Shaq vs. Kobe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I'm nowhere near a strict stat guy. I prefer eyes first and stats to confirm or disprove my eyes and intuition, but this article, based strictly on stats in the postseason, is very interesting, especially if you watched these series' like I did.

This article ranks the best postseason performances based strictly on stats: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23651740/ranking-50-greatest-individual-postseasons-modern-nba-history

Enjoy.

It is interesting that the top 15 guys in postseason WARP all won a ring and the finals MVP.
nikosvault
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
On the offense, Shaq is simply unstoppable. He is so impactful as he plays near the basket. But his free throw is a concern when we take into account of the rules. Kobe can score from everywhere but not that deadly. But his clutch plays are money, only few players in NBA history have reached this level.

On the defense, Shaq is great too in his prime but his position helping his impact again. But Kobe is much better defensive player overall.

Both are great but I would pick Kobe over Shaq.

Shaq could be very clutch under the right circumstances...

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject:

Kobe has 1 more ring.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Kobe had a better overall career, has 1 more ring and gave 100% every time he stepped on the floor. Shaq was lazy and at times just relied on his size and strength.

Since 1979 my top 5:

1a) Kareem
1b) MJ
2 Magic
3) Bird
4) Kobe
5) Hakeem
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Kobe has 1 more ring.

you can take that to the bank!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Kobe had a better overall career, has 1 more ring and gave 100% every time he stepped on the floor. Shaq was lazy and at times just relied on his size and strength.

Since 1979 my top 5:

1a) Kareem
1b) MJ
2 Magic
3) Bird
4) Kobe
5) Hakeem

C'mon dude. Even if Lebron wasn't wearing p&g and I'm back to hating him and pulling against him, I would still recognize that he is AT LEAST better than Bird on that list. Bird is out in my book. MJ, Magic, Bird was the holy trinity for the longest time. But Lebron has kicked him off the Island. A closer debate is Bird or Durant.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Since 1979 my top 5:

1a) Kareem
1b) MJ
2 Magic
3) Bird
4) Kobe
5) Hakeem

C'mon dude. Even if Lebron wasn't wearing p&g and I'm back to hating him and pulling against him, I would still recognize that he is AT LEAST better than Bird on that list. Bird is out in my book. MJ, Magic, Bird was the holy trinity for the longest time. But Lebron has kicked him off the Island. A closer debate is Bird or Durant.

Bird in his prime is up there with anyone. He's a 50-40-90 shooter who could rebound like a power forward and pass with amazing court vision. You can make a case that Bird had the strongest single-player impact on a team in NBA history. He joined a 25-win Celtics and (with no significant changes except the addition of him), it immediately became a 61-win team. I do not believe there is any single-season team improvement close to that that did not include other significant roster changes.

So I put Bird over Durant because of the X factor. I put Lebron over Bird because of career longevity.

The knock against him is the shortness of his career -- because he spent 4 years in college, he started in the NBA at age 23 and injuries decimated him by his mid-30s.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Kobe has 1 more ring.

you can take that to the bank!

GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

Shaq was unstoppable in his day, but he was a dickhead to Kobe most of his young life. I'm sure in hindsight, the big fella realized he had made mistakes just as he accused Mamba of doing for years.

There comes a point where you realize that resentment is poisoning yourself, and hoping for your adversaries demise.

Both men ended up realizing how much the other meant at a vital point in their lives and their brotherhood was recaptured.

Shaq himself would tell you that Kobe is the GOAT.

Kobe will tell you that Shaq was the most dominant he's ever seen.

I'm appreciative that both of these men were Lakers champions.

Love them both.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Since 1979 my top 5:

1a) Kareem
1b) MJ
2 Magic
3) Bird
4) Kobe
5) Hakeem

lebron is nowhere near the shooter Bird was. Not even close. With Bird, you could be up 2 or 3 points, but you better keep the ball out of Larry's hands because if he gets it you're cooked. lebron is only a threat when he's barreling his way to the basket. You can foul lebron and put him on the line and more than likely he'll miss at least one. I'm not going to put a guy in my top five who's not a threat late in the game. Bird wasn't a great defender, but neither is lebron. I take Bird all day, every day.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

People will remember Kobe's last game and say wow.
Where as for Shaq, people will say, "what team was he on" ?
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject:

I would draft Shaq over Kobe or Duncan

I'd compare it to the impact of the Beatles vs. Rolling Stones or Mike Tyson vs. Joe Frazier or Larry Holmes.

Shaq's prime was much shorter but he dominated the game in a way that the other two didn't.

If Shaq had kept in shape he would have stayed dominant longer to the point that there would be less of a debate.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Since 1979 my top 5:

1a) Kareem
1b) MJ
2 Magic
3) Bird
4) Kobe
5) Hakeem

Bird in his prime is up there with anyone. He's a 50-40-90 shooter who could rebound like a power forward and pass with amazing court vision. You can make a case that Bird had the strongest single-player impact on a team in NBA history. He joined a 25-win Celtics and (with no significant changes except the addition of him), it immediately became a 61-win team. I do not believe there is any single-season team improvement close to that that did not include other significant roster changes.

So I put Bird over Durant because of the X factor. I put Lebron over Bird because of career longevity.

The knock against him is the shortness of his career -- because he spent 4 years in college, he started in the NBA at age 23 and injuries decimated him by his mid-30s.

The Celtics team he joined was tanking - Auerbach was a personnel genius and intentionally rebooted after Havlicek retired.

As for "no significant changes," the 29-53 Celtics of 1978-79 added with ROY Larry Bird:

Nate Archibald (Hall of Fame)
M.L. Carr (1978-79 All Defensive Team)
Pete Maravich (Hall of Fame)

Then Bird's first championship team (1980-81) added more:

Robert Parish (Hall of Fame)
Kevin McHale (Hall of Fame)

Bird was great - but let's not act like he did it all by himself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: