Xmas start ( Draft 11/18, Free Agency 11/20, Camp 12/1, Games 12/22, GSW testing for fans )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

How can they realistically start 12/22 without having done any of the plan in yet?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1324425251761999872
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
How can they realistically start 12/22 without having done any of the plan in yet?

I’m sure there are a couple of proposed plans that just need to be voted on.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
focus wrote:
Just a simple question, is the upcoming season going to be in a bubble? It's in a month and Covid is getting worse. Why wouldn't there be another bubble?

Still up in the air per NBA.

Ideally, they would like the teams to play in home arenas with limited travel but they said regional bubbles is also a possibility if there are government restrictions for some markets. Raptors for example might play in Nashville or Florida.

With the start of the season 1 month and a half to go, plenty of time for the NBA to see what’s the best course of action, if the Covid cases drop in significant numbers I could see the NBA teams being allowed to play in there arena.

There are two big impediments to Covid cases dropping in the next six weeks. The first happened four days ago and was called Halloween. The second occurs three weeks from tomorrow and is called Thanksgiving. From what I have heard, there was a lot of "non-properly socially distanced" activities on Halloween. Thanksgiving traditionally involves a lot of travel which will spread the virus; Covid cases are now spiking in some colleges and universities and when these students return home they will bring the virus with them. The modelers probably expect to see some more spiking in Covid diagnoses before the New Year.

I don't think Covid will drop at all unless their is an available vaccine.

I wonder if NBA admins are working like vote counters around the clock to get things somewhat figured out by the start of the season.

Over the course of the season, Covid situation may have ebbs and flows or flows and flows so NBA has to plan ahead what the responses to the various scenarios over different time periods would be. Seems like a lot of work by 12/22.

If a vaccine is developed, seems likely that NBA players who want it will somehow be among the first to get vaccinated compared to general population.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject:

per shams
The National Basketball Players Association has voted to tentatively approve NBA’s proposal for the 2020-21 campaign starting on Dec. 22 and playing 72-game season, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

NBA set to tip off Christmas week.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
per shams
The National Basketball Players Association has voted to tentatively approve NBA’s proposal for the 2020-21 campaign starting on Dec. 22 and playing 72-game season, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

Wow. What a short turnaround from the finals. Feels like we didn’t even have an off-season.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Us and Warriors on Christmas Day. I think they go that route
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
per shams

Wow. What a short turnaround from the finals. Feels like we didn’t even have an off-season.

not surprised, they just had to see how the lost revenue directly impacts their paychecks to support this
Im still at a lost as to how this season is going to work with this pandemic... the NFL is BARELY chugging along with all the infections that keeps shutting down teams but the fact that teams play only once a week helps alot on that. Its going to be a nightmare for the NBA as they play several games a week.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:

Lakers/ Nets
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Was really hoping for the MLK day restart but it is what it is.

I expect free agency , NBA draft , ext. to go crazy these upcoming weeks.
There’s still a lot of teams out there with No POBO, Coach, and even enough players to be considered a roster.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
dcastillo wrote:

Lakers/ Nets

This would be the best but I’m guessing Lakers/Clippers
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
dcastillo wrote:

Lakers/ Nets

This would be the best but I’m guessing Lakers/Clippers

I think the clippers lost alot of shine. Lakers/warriors or Lakers/nets is my guess.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Too many games. These millionaires and billionaires are greedy. I'd prefer a short 41-game season because of Lebron. Not only it would increase the Laker's chances of a repeat but it would also put less mileage on Lebron allowing him to stay dominant for more years.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Too many games. These millionaires and billionaires are greedy. I'd prefer a short 41-game season because of Lebron. Not only it would increase the Laker's chances of a repeat but it would also put less mileage on Lebron allowing him to stay dominant for more years.

The only chance of getting a short season is a lock out and that’s not happening anymore plus Perkins said today that LeBron is a different beast and that he will be ready to go when the season begins, he knows LeBron a lot more then all of us.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I always loved load management.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Well, this will have to be the hardest title defense in NBA history having to play 72 games after winning the finals in less than 2 months time. Lakers just won the NBA title 3 weeks ago lol
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Money rules all. Players from the other 20+ teams weren’t going to lose millions of dollars just to accommodate the few teams that went deep into the playoffs last season. A lot of these guys have been sitting for longer than the average off season too, and are probably chomping at the bit to play. Push comes to shove, I doubt Lebron/AD/Butler/etc would want to lose a huge fraction of their salary either. The entire question was how many games were needed to keep the super lucrative TV contracts, and it looks like 72 games was the answer. Better to spread them out over a longer period of time and maybe have a wink wink deal with Lebron and the other players who went far in the playoffs to turn a blind eye to load managing during the season than to shoot the golden goose.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Money rules all. Players from the other 20+ teams weren’t going to lose millions of dollars just to accommodate the few teams that went deep into the playoffs last season. A lot of these guys have been sitting for longer than the average off season too, and are probably chomping at the bit to play. Push comes to shove, I doubt Lebron/AD/Butler/etc would want to lose a huge fraction of their salary either. The entire question was how many games were needed to keep the super lucrative TV contracts, and it looks like 72 games was the answer. Better to spread them out over a longer period of time and maybe have a wink wink deal with Lebron and the other players who went far in the playoffs to turn a blind eye to load managing during the season than to shoot the golden goose.

People also need to remember that the NBA took FOUR MONTHS off which is longer than most normal off-seasons.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject:

Just load manage LBJ and AD for a whole month, please
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
People also need to remember that the NBA took FOUR MONTHS off which is longer than most normal off-seasons.

Yep. The quick turnaround story is really getting exaggerated. The Lakers have played 29 games since March. Sure, playoff games are more strenuous, but on the other hand there was no travel.

I'm not saying that the short break is nothing. I'm saying that it's exaggerated. And now we are about to go through a season in which every injury gets blamed on the short turnaround.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

You new here? Not to Lakersground, but to the USA (or Earth)?

With the covid shutdowns, money is kinda important and it should not be surprising at all, that the NBA Team Owners want to get back to making it! And they definitely don't care what us or the players prefer...

Also, the more games that are played, the more money NBA players make, as a wise player once said "We got to feed our families"...

Cheers...
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

With the covid shutdowns, money is kinda important and it should not be surprising at all, that the NBA Team Owners want to get back to making it! And they definitely don't care what us or the players prefer...

Also, the more games that are played, the more money NBA players make, as a wise player once said "We got to feed our families"...

Cheers...

Why focus on just the “greedy owners”?

The ripple effect of the money generated goes far beyond just the owners and players. The Industry behind the league extends to the networks producing and marketing the games. Or the organizations and arenas generating some cash flow for the employees that support the travel and games. Even have to consider the millions that local governments will be able to collect in taxes.

Issue is much deeper then “greedy owners”. The ripple effect of financial impact is much more nuanced then “Its not fair to James’ / Lakers’ off-season rest”. The Lakers chances to repeat is the last thing on most people’s minds right now. That is just our myopic viewpoint as Laker fans.

Would not be surprised to see the Lakers/ Celtics on Christmas Day. NBA needs as much bang for the buck as they can generate that first week to draw in fans.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yep. The quick turnaround story is really getting exaggerated. The Lakers have played 29 games since March. Sure, playoff games are more strenuous, but on the other hand there was no travel.

I'm not saying that the short break is nothing. I'm saying that it's exaggerated. And now we are about to go through a season in which every injury gets blamed on the short turnaround.

Agree in full. I still would not mind if Lebron took it easy early if he deemed that the best way to perform, for himself and from a team leadership view, in the playoffs. What do you think?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Cheers...

Why focus on just the “greedy owners”?

The ripple effect of the money generated goes far beyond just the owners and players. The Industry behind the league extends to the networks producing and marketing the games. Or the organizations and arenas generating some cash flow for the employees that support the travel and games. Even have to consider the millions that local governments will be able to collect in taxes.

Issue is much deeper then “greedy owners”. The ripple effect of financial impact is much more nuanced then “Its not fair to James’ / Lakers’ off-season rest”. The Lakers chances to repeat is the last thing on most people’s minds right now. That is just our myopic viewpoint as Laker fans.

Would not be surprised to see the Lakers/ Celtics on Christmas Day. NBA needs as much bang for the buck as they can generate that first week to draw in fans.

Financially, the players are hurting the most. Many of the guys on rookie deals over-extend. Fiscal discipline is not a common trait among athletes (or people in general) and quite a lot of players live game-check to game-check.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Some things, like revenue, are bigger than Lebron and the Lakers. The rest of the league really doesn’t care. I would expect to see what we are seeing from the NFL, players missing games because of COVID and lots of nagging injuries. The alternative is to not play, which I would be fine with as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: