Pat Riley: Lakers beat the Heat “Fair and Squarely” but the title will have a asterisk because of injuries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

It isn’t the Invitational title that makes Lebron a footnote, it is his first season here. Sitting out games, being detached from the team, things we never saw from greats like Magic, Kareem, Kobe and Shaq. The guy simply didn’t care, he wasn’t into being a Laker. That season flipped my opinion of him.

In this aspect, James could never be compared to Kobe, who not once in his lifetime would ever consider not wearing Lakers uniform.

Well maybe except Bulls', or Clippers', or Pluto's.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I'll always love Pat. Dude just hates to lose. Nothing to see here.

Yeah, for all that Riley gave us, can't hate on him for a little comment. Dude is a competitor to the bone and just hates to lose. I give him a pass as well.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It isn’t the Invitational title that makes Lebron a footnote, it is his first season here. Sitting out games, being detached from the team, things we never saw from greats like Magic, Kareem, Kobe and Shaq. The guy simply didn’t care, he wasn’t into being a Laker. That season flipped my opinion of him.

Guys don't feed the troll. I think it's pretty obvious by now he hasn't been worth listening to for a very long time
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Guys don't feed the troll. I think it's pretty obvious by now he hasn't been worth listening to for a very long time

Been saying he is troll for a year now. Has nothing to add to any conversation
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Enjoying reading you guys blast Riley for his idiotic comment, you guys are awesome

Ok ya'll, we can love our ex championship coach once again. Riles clarified his "asterisk" remarks. The asterisk, he said, was next to his team's name not ours....for their own reasons.

Quote:"Pat Riley, on how his words Friday have been wildly twisted out of context: “The asterisk is next to the Heat’s name, not the Lakers. Their title is legitimate. Our loss has an asterisk (next) to it. The Lakers were the better team. Period.”

https://clutchpoints.com/heat-news-pat-riley-clarifies-nba-finals-asterisk-comment-after-some-construed-it-lakers-diss/

Yeah, I thought Pat's comments were no big deal. My interpretation of what he meant by an asterisks was: "The Lakers won fair and square, but it was unfortunate we had so many injuries and couldn't see how things would play out if we were at full strength."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Interesting to see so many fans on this board triggered by the * comments and insult Riles (who helped us to 4 of our championships, thus we wouldn't have tied the Celtics without his past contributions), when I've seen those same fans say the exact same thing about the Spurs 1999 title or even the Celtics 2008 title (no Bynum, injured Ariza not all the way back). Very interesting indeed...

Lebron > Pat Riley

Riley’s contributions to the Lakers would take up several chapters. Lebron will be a footnote.

LOL. Do you ever put up a post that isn't just some drab variation of, "Get off my lawn!"
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

To me injury asterisks are when a team that is favored has injuries and loses as a result of the injuries, as was the case for Raptors / Warriors.

Heat weren't going to win the series healthy. Lakers were better all season and beat them twice. Lakers defense would have turned the screws earlier if they perceived the Heat to be a serious threat, as we saw them do in game 6.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
danzag wrote:

Yeah, for all that Riley gave us, can't hate on him for a little comment. Dude is a competitor to the bone and just hates to lose. I give him a pass as well.

Free pass, love you Riles!

Maybe deal us Bam on the cheap!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I have no personal disdain for VLF. However, the "sitting out games" was..."HUH?!1..." The response seemed to be dismissive of my attempt at its core, I could see that. I gave it the old college try as Holden Caufield said. Brawn didn't sit out games. He busted his ass against the Knicks of the league. He played that 1 pt loss to ORL like it was a war (he and KCP both banged dunks off the rim in that one). There was an at DAL game he coulda sat out because AD was a DNP, but he played an honest game. I dunno, man. That's a signal that someone maybe hasn't truly seen the entire season. I have no problem with pointing out any players' faults as I see them, but this one was a little too obvious.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
drae wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I have no personal disdain for VLF. However, the "sitting out games" was..."HUH?!1..." The response seemed to be dismissive of my attempt at its core, I could see that. I gave it the old college try as Holden Caufield said. Brawn didn't sit out games. He busted his ass against the Knicks of the league. He played that 1 pt loss to ORL like it was a war (he and KCP both banged dunks off the rim in that one). There was an at DAL game he coulda sat out because AD was a DNP, but he played an honest game. I dunno, man. That's a signal that someone maybe hasn't truly seen the entire season. I have no problem with pointing out any players' faults as I see them, but this one was a little too obvious.

He was also complaining about Lebron being detached from the team while supporting PG, Kawhi and the Clippers. So obvious troll is obvious
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Riley can take his asterisk and shove it...!
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
danzag wrote:

Both Riles and Jerry West would love nothing more than to still be associated with the Lakers. If you asked them both off camera they'd tell you they still bleed purple and gold. I get it that we live in the moment and have little respect for history, but those guys will always be Lakers to me. Dissing them is a bit short sighted IMO.

TBH, I've been a member of this site for over 12 years and I've had to endure negative comments about everybody from Magic to Kobe, who are responsible for 10 championships and never played on any other team. Go figure!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject:

VLF fandom is quite unique. How do you go to sleep every night praising a basketball franchise that you secretly hate?

It’s like that abusive boyfriend who beats his girlfriend relentlessly but kisses and makes up with her after only to beat her again the next day
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
VLF fandom is quite unique. How do you go to sleep every night praising a basketball franchise that you secretly hate?

It’s like that abusive boyfriend who beats his girlfriend relentlessly but kisses and makes up with her after only to beat her again the next day

trolls only care about the attention they get. there is no love or hate....

just attention seeking
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Easy. He never praises us and doesn’t keep his hatred secret.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
drae wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I should have been more precise, I was talking about his lottery season. Sure he was injured for some of the games but he called the season early. I was a big fan when he was in Cleveland and Miami so seeing him do that here was surprising.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I’m a VLF fan, a forum always needs someone who doesn’t agree with opinions and tends to say what he wants, let him be who he is, it’s all in good fun.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

This thread did not disappoint
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Riley can take his asterisk and shove it...!

All human beings have an asterisk and it's located inside our asses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: