The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1465, 1466, 1467 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers considers Elgin Baylor a champion and gave him a ring for the 71-72 season. So he checks both boxes.

LeBron won't have his jersey retired if he doesn't win a championship.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
I think he’s already punched his ticket to the rafters before the Finals begin.

Any on our rafter ringless as a Lakers?

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

The only stated criteria from the team that I’ve heard is that they only hang HOFers. You think the org doesn’t want one of the greatest of all time up there?

Elgin was awarded a ring for the 9 games he played in the 71-72 season.

"Retirement
Baylor finally retired nine games into the 1971–72 season because of his nagging knee problems. The timing of his retirement caused him to miss two great achievements—the Lakers' next game after his retirement was the first of an NBA-record 33 consecutive wins,[11] and then the Lakers went on to win the NBA championship that season. The Lakers awarded Baylor a 1972 Championship Ring even though he had retired earlier."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgin_Baylor#Retirement

#BannersOverBillboards
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

The only stated criteria from the team that I’ve heard is that they only hang HOFers. You think the org doesn’t want one of the greatest of all time up there?

"Retirement
Baylor finally retired nine games into the 1971–72 season because of his nagging knee problems. The timing of his retirement caused him to miss two great achievements—the Lakers' next game after his retirement was the first of an NBA-record 33 consecutive wins,[11] and then the Lakers went on to win the NBA championship that season. The Lakers awarded Baylor a 1972 Championship Ring even though he had retired earlier."

That was nice of them and all but he still didn’t win a ring. He definitely deserves to be up there regardless.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

That was nice of them and all but he still didn’t win a ring. He definitely deserves to be up there regardless.

I wasnt alive yet so I dont know.

Regardless he has a ring, is in the hall, and is on the wall...I'm just sharing facts.

If you want to dismiss them to fit a narrative feel free.

#BannersOverBillboards
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Lebron, who will you target late game?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject:

No rebounds...no ring.

No ring...no rafters.

No exceptions...

Cant be a Laker great without the hardware.

#BannersOverBillboards
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

Regardless he has a ring, is in the hall, and is on the wall...I'm just sharing facts.

I would respect the take as a principled stance but that goes out the window when you want to give Elgin a pass because of a technicality. He didn’t win a championship with us, and he absolutely deserves to be up there.

It’s a moot point anyway. Your criteria isn’t the team’s criteria. He’s going to be up there regardless.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Lebron, who will you target late game?

offensively, he'd try to get switches onto Herro, Duncan, and probably Dragic
Heat have some really really weak defenders that they were able to hide from the Celts with that gimmick upside down zone they played
that ain't gonna fly against LBJ, AD, and company
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

I would respect the take as a principled stance but that goes out the window when you want to give Elgin a pass because of a technicality. He didn’t win a championship with us, and he absolutely deserves to be up there.

So he doesn't have a championship ring with us?

I'm not going to argue a fact...you have a right to say he didnt win one.

Neither did Chick technically..he never won one but he has 11 rings.

The Lakers are about championships.

We only hang world championship banners.

We only retire HoF champions.

Baylor meets those criteria even if only barely.

He has a ring.

#BannersOverBillboards
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

Narrative? What are you talking about?

“ Have won a ring with us.” Those are your words. I was just pointing out that you can indeed get into the rafters without those arbitrary qualifications that you made up in order to get your jersey retired.

Elgin didn’t win a ring. He was given a ring as a lifetime achievement award…and it doesn’t matter. He’s one of the greatest Lakers of all time and deserves everything that he got.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

It’s a moot point anyway. Your criteria isn’t the team’s criteria. He’s going to be up there regardless.

This.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

“ Have won a ring with us.” Those are your words. I was just pointing out that you can indeed get into the rafters without those arbitrary qualifications that you made up in order to get your jersey retired.

Elgin didn’t win a ring. He was given a ring as a lifetime achievement award…and it doesn’t matter. He’s one of the greatest Lakers of all time and deserves everything that he got.

The question is criteria for getting your number retired.

Jeannie has said one criteria is HoF status.

The other criteria according to Kobe is championships.

I'm sure none of us work for the Lakers or know the exact criteria, if one even exists.

Im simply stating facts.

1. Every person in the rafters has at least 1 ring.

2. Every person is in the HoF.

Do with those facts whatever you like...Elgin has a ring...this is an indisputable fact.

How much he contribu6to that ring is open for debate...but it doesn't change the fact that he has one and therefore checks both boxes.

That's all I'm saying.

Is he deserving without one? IDK, he retired before I was born and the Lakers seem pretty focused on winning championships.

The question was if anyone in the rafters is up there without a ring.

The answer is no.

If you want to take it personally or form a narrative or dismiss it go right ahead. I honestly dont care.

Elgin retired because he couldn't go, not because he quit...that seems like a legit ring in my book. Lifetime achievement or not.

#BannersOverBillboards
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

He has a ring.

So if the Lakers just decided to give Lebron an honorary ring he didn’t earn you’d be ok with it and he’d suddenly be worthy? This is silly.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

He has a ring.

So if the Lakers just decided to give Lebron an honorary ring he didn’t earn you’d be ok with it and he’d suddenly be worthy? This is silly.

If he had 14 years of service...hall of fame credentials...and retired during the season due to injury in a season that we won it all...100% absolutely.

If a player suffers a season ending injury and the team wins a ring doesn't he still get one?

Why is this even an issue?

Elgin has a ring and y'all trying to take it away to be right.

#BannersOverBillboards
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Arguing that Elgin Baylor meets the criteria because he has a ring is asinine. Elgin is a HoFer, who deserves to be up there. The fact that the Lakers were kind enough to award a ring to a player that missed almost the entire season and all of the playoffs in no way, shape, or form contributes to his legitimacy for hanging in the rafters. Unless trolling, no one considers Elgin Baylor to be a champion despite the fact that he was awarded a ring after retirement.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

This.

I like both of you as community members...let me just say that upfront.

Now...can you please provide us the link from the Lakers about criteria for getting your number retired?

I'll say right now I dont work for the team and I dont know for sure.

I'm just going by what Jeannie and Kobe have said and the fact that everyone in the rafters has at least 1 ring and is in the Hall.

#BannersOverBillboards
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

The question is criteria for getting your number retired.

Jeannie has said one criteria is HoF status.

The other criteria according to Kobe is championships.

I'm sure none of us work for the Lakers or know the exact criteria, if one even exists.

Im simply stating facts.

1. Every person in the rafters has at least 1 ring.

2. Every person is in the HoF.

Do with those facts whatever you like...Elgin has a ring...this is an indisputable fact.

How much he contribu6to that ring is open for debate...but it doesn't change the fact that he has one and therefore checks both boxes.

That's all I'm saying.

Is he deserving without one? IDK, he retired before I was born and the Lakers seem pretty focused on winning championships.

The question was if anyone in the rafters is up there without a ring.

The answer is no.

If you want to take it personally or form a narrative or dismiss it go right ahead. I honestly dont care.

Elgin retired because he couldn't go, not because he quit...that seems like a legit ring in my book. Lifetime achievement or not.

Again with this “narrative” BS. You said you needed to win a ring. This is obviously false. Move the goalposts all you want.

You said something incorrect and wanna try to make it sound like I’m dissing one of our all time greats? Bull (bleep). Take that noise somewhere else.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

He has a ring.

If he had 14 years of service...hall of fame credentials...and retired during the season due to injury in a season that we won it all...100% absolutely.

If a player suffers a season ending injury and the team wins a ring doesn't he still get one?

The goalposts are moving at such a torrid pace. Now you need 14 years service?

So to be clear, LeBron is currently not worthy. BUT, if he loses the finals this year and retires after 9 games next year and we win he will then become worthy?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Arguing that Elgin Baylor meets the criteria because he has a ring is asinine. Elgin is a HoFer, who deserves to be up there. The fact that the Lakers were kind enough to award a ring to a player that missed almost the entire season and all of the playoffs in no way, shape, or form contributes to his legitimacy for hanging in the rafters. Unless trolling, no one considers Elgin Baylor to be a champion despite the fact that he was awarded a ring after retirement.

It’s trolling. The ironic thing is it’s actually insulting to Elgin to base his legitimacy on the stupid 9 games he played before retiring and not his legendary career before it. According to Cervantes, without those 9 games, his career isn’t worthy of recognition.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

Seriously?

I'm trolling?

Y'all trying to take away Elgin's ring and I'm trolling?

Let me be clear and leave it here.

1. This is the dumbest argument in the history of LG.

2. The question was does anyone in the rafters not have a ring.

3. The answer is no. Both Elgin and Chick have rings.

4. Thus lends itself to the reasonable conclusion that to get up there you need to have rings and HoF status...because everyone does.

5. This wasnt an argument about whether Elgin earned it or whether or not he was worthy without one...but 3 of y'all have moved the goal posts to a new topic...and I have repeatedly said IDK about that.

Fact 1 all retired Lakers in the rafters are in the Hall

Fact 2 all retired Lakers in the rafters have at least 1 ring

Can someone get to the rafters without being in the Hall or having a ring? Ask Jeannie because so far no one has.

If me defending a factually proven bit of info is trolling then there is no point to discuss anything because you havent yet experienced the unbridled joy of disagreements being ok.

Y'all can debate whether Elgin was a champion or not...I'm just saying he has a ring.

Im not debating any of you three.

I'm just stating facts that are ruffling your feathers for some inexplicable reason.

#BannersOverBillboards
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Seriously?

I'm trolling?

4. Thus lends itself to the reasonable conclusion that to get up there you need to have rings and HoF status...because everyone does.

5. This wasnt an argument about whether Elgin earned it or whether or not he was worthy without one...but 3 of y'all have moved the goal posts to a new topic...and I have repeatedly said IDK about that.

Can someone get to the rafters without being in the Hall or having a ring? Ask Jeannie because so far no one has.

If me defending a factually proven bit of info is trolling then there is no point to discuss anything because you havent yet experienced the unbridled joy of disagreements being ok.

Y'all can debate whether Elgin was a champion or not...I'm just saying he has a ring.

I'm just stating facts that are ruffling your feathers for some inexplicable reason.

Quote:
Nope. To get to our rafters you have to have 2 things

1. Be in the HoF.

2. Have won a ring with us.

You said this. We said that it’s not true. That’s it. That’s the end of the discussion. It didn’t have to go any further than this. I have no idea how it did.

Anyway it’s midnight and I’m tired. We’re in the Finals and Lebron is awesome. Goodnight LG!

Last edited by Beir32 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yes. Elgin Baylor.

"Retirement

He has a ring.

The goalposts are moving at such a torrid pace. Now you need 14 years service?

So to be clear, LeBron is currently not worthy. BUT, if he loses the finals this year and retires after 9 games next year and we win he will then become worthy?

The key to understanding is comparing apples to apples.

If you want to speak for me go ahead and be wrong. I have fun watching that.

If you want to converse and something doesnt make sense just ask me to clarify rather than jump to outrage and hyperbole...I'm always happy to elucidate my point of view and also admit where I'm wrong.

Remember this started with someone asking can you get to the rafters without a ring...and so far no one has...these are facts free from goal post matriculation.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Seriously?

I'm trolling?

Quote:

1. Be in the HoF.

You said this. We said that it’s not true. That’s it. That’s the end of the discussion. It didn’t have to go any further than this. I have no idea how I’d did.

Anyway it’s midnight and I’m tired. We’re in the Finals and Lebron is awesome. Goodnight LG!

Elgin won a ring with us...that's why he has one even though y'all think he shouldnt.

Good night. Thanks for the meaninglessness debate...perhaps we'll be more on the same wave length on a different topic.

#BannersOverBillboards
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
The Lakers considers Elgin Baylor a champion and gave him a ring for the 71-72 season. So he checks both boxes.

LeBron won't have his jersey retired if he doesn't win a championship.

Lots of people who weren't champions have been given rings. Heck, the Cavs offered a ring to Anderson Varejao who was on the team they beat (the Cavs traded him mid season).

The bottom line there is no official criteria for who the Lakers retire.

There is only a tradition that we only retired players who are Hall of Famers.

So, you might have a guess what they will do in different situations. But the reality is they do whatever the hell they want to do.

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Seriously?

I'm trolling?

Quote:

1. Be in the HoF.

You said this. We said that it’s not true. That’s it. That’s the end of the discussion. It didn’t have to go any further than this. I have no idea how it did.

He’s going to be so mad when we win.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1465, 1466, 1467 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1466 of 2079
Jump to: