Should Lakers resign Demarcus Cousins now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject:

No brainer, sign him for the minimum. We could use some scoring punch when Lebron and AD are resting. If he breaks down, fine, release him and sign someone with a pulse. Look at the end of the bench this past season, it doesn't get any worse than that.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
Why are people acting we are fixing this guy the max? 🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

It’s. Vet minimum contract come on now.

We took that chance on Dwight and he was a damn important rotation player and critical in is winning a chip.

Why wouldn’t we roll the dice again on Cousins??

That's not the issue..

The issue I'm having with some of you is penciling him in as a starter and expecting stellar play.

He's not a starter, and he doesn't play defense. That's a pretty big deal.

Why does it matter if he starts and can still play? His defense is a not an issue to me. Specially with all the defensive guys we have.

What I love about the Lakers were the line-up versatility. They can match and adjust with any teams line-up. If healthy, Cousins add another dimension to the team. His offensive skills outweighs his defense. With one leg he’s still a better or the same defender as Jokic. He has the offensive skills of Jokic in a 20mpg production.

Don't think I could disagree more.. This idea that others should cover for the deficiencies in another guy on the court defensively and compromise the entire set is absurd to me. That doesn't make any sense at all with all due respect. All it takes is one defensive break down or mismatch to cause problems on that end.

And no.. offensive prowess doesn't make up for poor defense. Especially when that offensive prowess is average. And at this stage of his career, he's average offensively.

He’s better defensively than what you are claiming. Your basing a lot of your opinion on his injuries. Like I said the Lakers won’t sign him if they feel like he can no longer play.

You don’t post 16ppg/8rpg/4apg with 1.5bpg/1.5spg in less than 26mpg having an average offensive skills. That’s coming fresh off an achilles injury.

He will cost you close to nothing. Will not prevent you from going after other target pieces. He will be 3rd/4th option at best. What exactly is the issue?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:

We took that chance on Dwight and he was a damn important rotation player and critical in is winning a chip.

That's not the issue..

The issue I'm having with some of you is penciling him in as a starter and expecting stellar play.

Why does it matter if he starts and can still play? His defense is a not an issue to me. Specially with all the defensive guys we have.

What I love about the Lakers were the line-up versatility. They can match and adjust with any teams line-up. If healthy, Cousins add another dimension to the team. His offensive skills outweighs his defense. With one leg he’s still a better or the same defender as Jokic. He has the offensive skills of Jokic in a 20mpg production.

Don't think I could disagree more.. This idea that others should cover for the deficiencies in another guy on the court defensively and compromise the entire set is absurd to me. That doesn't make any sense at all with all due respect. All it takes is one defensive break down or mismatch to cause problems on that end.

And no.. offensive prowess doesn't make up for poor defense. Especially when that offensive prowess is average. And at this stage of his career, he's average offensively.

He’s better defensively than what you are claiming. Your basing a lot of your opinion on his injuries. Like I said the Lakers won’t sign him if they feel like he can no longer play.

You don’t post 16ppg/8rpg/4apg with 1.5bpg/1.5spg in less than 26mpg having an average offensive skills. That’s coming fresh off an achilles injury.

He will cost you close to nothing. Will not prevent you from going after other target pieces. He will be 3rd/4th option at best. What exactly is the issue?

I'll put it in quotes for you since you missed it.. again..

Signing him for next to nothing is a non issue. I don't care.

Expecting him to be a starting center that's reliable and not a liability on defense is another thing entirely.

And of course the front office will do what they believe is best, not sure why you'd mention that. We're all just giving takes here, that really isn't relevant.

He wasn't much of a defender before the injury, and certainly won't become a good one after. He'd get destroyed in pick coverage against Houston, Golden State, and Denver to name a few.

With all that being said signing him for pennies and hoping for the best won't hurt.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:

That's not the issue..

I'll put it in quotes for you since you missed it.. again..

Signing him for next to nothing is a non issue. I don't care.

Expecting him to be a starting center that's reliable and not a liability on defense is another thing entirely.

And of course the front office will do what they believe is best, not sure why you'd mention that. We're all just giving takes here, that really isn't relevant.

He wasn't much of a defender before the injury, and certainly won't become a good one after. He'd get destroyed in pick coverage against Houston, Golden State, and Denver to name a few.

With all that being said signing him for pennies and hoping for the best won't hurt.

Not sure how many posters in here wanting him as a starter. Most posters I've seen want to bring him in just to see what he got left.

To me if he stays healthy and can comes close to GSW Cousins. I won't be surprise if he starting at some point in the season. It will also come down if we can bring back Dwight. I think Dwight deserves the starting job. McGee is good insurance to have but he pretty much duplicate Dwight. So I don't mind letting him go if Cousins is healthy.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject:

That's exactly why you want McGee, he's a derivative of Howard. He'll be able to switch on coverages, and man the paint to a lesser extent.

If you want to believe that Cousins could actually earn a starting spot that's fine lol..

We can agree to disagree.. You enjoy your weekend boss.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
That's exactly why you want McGee, he's a derivative of Howard. He'll be able to switch on coverages, and man the paint to a lesser extent.

If you want to believe that Cousins could actually earn a starting spot that's fine lol..

We can agree to disagree.. You enjoy your weekend boss.

I believe he can earn a starting spot if he can come close to GSW Cousins and depending with Dwight returning.

What is wrong with that? I'm not penciling him in. I expect to bring him in similar to Dwight deal. Prove himself deal.

But I get it tho... You already counting the guy out just like you did with Dwight.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Check my post history before making silly statements like that..

I wanted Howard here, and expected him to be big for us.. and he was, just as I predicted.

I don't care what you believe boss.. I'm okay with you thinking whatever you want to think in regards to Cousins. Now enjoy your weekend. Peace..
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Oh..

SocalDevin wrote:
If you simplify what was needed, and what was available, there really isn't anything to complain about.

Can he rebound? Yes.. is he good at that? Yes..

Can he play decent post defense against dominant bigs? (Joker, Embiid) Yes..

Can he do an adequate job of manning the paint as a back up? Yes..

SocalDevin wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
He has a lot to do to earn the respect of even a small fraction of the Lakers fan base.

not me, if he goes out there and rebounds, defends, shoots a very high FG% (put backs, etc.) and helps the Lakers win, he will be ok in my book.

hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject:

Yeah, zero expectations of him starting. Possibly if things went best case scenario I could see certain spot starts depending on matchups/injuries etc. but that's about it.

I still think the potential is way too high if he does sign for the minimum though and could be an absolute vital low minute piece if he ever does get healthy again. If things repeat like this year you just simply cut him late in the season and get the best vet buyout we can get which i'm sure we'll be looking to sign at least 1 anyways. It's not like the end of our bench will be anything spectacular.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject:

It's low risk high reward to sign him for the vet min. We can have 3 centers
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

Is it really “high rewards” if he’s damaged goods? That’s the constant theme that I am seeing.

If he was somehow healthy, I could see that argument (even though the question of fit comes up). But this is a guy who’s had a Torn Achilles, Torn Quad and Torn ACL.

And no, this isn’t the same as the Dwight Howard situation. If Dwight was coming off of a torn achilles, torn quad and torn ACL, it would’ve been a much different story.

Some people really think he’s going to compete for a starting job or playing a role as a primary backup (18+ MPG)? That’s not even a fair expectation to put on him.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Is it really “high rewards” if he’s damaged goods? That’s the constant theme that I am seeing.

If he was somehow healthy, I could see that argument (even though the question of fit comes up). But this is a guy who’s had a Torn Achilles, Torn Quad and Torn ACL.

And no, this isn’t the same as the Dwight Howard situation. If Dwight was coming off of a torn achilles, torn quad and torn ACL, it would’ve been a much different story.

Some people really think he’s going to compete for a starting job or playing a role as a primary backup (18+ MPG)? That’s not even a fair expectation to put on him.

If season start in jan, it'd be about 18 months since last summer... might be enough time for rehab for under 30 athlete, not a bad signing if he's taking Q.Cook's spot cause by playoff time, it'll be 2 years from his last injury
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

If season start in jan, it'd be about 18 months since last summer... might be enough time for rehab for under 30 athlete, not a bad signing if he's taking Q.Cook's spot cause by playoff time, it'll be 2 years from his last injury

I agree with that.

It’s just that any expectation for him to perform beyond that is stretching it at this point. At this point, he’s not a threat to take Dwight’s minutes, Morris’ or McGee’s for that matter (assuming we run it back at the 5).

And if all 3 are somehow brought back, Cousins would be the odd man out again, just like he was this year.
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

I’d absolutely bring back cousins. At worst he rides the bench, at best he gives bench scoring and allows AD rest
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject:

I dont get this people, it's ok for them that Lakers sign Dudley at vet min last year but not Cousins? What will the Lakers lose in signing Cousins? If he happened to be not healthy then they can easily bench him or waived him. But what if he is healthy?
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

For the minimum? Heck yeah.

And if he's even 65-70% of himself, you win that deal, IMO.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:
I’d absolutely bring back cousins. At worst he rides the bench, at best he gives bench scoring and allows AD rest
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/1316047183595020295

Cousins is ready to go
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

He could take Dudley's spot. His career is done.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
https://twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/1316047183595020295

Cousins is ready to go

He is definitely in really good shape, looks like he's taking next year seriously. Run it back Boogie.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Low risk, low reward signing. Being out of shape for seasons and then 3 lower leg injuries doesn’t evoke positive thoughts.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

It's high reward because even after the torn achilles he came back and averaged 16/8/3.5/1.5. Yes, he had a knee injury since then but he's had ample time to recover from that. I think it's more likely that he exceeds his value on a minimum contract than it is that he doesn't. And if he gets hurt again, you really lose nothing from it other than a roster spot that would have gone to a guy in the G-League who will probably never play in an actual game.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I think he still needs to lose more weight, reduce stress on his body.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
I think he still needs to lose more weight, reduce stress on his body.

Still has two more months
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject:

I am for it even if McGee opts in. You just can not teach size. Perimeter Skill level is at it's highest ever in the NBA. Yet, teams are getting smaller and smaller. Bigs have a lot more skill now.

We would be able to send 3 completely different looks at teams from the 5 spots with McGee, Dwight, Cousins. And when you factor AD at the 5, that's four completely different looks a team has to defend and deal with.

Totally for stockpiling on bigs. These guys are all playing for rings and don't seem to whine about PT, role or anything. Even Boogie, seemed like a good character last year. Def worth a try.

Worse case?You waive him again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14
Jump to: