Western Conf. Seeding Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject:

Still a chance the Pelicans can squeak in there, at least to 9th. Their schedule turns easy from here, with their last 5 against the Kings, Wizards, Spurs, Kings again, and Magic (without Isaac). Obviously, the game against the Spurs is practically a must-win, as they are a game behind them in the loss column right now. Lose that and it's dire straits for them. If they run the table and go 5-0, I think they have a good shot at being in 9th, at least.

The good news for us, even if it's Portland or New Orleans that we play, is that neither of those teams are very good defensively. Yes, Nurkic's return helps, but they don't have anyone with a prayer of slowing down either of our 2 stars, and that's certainly true of the Pelicans as well. And the Spurs aren't beating us, that's just not happening, and neither is Memphis. The main thing is that the first round doesn't take too much out of us.

JJJ's injury is, indeed, a major blow to Memphis. If they fall to 9th, I can't see them winning 2 games in a row against whichever team finishes 8th. They need to keep that 8th spot and then it's quite possible to pull out 1 of 2 games.

We'll see how the West seedings shake out, but I'm very intrigued by the possibility of a Houston/OKC 4-5 matchup. The Chris Paul-Westbrook grudge match!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

Amazing but the Suns have a actual shot to get the 8th seed would be nice if they end up getting it so we can take care of business in the 1st round as opposed to playing a team like the Blazers or Pelicans and the potential of the series being long.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

Should we tank the game against the Nuggets so the Clippers end up in the #3 seed?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

Woof it’s looking rough right now.

Blazers/Rockets/Clippers/Bucks.

The media will have to completely STFU if the Lakers make it through that gauntlet. This Blazers roster is really the 4th best team in the West and the Rockets are really the 3rd best team in the West.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

The media will have to completely STFU if the Lakers make it through that gauntlet. This Blazers roster is really the 4th best team in the West and the Rockets are really the 3rd best team in the West.

Ideally we’d avoid the Blazers. We need SA to beat Denver today so they keep pace. At this point - I see the Nuggets on equal footing with the Rockets. They haven’t played Murray yet and they’ve had pretty outstanding games by Bol Bol and Porter. Their depth is the more significant challenge for us.

Rockets - I believe are an easier matchup over 7 than the Nuggets. They really don’t have the depth you need in the playoffs on the frontline. Whereas Denver can go inside - midrange - shoot from 3 and iso.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

Denver is holding it together with duct tape at the moment. Kind of amazing they can win a game without their starting SF, SG and PG. They get them back healthy for the playoffs they could be an issue.

All three of of Murray, Harris and Barton play 32mpg. That’s haa lot of mins too fill with bench players.

Just another really good team that will make this playoffs so fun. They get healthy and playing well don’t be surprised to see them make a deep run.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Denver is holding it together with duct tape at the moment. Kind of amazing they can win a game without their starting SF, SG and PG. They get them back healthy for the playoffs they could be an issue.

All three of of Murray, Harris and Barton play 32mpg. That’s haa lot of mins too fill with bench players.

Just another really good team that will make this playoffs so fun. They get healthy and playing well don’t be surprised to see them make a deep run.

Are you finally happy about LBJ and the Lakers? I know you were a bit down on it all but here we are at #1. Of course the playoffs will determine a lot but they exceeded a lot of pundits' expectations.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

https://i.imgur.com/Y4JYhAL.png
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Amazing but the Suns have a actual shot to get the 8th seed would be nice if they end up getting it so we can take care of business in the 1st round as opposed to playing a team like the Blazers or Pelicans and the potential of the series being long.

They're the only undefeated team in the bubble. I said it before, young teams are going to have a huge advantage in this scenario.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

The bolded teams don't qualify for gauntlet territory. If Portland gets in then it would be a toss up between teams 3-8 if they had to play one another. It's the two LA teams in one tier and everyone else.

Clippers and Bucks would be tough for sure, similar to what you would expect to see in the Conf Finals and Finals.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

The bolded teams don't qualify for gauntlet territory. If Portland gets in then it would be a toss up between teams 3-8 if they had to play one another. It's the two LA teams in one tier and everyone else.

Clippers and Bucks would be tough for sure, similar to what you would expect to see in the Conf Finals and Finals.

Pretty much every matchup will be tough except for 1 v 8 in the East.

It would not stun me if any team gets knocked out except for Bucks/Magic . . . and the Bucks JUST lot to the Nets.

Health & chemistry will be the biggest factors, IMO.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

This is how I see the West:

Tier 1
Lakers
Clippers

Tier 2
Rockets
Denver (Lakers match up well)

Tier 3
Blazers
OKC (Lakers match up well)

Tier 4
Dallas
Utah

Tier 5
Any other potential 8 seed other than the Blazers. Suns and Pels not quite ready and the Spurs don’t have enough talent.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Poor Memphis loses again.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm really surprised at how many folks aren't too concerned about the Blazers, I could see them ripping a lot of energy out of us.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

poppies wrote:
I'm really surprised at how many folks aren't too concerned about the Blazers, I could see them ripping a lot of energy out of us.

Everyone is worried about a Blazers team with a healthy roster.

If you hear otherwise, it's either stupidity or false bravado.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Blazers are scarier than the Clippers, I feel...
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Blazers are scarier than the Clippers, I feel...

I think the scariest is the Rockets. Rockets are that type of team where if they don't hit their threes, we can easily sweep them. But if they're falling and if Harden and/or Westbrook goes off for one of their 50 point games, we are screwed.

Then right after them is the Blazers for the exact same reason.

Then after them is the Clippers because I think we match up well with them.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

That's the worst case scenario, IMO.

Portland would be a TOUGH 6 or even 7 game series. Memphis was a sweep. Suns are a sweep. Spurs are sweep or at worst 5. Kings are a sweep. NO are either a sweep or 5.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

yeah that's about as brutal as it gets

although idk -- still not sure whom I'd rather play between the bucks and raptors
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

yeah that's about as brutal as it gets

although idk -- still not sure whom I'd rather play between the bucks and raptors

Raptors feel very beatable without Kawhi.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

They're a gaunlet for us. We already struggled with smaller/quicker guards and we just lost our best defender against them. Look how Lowry and VanVleet just killed us.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Let's lose to everyone except the blazers and the Clippers

I call it playoff tanking

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject:

MPJ producing like he is and Bol Bol giving them some minutes totally changes the dynamic for Denver. They become a bigger threat.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Are you finally happy about LBJ and the Lakers? I know you were a bit down on it all but here we are at #1. Of course the playoffs will determine a lot but they exceeded a lot of pundits' expectations.

Of course I’m happy with the current situation. Number 1 seed and James playing at an MVP level is both unexpected and exciting. How could I not be thrilled as a Laker fan. Sixteen wins from glory!

Now they just need to complete the run to a championship in one of the deepest playoff brackets perhaps ever. Going to be entertaining!

My “being a bit down on it” is more with the short term vision of the current plan and it revolves around James carrying this team to a championship in a very small window. It is a high risk all or nothing plan IMO. So far it has worked.

It will be interesting to see if he can sustain the “playoff James” needed to complete the task this year. I’m rooting for him to do so but he and the rest of the team still has it to do. IMO this may be the best opportunity without significant upgrades to the roster as James wears down.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MPJ producing like he is and Bol Bol giving them some minutes totally changes the dynamic for Denver. They become a bigger threat.

Denver will be brutal when healthy.

I wanted us to get Bol Bol before we traded everything.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16
Jump to: