Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Bad traits to work on: tends to force shots and have tunnel vision. Once he gets downhill towards the basket he almost always puts a shot up whereas he should be kicking out or hitting cutters.

Heat checks 3 pointers when he is a below average 3pt shooter. At times a ball hog.

Not a good passer off the dribble. He makes nice passes but they are normally when he is stationary. Need to see if he has the vision to pass while on the move.

Not much lift on his vertical. This is sort of offset with his long arms.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Bad traits to work on: tends to force shots and have tunnel vision. Once he gets downhill towards the basket he almost always puts a shot up whereas he should be kicking out or hitting cutters.

Heat checks 3 pointers when he is a below average 3pt shooter. At times a ball hog.

Not a good passer off the dribble. He makes nice passes but they are normally when he is stationary. Need to see if he has the vision to pass while on the move.

All of those bad traits are necessary to break through ceilings. 19 year olds who are very good offensively and have his on ball skills all struggle with this.

That he's exploring his limits and trying to break through his ceilings is what leads to the tunnel vision and forcing of shots.

It's a good sign in the development of someone so young.

No, I am not saying he's Kobe, but those are the very things Kobe struggled with as an 18-20 year old. It was necessary for Kobe's development. It's how they develop counters, or learn what won't work. Only way to find out what a young players ceiling will be is to try and break through the one there now.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
Dumhead wrote:
Can you guys help me out? I like what little I've seen of THT. But I haven't really seen a whole lot... at least not enough to have an informed opinion. But I see a lot of LGers very high on him. Educate me.

Combo guard with incredible wingspan and big hands. Average athlete but has Decent defensive instincts coupled with his physical traits may make him a disruptive defender (steals/deflections). Offensively has a lot of shake to his game (one of the only guards on the roster who can create space off the dribble) but at this stage he relies a lot on high degree of difficulty step backs and unorthodox finishes around the rim. Jumper needs work.

Needs a lot of polish but has some tools to become a rotation player.

Upside argument: a rare, odd intersection of natural strength/frame and freakish wingspan; even though not vertically explosive, anthrometric traits along with quick hips and feet (and the aforementioned defensive instincts) could allow him to guard 1-3 effectively with continued development.

Not yet 20 years old, with his handle, footwork, shot making feel, and passing chops combined with natural confidence he has scoring upside to one day become a good third option (if everything works out).

No argument from me that that’s his ceiling. Optimistic but not out of the realm of possibility. At the very least he projects as a two way player who you’re not going to have to hide on either end of the floor.

Cheers, mate. Just adding onto your already cogent breakdown.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

All of those bad traits are necessary to break through ceilings. 19 year olds who are very good offensively and have his on ball skills all struggle with this.

That he's exploring his limits and trying to break through his ceilings is what leads to the tunnel vision and forcing of shots.

No, I am not saying he's Kobe, but those are the very things Kobe struggled with as an 18-20 year old. It was necessary for Kobe's development. It's how they develop counters, or learn what won't work. Only way to find out what a young players ceiling will be is to try and break through the one there now.

Agree to a point. It was how BI developed his game starting out by attacking the basket and playing PG when called upon. You could see his progression as he got better year over year.

However some of this is just plain bad decision making where he needs a mentor like Lebron/Rondo to help point out and correct these issues. This has carried over from his play in college to the gleague.

I have high hopes he will make the adjustments as he gains experience in the league.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Agree to a point. It was how BI developed his game starting out by attacking the basket and playing PG when called upon. You could see his progression as he got better year over year.

However some of this is just plain bad decision making where he needs a mentor like Lebron/Rondo to help point out and correct these issues. This has carried over from his play in college to the gleague.

I have high hopes he will make the adjustments as he gains experience in the league.

He's so young that I think the gauge to his potential is much more what he can already do (he can already do a lot) vs what he can't do. Specially since what he can't do are things that most young players struggle with (shooting, and seeing the floor/shooters, shot selection).

It's a positive that at 19 he's already demonstrating he can be a scorer, albeit an inefficient one. That's a much better sign than if he were an efficient non-scorer at 19.

To my eye anyway, we've hit a homerun with this draft pick. I just hope he gets to show it in a Lakers uniform.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

He's so young that I think the gauge to his potential is much more what he can already do (he can already do a lot) vs what he can't do. Specially since what he can't do are things that most young players struggle with (shooting, and seeing the floor/shooters, shot selection).

It's a positive that at 19 he's already demonstrating he can be a scorer, albeit an inefficient one. That's a much better sign than if he were an efficient non-scorer at 19.

To my eye anyway, we've hit a homerun with this draft pick. I just hope he gets to show it in a Lakers uniform.

Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
Dumhead wrote:
Can you guys help me out? I like what little I've seen of THT. But I haven't really seen a whole lot... at least not enough to have an informed opinion. But I see a lot of LGers very high on him. Educate me.

Combo guard with incredible wingspan and big hands. Average athlete but has Decent defensive instincts coupled with his physical traits may make him a disruptive defender (steals/deflections). Offensively has a lot of shake to his game (one of the only guards on the roster who can create space off the dribble) but at this stage he relies a lot on high degree of difficulty step backs and unorthodox finishes around the rim. Jumper needs work.

Needs a lot of polish but has some tools to become a rotation player.

Upside argument: a rare, odd intersection of natural strength/frame and freakish wingspan; even though not vertically explosive, anthrometric traits along with quick hips and feet (and the aforementioned defensive instincts) could allow him to guard 1-3 effectively with continued development.

Not yet 20 years old, with his handle, footwork, shot making feel, and passing chops combined with natural confidence he has scoring upside to one day become a good third option (if everything works out).

No argument from me that that’s his ceiling. Optimistic but not out of the realm of possibility. At the very least he projects as a two way player who you’re not going to have to hide on either end of the floor.

Cheers, mate. Just adding onto your already cogent breakdown.

Thanks my dudes.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

Shannon Brown w/out the mad hops!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Too bad they’ll probably be no summer league this season. NBA Champ THT in Summer League would be nuts.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I hope we don't lose him in some trade deal. If he improves, he's exactly what we need - a playmaking scorer off the bench who's not a terrible defender.
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject:

I think THT will grow into being an outstanding defender one day. He’s got a ridiculous wingspan and quickness

He’s a keeper in my book

Excellent find by the lakers
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject:

If he was drafted last June, he would have been drafted at age 19. Under normal circumstances, he would have started this season at age 19. He turns 20 next month. He's only 4 months older than James Wiseman.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

THT reminds me of Lugenz Dort but with a more polished offensive game.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

This kid will help us next season. He has the skills, got in shape and he has the playoff experience from the Houston series as well as watching what it takes to be elite.

He should be a pretty valuable rotation guy next season imo.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

We need him to be a contributor next year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Agreed. He's still so incredibly young and has already shown he belongs on the floor. Although, I guess I'd have a ton of indecision too when I'm used to extending my arms with mitt hands and finishing, as opposed to kicking out to open shooters, which he has shown plenty of at the GLeague level.

It's just NBA speed and contests now. He looks comfortable with it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Any sense of where Tucker would fall in this year's draft?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Easily mid lottery. Not even close.

His age for last year's draft was a big reason why I had him 15 last year.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Isn't he too young to be in Vegas?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Isn't he too young to be in Vegas?

I was a teenager when my parents took me there. I could walk around the floor and whatever, just couldn't play any games or ask for a drink. But the buffets, shows, swimming pools & non-gambling arcade games were fair game
2022 - New Orleans
2023 - Own or New Orleans' Pick
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

Nah. SB did not have the handles and the craftiness around the hoop. THT is shifty, and even has the euro-step. Totally differently players.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

And the bare ass locker room shot during a live postgame (yet).
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

And the bare ass locker room shot during a live postgame (yet).

I don't remember this one (thankfully)
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
We need him to be a contributor next year.

No, we don't. No more than we needed him to be one this past year. However, if he becomes one, that's pretty huge.

I don't think he'll be spending time with Southbay as much next year, but he very well could. Its just hard for even a second year player to get any minutes, no less consistent minutes, on a championship caliber team. Heat this past year was an exception, but their roster was unique and they didn't have the depth to begin with that most NBA title aspiring teams have.

If THT gets minutes next year (which I think he could), its because the Lakers see something in him that's special or its because the Lakers completely struck out with guards in the FA market. If they continue to just see him as another developing player, then most likely he'll spend some good time with Soutbay again while maybe getting a few more opportunities here and there with the Lakers.

The only caveat I will add is that next year expects to be a rushed season. There may be some more load and game management going on to keep people fresh. I could see THT getting extra minutes against the lottery type teams where some of our older players take a game off or get limited minutes, especially on the first or second of a back-to-back.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Easily mid lottery. Not even close.

His age for last year's draft was a big reason why I had him 15 last year.

Thanks! I had the impression he would place higher this year, especially since he developed himself physically so much.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 56 of 202
Jump to: