Should Lakers resign Demarcus Cousins now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I am for it even if McGee opts in. You just can not teach size. Perimeter Skill level is at it's highest ever in the NBA. Yet, teams are getting smaller and smaller. Bigs have a lot more skill now.

We would be able to send 3 completely different looks at teams from the 5 spots with McGee, Dwight, Cousins. And when you factor AD at the 5, that's four completely different looks a team has to defend and deal with.

Totally for stockpiling on bigs. These guys are all playing for rings and don't seem to whine about PT, role or anything. Even Boogie, seemed like a good character last year. Def worth a try.

Worse case?You waive him again.

As the 3rd center with low expectations, I can be forced to stomach Cousins.

Unfortunately there are lines of thinking that McGee and/ or Howard will be traded or leave in free agency. That would increase the necessity of playing Cousins more mins and increasing his need to be an impact player.

Until the roster gets sorted out and the final decisions are made it is hard to really lock in to any one plan. Lakers deciding to go after Paul or Rose or if they lose 5-6 rotation players in free agency changes decisions dramatically.

Can’t wait to see how they choose to go. Even if it includes Cousins. I support the team. They just make it hard at times over the years.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject:

If Cousins is 50% of what he was, he is >>>>>>>>>>>JM. I still want JM (I think he is worth his small contract). This gives us plenty of time to figure out where Cousins is and if we can rely on him down the road. His health would obviously allow us to make some moves (if needed) when the time comes.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
If Cousins is 50% of what he was, he is >>>>>>>>>>>JM. I still want JM (I think he is worth his small contract). This gives us plenty of time to figure out where Cousins is and if we can rely on him down the road. His health would obviously allow us to make some moves (if needed) when the time comes.

The root of the problem is Cousins is not that much greater then McGee as you are stating. They both have positives and negatives.

I am seeing too many posters getting all starry eyed about the adding Cousins (and others) for his offensive possibilities (if he can regain them) but completely ignoring the defensive end.

McGee played his role perfectly all season long, don't get sidetracked by the playoff matchups. He ran the floor, rotated and effected shots, was a threat for lobs and rebound put backs. His activity and athleticism made a difference. Can or will Cousins fit any of those qualities? Doubtful even at his best.

Cousins "may" still have some shooting and playmaking abilities. But if his best attributes are he will likely sign cheap (still TBD) and is Davis' BFF.... what is that really saying about his game?

I can be force fed that he is a great option as the end of the bench towel waver to keep Davis happy. But expecting him to be a solid back up or even starter as some continue to suggest is a joke.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject:

I understand your dislike of Cousins and I am not trying to change it. I think your dislike is making you over hype JM. I said I want JM, but lets be real in the JM evaluation. I think saying Cousins's best attribute is his cheap contract but not saying the same about JM is one sided at best.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject:

I see Cousins as that scoring center on the second team. Especially if we re-sign Howard, I'm not worried about his defense.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

Cousins floor is no worse than the rest of the scrubs we had at the bench. His ceiling is obviously MUCH higher and he is clearly worth the risk. I will be very happy when he is officially signed.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Cousins floor is no worse than the rest of the scrubs we had at the bench. His ceiling is obviously MUCH higher and he is clearly worth the risk. I will be very happy when he is officially signed.

I would have no problem with signing Cousins if we have another capable center on the roster. As I see it, the risk with Cousins isn’t that he might be diminished or that he is not a good defender. The risk is that his legs might give out again. Anyone can get hurt, but Cousins may be on the kind of injury spiral that we see sometimes, especially with big men.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I would have no problem with signing Cousins if we have another capable center on the roster. As I see it, the risk with Cousins isn’t that he might be diminished or that he is not a good defender. The risk is that his legs might give out again. Anyone can get hurt, but Cousins may be on the kind of injury spiral that we see sometimes, especially with big men.

I won't be surprise if they keep all 3 bigs... Or even trade McGee and sign a third C for cheaper.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I won't be surprise if they keep all 3 bigs... Or even trade McGee and sign a third C for cheaper.

I agree, though I think that the more likely scenario is keeping two out of three.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I agree, though I think that the more likely scenario is keeping two out of three.

2 out of 3 because signing all 3 will limit our ability to play small and have a fast, skilled smaller team on the floor like we did with Kief
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I understand your dislike of Cousins and I am not trying to change it. I think your dislike is making you over hype JM. I said I want JM, but lets be real in the JM evaluation. I think saying Cousins's best attribute is his cheap contract but not saying the same about JM is one sided at best.

McGee can move laterally and run the floor. We didn’t see that from Cousins even prior to the most recent injury.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

2 out of 3 because signing all 3 will limit our ability to play small and have a fast, skilled smaller team on the floor like we did with Kief

Right, plus there would be a minutes issue if we had Howard, McGee, and Cousins on the roster. They would all expect playing time.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

In all of the playoff games, we either were able to match up the opposing team with size or had a size advantage with AD, Dwight and JM.
So im all for it with Cousins. Rather have him than Dudley TBH as he serves a purpose.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I’m locked in!

Won’t let em knock me off my pivot.

Live and Learn.

https://mobile.twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/1320030245626343426
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
I’m locked in!

Live and Learn.

Okaaay. What does this mean though?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
I’m locked in!

Live and Learn.

Okaaay. What does this mean though?

I have no idea. The first comment mentioned something about what George Karl said. But I don't know what he said.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject:

Didn’t Karl pretty much said he was the player that he hated working with the most?

I hope all of this does motivate him. Since he will likely be a Laker, I will support him on that. And (bleep) George Karl
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

Cousins has repeatedly proven himself to be an A-hole his entire career. Just because he wears a Laker uniform or is Davis' BFF (and apparently a package deal) will not change that.

I'll support the jersey as I have always done. But in this case not the player. Won't be the first or last time but simply part of being a fan of a team.

Sometimes you have to accept the bad with the good.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Didn’t Karl pretty much said he was the player that he hated working with the most?

I hope all of this does motivate him. Since he will likely be a Laker, I will support him on that. And (bleep) George Karl

Cousins was a moody and lazy player. Sometimes he wouldn’t run down the floor to play defense. Definitely not the kind of player that coaches want. But at least he put up numbers. Now he might not run back on defense because he can’t. His lack of foot speed and lateral movement will kill us on defense. I hope that the FO goes with someone like Noel who can give us some productive minutes.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Cousins was a moody and lazy player. Sometimes he wouldn’t run down the floor to play defense. Definitely not the kind of player that coaches want. But at least he put up numbers. Now he might not run back on defense because he can’t. His lack of foot speed and lateral movement will kill us on defense. I hope that the FO goes with someone like Noel who can give us some productive minutes.

I agree with your assessments with his past antics and concerns moving forward, although I don’t think Karl is an innocent victim in any way in this whole mess.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

If his signing helps keep AD happy, its a WIN. Anything more is gravy. Again, he is no worse than the rest of the scrubs at the end of the bench.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
If his signing helps keep AD happy, its a WIN.

That’s pretty much what it comes down to. I don’t see a way around it, might as well live with it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

I agree with your assessments with his past antics and concerns moving forward, although I don’t think Karl is an innocent victim in any way in this whole mess.

I can definitely agree with that.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
If his signing helps keep AD happy, its a WIN.

That’s pretty much what it comes down to. I don’t see a way around it, might as well live with it.

Agreed. I do hope that if he gets hot shooting, passing and rebounding that he takes his 15-18mpg from Vogel well if they aren't making stops with him out there. Between all the perimeter defenders in place and possible upgrades around him they'll be fine if he's healthy and dialed in.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

The root of the problem is Cousins is not that much greater then McGee as you are stating. They both have positives and negatives.

I am seeing too many posters getting all starry eyed about the adding Cousins (and others) for his offensive possibilities (if he can regain them) but completely ignoring the defensive end.

McGee played his role perfectly all season long, don't get sidetracked by the playoff matchups. He ran the floor, rotated and effected shots, was a threat for lobs and rebound put backs. His activity and athleticism made a difference. Can or will Cousins fit any of those qualities? Doubtful even at his best.

Cousins "may" still have some shooting and playmaking abilities. But if his best attributes are he will likely sign cheap (still TBD) and is Davis' BFF.... what is that really saying about his game?

I can be force fed that he is a great option as the end of the bench towel waver to keep Davis happy. But expecting him to be a solid back up or even starter as some continue to suggest is a joke.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14
Jump to: