Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 944, 945, 946 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Extremely overrated on offense. Lakers overpaid for him.

He's never been an offensive hub despite the gaudy ppg. I still think his teams are and will only ever be as good as the lead ball-handler who sets him up; thankfully Lebron is still performing at an MVP level.

Past Lebron I don't see how you build a WCF caliber roster around a maxed-out AD in his 30s. But if the Lakers win a title this season or next, Lebron winds things down gracefully as he becomes a media mogul, and the AD-led Lakers go through a few first round playoff exists while fulfilling their draft commitments to New Orleans, the AD trade will have been a great success.

Yup. So you paid for a superstar that is really a great complimentary piece. The player you pair him with has to be at an MVP level to win a championship and that player is likely capable of leading your team to a championship with AD or another all-star level player.

Post Lebron, the Lakers should trade AD and rebuild (that is assuming AD resigns).
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject:

3 bad meaningless games (in terms of standings) after dropping 42,12,and 3 lol.
Oh how fast they forget what we have when he’s firing on all cylinders.

Best of AD:
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

He's never been an offensive hub despite the gaudy ppg. I still think his teams are and will only ever be as good as the lead ball-handler who sets him up; thankfully Lebron is still performing at an MVP level.

Past Lebron I don't see how you build a WCF caliber roster around a maxed-out AD in his 30s. But if the Lakers win a title this season or next, Lebron winds things down gracefully as he becomes a media mogul, and the AD-led Lakers go through a few first round playoff exists while fulfilling their draft commitments to New Orleans, the AD trade will have been a great success.

Yup. So you paid for a superstar that is really a great complimentary piece. The player you pair him with has to be at an MVP level to win a championship and that player is likely capable of leading your team to a championship with AD or another all-star level player.

Post Lebron, the Lakers should trade AD and rebuild (that is assuming AD resigns).

I'd strongly entertain the idea. The Lakers would presumably cut ties with Rich Paul in that instance.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Landing a superstar is undoubtedly incredibly difficult. There are maybe 7-8 superstars at most. (Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Harden, Steph, Doncic, AD & Giannis)

Of those 7-8 - only 2-3 are capable of being the number one guy on a championship team. That's the NBA. Rebuilding is futile & difficult. If we were to re-sign AD & then trade him - we would not get any superstars for a sizable period of time. Furthermore, we'd be low on draft assets to improve our team.

AD can and has performed at an MVP level in the post season. He's our greatest asset - and you're proposing trading him because of 3 bubble games? It's ridiculous.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I'd strongly entertain the idea. The Lakers would presumably cut ties with Rich Paul in that instance.

Makes sense to cut off the one agent who sent superstars our way. We should cut off Rich & cozy up to Mintz.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

AD may have put up "Kareem-like" numbers in NO.. but he was no Kareem.

I think AD would need to be the 2nd player on a Championship roster.

Like if AD was in Gasol's place with the 2010 Lakers then yeah that's a chip, because we had Kobe.

But now in 2020, we have LeBron, whom is nearing the end of his prime, he gets his numbers but LeBron's always had a Kyrie or a Wade next to him when he had his greatest successes, someone that can take over the game or force themselves on the game and take over when need be, and then when LeBron gets going it comes even more to the forefront.

I am not sure AD is someone you can depend on for that on a consistent basis. He's more Gasol/Bosh than Wade in that regard.

IF we were trying to build around AD, we'd need a 'killer' that is a better player than him and in their prime as the Number 1 Option. And I am not sure how much longer we can rely on LeBron to be the "do everything" on this team, especially how top heavy the team is designed.

But we'll see. AD may just go off for 35/12 and 3.8 blocks in the playoffs and lead us to a Championship, we'll have to see. But he can't be the AD he's been the last few games, or for most of the bubble tbh.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Another reason to move on from AD. The Lakers have given RP/Lebron way too much power. Rob either needs to have the fortitude/vision to build quality teams himself or hire people to help him do that. He can't just submit a list to his star players and ask "is this guy okay?"

AD is just not a max superstar to me. West, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron. There's a clear pedigree of leadership both in personality and production. AD is neither of those. He's a supercharged James Worthy. A guy who can't lead and can't create his own on any given night. A guy who depends on others to produce and disappears every few games is not a $240 million player. I'm honestly eager to move on from him.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject:

AD is good.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Makes sense to cut off the one agent who sent superstars our way. We should cut off Rich & cozy up to Mintz.

Thanks for chiming in from 2023, Nostradamus.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Another reason to move on from AD. The Lakers have given RP/Lebron way too much power. Rob either needs to have the fortitude/vision to build quality teams himself or hire people to help him do that. He can't just submit a list to his star players and ask "is this guy okay?"

AD is just not a max superstar to me. West, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron. There's a clear pedigree of leadership both in personality and production. AD is neither of those. He's a supercharged James Worthy. A guy who can't lead and can't create his own on any given night. A guy who depends on others to produce and disappears every few games is not a $240 million player. I'm honestly eager to move on from him.

I'm not eager, but I doubt Pelinka has a coherent plan to build around AD's weaknesses post-Lebron, so...
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone seen AD tonight? The guy just is invisible for most of the game while be guarded by a bunch of nobodies.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Has anyone seen AD tonight? The guy just is invisible for most of the game while be guarded by a bunch of nobodies.

I see him.
25/6/4/3/1 in 36 mins
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I see him.
25/6/4/3/1 in 36 mins

Soft numbers for going against Bol Bol, Plumlee and the rest of Denver's bench.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Davis is not soft.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject:

When AD is engaged & cares, he puts up huge numbers like he has against the Clippers, Jazz, & Nuggets. In the losses, AD just didn't have it and looked like he really didn't care, which I just chalk up to not really caring and just going through the motions to get through this regular season. In the playoffs AD averages 30 & 12 with over 2 blocks per game, which is the level AD will be playing at come playoff time imo.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

You are full of (bleep)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject:

I can't wait until the playoffs start.

This has been the craziest Lakers season.

1. China incident
2. Kobe dies.
3. COVID
4. The Bubble.

I think guys want to get to the playoffs and get this over with to be honest. It's been a crazy year for the Lakers but I think we are certainly in the mix to win it all.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I can't wait until the playoffs start.

This has been the craziest Lakers season.

1. China incident
2. Kobe dies.
3. COVID
4. The Bubble.

I think guys want to get to the playoffs and get this over with to be honest. It's been a crazy year for the Lakers but I think we are certainly in the mix to win it all.

I’m with you. The 8 seeding games have gone as I expected minus the horrible shooting in the first 5 games.

I’m cautiously optimistic and give them a 50/50 shot. If we had AB instead of JR, it would have been perfect. I would have given them a 80 or 90% chance because of that elite on ball perimeter defense AB brings.

I’m a little bit worried about it all being on Caruso and KCP, but who knows maybe that won’t be an issue once the real games begin.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Nothing to worry about here fellas, AD is a monster in the playoffs (at least he was in the past), I'd expect him to do his part once we kick start the playoffs. Just gotta keep the guy healthy.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Thanks for chiming in from 2023, Nostradamus.

Anthony Davis is one of the few bigs that actually provides you ROI for the max contract. He's an MVP candidate in his prime who you would like to trade to rebuild. In reality, it's significantly easier to sign other players when you already have a guy like AD on your team.

Los Angeles is not a market that's even suitable for rebuilding. It's nearly impossible for most young players to thrive in this market without numerous veterans to support them. It's not a coincidence BI bloomed when he left LA.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject:

Unbelievable! Surprised to see so many so critical of Davis and suggesting the Lakers "trade" him??

The Lakers overpaid for the one year rights to Davis and now "he is not good enough"? The man is a talented two way player you build around despite any minimal flaws. Arguably should be in the MVP conversation with the stats and impact he has had this season.

I just hope the Lakers have the luxury of choice in the matter. Davis is a free agent after this season. He should be looking around the league for options.

Even by most Laker fans' jaded opinions there has to be an acknowledgement that there are some flaws to the current roster, aging James and limited assets to improve. Davis has to look at his options.

Laker fans have a bias and loyalty to the Lakers. Why would Davis? He wants the best situation to win. A deep run this year will help but there are going to be multiple teams willing to do go to extremes to lure him away. Including making trades to clear cap for teams that may be more appealing then the "Lakers history" and an aging James.

We better hope that teams like the Heat, Warriors, Rockets or Celtics don't find a way to clear cap and still retain quality players. And there are likely more that could get into the conversation with some work. And for Davis they will.

"Trade Davis"? , I just hope the Lakers are in position to have that discussion a couple years from now.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

Which players would you guys trade Davis for straight up other than Giannis? Doncic? Kawhi?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Which players would you guys trade Davis for straight up other than Giannis? Doncic? Kawhi?

I would trade Davis for Doncic any day. You would get Doncic for the next 6 years
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I would trade Davis for Doncic any day. You would get Doncic for the next 6 years

AD is only 27– we could have him for six more years too.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject:

You don't trade a player like AD, he is the perfect compliment to pretty much any star wing/perimeter player and doesn't mind sharing the limelight.

Just having him in tow puts you in play for disgruntled stars who demand trades or makes you more attractive in free agency.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 944, 945, 946 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 945 of 1425
Jump to: