Dodgers vs Lakers Championship Significance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Lakers tying Foston for most championships ever with 17th is more significant.

This. Happy the Dodgers ended their drought, but they now have the sixth-most WS titles. The Dodgers are beloved in LA, but they’ve got a long, long way to go to catch the Yankees. The Dodgers have roughly 1/4 as many titles as the Yankees, who have 27.

The Lakers sit atop the NBA- tied with Boston and more consistently relevant over decades, with way more Finals appearances, and an 8-1 advantage in Finals wins since ‘87.

The Dodgers are in the opposite situation, winning last night for the first time since ‘88.

In baseball, the Yankees are the Lakers, there is no version of the Celtics, and there are five teams, including the Dodgers, that are in the Bulls, Warriors, Spurs tier.

Lakers winning # 17 is the most significant title win in any sport in a long time.

This is the 2nd time I've heard a backhanded compliment towards the Dodgers about their championship. No Dodger fan has any reservations about where they stand compared to other franchises in their sport. We are just happy as hell they broke the winless streak. It reminds me of the time when the Cubs, Red Sox or White Sox broke their curses and people bring up other storied franchises during their moment of glory....nobody cares we want our moment of glory and time to shine.

You might want to check the title of this thread. It’s asking which championship is more significant.

The Lakers are now tied for the all time lead in NBA titles. That is significant for the NBA as a whole.

The Dodgers win is good for the fans, but not significant in the big picture of baseball the way the #17 is in the NBA.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Lakers winning # 17 is the most significant title win in any sport in a long time.

Agreed. #18 will be even more significant.

CAN’T WAIT!!!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Agreed. #18 will be even more significant.

CAN’T WAIT!!!

SOON!!!!!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Guessing it is more significant to those fans that truly love either team or sport the most.

All I know is I am getting sickened by all the reports of people unable to keep their sh*t together while “celebrating” a championship.

When did being happy your team won turn into burning, vandalizing and looting? I can’t remember the last championship that didn’t result in this crap.

Honestly minimizes a bit of the thrill of the accomplishment for me.

Seriously thrilled for both Lakers and Dodgers for winning championships. Just keep it together fans. Show some class!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Guessing it is more significant to those fans that truly love either team or sport the most.

All I know is I am getting sickened by all the reports of people unable to keep their sh*t together while “celebrating” a championship.

When did being happy your team won turn into burning, vandalizing and looting? I can’t remember the last championship that didn’t result in this crap.

Seriously thrilled for both Lakers and Dodgers for winning championships. Just keep it together fans. Show some class!

Your first point is spot on. I am happy that the Lakers won but I’m not a Dodger fan. The only significance to me of them winning is seeing some friends being happy.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Hmm ... the Lakers are my number one team in all sports, the Dodgers are third (behind the Niners). But it doesn't take any thought at all to say that I am far happier for Kershaw winning his first title as a Dodger than I am Lebron winning his first title as a Laker, or any amount thereafter. Lebron is a merc, Kershaw is a Dodgers lifer. For that matter I view Mookie Betts as a more authentic member of the Dodger family than Lebron as an authentic member of the Laker family ...
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Just make 2020 just a bit better for LA after all the bad news.

Lakers win there 17th = 1+7 = 8
Dodgers win there 7th
= 17 + 7 = 24
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Just make 2020 just a bit better for LA after all the bad news.

Lakers win there 17th = 1+7 = 8
Dodgers win there 7th
= 17 + 7 = 24
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Also.
You know what I love about having two baseball teams in Los Angeles. It’s that either fan has respect for the other franchise. They are both winners. Even when they were at their worst I never heard a dodger fan say F the angels. Or an angel fan say F the dodgers. There is always polite banter between the two fan bases.

Clippers on the other hand

Interesting point. One key difference: Angels don't build a team to kill the Dodgers, and don't go after players that may help the Dodgers.

Whether above impression is true, more importantly, Angels fans AND players don't run their mouths based on paper gain. It's the lack of humility where one has not done sh*t that makes the difference.

But back to OP's question - 17th by GOAT vs first in 32 is a difficult choice. I'm just happy as a clam - double championship is a once in lifetime chance, and some LA fans in the right age group have gotten it twice!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Due to the Kobe factor I'd give the nod to the Lakers' championship. In a vacuum, it's the Dodger's championship hands down. 32 year drought. 3rd world series in 4 year, 8 straight division titles and now finally breaking through.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Both super special. Personally, I'm a bigger NBA fan than baseball so the Lakers winning it for Kobe was more special for me, but I would say the Dodgers victory is slightly more powerful for LA since they finally got over the hump, Dodgers been blue balling LA for a long time before yesterday.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject:

The Lakers one has more significance organizationally (tying the Celtics) and as a tribute to Kobe.

Outside of that, when looking at the actual players, the Dodgers means far more. Most of the group was together for 5-8 years and fought every year until they finally broke through. It’s so much sweeter than a team that just kinda got thrown together in a year and won it on their first try.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
To Angelinos who are diehards of both teams, it won't even be close. The Dodger championship will mean much more. The players are for the most part homegrown or came into their own here, the sole exception really being Mookie Betts. This Lakers squad is a band of mercenaries for hire.

The Dodgers are so more accessible to the every day fan than the Lakers in terms of going to games. Both have horrible TV accessibility.

Finally, after the 32 year drought and the last decade of misery topped by the travesty of 2017, a victory will exorcise demons long holding an excruciating power over the fanbase.

I've been an ardent, rabid fan of both teams forever, and I would gladly trade 17 for number 7. No hesitation. One of my best friends is a Boston native and he agreed on his end, he would take a Celtic title over another Red Sox title since they've won frequently since the Celtics were dominant.

Having said all that, they haven't won yet. No jinxes please.

Exactly at the bolded. The only 2 Lakers that was drafted/signed and played a significant role in the championship are Kuzma and Caruso. The rest are a bunch of mercenaries. No homegrown superstar leading the Lakers to victory like a Magic or Kobe. The 80s team were stacked with homegrown talent, while the next 5 championships ddin't have the homegrown talent of Showtime, they did have Kobe and Fish. This Lakers championship were just a bunch of mercenaries put together.

The Dodgers on the other hand, just off the top of my head, these players were drafted/signed and developed through the Dodgers farm system: Kershaw, Seager, Bellinger, Urias, May, Gonsolin, Smith, Buehler, Baez, jansen, etc.

It's cool if some Lakers fans don't care about that homegrown superstar or role players leading the Lakers to a championship, but for others they prefer a Magic or Kobe that played, developed, and mature as a Laker since day 1. Like it or not, these Lebron Lakers aren't going to be embraced like the Showtime or Kobe Lakers, by a significant portion of fans because of that.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject:

I'm not really a baseball fan (did watch some of the playoffs, but that's about it) but I still have to say that it's probably the Lakers.

Baseball is one where I truly do view it as an asterisk type of season. They played basically 1/3rd of a full regular season and started way later than normal; they had many more issues with the virus throughout the season (though that did largely let up in the playoffs, admittedly); and they let more teams into the playoffs than normal and as such the entire playoff bracket/format was not the same.

Conversely, the NBA played comparatively much more of its full regular season. And most importantly, the playoffs were basically the exact same (play-in game being the only difference) in terms of format, etc.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject:

Anyone that is an “equal” fan of both will tell you it’s the Dodger World Series, myself included. But whichever does it for you ..enjoy it and we deserve it. Both are awesome in their own ways.

Significance wise definitely the Dodger one because it’s the same core that’s been struggling for years to finish it off..32 year drought... cheated out of 2 of them...choking narrative etc. Obviously if you add the Kobe aspect though like someone mentioned earlier then you have a case for the Lakers.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject:

Gotta give Magic some props on this.

Say whatever you want about him, but he goes to LAD as an owner, re-shapes that team and they become a contender. Finally breakthrough.

He goes to LAL as POBO, they recruit and sign Bron, end up setting the path for AD as well.

He did not directly oversee either, but he did play a significant part.

Happy for LA people, even though I am only a Lakers fan. The city was devastated with the Bryant tragedy. These things make it a little less painful. Bring some joy, to an otherwise (bleep) year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

Lakers have won 6 titles since 1988, Dodgers 0 until Tuesday. The Dodgers ring is the more significant one for the city, as their drought had reached embarrassing proportions given their immense regular season success and big market stature.

If you told me two years ago (pre Lebron) that the Dodgers would win a championship in 2020, I'd say cool and it's about time. I probably would have laughed in your face if you said the Lakes would win a title in 2020. Things were just pretty damn bleak.

The Dodgers are the best run organization in baseball and one of the best also in pro sports. They are a machine. Baseball though is different than basketball because you need a full roster of contributors and you have multiple layers of systemic development and scouting within an organization. Dodgers excel in all those categories.

Either preferences you have, BOTH organizations won titles this year, even within 16 days of each other. Great time to be an LA Sports fan.

Enjoy the hell out of it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

It sucks but basically the Dodgers and Lakers mean the most to LA. So thats why it attracts people from all walks of life even those that have bad intentions. On the other hand there are LA teams that have won titles and nobody has even bothered to give them a parade....LA Galaxy for example. I'm just happy that the Dodgers were able to win in such a terrible year so it is extra special.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
strong9 wrote:
To Angelinos who are diehards of both teams, it won't even be close. The Dodger championship will mean much more. The players are for the most part homegrown or came into their own here, the sole exception really being Mookie Betts. This Lakers squad is a band of mercenaries for hire.

The Dodgers are so more accessible to the every day fan than the Lakers in terms of going to games. Both have horrible TV accessibility.

Finally, after the 32 year drought and the last decade of misery topped by the travesty of 2017, a victory will exorcise demons long holding an excruciating power over the fanbase.

I've been an ardent, rabid fan of both teams forever, and I would gladly trade 17 for number 7. No hesitation. One of my best friends is a Boston native and he agreed on his end, he would take a Celtic title over another Red Sox title since they've won frequently since the Celtics were dominant.

Exactly at the bolded. The only 2 Lakers that was drafted/signed and played a significant role in the championship are Kuzma and Caruso. The rest are a bunch of mercenaries. No homegrown superstar leading the Lakers to victory like a Magic or Kobe. The 80s team were stacked with homegrown talent, while the next 5 championships ddin't have the homegrown talent of Showtime, they did have Kobe and Fish. This Lakers championship were just a bunch of mercenaries put together.

The Dodgers on the other hand, just off the top of my head, these players were drafted/signed and developed through the Dodgers farm system: Kershaw, Seager, Bellinger, Urias, May, Gonsolin, Smith, Buehler, Baez, jansen, etc.

It's cool if some Lakers fans don't care about that homegrown superstar or role players leading the Lakers to a championship, but for others they prefer a Magic or Kobe that played, developed, and mature as a Laker since day 1. Like it or not, these Lebron Lakers aren't going to be embraced like the Showtime or Kobe Lakers, by a significant
portion of fans because of that.

I think we should just enjoy the moment, because in reality 5 years from now 2020 is going to be a year that everyone is going to want to forget. I'm not saying these are asterisk championships, but they are definitively going to be question mark championships, and that goes for all the sports this year. I'd say they are equal in terms of importance, but outside of L.A. neither probably means much, and the ratings pretty much prove it.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

I love that the Dodgers homegrown stars finally won one especially after getting cheated in 2017. Sucks that players like Ethier and Puig and Maeda didn’t get to reach the top with them. But just a huge sense of relief and appreciation for these guys, especially Kersh.

I love that the Lakers won it for Kobe when everyone doubted them and didn’t even consider them the best team in the city. Even if they weren’t homegrown - I probably shouldn’t partake in so much schadenfreude but man... my joy in seeing all the doubters humiliated in the end actually surpassed my happiness for the Dodgers. Something about being the “underdog” (which in hindsight is laughable now) winning just makes it feel so much better.

This was all just the cherry on top though. With how 2020 was going I just thought the Astros and Clippers or Celtics were going to be the champs again so I already considered it a win when they had no shot at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject:

Both teams are favorites for 2021. I would be absolutely thrilled if both teams can go back to back. Lakers finally overthrowing the Celtics in chip count with a nice even number of 18 and the Lakers catching their rivals Giants with 8 and giving this nucleus another ring with potential for a dynasty
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject:

The players are for the most part homegrown or came into their own here, the sole exception really being Mookie Betts. This Lakers squad is a band of mercenaries for hire.
[/b]

Personally, I've enjoyed the players/stars we traded for or signed as free agents as much as the players/stars we drafted.

And most NBA players are mercenaries. The Lakers are unusual in that we had a couple of GOAT-level players who spent their entire careers here, but most of our ring teams are filled with guys we traded for or signed as free agents.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
strong9 wrote:

It's cool if some Lakers fans don't care about that homegrown superstar or role players leading the Lakers to a championship, but for others they prefer a Magic or Kobe that played, developed, and mature as a Laker since day 1. Like it or not, these Lebron Lakers aren't going to be embraced like the Showtime or Kobe Lakers, by a significant
portion of fans because of that.

I think we should just enjoy the moment, because in reality 5 years from now 2020 is going to be a year that everyone is going to want to forget. I'm not saying these are asterisk championships, but they are definitively going to be question mark championships, and that goes for all the sports this year. I'd say they are equal in terms of importance, but outside of L.A. neither probably means much, and the ratings pretty much prove it.

This whole asterisk talk originated from Phil Jackson and spread to other sports, imo. The 1982 NFL season was only 9 games and the SB champion was Washington, no one said an asterisk should be next to their championship, or the Atlanta Braves winning in 1995 in a shortened season, no one said anything. But Phil denigrated and laid insult to the Spurs Organization by saying their '99 championship shouldn't count and have an asterisk. From there, this whole asterisk discussion in sports started. I can see why Phil has numerous run ins with players, executives, and coaches throughout his time in the NBA, he says a lot of dumb stuff. Excellent coach if you give him the talent, but horrible people person.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Boston should get a little credit for developing Rondo and letting Betts walk.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject:

Interesting to think about as a strong case can be made for either side. If this championship helps convince Anthony Davis to stay it’s a point in the Lakers favor. And I’ve wanted to catch Boston in championships for a while now but it always looked like such a tall order. It’s amazing to see it happen.

Emotionally, the Dodger title feels similar to the first Laker championship I witnessed back in 2000, when Shaq, Kobe and others who had been there for a while and suffered repeated playoff failures finally broke through. I guess the game 7 comeback against Portland can be compared to the 3-1 comeback against Atlanta.

When you’re a fan of a team, nothing compares to the first title you see a team win.

The Dodgers winning 8 straight division titles and losing another World Series, which would be 3 losses in 4 years would have been devastating. I was tired of 1988 being the last time the Dodgers won. I’ve been tired of that for years now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: