospitalized patients receiving SNG001, and that patients who received SNG001 were more than twice as likely to recover from the virus during the treatment period versus those randomized to placebo.

Importantly, during treatment, the measure of breathlessness was “markedly reduced” in patients who received SNG001 compared to placebo.

“The results confirm our belief that interferon beta…has huge potential as an inhaled drug to be able to restore the lung’s immune response, enhancing protection, accelerating recovery and countering the impact of SARS-CoV-2 virus,” Tom Wilkinson, the chief study investigator said.

Synairgen also reported that patients with more severe disease upon hospital admission who were treated with SNG001 had an increased non-significant likelihood of discharge.

The median times to discharge were 6 days and 9 days, respectively, for SNG001-treated patients and placebo patients.

Other observations were that patients in the SNG001 group appeared more than twice as likely to recover by the end of treatment, although the difference did not reach significance, and by day 28, the SNG001-treated patients had significantly better odds of recovery.

Three patients in the placebo group died; no deaths occurred in the SNG001 group.

Synairgen is now working with regulators and other key groups to obtain approval of this potential COVID-19 treatment.

https://www.ophthalmologytimes.com/view/ocular-trauma-in-the-covid-19-era
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

Inhaled interferon beta shows promise for severe COVID-19

Inhaled interferon beta lowered the risk for developing severe infection and improved the likelihood of recovery from COVID-19 compared with placebo, according to early data released by Synairgen.

The company released early results from its double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, which enrolled 101 patients with COVID-19 at nine sites in the United Kingdom from March 30 to May 27. Patients in the hospital setting were randomly assigned to treatment with inhaled interferon beta (SNG001, Synairgen) or placebo. Patient groups were evenly matched, with a mean age of about 57 years and COVID-19 symptoms prior to enrollment for about 9 days.

The positive findings were released in a press release by the company and have not yet been published.

According to the early results, the odds of developing severe COVID-19 infection requiring ventilation or resulting in death during the treatment period, from day 1 to day 16, was reduced by 79% for patients receiving inhaled interferon beta compared with placebo (OR = 0.21; 95% CI, 0.04-0.97; P = .046). Patients receiving inhaled interferon beta were more than twice as likely to recover from COVID-19 infection during the treatment period compared with the placebo group (HR = 2.19; 95% CI, 1.03-4.69; P = .043), according to the release. Further, patients receiving inhaled interferon beta appeared to be more than twice as likely to have recovered by the end of the treatment period (HR = 2.6; 95% CI, 0.95-7.07; P = .062). By day 28, patients receiving inhaled interferon beta had significantly better odds of recovery (OR = 3.86; 95% CI, 1.27-11.75; P = .017), according to the release.

In addition, breathlessness was significantly reduced in the inhaled interferon beta group compared with placebo (P = .007). During the treatment period, there were no deaths among patients assigned inhaled interferon beta and three patients (6%) in the placebo group died, according to the release.

Among patients with more severe disease at the time of admission, including those requiring supplemental oxygen, inhaled interferon beta increased the likelihood of discharge during the study (HR = 1.72; 95% CI, 0.91-3.25; P = .096). Median time to discharge was 6 days in the inhaled interferon beta group compared with 9 days in the placebo group, according to the release.

“The results confirm our belief that interferon beta, a widely known drug that, by injection, has been approved for use in a number of other indications, has huge potential as an inhaled drug to be able to restore the lung’s immune response, enhancing protection, accelerating recovery and countering the impact of SARS-CoV-2 virus,” Tom Wilkinson, MA Cantab, MBBS, PhD, FRCP, professor of respiratory medicine at the University of Southampton and trial chief investigator, stated in the release.

Interferon beta is a naturally occurring protein that orchestrates the body’s antiviral responses. SNG001 is a formulation of IFN-beta-1a for direct delivery to the lungs via nebulization. Previous phase 2 clinical trials in asthma showed that inhaled SNG001 treatment activated antiviral pathways in the lung and improved lung function in patients with a respiratory viral infection, according to information from the company.

The trial of SNG001 in patients hospitalized with COVID-19 is a phase 2 trial. The trial researchers will also evaluate outcomes among patients to be initiated in the home setting, according to the release.

“This assessment of SNG001 in COVID-19 patients could signal a major breakthrough in

the treatment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients,” Richard Marsden, CEO of Synairgen, stated in the release. “Our efforts are now focused on working with the regulators and other key groups to progress this potential COVID-19 treatment as rapidly as possible."

Further analysis on SNG001 to treat patients with COVID-19 will be conducted in late 2020, according to the company.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4362858-promising-trial-results-may-make-synairgen-acquisition-target
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 108 of 130
Jump to: