Zo Signs With Klutch Sports
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epic_ wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Fisher finished at the rim at 45% career average
Zo shot 61% at the rim last season
Kobe shot 63% at the rim career average (yes, I know people guarded him way more intensely than Zo)

Kobe career eFG is 48%
Zo's career eFG is 48%

Obviously Zo is way less skilled than Kobe scoring... I only point this out to say he's not as terrible as people think and he's getting better.

If he could improve his FT shooting like Ingram he'd be a good investment

I love Lonzo.
But even I know you shouldn't compare a skill of his with Kobe's.
Side: don't you gotta compare efg and ts based on league average of the time especially when comparing from different eras?

I do believe he still has to work on how he takes off for layups. And how to use his body to shield defenders at the rim as well. I think these are things he can fix. He just needs to get consistent with his shot in general (ft and 3s) and he'll be set. He's got the instincts, smarts and vision to do well in the league if he improves on the above.

TS% league average has gone up a few percentage points since then.

But everyone being focused on scoring when the guy is a positive impact on the floor even without it? I don't get it.

Wait til the shooting comes around. Dude changed his form and it takes 2-4 years to get good results. He's in year 1 with proven 3pt results, but people mad/complain/whatever.

He is a positive on the floor no doubt.
However he has some glaring deficiencies, one of which seems mental.
Late in the 4th I think he is a bit of liability.
How much are you willing to pay for someone like him? Its a huge risk.

It's up to the organization to see if he's worth giving up FA 2021. I don't think he is. But he's certainly above a league average player. That's MLE money and the most LAL could afford anyway.

I don't see how he's a liability in the 4th. I guess it really was that long ago he was hitting crucial shots in late moments for LAL.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epic_ wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Kobe shot 63% at the rim career average (yes, I know people guarded him way more intensely than Zo)

Kobe career eFG is 48%
Zo's career eFG is 48%

Obviously Zo is way less skilled than Kobe scoring... I only point this out to say he's not as terrible as people think and he's getting better.

I love Lonzo.
Side: don't you gotta compare efg and ts based on league average of the time especially when comparing from different eras?

I do believe he still has to work on how he takes off for layups. And how to use his body to shield defenders at the rim as well. I think these are things he can fix. He just needs to get consistent with his shot in general (ft and 3s) and he'll be set. He's got the instincts, smarts and vision to do well in the league if he improves on the above.

But everyone being focused on scoring when the guy is a positive impact on the floor even without it? I don't get it.

Wait til the shooting comes around. Dude changed his form and it takes 2-4 years to get good results. He's in year 1 with proven 3pt results, but people mad/complain/whatever.

It's up to the organization to see if he's worth giving up FA 2021. I don't think he is. But he's certainly above a league average player. That's MLE money and the most LAL could afford anyway.

I don't see how he's a liability in the 4th. I guess it really was that long ago he was hitting crucial shots in late moments for LAL.

I remember him hitting a handful of big shots. I also remember him being visibly terrified to drive to the basket and shoot the ball. Then there was the fear of going to the FT line. On the surface he carries himself like he is supremely confident, but anyone can see he doubts himself during games.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epic_ wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Kobe career eFG is 48%
Zo's career eFG is 48%

I love Lonzo.

I remember him hitting a handful of big shots. I also remember him being visibly terrified to drive to the basket and shoot the ball. Then there was the fear of going to the FT line. On the surface he carries himself like he is supremely confident, but anyone can see he doubts himself during games.

I mean, Rondo does this now, so I question how much of a liability it actually is, especially when Lonzo has flashed the ability to attack and finish (I remember his last OKC game as a Laker) and the whole team was clutch and Lonzo was crucial.

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epic_ wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Kobe career eFG is 48%
Zo's career eFG is 48%

I love Lonzo.

I mean, Rondo does this now, so I question how much of a liability it actually is, especially when Lonzo has flashed the ability to attack and finish (I remember his last OKC game as a Laker) and the whole team was clutch and Lonzo was crucial.

With Rondo, he is a liability unless he plays like he has been the last few games. We don't want that from a young player like Zo. There is a reason Rondo was not a starter. We want consistency. All this is course is dependent on how much he is paid.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
I still believe in him. But trading for him would be tough, and mess with the "2021" plan. Plus he would have to be re-signed so your big piece along with AD/LBJ would essentially be Lonzo.

I agree. I just think, dude changed agencies for better mentorship, changed his jumpshot, already has results in year 1, has positive impact on a losing team, and people are like, "nah, he had his shot."

But I guess I don't give up on early age college kids, because that's usually when they have to make mistakes/grow.

He has to undo years and years of his dad's "training." I mean his dad obviously got some things right with 2 of his 3 kids going in the top 5 of the NBA draft. But Lonzo being the oldest meant he was the original experiment for his dad. I still think Lonzo can be a top 10 guard in this league one day.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epic_ wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Kobe career eFG is 48%
Zo's career eFG is 48%

I love Lonzo.

Zo need to stop being cute with his off hand around the basket. The athleticism above the rim in this level is through the roof. He need to attack the rim with full throttle.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
I still believe in him. But trading for him would be tough, and mess with the "2021" plan. Plus he would have to be re-signed so your big piece along with AD/LBJ would essentially be Lonzo.

I agree. I just think, dude changed agencies for better mentorship, changed his jumpshot, already has results in year 1, has positive impact on a losing team, and people are like, "nah, he had his shot."

But I guess I don't give up on early age college kids, because that's usually when they have to make mistakes/grow.

He has to undo years and years of his dad's "training." I mean his dad obviously got some things right with 2 of his 3 kids going in the top 5 of the NBA draft. But Lonzo being the oldest meant he was the original experiment for his dad. I still think Lonzo can be a top 10 guard in this league one day.

I'm not even setting expectations that high haha. I just think he can be a 2-way high end versatile starter for a playoff team, and that means A LOT.

I've never really thought of him as a franchise player.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Zo need to stop being cute with his off hand around the basket

He finishes around the hoop better with the left.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I'm not even setting expectations that high haha. I just think he can be a 2-way high end versatile starter for a playoff team, and that means A LOT.

I just keep envisioning him as a Draymond Green type of "weird fit/unique skillset" guy who plugs in so many holes in an unconventional manner. He obviously doesn't have the dog in him like Dray does, but he has so many interesting skills (and lacks traditional ones like finishing at the rim, mid-range games).
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I just keep envisioning him as a Draymond Green type of "weird fit/unique skillset" guy who plugs in so many holes in an unconventional manner. He obviously doesn't have the dog in him like Dray does, but he has so many interesting skills (and lacks traditional ones like finishing at the rim, mid-range games).

i disagree... if Lonzo would get the heart and grit of Dray he would be on another level.

maybe i havent seen enough
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I look at Zo as having the potential to be a plus defender who also helps get his teammates better looks without being ball dominant or needing a lot of shots. In the right situation, that can be super valuable (and very Draymond like).

Team pace, ball movement, expert passing, eventually good 3pt shot. You just can’t ask him to be a top of the arc PnR player, meaning you need other guys who can do that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

i disagree... if Lonzo would get the heart and grit of Dray he would be on another level.

maybe i havent seen enough

Remember Dray entered the league when he was 22. He had a few lackluster years and at age 24 he had his first breakout year.

I've already said Zo doesn't have that dog that Dray does, but functionally they are similar low usage/high impact type players.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I see the comparison, but Green's game starts with elite level defense. Ball is a good defender, but not elite. If it weren't for the "dog" in Green, which makes him an elite defender, would his skillset be enough to make him a star in the NBA? I doubt it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

The intrigue for me is, the skills he needs to learn, are the easiest ones. Spot up jumper. Pull up jumper.

If he did basic role player things well in terms of scoring, the benefits from his defense/playmaking make his impact basically double.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I see the comparison, but Green's game starts with elite level defense. Ball is a good defender, but not elite. If it weren't for the "dog" in Green, which makes him an elite defender, would his skillset be enough to make him a star in the NBA? I doubt it.

Right. However, I'd have to give him a few more years. Dray entered the NBA at age 22, which is where Zo is. It wasn't until a few years that Dray started shining. I can't really write Zo off just yet in terms of him being an elite defender.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

The intrigue for me is, the skills he needs to learn, are the easiest ones. Spot up jumper. Pull up jumper.

If he did basic role player things well in terms of scoring, the benefits from his defense/playmaking make his impact basically double.

Spot on.

I did notice improved shot mechanics.

His coaches literally have had to undo years of Lavar ball style training.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject:

Think of a Marcus Smart type effect on D. Zo can be that, but so much more because he's a much better point. He improved on his 3 last season 37.5% which is very good.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Think of a Marcus Smart type effect on D. Zo can be that, but so much more because he's a much better point. He improved on his 3 last season 37.5% which is very good.

Zo will never be as tough as Smart is. To think we almost had him instead of Randle.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Right. However, I'd have to give him a few more years. Dray entered the NBA at age 22, which is where Zo is. It wasn't until a few years that Dray started shining. I can't really write Zo off just yet in terms of him being an elite defender.

Let’s be real - if Draymond was not on the Warriors and surrounded by two of the best shooter of all-time, he wouldn’t be close to an all-star and would be a major offensive liability.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Zo need to stop being cute with his off hand around the basket

He finishes around the hoop better with the left.

Everytime I catch one of their games, he botched those gimmes. It’s like watching Kwame and remembering what Lantz said about him, about million dollar move and a nickel finish. Zo can attack the rim in a straight line drive. It’s like those alley hoops , just finish it strong.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure. But the present discussion is about bringing Ball back to the Lakers. He might blossom into an elite defender in a few years, or he might plateau as a good but not elite defender. He might continue to improve his shooting to the point that his passing and shooting make him a plus on offense, or he might plateau as a substandard shooter with passing skills. I can see how a rebuilding team might invest in Ball. That's not us, though. Or at least I hope it isn't us.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Let’s be real - if Draymond was not on the Warriors and surrounded by two of the best shooter of all-time, he wouldn’t be close to an all-star and would be a major offensive liability.

So Zo with 2 elite bigs in Bron/Brow might be ok, starter version of Rondo
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Zo will never be as tough as Smart is. To think we almost had him instead of Randle.

Not only as tough, but Smart is massive compared to Zo. Insane comparison.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

Kobe career eFG is 48%
Zo's career eFG is 48%

Kobe worked hard at his craft all time on and off the court; this kids seems like a slacker; IF he decides to play the game every minute he's on the floor sure but that's not what he's done.

AND Kobe was Kobe, we'd need to look way beyond just the numbers...
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Not only as tough, but Smart is massive compared to Zo. Insane comparison.

Marcus Smart is a far better player than Lonzo. I mean, some of you are really smoking the Lonzo stuff. He's not going to be worth $15-18 million a year that he will be seeking. No f***n way. For $4 mil, perhaps......a lot of better players to be targeting for that price.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12
Jump to: