It's Pau Gasol Saturday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: It's Pau Gasol Saturday

For my Laker fans who forgot

https://twitter.com/ZoTimePodcast/status/1129797550448361473?s=20
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

I will always have a soft spot for Pau, he was amazing in his first 3 years as a Laker.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Pau was awesome in those 2 or 3 years of his prime Laker career. I hated seeing his decline. Nice memories here.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

PAU GASOL Fired up!!

Kobe Bryant motivated Pau Gasol by hanging the
2008 Olympics gold medal in the latter’s locker

This Gasol was Greatness
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Pau was awesome in those 2 or 3 years of his prime Laker career. I hated seeing his decline. Nice memories here.

He didn't decline for a while, but the Mike Brown and Dantonie years made it seem like he did. The system changed and the support cast with Kobe and Gasol was trash. The Howard trade made him switch his spots on the floor. Just a mess
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

He didn't decline for a while, but the Mike Brown and Dantonie years made it seem like he did. The system changed and the support cast with Kobe and Gasol was trash. The Howard trade made him switch his spots on the floor. Just a mess

2008-2014 was a unique era. Pretty crazy how it shifted from Pau being "too small" to be a traditional C to being a "prototypical C" to being "too slow/not good enough of a shooter" to be your main guy at C, with Pau being pretty much the same player throughout that whole time.

Nowadays you could probably run Odom at the C for most of the game.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Pau was probably the most underappreciated Laker ever.

If he wanted to he could've averaged at least 25 pts and 10 rebounds a game every year. He was that skilled and that good.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

One of my favorite lakers ever. Highly skilled, intelligent and dedicated. It was a bit unfortunate for him that he followed shaq. In comparison to shaq he just seemed weak and soft, when the reality is that mentally he towered over most. True champ.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Smart, skilled, and didn't have a ridiculous ego or delusions of grandeur. The perfect 2nd in command for Kobe.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject:

One of the most underrated players of his generation/time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

The next Laker jersey to be up on the rafters
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

I love him so much
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, but he deserves a Jersey in the rafters at Staples.

Shaq won 3, Pau won 2 - Deserves it
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

I will always love my PauPau
esmile
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol Draft Day : Highest International Player Drafted in NBA Draft History | 2001 NBA Draft

thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject:

Crazy how time flied so fast, it has been 10+ years.

I love Pau. He is underappreciated by most despite done some great thing during his first 3 years here. He did well even after that but everything was a mess.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Sorry, but he deserves a Jersey in the rafters at Staples.

Shaq won 3, Pau won 2 - Deserves it

I don't believe Pau has retired yet. When he does, his number will be retired at some point
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

True, that was a product of where he started his career. Had Pau played for the Knicks, he would have been hyped as a major superstar. Instead he toiled away in Memphis, far from the spotlight.

I was jocking for a Pau Gasol trade rather than Kevin Garnett. I figured Lurch's asking price for Garnett would have gutted to the team, to the extent that even Kobe and Garnett wouldn't have been enough to win a championship. I knew Gasol (if available) would be less expensive, but Mitch committed highway robbery.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

True, that was a product of where he started his career. Had Pau played for the Knicks, he would have been hyped as a major superstar. Instead he toiled away in Memphis, far from the spotlight.

I was jocking for a Pau Gasol trade rather than Kevin Garnett. I figured Lurch's asking price for Garnett would have gutted to the team, to the extent that even Kobe and Garnett wouldn't have been enough to win a championship. I knew Gasol (if available) would be less expensive, but Mitch committed highway robbery.

My dude, great to see you around.

Yep I remember you once saying in 2007sh or 6sh that Pau trade would be better than a KG trade.

Looking back, the fact that they got Marc Gasol, made it a pretty fair trade, IMO. I once had the same stance, it was robbery. Mitch should always get credit (and the main credit for that championship run because of this trade, ahem NOT Jimbo) because what it did was save so many things for the Lakers at that point in time.

But they did get Marc, and when you factor that they had cap space (they did not use well) and a future 1st rounder, and Marc, it was a pretty solid deal for the Grizzlies. Kwame was just the throw in to make contracts work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Yep I remember you once saying in 2007sh or 6sh that Pau trade would be better than a KG trade.

Looking back, the fact that they got Marc Gasol, made it a pretty fair trade, IMO. I once had the same stance, it was robbery. Mitch should always get credit (and the main credit for that championship run because of this trade, ahem NOT Jimbo) because what it did was save so many things for the Lakers at that point in time.

But they did get Marc, and when you factor that they had cap space (they did not use well) and a future 1st rounder, and Marc, it was a pretty solid deal for the Grizzlies. Kwame was just the throw in to make contracts work.

Good to be back wolf!

Yeah, Memphis ended up doing well in the trade. The were given the choice between Sun Yue and Marc Gasol. They chose wisely.

And they had the good sense to send Javaris Crittenton to DC. They dodged a bullet, which is more than I can say for the poor woman who Crittenton killed.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Zach Randolph (whom they used the cap space on) turned out pretty well for them, didn’t he?

How would the rest of Pau’s career gone had Mitch not pulled off that trade? Would he just be remembered as a Shareef Abdul-Rahim, Antawn Jamison, or Al Jefferson level player?

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject:

Forgot about that, CC.

So Randolph, Marc Gasol, and picks.

That was a good deal, but the deal gets exaggerated because of Kwame. We went from having Kwame as our starter to Pau, which was like the biggest upgrade in the history of the Lakers power forward position. For the Grizz it was not about Pau to Kwame, it was Pau to Marc-Randolph. Those dudes helped Grizz be a playoff team for a good 5 years after that and went deep in the playoffs a few times IIRC.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: It's Pau Gasol Saturday

noahp45 wrote:
For my Laker fans who forgot

https://twitter.com/ZoTimePodcast/status/1129797550448361473?s=20

Sasha was all of his after his dunk against Suns when we first got him
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I will always have a soft spot for Pau, he was amazing in his first 3 years as a Laker.

Why u gotta say soft?

Btw, what is paul gasol Saturday?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Why u gotta say soft?

Btw, what is paul gasol Saturday?

Pillow and cotton candies day for y’all. And Shannon Brown handing out the freebies.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: