WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS 2020 DISCUSSION - Lakers vs Nuggets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject:

Howard and Green may be really big keys for us in this series, covering Jokic and Murray. It will be interesting to see how the Nuggets plan to play Lebron, when he is isolated at the top of the key. Nuggets have a lot of energy going into our series, but I think our will to win makes this a 5 or 6 game series for us.

Hoping Miami-Boston goes seven, especially since they will have played two games before we even start.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject:

I don't like to make outlandish predictions, but, from what i've seen so far, Lakers in 4! No disrespect to the Nuggets though. They played their hearts out coming back from 3-1 down twice in a row! I just don't think they have much left for the Lakers, and, even at their best, the Nuggets have very little chance of matching up with the Lakers. LeBron will destroy that team, and AD will have a field day with Jokic.
Petty Valiant
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:

Denver is a problem. To overlook them is dangerous. That being said, I got Lakers in 6. Jokic will be forced to play defense against AD, something he didn’t have to do last series. I don’t know who they think is stopping LeBron. But our shooters have got to make shots consistently once again.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject:

The last time the Nuggets played in the Conference Finals (2009) was also against the Lakers. The Lakers won that series, then the NBA Finals—in Orlando.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
The last time the Nuggets played in the Conference Finals (2009) was also against the Lakers. The Lakers won that series, then the NBA Finals—in Orlando.

And the Lakers beat the Rockets in the 2nd round.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject:

I remember Dwight doing a good job bodying up Jokic, but how did McGee do?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
I remember Dwight doing a good job bodying up Jokic, but how did McGee do?

Not good.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject:

i think we should have morris start over McGee and play Dwight off the bench on plumplee
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject:

AD is a good match up for Jokic. AD has even more guard skills than Jokic, so he's pretty comfortable out in the perimeter if Jokic wants to play that game. TV commentator last night (might of been Mark Jackson) said it correct, don't double team Jokic on every catch, let him score. i don't think he's a volume score, he's much efficient at mixing up passing and scoring.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Leif wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Another series I wish we had Avery Bradley for. I think Jamal Murray will light up KCP for 35+ a couple times.

I've underestimated Denver every series up to this point. I think we should sweep them. But realistically speaking. I guess we win in 6.

Lakers already dealt with explosive scorers with Harden, Lillard. They just need to bring that defensive intensity they closed out the Rockets with and don't blow leads.

Not just about the Nuggets explosive scorers. They are playing relaxed as a team. They are getting quality contributions from role players. Several players have hit big shots, not just Murray and Jokic.

Up to the Lakers to play with intensity for the full 48 mins. Nuggets are inconsistent and have been all season. Lakers defense needs to be locked in and keep them out of their comfort zone. When the Nuggets get in a flow they can be a dangerous team.

This Nuggets team is playoff tested, has good chemistry and feeling overlooked. The Lakers will need to beat them because they will not collapse.

Should be a great series. 8 wins to go.

I see some parallels between the Rockets-Lakers and Clippers-Nuggets series.

If you remember, in game 3 the Rockets came out firing and lead by 3 at the half. Lebron "willed" the team on his back to keep them in it and had 4 blocks in the 3rd quarter. That just took the "heart" out of the rockets I think. And in game 5, the Rockets try to go on a run, but it was shut down again taking whatever they had left in their "heart" away.

The Clippers had similar opportunities against the Nuggets..the Nuggets had plenty of "heart"..but the Clippers didn't have someone like Lebron to "will" their team against that effort. Instead of tightening up their defense when the Nuggets started to go on their run, they gave up open 3 point shoots and kept their momentum.

Point I am saying is I think the Lakers can put the Nuggets on their backs at certain times and the Nuggets will push back..but unlike the Clippers we have guys like Lebron who never feel comfortable no matter how big the lead..he even says in interviews, he expects the other team to make a run.

I think the Clippers taught they could deliver a knockout "Mike Tyson" punch and the other team would go away.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject:

We have different players that can matchup up Jokic. Even Lebron does a good job staying in position. He’s the key for the Nuggets offensive rhythm. He can pick apart a team defensively. We should man him up one on one and rotate our bigs. Our biggest challenge would be Murray who can go off if he get into that zone. He’s dynamic, triple threat and can create a lot of attention and can break down the defense . We should play him like Harden..
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

I didn’t see the only Nuggets/Lakers matchup in restart.

The box score shows that Anthony, Kyle and LeBron recorded very good numbers and Jokic and Murray had subpar numbers. Yet, the Lakers only won by three points.

Can someone give me their analysis of this game and why the final score was so close?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are not a typical playoff team. Typically we think of the playoffs as two great teams giving their “A” game. One team plays their best but the other team was just better. The Lakers just need a D- game. No one can beat them unless every single one of them has an off night.

That said, Lakers in 4 unless they take game 1 off again.
Roki49
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:

The box score shows that Anthony, Kyle and LeBron recorded very good numbers and Jokic and Murray had subpar numbers. Yet, the Lakers only won by three points.

Can someone give me their analysis of this game and why the final score was so close?

In general, Denver didn't miss any 3pt shot in 4Q and they played their bench whole Q as far, as I remember . And Lakers were sloppy...
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

Just realised Lakers playing on Friday, and they are playing ECF and WCF games on alternating days. Man that's quite a bit of rest and rust-building for the Lakers, if shots are not falling the team better double down on the defensive end and turn up the effort
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

Clippers would have been a exciting match up but there overall lack of chemistry and the fact that Lou admitted that he was out of it mentally in the bubble we likely would have swept the Clippers or won the series in 5 games, Nuggets are gonna be our toughest test so far, the Nuggets like playing for each other and they have very good depth to match up with our bench, it should be a fun series.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject:

The X-Factor for this series, when it comes to the Nuggets, will be Jokic and who we match up with him. Jokic is also in much better shape as well which is why I think the regular season is irrelevant and what happened there.

Houston caused us issues all season but we figured them out in 1 game in the playoffs. That 'time off' probably helped a lot more players than it hurt in retrospect.

But Murray won't show us anything different than we saw with Lillard. So thats why the matchup difference will be what Jokic does. If we matchup McGee with him I think Jokic will eat. But I think their plan is going to be to pull our bigs from the interior to the perimeter and Jokic is one of the few centers that can do that.

Denver right now though is the only team I'd worry about having a 3-1 lead on.

Last edited by MJST on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:

Wouldn’t put much stock in the warm up games. Both teams playing much better with every playoff win.

IMO both can be inconsistent. In both defensive energy and making shots. Both are capable of getting or giving back big leads. The team that can stay focused and within their game plans the most will win.

In this sustained intensity, I give the edge to the Lakers. But the Nuggets have surprised with their contributions from role players when they need it most. From a depth and role player impact I give the edge to the Nuggets.

I think it is going to be a great series. Can’t wait until Friday.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

Petty Valiant wrote:
Denver is a problem. To overlook them is dangerous. That being said, I got Lakers in 6. Jokic will be forced to play defense against AD, something he didn’t have to do last series. I don’t know who they think is stopping LeBron. But our shooters have got to make shots consistently once again.

That's how I see it. A lot of people have underrated Denver, but in the end they don't appear to matchup well with us. But the Nuggets are a gritty team, and they'll make us pay if we don't bring our A game.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:

We got bombed by their bench players. Our defense was just awful. Here's DB's write-up, with a dialogue between us in the comments:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=189877

As DB says, we were giving playing time to guys like Waiters who wouldn't play much in the playoffs. Thankfully, he was right. I have memories of Monte Freaking Morris blowing past our defense like it was a layup drill.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject:

On defense; Play Jokic straight up don't double him. He's a passer, not a scorer. If you double him he'll find the open man, hit the cutter. Stay home. He'll get 12 15, OK. Defend the pick and roll. Double Murray, make him a passer. Can't let him get 40. Game 1 is very important, it'll set a tone.

Our shooters have to make shots. If we rely solely on Bron we won't win the series. AD has to make the mid range jumper and play a strong low post game. Charge the rim, try to get Jokic in foul trouble early.

Honestly, I'm glad we're playing the Nuggets instead of the Clippers. The Nuggets surprised the Clippers. The Lakers are going to benefit from that.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 am; edited 3 times in total
KGB
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Back to "Regular" center rotation?

I think we go back to our "regular" center rotation (start Javale / rotate in Dwight), and see what happens. Jokic still seems to get tired pretty easily. Single cover Jokic, and give him different looks from Javale, Dwight, AD and Lebron. Actually, I think Lebron would cover Jokic best, if we could spare him in that role. Lillard is still a better guard than Murray, and we handled Damian quite nicely, I thought.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The X-Factor for this series, when it comes to the Nuggets, will be Jokic and who we match up with him. Jokic is also in much better shape as well which is why I think the regular season is irrelevant and what happened there.

Houston caused us issues all season but we figured them out in 1 game in the playoffs. That 'time off' probably helped a lot more players than it hurt in retrospect.

But Murray won't show us anything different than we saw with Lillard. So thats why the matchup difference will be what Jokic does. If we matchup McGee with him I think Jokic will eat. But I think their plan is going to be to pull our bigs from the interior to the perimeter and Jokic is one of the few centers that can do that.

Denver right now though is the only team I'd worry about having a 3-1 lead on.

If they plan to pull out bigs then we should play small and Lebron guard him from the high post and AD as the last line of defense and vice versa. But put Morris first. Then in offense, Morris will lure him out. Grant will be guarding Lebron so it’s an open lane for our cutters and slashers. This is a 4th quarter move though.

I think Denver will try to establish Jokic first in the low post to lure us into double teaming him and let Murray do his thing and get into the rhythm. The X Factor for them is Michael Porter. His 3 ball is wet when he square up.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

Clippers had 0 chemistry and were mentally soft. I fully expect us to dominate the nuggets. I see this series going 5 at most.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Clippers had 0 chemistry and were mentally soft. I fully expect us to dominate the nuggets. I see this series going 5 at most.

The curse of Donald T. Sterling.
I hope the Lakers don't think like you. Obviously the Clippers did. Don't underestimate the Nuggets.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 5 of 27
Jump to: