Did Jerry West Screw The Clippers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Come on, guys. Let's not be mean. Let the Clippers fans dream. That's all they really have these days

Yes, defending the GOAT GM Jerry West against slander and not falling prey to prisoner of the moment overreactions totally makes me a "Clippers fan". You guys sound like political fanatics that call anyone an "Alt right Nazi" or a "Marxist Communist" simply for having a difference of opinion.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Wow. What a doo-doo thread. Jerry West isn't "likely to be touted as one of the best executives in NBA history"... He IS the GOAT EXECUTIVE IN NBA HISTORY (and it's not even close). Hell, he's arguably the GOAT All-Around NBA PERSON since he's had success in every realm (player, GM, coach).

1 - As much as I hate to admit it, Arnold "Red" Auerbach is the GOAT exec. https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/auerbre99x.html

2 - Bill Sharman acquired Kareem, Magic, Nixon, Cooper, the pick that became James Worthy and hired Pat Riley. West gets credit for extending Showtime and building the Shaq-Kobe Lakers (which is a great legacy), but he inherited a Rolls Royce.

3 - West was not a great coach.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject:

West is like that uncle who went to the joint for doing bad things (Clippers), but you still love him anyway, because he is family.

But I wonder deep down...…..did West set this up with the Clippers, with the potential for it to go South, and then have their future screwed, as possible lottery picks now will be going to OKC?

It's the kind of thing Phil would have done as a coach, playing chess 5-6 moves ahead of everyone else...
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Clippers are going to have to spend $15+m on Marcus Morris and another $18-20m on Trez.

It will be interesting to see how they try to improve because it isn't clear what the team needs to take that next step.

Trez is gonna get 18-20 after getting his pants pulled down in the playoffs??

I don't think so.

I don't even see how a team pays Marcus Morris 15 mil quite frankly.

I can see a lower ranked team paying Trez his money. He was coming off an injury heading into the Playoffs. Trez has yet to be paid, I can see him going to some place like the Phoenix Suns to be paid, and I can see the Suns paying him. I don't see him accepting a pittance to stay at this Clippers team next year.

Trez is going to get paid. He was unhappy with Seattle and he is going to bolt. His departure will be a big void that they will not be able to fill.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject:

Some don’t seem to get it. The reason I’m guessing OP made this thread is because Jerry West gets the positive credit for everything his name has been attached to. But he never gets the blame. Kind of a “Golden Boy” who can do no wrong. People give him credit without knowing his level of involvement. He absolutely can deserve the blame as well.

Where was he to block the PG trade like when he blocked the trade for Kevin Love?
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

I mean all Executive people make mistakes. Some are long lasting than another.

But, boy, this is one long lasting one. It can only be saved with "Clipper win a championship" and "next year."
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Some don’t seem to get it. The reason I’m guessing OP made this thread is because Jerry West gets the positive credit for everything his name has been attached to. But he never gets the blame. Kind of a “Golden Boy” who can do no wrong. People give him credit without knowing his level of involvement. He absolutely can deserve the blame as well.

Where was he to block the PG trade like when he blocked the trade for Kevin Love?

Thou shalt not criticize St. West.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

West almost never takes credit, far more often saying he is just offering advice to the actual decision makers. Rivers was reported to have pressed Ballmer to make the George deal to land Kawhi and keep him from the Lakers. Word was put out that Rivers was a major draw for Kawhi.

Doc was the one who did the ‘I made this happen’ thing.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
West almost never takes credit, far more often saying he is just offering advice to the actual decision makers. Rivers was reported to have pressed Ballmer to make the George deal to land Kawhi and keep him from the Lakers. Word was put out that Rivers was a major draw for Kawhi.

Doc was the one who did the ‘I made this happen’ thing.

IMO, the Clippers hired Jerry West simply to embarrass the Lakers. I doubt if he has much say.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
I wont go that far, because in the Clippers brass mind it was all that to get PG13 to ensure KL signed. They wouldn't get one without the other.

With that said I'm good with LBJ and AD. If the Clippers had those two they would be in the WCF

And that, my friends, is a fact

Yep, 100% correct!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Wow. What a doo-doo thread. Jerry West isn't "likely to be touted as one of the best executives in NBA history"... He IS the GOAT EXECUTIVE IN NBA HISTORY (and it's not even close). Hell, he's arguably the GOAT All-Around NBA PERSON since he's had success in every realm (player, GM, coach).

Get out of here with your unchecked saltyness. We could've had West FOR LIFE had it not been for Dr Buss/Phil Jackson disrespecting him and pushing him out during his first stint, and then Magic's ego REFUSING to bring him back when he wanted to come back according to all accounts. What's Jerry supposed to do? Retire and wither away and die, just so that bitter Lakers fans like you wouldn't feel salty about him joining our cross-town rivals?

Yep.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

Jerry West made his own bed. sure Dr. Buss might of screw him up but that was 20+ years ago. West has been on the revenge tour against Lakers organization ever since. don't feel sorry for him, he still hates the Buss family after all these years.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jerry West made his own bed. sure Dr. Buss might of screw him up but that was 20+ years ago. West has been on the revenge tour against Lakers organization ever since.

You're aware Jerry West wanted to come back to the Lakers organization right? and Jeanie was the one that prevented that from happening. The only reason West is on the Clippers currently is because the Lakers denied him a return to be here with his son.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

I will say this, when you have a basketball mind like Jerry West working to reverse the curse of the Clippers franchise and they still come up awfully short, the basketball gods must have a divine plan for the Clippers not to be great....EVER!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject:

Come home Jerry. Jeanie/Buss family, let bygones be bygones!

(though West is also notoriously stubborn, and I doubt the Buss family can afford his price at this point).
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Totally fair. Only thing is that it's random internet posters and talking heads that give him the credit and deify him; I've never heard JW claim any credit for the Clippers' moves. (Sure there's that one story about Magic's Zubac gift, but then I'd have laughed for joy too if I was in his place).
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

Jerry West>>>>>>Jeanie Buss

1. A.C. Green
2. Vlade Divac
3. Elden Campbell
4. Ceballos for Horry
5. Nick Van Exel
6. The trade dump of Lynch and Peeler to free up cap space and letting Vancouver be the suckers
7. Trade with Charlotte for Kobe
8. Derek Fisher
9. Blocking the Tarpley/Aguirre for Worthy trade
10. Nixon for Scott

these were all West

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Come home Jerry. Jeanie/Buss family, let bygones be bygones!

(though West is also notoriously stubborn, and I doubt the Buss family can afford his price at this point).

They cannot afford his ego. When West wants to speak it into existence, thy will be done.

But West put that team in a great situation to win it all. Unfortunately their go to guys failed to deliver and Doc got out coach again.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jerry West made his own bed. sure Dr. Buss might of screw him up but that was 20+ years ago. West has been on the revenge tour against Lakers organization ever since.

You're aware Jerry West wanted to come back to the Lakers organization right? and Jeanie was the one that prevented that from happening. The only reason West is on the Clippers currently is because the Lakers denied him a return to be here with his son.

Yes West could have done managing and keeping our young guys who blossom somewhere else. He would have manage to off load Deng deadweight contract with non winning type of players like Jules.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Yes West could have done managing and keeping our young guys who blossom somewhere else. He would have manage to off load Deng deadweight contract with non winning type of players like Jules.

He would have signed LBJ. Maybe he could have talked PG13 into joining? Then I think he would have traded for AD.

I can't imagine him standing pat with a team of DLO/BI/Zo to be honest.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

As opposed to Pelinka, who signed Lebron, traded for AD and has us in the WCF?

I love Jerry West. He cashed Laker checks from 1960 until 2000. His kids then cashed Laker checks until 2019.

He had an incredible run, he did amazing things for this franchise.

That Lakers don't owe him a thing.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

He would have signed LBJ. Maybe he could have talked PG13 into joining? Then I think he would have traded for AD.

I can't imagine him standing pat with a team of DLO/BI/Zo to be honest.

West was enamored with DLo so I think that’s the player he would have kept or try to keep at least. But getting Lebron means one thing, young core is gone. I think us able to keep Kuz was understatement.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

The Shaq signing I did not give credit to Jerry West because that was mostly Jerry Buss (and his great poker talent with his tremendous intelligence - I would be surprised if his IQ was not greater than 140) although West closed the deal with his rapport with the Diesel. If it was solely up to Jerry West, he would have panicked that Mutombo had already signed with the Hawks, Mourning has resigned in Miami and Shaq was taking his sweet ass time and very easily pivoted to Dale Davis or Brian Williams.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

As opposed to Pelinka, who signed Lebron, traded for AD and has us in the WCF?

I love Jerry West. He cashed Laker checks from 1960 until 2000. His kids then cashed Laker checks until 2019.

He had an incredible run, he did amazing things for this franchise.

That Lakers don't owe him a thing.

Pelinca has not done anything to impress me. Seems like Lebron is our GM as he architect the makeup of this team. Post Lebron, we shall have a better assessment on Pelinca and his capabilities.

West earned and deserved everything. He’s a Laker for life and I’m pretty sure purple and gold run through his veins . The Memphis fire sale and the availability of Gasol came from him.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

If you take credit when things go right, you should take blame when things go wrong. I didn't credit West much for building this Clipper team, so I'm not going to blame him much now. But if people were praising him for building it, and I believe there was at least one such poster on this forum, they should be fair and acknowledge his failure now. The talent was there, but there were problems with chemistry both from a basketball and personality standpoint.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: