New Foston Celtic Argument
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: New Foston Celtic Argument

Truly pathetic fans.

My friend (from Boston but lives in LA) now says Lakers only have 12 rings, the 5 from Minneapolis don't count

I just thank him for the $1,000 I won on our bet
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject:

This isn't "new," its an argument that is as old as time for Celtics fans.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

They truly have so little right now.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Foston Celtic Argument

AD23 wrote:
Truly pathetic fans.

My friend (from Boston but lives in LA) now says Lakers only have 12 rings, the 5 from Minneapolis don't count

Some people have always felt that way.

And I see the reasoning. But I don't buy it. Teams change locations, owners and players all the time.

The Celtics have played in three different arenas. Does that mean only the rings they won in one of them count?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

They are desperate because they have won 1 championship in the last 30 years
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

tied with the Cavs
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

TIL "new" doesn't mean what I thought it meant.
Anyway, it is what it is.
Maybe Boston fans can enjoy the 1 title this millennium.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I will say that I agree with one point in all this silliness…

If the Lakers are gonna count their Minneapolis championships (which they should) then it’s past time to retire Mikan’s number.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

34 years even
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Foston Celtic Argument

AD23 wrote:
Truly pathetic fans.

I just thank him for the $1,000 I won on our bet

OK, take away the 5 Minnepolis rings, and take away the 9 Celtic titles when there were less than 10 teams in the league.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

If the Lakers are gonna count their Minneapolis championships (which they should) then it’s past time to retire Mikan’s number.

It's way overdue. So is Vern Mikkelson as well to be honest. Hall of Famer who won titles with the Lakers (other than Elgin). That's the criteria right?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

The Lakers have always had a weird relationship with their Minneapolis days. They love the ring count, but don't want to truly acknowledge the players.

They should have retired the numbers of George Mikan, Slater Martin, Jim Pollard, and Vern Mikkelsen 20 or 30 years ago.

Although at this point, it also seems a little pointless. You can't honor them, because they're all dead. You can't really honor their memory, because hardly any Lakers fans remember them.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
This isn't "new," its an argument that is as old as time for Celtics fans.

It might be but rarely used when they had the advantage. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I just call them the 30 year 1 ring dynasty team. Typically shuts him up.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Just tell them "Good thing Lebron left the East so you guys can now make the Finals every year"
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

The Lakers have always had a weird relationship with their Minneapolis days. They love the ring count, but don't want to truly acknowledge the players.

They should have retired the numbers of George Mikan, Slater Martin, Jim Pollard, and Vern Mikkelsen 20 or 30 years ago.

Although at this point, it also seems a little pointless. You can't honor them, because they're all dead. You can't really honor their memory, because hardly any Lakers fans remember them.

Forgot about them as well. I think you still do it. Recognition is recognition. They also have family.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
So is Vern Mikkelson as well to be honest. Hall of Famer who won titles with the Lakers (other than Elgin). That's the criteria right?

There is no official criteria. There is a tradition of only retiring Hall of Famers who made a significant contributor to the team.

There are modern-era Hall of Famers who won a ring with the Lakers whose numbers haven't been retired by us (Bob McAdoo and Spencer Hayward.)

Clyde Lovelette is a Hall of Famer who won a ring with Minneapolis. (Only player other than Rondo to win a ring with both the Lakers and the Celtics.) So are Jim Pollard, Slater Martin, and Vern Mikkelsen.

So there really isn't any hard and fast rules.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

It's a tired and dumb argument. Although, I do enjoy seeing them try to make it right now because it's so bitter.

But no one is going to take away the Dodgers franchise history, no is going to deny the Raiders or Rams their histories. Lakers won their championships. It's Lakers history.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

https://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/freaky-friday-n-b-a-style-when-the-clippers-were-the-celtics/
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject:

This is what Zach Lowe thinks of that moronic argument.

"If the Celtics fans want to dismiss the (Lakers Minneapolis titles) they have to come to grip with the fact that 9 of their 17 titles came when there were like 9 teams in the NBA & dudes were smoking in the locker room"

That's not even getting into the fact that the Celtics as an organization did a 100% swap with the Buffalo Braves in '78.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

It's way overdue. So is Vern Mikkelson as well to be honest. Hall of Famer who won titles with the Lakers (other than Elgin). That's the criteria right?

Im not sure if there is a criteria but comparing what those guys did to other dynaaties i would retire some and some wouldnt. 1st of all, Mikan definitely. No questions asked. The other 2 are Pollard and Mikkelsen. They were no.2 and no.3 at different times in that 1st dynasty (Pollard was there from the beginning, winning 48 NBL and 49 BAA titles with Mikan, Mikkelsen joined for the remaining 4). They both spent their career in our shirt and interestingly both are born in California. Martin was as high as no.4 (sometimes lower) on our championship teams and left to win another chip for a rival (St Louis). I dont see how his contribution for us is higher than that of a Cooper or Fisher, so he shouldnt be held in as high regards as Mikan, Pollard and Mikkelsen. Lovellette won just one chip here as a rookie and another 2 in Boston. He was probably the best od them behind Mikan but he showed it elsewhere mostly. So them 2 i would not retire. Plus their numbers are up there already with Shaq and Elgin so they missed out anyway.

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
strong9 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

Im not sure if there is a criteria but comparing what those guys did to other dynaaties i would retire some and some wouldnt. 1st of all, Mikan definitely. No questions asked. The other 2 are Pollard and Mikkelsen. They were no.2 and no.3 at different times in that 1st dynasty (Pollard was there from the beginning, winning 48 NBL and 49 BAA titles with Mikan, Mikkelsen joined for the remaining 4). They both spent their career in our shirt and interestingly both are born in California. Martin was as high as no.4 (sometimes lower) on our championship teams and left to win another chip for a rival (St Louis). I dont see how his contribution for us is higher than that of a Cooper or Fisher, so he shouldnt be held in as high regards as Mikan, Pollard and Mikkelsen. Lovellette won just one chip here as a rookie and another 2 in Boston. He was probably the best od them behind Mikan but he showed it elsewhere mostly. So them 2 i would not retire. Plus their numbers are up there already with Shaq and Elgin so they missed out anyway.

Love your sig. You already got AD and LBJ up there.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject:

best argument is what have you done for me lately. We have 3 titles to show for since Boston's last title.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

They won most of their championships when there was like 8 teams in the league
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
strong9 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

Love your sig. You already got AD and LBJ up there.

They are next up after Pau

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

The argument that the Minneapolis chips shouldn't count has never made any real sense. The organization is what matters, not where they're located. The Lakers, the organization, relocated to Los Angeles.

Several teams have relocated over the many years of this league. Should we dismiss all of the team history of the Thunder since they relocated there from Seattle? And what about the Clippers? We can play this asinine game all day. It's silly.

Last edited by Judah on Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: