2020 NBA DRAFT THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
As far as those weaknesses are concerned, I think someone like Phil Handy and Frank Vogel working with him on those is perfect for his growth.

It's very difficult to work with players with awareness/decision making issues.

Yeah the lack of passing feel, bad finishing around the rim and very poor defensive footwork and awareness scared me off. He projects to me as a one-way combo guard volume chucker/ bench scorer type, who would need to be hidden defensively come playoff time.

You listed a lot of reasons why I have him late 2nd to undrafted.

It doesn't help that he completely transformed his game from a slasher to a shooter. So, is that what I can bank on? One skill that he basically got this year?

Pass.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject:

UDFA Gleague target Jerrick Harding.

Reminds me of Justin Wright-Foreman from last years draft.

Just knows how to score like Isaiah Thomas did at Washington.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
As far as those weaknesses are concerned, I think someone like Phil Handy and Frank Vogel working with him on those is perfect for his growth.

It's very difficult to work with players with awareness/decision making issues.

Yeah the lack of passing feel, bad finishing around the rim and very poor defensive footwork and awareness scared me off. He projects to me as a one-way combo guard volume chucker/ bench scorer type, who would need to be hidden defensively come playoff time.

You listed a lot of reasons why I have him late 2nd to undrafted.

It doesn't help that he completely transformed his game from a slasher to a shooter. So, is that what I can bank on? One skill that he basically got this year?

Pass.

From games and vids I thought he gave effort but just lacked technique or awareness. Only 19, has good measureabless and athleticism.

There are only a few prospects at 28 I could expect to get playing time next year. For the rest a year or two of development can fix a lot of their issues.

I have been neutral on him and do not have a great feel for his talents but I believe there is enough there to see he could develop into a solid player.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Wasserman: Stanford's Tyrell Terry got people talking by measuring around 6'3" and weighing in at 174 pounds, a notable difference from the 6'2", 160 pounds Stanford lists him as. I've heard Terry linked to the Los Angeles Lakers.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
Wasserman: Stanford's Tyrell Terry got people talking by measuring around 6'3" and weighing in at 174 pounds, a notable difference from the 6'2", 160 pounds Stanford lists him as. I've heard Terry linked to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Kid is a deadly shooter. If he keeps training his body, could be a great player.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Even at 174 AFTER the strength gain?

Liiiigggghhhtttt

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Liiiigggghhhtttt

More interested in the possibility he may not be done growing.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Liiiigggghhhtttt

I'm wondering if those measurements are done, in shoes. Size is just one of the hurdles to convince me.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Liiiigggghhhtttt

Didn’t Steph Curry come into the draft at 6’3 and 180 pounds? And he’s been just sitting around 185-190 his whole career.

174 doesn’t seem that much of a problem at the same height. And Terry is coming in as a 20 year old sophomore. Curry was 21 in the draft. So give the kid a year it looks like.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Liiiigggghhhtttt

I'm wondering if those measurements are done, in shoes. Size is just one of the hurdles to convince me.

I doubt he lasts to #28 - if the Lakers even keep the pick - but earlier today Wasserman posted a draft rumors article that the Lakers (along with the Sixers and others) are looking Terry's way. Caveat that Wasserman's sources could be Terry's agent.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

Kevin O'Conner is pretty high on KILLIAN HAYES and thinks he might drop to 15 or so
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Liiiigggghhhtttt

Didn’t Steph Curry come into the draft at 6’3 and 180 pounds? And he’s been just sitting around 185-190 his whole career.

174 doesn’t seem that much of a problem at the same height. And Terry is coming in as a 20 year old sophomore. Curry was 21 in the draft. So give the kid a year it looks like.

Yes but he had other athletic tools and a better handle, even if he was considerably older as a draft prospect.

But that's the thing. Curry didn't strength train and he can still get to 190-200 comfortably. You think Terry has another 15lbs he can pack onto his frame?

Imho, this isn't "give a kid a year." I watched Curry since his sophomore year. I find Curry and Terry really incomparable as prospects.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Liiiigggghhhtttt

I doubt he lasts to #28 - if the Lakers even keep the pick - but earlier today Wasserman posted a draft rumors article that the Lakers (along with the Sixers and others) are looking Terry's way. Caveat that Wasserman's sources could be Terry's agent.

I personally wouldn't be happy with it, but I wasn't happy with LAL's picks in 2018. Mostly everything since 2014 aligned, including THT.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

UDFA Gleague target Tyler Hagedorn.

A 6'9" PF version of Duncan Robinson.

Smooth deep stroke, can also handle the ball and score at the basket.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Tyrell Terry won't be around at #28...
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Liiiigggghhhtttt

Yes but he had other athletic tools and a better handle, even if he was considerably older as a draft prospect.

But that's the thing. Curry didn't strength train and he can still get to 190-200 comfortably. You think Terry has another 15lbs he can pack onto his frame?

Imho, this isn't "give a kid a year." I watched Curry since his sophomore year. I find Curry and Terry really incomparable as prospects.

What do you mean that Curry didn't strength train?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I don't remember Curry needing to bulk 15lbs prior to his rookie year.

manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

He definitely required strength training to overcome the 17 ankle injuries he suffered in his first few years.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Liiiigggghhhtttt

I’m not saying Terry is the next Curry especially in terms of skill set by any stretch of the imagination. Just that being 6’3 and 174, I wouldn’t classify that as being “ligghhhhht” when we’ve had players with comparable heights/weights succeed just fine. Hell even lighter.

The fact that Muggsy Bogues could play at the level he did at 5’3 and 135 pounds, in the prime era of players pushing and shoving others to the ground like the 90s Knicks, is something that should be praised as a freaking miracle.

In this softer era of no hand-checking, “freedom of movement”, three point shooters getting to the line more than players driving to the basket simply by spreading your legs at the defender while chucking a 3, players like Curry, Trae Young, and now Terry can succeed just fine even at lighter weight. Isaiah Thomas before his major injuries was an MVP candidate for Christ sake.

In my opinion anyway. Again not saying Terry is the next Curry or anything crazy like that, just that 174 at 6’3 ain’t that light, especially in today’s NBA.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Klutch draft pro day is airing on Espn2 right now and the LaKlutcher kontingent is in the building.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sedano/status/1321965243082235905
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

He definitely required strength training to overcome the 17 ankle injuries he suffered in his first few years.

Well into his NBA life. That's what I mean. He didn't start a lower baseline like Terry is.

It also took special kind of training for him to do it, and he stated he didn't want to get over 190.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14750602/how-golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-got-best-worst-ankles-sports

You think Terry has another 16lbs of upside he can add to his frame without losing certain athletic attributes?

Adding 30lbs from 160lbs as a baseline changes a lot.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I’m not saying Terry is the next Curry especially in terms of skill set by any stretch of the imagination. Just that being 6’3 and 174, I wouldn’t classify that as being “ligghhhhht” when we’ve had players with comparable heights/weights succeed just fine. Hell even lighter.

Considering LAL is a big team, and even Caruso got pushed around by some PGs and SGs at 200lbs, in the playoffs, that's light.

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject:

I, for one, didn't think Trae Young would survive in the NBA, yet, there he is light as ever...B. Ingram ?

Those are special players of course, but, this league & its players surprise you, IMO.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
I, for one, didn't think Trae Young would survive in the NBA, yet, there he is light as ever...B. Ingram ?

Those are special players of course, but, this league & its players surprise you, IMO.

Trae has other athletic tools to compensate. Change of speed, change of direction, and his best skill is passing, not shooting.

Brandon Ingram, wingspan of centers while playing wing. Proof of playing physical at Duke when Amile Jefferson got hurt and he played 4. Excelled at it and led the NCAA at PPP in Iso.

But if you're banking on Terry being "special" athletically and just adding on 30lbs without losing flexibility and fluidity, then that's your risk of a pick, not mine.

IMHO, he added strength, just to get to a baseline level of strength. Fwiw, De'Aaron Fox weighed the same, but he too, is a physical guard (proof in the FTr), with elite speed/quickness, etc.

For what the Lakers do, I don't see how Terry is as easy of a fit, especially defensively. I saw enough of Caruso getting pushed around, and KCP vs bigger wings. Why would I opt for Terry? Because he's a special shooter? Cassius Winston isn't?

manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Well into his NBA life. That's what I mean. He didn't start a lower baseline like Terry is.

It also took special kind of training for him to do it, and he stated he didn't want to get over 190.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14750602/how-golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-got-best-worst-ankles-sports

You think Terry has another 16lbs of upside he can add to his frame without losing certain athletic attributes?

Adding 30lbs from 160lbs as a baseline changes a lot.

I don't know anything about Terry or any of these prospects. You're one of the best when it comes to that. Just wasn't sure what you meant with that statement about Curry.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 25 of 48
Jump to: