Mike D'Antoni won't return to Houston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

The Rockets need to dump Morey and his geek-oriented approach to basketball.

They still should be a fast-break team with Westbrook, but they ironically don't have the great 3-point shooters you need to shoot them as often as they do.

They were best off with the squad they had in '18 with CP3, Ariza and Capela. They played at a really slow pace back then, but they were a solid defensive team and CP3 was (still is) a great closer.

Harden and Westbrook, on the other hand, are chokers imo.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but if I was unfortunate enough to have been born a Rockets fan I would be wondering if trading Clint Capela was a good idea after watching LeBron and AD play big boy basketball against a bunch of 6-5 guys.

Morey may be overtinkering.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Good for both sides. Houston needs to re-tool and a new voice/system. MDA has taken that team as far as he could.

However, that all offense small/micro ball just won't work come playoffs. Never has and apparently never will. Then again, James Harden isn't a championship #1 either.

And yeah... that was an I quit before you can fire me.

Small ball worked great at GS, I think that it depends on personnel. Westbrook was a poor addition, he doesn’t excel at small ball or big ball, only at Westbrook solo ball. It will be interesting to see what MDA does in NO, he will have some guys there who can play defense.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Good for both sides. Houston needs to re-tool and a new voice/system. MDA has taken that team as far as he could.

However, that all offense small/micro ball just won't work come playoffs. Never has and apparently never will. Then again, James Harden isn't a championship #1 either.

Small ball worked great at GS, I think that it depends on personnel. Westbrook was a poor addition, he doesn’t excel at small ball or big ball, only at Westbrook solo ball. It will be interesting to see what MDA does in NO, he will have some guys there who can play defense.

GS is an outlier though, they had the benefit of having 2 of the greatest shooters of all time then a bunch of great role players to fill out the roster who knew there role and played it perfectly most nights (not to mention having Durant once he got there). They also had some legit size when needed and knew how to make small adjustments as a series went on.

It's kind of like saying a back to the basket center can't win you a Championship in todays NBA but then have a guy like Shaq enter the league and dominate to multiple Championships but it doesn't mean most other teams will still fail trying it.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Mege wrote:
I can see D'Antoni as an assistant coach for Nash next season.

A recipe for disaster. I hope Nash is smarter than that.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Force feeding a playing style just won't work in this league, IMO. You
have to be able to make adjustments.

I think Mike makes his formula work during the season, but the off
season is a different story because your opponent does make adjustments
in a 7 game series...

Harden is a great scorer to have but you need a team. I've never been
sold on Westbrook but that's just me.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:

GS is an outlier though, they had the benefit of having 2 of the greatest shooters of all time then a bunch of great role players to fill out the roster who knew there role and played it perfectly most nights (not to mention having Durant once he got there). They also had some legit size when needed and knew how to make small adjustments as a series went on.

It's kind of like saying a back to the basket center can't win you a Championship in todays NBA but then have a guy like Shaq enter the league and dominate to multiple Championships but it doesn't mean most other teams will still fail trying it.

State started McGee, Bogut and Pachulia in different seasons as their 5. Green would often start at 4, and Durant was their 3. Durant is 6-10. In certain situations, Green would slide over a position to 5 and Durant to 4. Durant has elite length and could block shots.

The Warriors also played a lot of midrange with Durant. They had maybe the best mid-range scorer in the game in KD. It was a balanced attack. They never played with a mindset of we will refuse to take mid-range shots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject:

happy we put the final nail into pringles time there.
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
hype wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:

State started McGee, Bogut and Pachulia in different seasons as their 5. Green would often start at 4, and Durant was their 3. Durant is 6-10. In certain situations, Green would slide over a position to 5 and Durant to 4. Durant has elite length and could block shots.

The Warriors also played a lot of midrange with Durant. They had maybe the best mid-range scorer in the game in KD. It was a balanced attack. They never played with a mindset of we will refuse to take mid-range shots.

GS doesn't play anything like Houston, aside from often eschewing a traditional center. The Warriors thrive on constant moving and passing, cutting, giving up the ball, getting it back on the move, multiple ball handlers, multiple playmakers. In some ways it's a lot closer to the way the last run of Spurs title contenders played than Houston. Just think about how Curry plays when he brings the ball up-you essentially never see him set-up ans start dribbling while the other 4 players move to their essentially stationary spots to give him options as he hunts threes or layups/free-throws. Curry makes quick decisions and if he passes or hands off he's moving immediately, scrambling defenses as he cuts towards the basket or curls around a secondary screen, or darts towards a corner, or-while the rest of his team also moves and passes at an extremely high rate of-not speed excactly, but change. It means that within GS's offense, multiple possibilities exist at a far greater rate than in an essentially static offense like Houston's. Sure, call them both small-ball teams, but thats just an easy, media-friendly label. They do NOT play the same.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: