Has this Lakers team developed the lightswitch mentality?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Has this Lakers team developed the lightswitch mentality?

After reading the game thread and talking to a colleague who's a fellow Laker fan, I'm starting to think that this team has mentally checked out until the playoffs start.

I really hate that mentality, as it cost us at least one championship during the Kobe era.

You can't just chill through these remaining games and expect to flip a switch when the playoffs start, since you're ingraining bad habits, and the only way to get rid of a bad habit is to replace it with a good habit, which takes at least a few weeks.

Now we're reading that LeBron doesn't want to go through gameday shootarounds, and that coach Vogel has given in to him.

If LeBron and the rest think they'll just flip the switch in the first round of the playoffs, their season may be over before the end of this month.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Not sure there is a light switch on making wide open shots... Thats the most concerning.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Not sure there is a light switch on making wide open shots... Thats the most concerning.

I could be wrong, but I think if your focus and intensity isn't there, it could make you misfire on your open shots.

People's attitude and mindset affect their actions and how they perform them.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Yes OP, this is a veteran team with guys who have a lot of experience we aren’t a young team looking to prove ourselves every single night, there is definitely a mind set with this team that they can turn on the green light.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject:

they don't look the same since the return and it might be lost but what can you do after a 5 month break.

Something seems off with all the roll players and Bradley wasnt that good to make this much of a difference. to top it off Lebron doesnt look good offensively
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Which championship did it cost us during the Kobe era? The 07-08 Celtics were the better team.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Which championship did it cost us during the Kobe era? The 07-08 Celtics were the better team.

I'd argue that the lightswitch mentality at least partly cost us the '03 and '11 championships.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I'd argue that the lightswitch mentality at least partly cost us the '03 and '11 championships.

In 2011 the team was a mess, lots of extra court problems.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
they don't look the same since the return and it might be lost but what can you do after a 5 month break.

Something seems off with all the roll players and Bradley wasnt that good to make this much of a difference. to top it off Lebron doesnt look good offensively

I think Bradley’s importance on offense isn’t be considered enough. He played a big part in our offense in the screen game. He was our best mid range shooter, AD is good too, and made the right reads on lobs. One of the biggest things I’ve noticed is that Green’s ineffectiveness is being highlighted more. I actually think his play is not an anomaly. Bradley just hid it better being beside him. Also, Bradley’s absence forces us to play Green more. If you remember Green would spend sometimes near whole quarters on the bench... now we see Vogel had legit reasons for doing that.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject:

I’d agree if there was no stoppage to the season for 4 months. We just look out of sync when other top teams seem to be primed for a playoff run.

I’d feel better if we had a better showing for a half and then maybe sit starters 2nd half. We just look off right from opening tip.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject:

Something I noticed is, as much as this team talks about being close I haven’t seen enough support from guys sitting. Specifically, Morris, Dion and even Cook. Meanwhile you got teams like the Bucks all on their feet.
My last observation Is the absence of Bradley and why. I feel like this isn’t being discussed enough. He originally didn’t want to play because of social injustice but it’s been clear the platform has been put to good use. His next reason was his 6 year old son couldn’t be in the bubble... but, no ones family is in the bubble. You got guys like Giannis away from his 5 month old. To me Bradley just didn’t want to play. Maybe he got complacent and comfortable and just gave up on the remainder of the season, but Danny Green commenting that he’s been distant and hard to contact since deciding against joining them bothers me. I wonder how that effected the team. They just haven’t looked like a cohesive group so far and like something is missing or “off”.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

ZeroDark30_ wrote:
Something I noticed is, as much as this team talks about being close I haven’t seen enough support from guys sitting. Specifically, Morris, Dion and even Cook. Meanwhile you got teams like the Bucks all on their feet.
My last observation Is the absence of Bradley and why. I feel like this isn’t being discussed enough. He originally didn’t want to play because of social injustice but it’s been clear the platform has been put to good use. His next reason was his 6 year old son couldn’t be in the bubble... but, no ones family is in the bubble. You got guys like Giannis away from his 5 month old. To me Bradley just didn’t want to play. Maybe he got complacent and comfortable and just gave up on the remainder of the season, but Danny Green commenting that he’s been distant and hard to contact since deciding against joining them bothers me. I wonder how that effected the team. They just haven’t looked like a cohesive group so far and like something is missing or “off”.

Why do we even have to pay Bradley’s salary? Should be able to just void his contract.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

ZeroDark30_ wrote:

Why do we even have to pay Bradley’s salary? Should be able to just void his contract.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:

I agree they don’t look the same. I do think no AB has upset the chemistry and rotations. He was still a big part of the screen game and mid range jumpers as someone alluded to. He also allows the Lakers to take care of dynamic backcourt duos. We really miss him when it’s just Caruso and KCP, it doesn’t look the same.

What is uncertain imo is whether they just aren’t the same team and won’t be for the remainder of this tournament or whether it’s just the human nature of not having anything to play for. In other words, are we freaking out over something that would happen in late March and early April, but it’s accentuated by this bizarre setup with “seeding” games?

Shooting is definitely a concern though. They better figure that out over the remaining 4 games.

Last edited by LakerSD on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:

They are contractually obligated to pay Bradley and you can’t void a player option. Emphasis on the word player.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

I agree they don’t look the same. I do think no AB has upset the chemistry and rotations. He was still a big part of the screen game and mid range jumpers as someone alluded to. He also allows the Lakers to take care of dynamic backcourt duos. We really miss him when it’s just Caruso and KCP, it doesn’t look the same.

What is uncertain imo is whether they just aren’t the same team and won’t be for the remainder of this tournament or whether it’s just the human nature of not having anything to play for. In other words, are we freaking out over something that would happen in late March and early April, but it’s accentuated by this bizarre setup with “seeding” games.

Shooting is definitely a concern though. They better figure that out over the remaining 4 games.

It’s been 4 games, I am not sure that I would draw conclusions from that. Though I have thought that it is bad timing trying to work in new players at the beginning of a tournament.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject:

At least they have a switch to turn on unlike Lakers Teams of the last 7 years who when trying to turn on the light switch got electrocuted.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Let’s hope they have a defensive switch at least. Get back to elite defense and hopefully that keeps us around long enough until our offense starts clicking again
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject:

A team that hasn’t won a single playoff game together should not have a lightswitch
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject:

We should be using the remaining seeding games to get ourselves out of this shooting funk. Have our shooters keep shooting 3s until they start making them. Vogel should make it a goal to shoot 30-50 threes per game in these last few games. Knocking the rust off our shooters should be the primary objective right now.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject:

The only “switch” that matters is James.

If he can find the Fountain of Youth for 16 more wins and be the dynamic player from playoff runs in the past the team will follow.

If he can’t they go home early.

James will need to play big mins, get nightly 30pt triple doubles and energetic defense.

And Davis is equally as important. He needs to be that DPOY, 30 pt / 15 reb player we all want him to be.

Lakers flip those “switches” and it takes pressure off the role players to be anything but complimentary role players to play hard and hit shots. Be nice to see some easy lob dunks to the big man again.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

They have managed to turn the switch off, we will see if they can turn it on.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

I think the bubble degrades everyone, but it seems especially hard on the Lakers for some reason. We must never forget the individual human element of living in the bubble. I'm surprised that someone hasn't had a public meltdown yet.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject:

There is no switch for hitting WIDE OPEN shots. Role players back to being garbage
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
There is no switch for hitting WIDE OPEN shots. Role players back to being garbage

Eh. When you stock your roster from the clearance bin, you get what you paid for. We'll need to shorten the rotation for the playoffs. As much as I like to bash him, a lot may turn on whether Rondo can recover and give us some quality minutes (by Rondo standards). With Bradley opting out, we've got a gaping hole in our roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: