what future star do you envision playing with the lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I will be surprised when f Lebron isn’t here until at least age 40.

Reduced role, won't matter as much
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He won’t be playing for free. I think that he follows Kobe’s path which is something I respected.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He won’t be playing for free. I think that he follows Kobe’s path which is something I respected.

He won't be playing for the max at 40

EDIT: He won't be playing for near the max. AD will be the superstar of the team, we'll have our eyes set on a younger star to accommodate him, the circumstances are very different from Kobe's last contract. At age 40 Lebron will be a role player and if he still wants to play he accepts a role players contract
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

AD will be 28 during next year's playoff run. I am assuming this young star needs to be the second best player on a championship team. Lebron aside. For this hypothetical, you need a young star pretty soon, plus that young star needs to be a playoff great player which usually means experience.

Lilliard is 30, so he's not young young, but he'd fit the bill immediately as in 31 years old then. Can't be in two years probably though.

Beal is not a superstar on the order required to be a number 2. Surely, as the number 3 now though.

If Booker is more than I think he is (which is pretty good, Beal-ish or better, but not Luka-ish), then he could be groomed as the eventual #2 to AD's #1.

We will never get Luka. Sadly, he's the guy, but he'll probably rule Dallas and gravity and Cuban will bring players, including a superstar, to him. Jamaal Murray same (although not as gifted as Luka), not going to leave if Denver is smart.

Giannis seems like a pipe, and doesn't fit with AD exactly, but would theoretically work. Might as well say Jokic as Giannis. I don't think either'd come to pair with AD, mainly bc of $$$.

Ja seems bigger than Memphis, but too much development time perhaps.

Lonzo not a star. Ingram not a superstar. Trae Young is no defense and we are going to need to hang our hat on great D as a team throughout AD's tenure. Otherwise, he's going to get run down having to do too much.

Tatum is probably perfect timing, skills, flexibility, etc. He seems like a pipe dream too. But of those pipe dreams, probably Lilliard or Tatum, lesser degree Morant. Bc I really think Luka is less probable than even those pipe dreams, although he would be magnificent with AD.

So Liliard within two years before his prime leaves, or Tatum and that's about all I could see even hypothetically I guess.

If the idea is Lebron still great and continuing, then fine a #3, but then when Lebron is done or lesser, we don't have the second guy for AD.

Butler - what might have been. Too bad.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I kinda want Tatum, a la Mookie Betts, just to rub it in and make boston so, so, so sad.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

There were two parts to Kobe's huge payout. One, he wanted it, and two, the team gave it to him. That was partly to reward the most important player in Laker history at a time when there weren't many chances of attracting a free agent anyway.

Once LeBron is at the tail end of his career, the Lakers aren't going to give him a huge contract. He hasn't earned that through a two decade career with the Lakers, and with AD, we are still competing for the championship so we need to preserve the cap space to do so.

Last edited by markjay on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:41 am; edited 3 times in total
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
manlisten wrote:
It's going to be Beal.

Beal is already 27, he will be well over 30 and at the end of his prime when Lebron is likely out of here.

I'm pretty sure most people that realistically think about Beal are thinking about getting him during the 2022 free agency where Lebron and likely everyone else outside of maybe AD will be coming off the books. I think if we keep the space open that's an extremely likely possibility especially when you see all the other guys that will be possibly hitting free agency that same off season.

Obviously, there's still a huge "what if" with what Lebron will do at that point but that's after 2 more years and I feel fairly confident Lebron will not be capable of being a number 1a/b option anymore and will probably be more of a floor general/assist guy at that point that can still pick his spots and score 15-20 with somewhat ease. It will be very different then when Kobe got that late career massive contract because we will have AD right in his prime and if Lebron is a shell of who he is today and asks for close to max i'm sure AD is probably looking to very possibly leave elsewhere. I think Lebron takes a bit of a backseat to let AD and the Lakers get the new elite sidekick which allows him to lower his minutes/take games off etc. but still be a huge part of the big 3.

You can debate on whether the Lakers will have the space or not with respect to what Lebron will do but the chance is clearly there in 2022. I will say I don't see Lebron opting out and taking less in 2021 though like some people do unless the unlikely happens and we get the Deng contract off the books and even then I just don't see Giannis joining the Lakers but it becomes a conversation at least.

Agree with every word. A trio of Fox/Beal/AD is my pipe dream but a lot would have to happen to get Fox whereas Beal would be a more seamless acquisition. Don't see Giannis as an LA guy at all or a great fit and hope the Lakers don't go out their way to chase him.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Correct me if I'm wrong but most players on rookie contracts (most) sign their extensions and are basically with the team for 8 years right? We traded AD in year 7 since year 8 was an expiring. If we wanted a trade we'd have to look at players who expire in year 8 (and thus trade them in year 7).

so lebron is expiring in 2 years and if we re-load then we are looking at players that are either in year 5 or 6? A year 5 player should be in the first year on his extension and then 2 years later they should be disgruntled enough to request a trade OR a 6 yr player who will expire in 2 years.

Giannis is currently entering into year 8 so a year 5 or year 6 player would be draft class of 2015 or 2014.

2014 - Embiid, LaVine
2015 - KAT, Russell, Porzingis, Booker
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
We'll be throwing a "coming home" party for superstar Lonzo Ball.

LOL, didn't you read the thread title?

It clearly says "STAR"

And career numbers of 10.7ppg and 6.6apg sort of scream "journeyman" or "bench player"...

Last edited by unleasHell on Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject:

If we can pull something for one of these four would be amazing:

1) Trae Young
2) Ja Morant
3) Luka Doncic
4) Donovan Mitchell

Any of these four I would be more than happy. IMO Giannis is not a possibility.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
I kinda want Tatum, a la Mookie Betts, just to rub it in and make boston so, so, so sad.

Yes. I would spend the next forever listening to Bill Simmons cry about that.

Luka would be great too and would devastate sports fans everywhere.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but most players on rookie contracts (most) sign their extensions and are basically with the team for 8 years right? We traded AD in year 7 since year 8 was an expiring. If we wanted a trade we'd have to look at players who expire in year 8 (and thus trade them in year 7).

so lebron is expiring in 2 years and if we re-load then we are looking at players that are either in year 5 or 6? A year 5 player should be in the first year on his extension and then 2 years later they should be disgruntled enough to request a trade OR a 6 yr player who will expire in 2 years.

Giannis is currently entering into year 8 so a year 5 or year 6 player would be draft class of 2015 or 2014.

2014 - Embiid, LaVine

For the future, it will be good when “one and done” is over and the top high school stars can join the NBA right out of high school. Since we are a premiere free agent destination, we'll potentially be able to sign top free agents one year younger.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

There were two parts to Kobe's huge payout. One, he wanted it, and two, the team gave it to him. That was partly to reward the most important player in Laker history at a time when there weren't many chances of attracting a free agent anyway.

Once LeBron is at the tail end of his career, the Lakers aren't going to give him a huge contract. He hasn't earned that through a two decade career with the Lakers, and with AD, we are still competing for the championship so we need to preserve the cap space to do so.

Right, Jeanie is going to tell Lebron that they aren’t going to pay him and that he should go elsewhere. That will play great with player agents, cementing the rumor that the Lakers are cheap. Bringing in Lebron was a case of him being here as long as he wants. With the results so far that hasn’t appeared to change.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

2014 - Embiid, LaVine

For the future, it will be good when “one and done” is over and the top high school stars can join the NBA right out of high school. Since we are a premiere free agent destination, we'll potentially be able to sign top free agents one year younger.

We have signed two star FAs in 23 years.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

Isn’t Bradley Beal statistically the worst defender at his position in the entire league, and not only that, but all time? Doesn’t seem to fit our defense-oriented identity.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2876876-exposing-nbas-worst-defender-at-every-position

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

I'm going with Ben Simmons since he openly wanted to be drafted by the Lakers in the 2016 draft since he was already a Lakers fan, is repped by Klutch, and Lakers already have AD on the roster, so can see some nice tampering going on as well. However, would most likely have to happen via trade in the 2024 offseason or by free agency in the 2025 offseason. Lakers might not have the ideal trade assets by 2024, but Klutch showed with the AD trade they aren't afraid to muddy the waters to get a star player to their preferred destination. Rich Paul told Ainge & the Celtics to kick rocks about trading for AD since they let it be known he was going to leave in a year if they traded for him. So, can see somewhat of a similar occurrence if a star player/Klutch client let it be known they want to be a Laker.
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

Lol I can almost guarantee lebron resigns here for the end of his career. Lakers don’t take a dump on its stars they’re actually known for the opposite. Lebron is the biggest name in sports not just basketball.

He will retire a laker in my estimation and will be an amazing 3rd option even as he ages. Dude will be like Jason Kidd with the Mavericks when he’s 38-40. Give you like 15ppg 8rpg 8apg

He’s 6-9 that ain’t changing

I think there’s not chance he’s not here for the long haul. He’ll operate out of the post in his twilight years and spot up for 3 whilst still dishing the ball out from the post to mid post
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: