Xmas start ( Draft 11/18, Free Agency 11/20, Camp 12/1, Games 12/22, GSW testing for fans )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1324425251761999872

Not in California
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

Probably play west coast games in the bubble in Las Vegas.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Too many games. These millionaires and billionaires are greedy. I'd prefer a short 41-game season because of Lebron. Not only it would increase the Laker's chances of a repeat but it would also put less mileage on Lebron allowing him to stay dominant for more years.

They players aren't going to leave money on the table. They would rather do load management, play their 72 games and keep the $$$$.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
People also need to remember that the NBA took FOUR MONTHS off which is longer than most normal off-seasons.

Yep. The quick turnaround story is really getting exaggerated. The Lakers have played 29 games since March. Sure, playoff games are more strenuous, but on the other hand there was no travel.

I'm not saying that the short break is nothing. I'm saying that it's exaggerated. And now we are about to go through a season in which every injury gets blamed on the short turnaround.

Agree in full. I still would not mind if Lebron took it easy early if he deemed that the best way to perform, for himself and from a team leadership view, in the playoffs. What do you think?

I think Lebron has earned the benefit of the doubt for whatever he decides to do. He delivered for us. If he wants to go full Wilt mode and play 48 minutes, I’d trust him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

That would be a good idea
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

Are they going to do multiple bubbles? Fan-less or with limited capacity? Anyone know?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

Are they going to do multiple bubbles? Fan-less or with limited capacity? Anyone know?

Multiple bubbles? Just trying to keep the one bubble going in Orlando was difficult. Coaches and players were upset about the 3 month isolation. Avery Bradley and other players sat out rather than potentially expose their families. Danuel House was sent home. None of those types of issues are going to change with a Xmas start. The NBA is going to try to do this for 72 games + playoffs over 7 months with teams traveling from bubble to bubble? I will be very impressed if they can pull that off.

The only way starting the NBA before Xmas makes any sense to me is if the NBA believes that it can get vaccines for the players and coaches. Otherwise, we have the exact same issues as last summer.

Last edited by Annihilator on Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

According to the link they want to fill the boxes. That would limit player and fan interaction. I haven’t paid attention to Sac and San Francisco but LA County is far from allowing fans in the building.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
focus wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
People also need to remember that the NBA took FOUR MONTHS off which is longer than most normal off-seasons.

Yep. The quick turnaround story is really getting exaggerated. The Lakers have played 29 games since March. Sure, playoff games are more strenuous, but on the other hand there was no travel.

I'm not saying that the short break is nothing. I'm saying that it's exaggerated. And now we are about to go through a season in which every injury gets blamed on the short turnaround.

Agree in full. I still would not mind if Lebron took it easy early if he deemed that the best way to perform, for himself and from a team leadership view, in the playoffs. What do you think?

I think Lebron has earned the benefit of the doubt for whatever he decides to do. He delivered for us. If he wants to go full Wilt mode and play 48 minutes, I’d trust him.

If CP3 ends up coming here, seems unlikely Lebron would actually choose to miss games, with what you said earlier in mind. Partly because he could sort of chill on ball handling duties during the game. And not just ball handling, but leadership duties too. Maybe it'd be nice not to always be the one barking out positioning calls or seeing what others might not on defense.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
If CP3 ends up coming here, seems unlikely Lebron would actually choose to miss games, with what you said earlier in mind. Partly because he could sort of chill on ball handling duties during the game. And not just ball handling, but leadership duties too. Maybe it'd be nice not to always be the one barking out positioning calls or seeing what others might not on defense.

The CP3 trade is fun to talk about, but I don't see it happening.

But to your point, I'm skeptical about scenarios involving superstars backing off from the way they usually play. How many times did we hear this scenario with Kobe over the years? Kobe never really changed the way he played, even with Nash or Sessions or whoever. Sure, none of those guys were at as high as level as 2020 Chris Paul when they arrived at the Lakers. But still, Kobe didn't budge. He talked about it a little, but when they hit the floor, Kobe was Kobe.

Maybe Lebron would really turn down the intensity. But I'm skeptical. Lebron plays the way he does because that's the way he wants to play. He's an alpha, and he isn't going to let one of the other dogs lead the pack for a little while. I could be proven dead wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
focus wrote:

The CP3 trade is fun to talk about, but I don't see it happening.

But to your point, I'm skeptical about scenarios involving superstars backing off from the way they usually play. How many times did we hear this scenario with Kobe over the years? Kobe never really changed the way he played, even with Nash or Sessions or whoever. Sure, none of those guys were at as high as level as 2020 Chris Paul when they arrived at the Lakers. But still, Kobe didn't budge. He talked about it a little, but when they hit the floor, Kobe was Kobe.

Maybe Lebron would really turn down the intensity. But I'm skeptical. Lebron plays the way he does because that's the way he wants to play. He's an alpha, and he isn't going to let one of the other dogs lead the pack for a little while. I could be proven dead wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

What about GSW when Durant joined? Curry and Durant both took fewer shots.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What about GSW when Durant joined? Curry and Durant both took fewer shots.

We aren't talking about the number of shots, but for the record, Curry took 1.9 fewer shots and played 0.8 fewer minutes per game. You might see something similar with Lebron, just like we did with Kobe when Gasol arrived. But again, that's not what we're talking about.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

Multiple bubbles? Just trying to keep the one bubble going in Orlando was difficult. Coaches and players were upset about the 3 month isolation. Avery Bradley and other players sat out rather than potentially expose their families. Danuel House was sent home. None of those types of issues are going to change with a Xmas start. The NBA is going to try to do this for 72 games + playoffs over 7 months with teams traveling from bubble to bubble? I will be very impressed if they can pull that off.

The only way starting the NBA before Xmas makes any sense to me is if the NBA believes that it can get vaccines for the players and coaches. Otherwise, we have the exact same issues as last summer.

First off, let’s be clear about the reasoning of players opting out of the bubble. It had nothing to do with “protecting their families”. The families were not in the bubble until the final month, and only if they chose to be there.

Secondly in response to some of the ongoing narrative of the big three can cruise all season and just get to playoffs. How? All three are playing about 32 mpg. Seems there has to be some level of a quality bench if that was to work. Especially if any choose to load manage or need several games off due to hamstring, groin or shoulder issues. All very real concerns with these three.

Lastly, would be really interesting to see how Vogel designs the offense where James give up the ball. Or how James or Paul become off ball players. Would it be an offense of my turn/ your turn? From going out the roles and chemistry may be the case aching staffs biggest challenge other then the old guys “pacing “ themselves on defense and rebounding most of the season.

How the Lakers choose to build up the this roster and challenge for another ring is going to be a hell of an experiment.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

First off, let’s be clear about the reasoning of players opting out of the bubble. It had nothing to do with “protecting their families”. The families were not in the bubble until the final month, and only if they chose to be there.

ESPN reported the following about AB's reasoning for not coming to Orlando (link):
Quote:
According to ESPN, the primary reason Bradley is opting out of participating in the bubble in Orlando is because his six-year-old son Liam has had prior struggles recovering from respiratory illnesses, which could be problematic if he were to contract COVID-19.

"As committed to my Lakers teammates and the organization as I am, I ultimately play basketball for my family," Bradley told ESPN. "And so, at a time like this, I can't imagine making any decision that might put my family's health and well-being at even the slightest risk.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

NEW: Health officials around NBA cautious of 12/22 start, largely because of 72-game slate & travel now involved. It’s tougher for those that just played & those that haven’t since March. “This is going to be another period of unchartered territory." https://t.co/DyWiSkOlaJ

https://twitter.com/Baxter/status/1325879281973538816?s=19
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

ESPN reported the following about AB's reasoning for not coming to Orlando (link):
Quote:
According to ESPN, the primary reason Bradley is opting out of participating in the bubble in Orlando is because his six-year-old son Liam has had prior struggles recovering from respiratory illnesses, which could be problematic if he were to contract COVID-19.

"As committed to my Lakers teammates and the organization as I am, I ultimately play basketball for my family," Bradley told ESPN. "And so, at a time like this, I can't imagine making any decision that might put my family's health and well-being at even the slightest risk.

Not sure what your point is. That is media spin.

How would his son have been at risk if he played?

Bradley inside the bubble means no contact with son until after the playoffs. No contact, no threat.

Theoretically much safer then Bradley staying home and going about his daily business and coming home nightly for those same three months. Did Bradley and the rest of the his family go into strict quarantine and remain so to this day? If not, kind of makes the ESPN statement silly.

He chose to not participate. Simple. No need to embellish it.

And I don’t know for a fact what he and his family are doing. But has the risk changed? Will Bradley choose to not play again? Or start the season but not go home? Only without the certainty of the bubble?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

It should still be after MLK day.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

Quote:

Bradley inside the bubble means no contact with son until after the playoffs. No contact, no threat.

Theoretically much safer then Bradley staying home and going about his daily business and coming home nightly for those same three months. Did Bradley and the rest of the his family go into strict quarantine and remain so to this day? If not, kind of makes the ESPN statement silly.

And I don’t know for a fact what he and his family are doing. But has the risk changed? Will Bradley choose to not play again? Or start the season but not go home? Only without the certainty of the bubble?

I think the point is clear. I am not embellishing. Avery Bradley told ESPN that he wasn't going to participate in the bubble because he wanted to keep his family safe. If you have some solid inside information that says that Avery Bradley was misquoted or that he was lying then you might have a point. Otherwise, there was at least one player who decided to not participate in the Orlando Bubble since he felt that that was the best way to keep his family safe. You may not like AB's reasoning but that is different than saying that no player thought that way. It seems pretty obvious that at least one player did.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not in California

Quote:

I think the point is clear. I am not embellishing. Avery Bradley told ESPN that he wasn't going to participate in the bubble because he wanted to keep his family safe. If you have some solid inside information that says that Avery Bradley was misquoted or that he was lying then you might have a point. Otherwise, there was at least one player who decided to not participate in the Orlando Bubble since he felt that that was the best way to keep his family safe. You may not like AB's reasoning but that is different than saying that no player thought that way. It seems pretty obvious that at least one player did.

People also need some major context here too because when Bradley made that decisions and said that there were still MASSIVE question marks and uncertainty around the bubble and Covid as a whole while many were saying it would be a failure before the season could end. Nobody on the outside knew for certain it would end up being the success it was. Who knows for sure but i'm guessing if Bradley knew it would be as successful and safe as it ended up being he probably would have played.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject:

Season will start Dec 22. Get your load management ready for all the players who only want to show up for the playoffs.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject:

The Lakers offseason will be 71 days. smh
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Really not seeing the issue of starting the season in Dec.

Honestly could not have asked for a better scenario last season then teams having four months off before returning to play a 31 game “season” and a championship. Advantage Lakers.

Now two months off before starting another season with full salary. Yet still the handwringing about load management and not enough rest?

Don’t want these issues don’t build a team primarily around aging battle worn players and then pack the bench with even more aging vets questionably capable of picking up the slack in non marquee nights or the playoffs.

Laker fans and players need to let it go. This is the schedule this season. Accept it. Because I’m guessing the rest of the league’s concern for the lack of rest for the tired Lakers lies somewhere between “couldn’t care” and “thrilled”. Advantage, rest of the league.

Curious how much Heat players or fans have complained of the short rest? Did any have surgery after the Finals?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Because I’m guessing the rest of the league’s concern for the lack of rest for the tired Lakers lies somewhere between “couldn’t care” and “thrilled”. Advantage, rest of the league.

This sounds about right.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Shams:

Quote:
The Lakers‘ home games will be held without fans until further notice for the 2020-21 season.

Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
The Lakers offseason will be 71 days. smh

Yeah but they did get a 4 month break last season so it's not as bad as it sounds.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: