Thank God, I don't have to watch James Harden play basketball no more this season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Thank God, I don't have to watch James Harden play basketball no more this season

There isn't a player that I hate watching, more in NBA history than James Harden.I dreaded playing Houston in the playoffs, because I would be forced to have to watch him flop all over the court and march to the free throw line. His constant flopping and trying to draw fouls has ruined the NBA. He is a manufactured Superstar and it feels so good to knock him, Westbrook and that Dantoni out of the playoffs.

I am so glad that the Lakers made quick work of the pocket Rockets!!!!
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Harden makes the most of what he has, but IMO he'll never win a chip as a #1 because he lacks the athleticism to compete at a high level in the playoffs when the intensity gets ratcheted up a notch. He's a beach cruiser going up against guys with 11 gears. Good luck with that, and enjoy the meaningless regular season accolades.

I rather like watching him fail in the playoffs.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Although I have to admit that it annoys me that he clears out with his off arm nearly every play and never gets called for it.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject:

praise jesus
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject:

What, you don't enjoy those 20 points on 2 made FG?

Good riddance.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Harden is insanely good. His foul baiting is awful to watch and he's been bad in close out games but calling him a manufactured superstar is a bit much. Dude is a top 5 player in the NBA.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject:

What’s sad is Harden has skills, but the way he plays for the whistle and flops all over the court instead of playing real basketball makes him unwatchable.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject:

He is an abomination of a basketball player. A complete caricature of today's nba rules and analytics. I don't care enough to hate him but he is an absolute eye sore to watch as a basketball fan. Unfortunately I think he'll be doing his flopping routine into his 40s. There is no real basketball skill to do what makes him most effective. Good actor. Maybe he can go for an emmy on a daytime soap opera when he retires. He'd make a good villain, like a creepy peeping tom nextdoor neighbor type role.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject:

most (bleep) made play style since Iverson for sure

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Losing to OKC would've been all-time comedy but it's still satisfying to see our team make an example out of them.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject:

What, you don't like to see a guy use his off arm on offense all the time and then flail around whenever he has the smallest amount of contact?

I wish I could say I'll miss the phantom foul calls that seem to always go his way. I can't imagine many people actually like to watch him play unless they support the success of the team. Seeing 20 free throws a game for one player is boring basketball.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject:

So after all, did the Clippers have the better pathway to the WCF? If we still think that then it means that we have been performing far better than them
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
He is an abomination of a basketball player. A complete caricature of today's nba rules and analytics. I don't care enough to hate him but he is an absolute eye sore to watch as a basketball fan. Unfortunately I think he'll be doing his flopping routine into his 40s. There is no real basketball skill to do what makes him most effective. Good actor. Maybe he can go for an emmy on a daytime soap opera when he retires. He'd make a good villain, like a creepy peeping tom nextdoor neighbor type role.

I sure do! HUZZAH!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject:

He does master hooking defender arms both on drives and threes... Def stretching the rule book, that’s on the league
rixil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
Although I have to admit that it annoys me that he clears out with his off arm nearly every play and never gets called for it.

Agreed he's unwatchable. I flipped off a couple of the games when he was parading to the line b/c I couldn't take the nonsense any longer, even when we were winning.

Things Harden does consistently, that he gets special treatment for vs. other players:
- Pushing off with his off arm (offensive foul - he did finally get called for one in game 5).
- On drives, when the defender has clearly is avoiding contact, drops his shoulder into the defender's chest for a foul (normally a no-call, but often an offensive foul if he gets nothing past the defender)
- Kicking his feet forward on 3's (offensive foul for others, not sure why Harden gets this call so frequently).
- Block/charge (it appeared once per game at least, a Laker was clearly there for the charge, yet for Harden, it is always I foul - not sure how he doesn't get called for charges on his floaters where it appeared the Lakers were consistently there, but getting fouls).
- Flailing at any contact on the perimeter (the NBA needs something like yellow and red cards for this nonsense - call a tech when guys flop, or something).
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject:

He’s very effective but I agree his playstyle is annoying as an opposing team fan. He got contained in an excellent manner during this series though. Big props to the team.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

Remember back in the day when DWade use to get a parade to the free throw line by the refs? The NBA set the precedence of having a “superstar” get practically unlimited opportunities at the line. Today we have James Harden as a result of this.

The unfortunate thing is... as flopping continues to get more pathetic, and bad as James Harden is with this today, we will probably have someone even more manufactured (I know, hard to believe) and even more unwatchable than him one day.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject:

I know Harden is a great player but I too hate his play.
He manipulates the refs by baiting and selling fouls.
I have never liked his game.
Same for Westbrook. I know he’s solid but also not a fan of his game.

I feel both are hyped because of stats versus substance. I would take virtually any other player in the league over these two.

Just my opinion
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

His playing style aside, what I saw the most of in this series is lack of competitive spirit and leadership. I don't put as much into team failures as individual failings as others, but in this particular case his record and performance in close out games over his career and the seeming lack of fire out there just strike me as big flaws.

I hate being that guy trying to read into body language or taking visible emotion as a proxy for competitive spirit, but he looked like he was going through the motions and didn't look in the least bit upset after the game ended. Westbrook at least cares, even if neither his brain nor his body will cooperate with his will to win. But to circle back to the playing style, awful though it may be, the guy can put up 30 without breaking a sweat, have to give him that. He just doesn't seem to be able to put up a meaningful 30 points when it really counts.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

I also hate watching him play.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject:

Pushes off on almost every drive
Throws his arms into players for fouls
Throws his body into players for fouls
Falls down like he's 150 pounds
Iso balls half the game then is surprised when his team loses big games
Plays defends like 10% of games
Doesn't do any of the little things to help his team

He's a garbage stat padder same as Westbrook
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

Can’t wait for the media to promote his next 3 sidestep off one leg move next season. 🙄
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
His playing style aside, what I saw the most of in this series is lack of competitive spirit and leadership. I don't put as much into team failures as individual failings as others, but in this particular case his record and performance in close out games over his career and the seeming lack of fire out there just strike me as big flaws.

I hate being that guy trying to read into body language or taking visible emotion as a proxy for competitive spirit, but he looked like he was going through the motions and didn't look in the least bit upset after the game ended. Westbrook at least cares, even if neither his brain nor his body will cooperate with his will to win. But to circle back to the playing style, awful though it may be, the guy can put up 30 without breaking a sweat, have to give him that. He just doesn't seem to be able to put up a meaningful 30 points when it really counts.

Agreed

Harden is the hardest player to rank when you are ranking the top players in the league. Other than "drawing" fouls, there are a handful of NBA players who don't put up the numbers, but do a number of things better than him.

For me, Harden doesn't really pass the eyeball test for all time great for his generation. His numbers look like they are, but the player himself? Not sure. Put him on a team of his star and franchise player-level peers such as at an All Star game and he looks more pedestrian. Look at a crunch time situation of an All Star game when people defer to the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Kawhi, etc. He's not that Alpha type that stands out even though statistically, people do put him on that level. Harden's shooting doesn't really stand out. his athleticism and showmanship doesn't standout. His ability to make plays (besides going to the line) doesn't stand out. He doesn't do anything that makes you go wow, I want to go out and take my family to go see him play!.

I do understand that numbers do have a place and it wouldn't be fair to completely rule him out based on any measurement that excludes the numbers that he puts up. But that balancing act of using his numbers, or playing style, or overall talent to justify where he ranks amongst his peers makes it hard to rank him.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject:

Never liked him, not even in OKC from the bench. I really hate the way he uses and bends the rules to his advantage (same reason I never liked Wade). But I am afraid we will see a lot more of this.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

Hate it. He commits an offensive foul every time he goes to the the basket. It’s either a hook or nudge shove push off. Gets away with it 90% of the time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: