Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 298, 299, 300

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Also our team didn’t even want to give Ryu the $80 million.

Quote:
They were open to offering Ryu a four-year contract, but with a considerably lower average annual value than he received from the Blue Jays, according to a person familiar with the situation who requested anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak on the record.

LINK

So what would the team have been willing to offer Ryu? $70 million? $60 million? And now Bauer could get $128 million which would be almost double the amount?

In any case, the point isn’t just to complain about losing Ryu. We won without him anyway and it’s possible that if Ryu stayed we lose in the playoffs. So this entire season/postseason was amazing.

The point is it would surprise me to see the team willing to pay so much more for Bauer, who has been incredible recently but it does look like a gamble to pick him up.

Ryu turned 33 this year and has a history of shoulder issues. Bauer will be 30 in January, so if he signed a 4-year deal, he'd be the same age at the end of his deal that Ryu was at the beginning of his. The Dodgers saw Ryu as an injury risk and fragile, though of course he obviously had become a top-end starter for them. I think they would see Bauer as a guy who would be more likely to be a workhorse type.

That all said, I am with you that I am not sure giving him a big multi-year deal is the right way to go. As I mentioned, I'm not convinced that he would be great every year, like I feel about someone like Gerrit Cole, for example. For another, perhaps having that contract on the books would make it harder to keep Seager, or Bellinger down the road, or to do something else big. But if they really do plan to let Kershaw go after 2021, I guess it could make sense. Personally, I think Kershaw will re-up on a 2 or 3-year deal with a reduced AAV, though he'll still make big money.

I think it’s either Kershaw or Bauer, not both.

I think they leave 2 spots open for Gonsolin/May/Gray/Gonzalez.

So Buehler and Urias are locks.
One more spot for Bauer/Kershaw then the last 2 spots open.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Also our team didn’t even want to give Ryu the $80 million.

Quote:
They were open to offering Ryu a four-year contract, but with a considerably lower average annual value than he received from the Blue Jays, according to a person familiar with the situation who requested anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak on the record.

LINK

So what would the team have been willing to offer Ryu? $70 million? $60 million? And now Bauer could get $128 million which would be almost double the amount?

In any case, the point isn’t just to complain about losing Ryu. We won without him anyway and it’s possible that if Ryu stayed we lose in the playoffs. So this entire season/postseason was amazing.

The point is it would surprise me to see the team willing to pay so much more for Bauer, who has been incredible recently but it does look like a gamble to pick him up.

Ryu turned 33 this year and has a history of shoulder issues. Bauer will be 30 in January, so if he signed a 4-year deal, he'd be the same age at the end of his deal that Ryu was at the beginning of his. The Dodgers saw Ryu as an injury risk and fragile, though of course he obviously had become a top-end starter for them. I think they would see Bauer as a guy who would be more likely to be a workhorse type.

That all said, I am with you that I am not sure giving him a big multi-year deal is the right way to go. As I mentioned, I'm not convinced that he would be great every year, like I feel about someone like Gerrit Cole, for example. For another, perhaps having that contract on the books would make it harder to keep Seager, or Bellinger down the road, or to do something else big. But if they really do plan to let Kershaw go after 2021, I guess it could make sense. Personally, I think Kershaw will re-up on a 2 or 3-year deal with a reduced AAV, though he'll still make big money.

$80 million almost looks cheap to me when I see a number like $128 million. However I am intrigued by the idea of picking up Bauer for obvious reasons. I can’t ignore the eras he put up in 2 of the last 3 seasons. Hopefully he would win me over quickly like Mookie did.

One thing that I noticed is it’s easy to get exited over a new player, and take for granted some of the players we are used to seeing. We do have a championship team that is better than the 2019 team that won 106 games. I’d like the front office to keep as many of those players as they can, and that’s a higher priority to me than adding players (replacing Jansen is the one big exception).

And despite their playoff struggles, May and Gonsolin put up outstanding eras in the regular season (and they did well the previous season too). And that was with the DH. I think with this Dodger team backing them up, they can win a lot of games next season. And so can Urias.

Buehler had the 5th best era amongst all the starting pitchers on the team. And his era wasn’t bad at all at 3.44. Only Stripling was worse. Now the team adds Price without losing anything and Stripling is gone. So the team has a lot of strength in this area. Adding Bauer would be making a strength of the team even stronger. OTOH, there is the saying you can never have too much pitching.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

^
We bid pretty heavily on Gerrit Cole last winter, so there's precedent for us going for a pitcher we think is ace-like. I don't know if we will think Bauer qualifies as such, should it become a major bidding war, though.

I'm intrigued by the idea of just adding Price back to the rotation, getting Hendriks (who shouldn't be overly expensive this winter; his AAV would be similar to what we paid Treinen in '20), and trying to swing a deal for another star player with 1 or 2 years left on his deal.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I read in some rumor that the other player was DJ La Mahieu who would be our permanent 2nd basemàn. Lux wod then be shipped in a deal for Hader with other pieces.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
I read in some rumor that the other player was DJ La Mahieu who would be our permanent 2nd basemàn. Lux wod then be shipped in a deal for Hader with other pieces.

please be true
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I don’t trust Hader. I think he’s losing his effectiveness. Brewers really used him alot. He’s getting more expensive as well.

Also, I think Chris Taylor’s the starting 2nd baseman heading into next year.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject:

As stated erarlier, if Dodgers get a stud starter like Bauer you can move Urias to the pen in a Hader role, hence no real need to actually trade for Hader.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
As stated erarlier, if Dodgers get a stud starter like Bauer you can move Urias to the pen in a Hader role, hence no real need to actually trade for Hader.

A starter of Urias’ caliber probably cost between $20-25M per year.

A reliever of Urias’ caliber probably cost $15M a year.

Probably can extract more value out of Urias if they kept him a starter and then got an elite reliever.

What’s amazing is that the predicted cost for the Dodgers to acquire Hader seems higher than what the Padres paid to acquire Clevinger.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Julio is a starter. Just happened to need him in the closing role at times in the postseason. Once he started going to the stretch on every pitch, he really took off. Yu Darvish did something similar in Chicago. Julio needs to be in the rotation to see if he can take that next step from solid 5 inning starter to a top-of-the-rotation guy. They can still watch him closely and keep his innings in check, just like they do with Buehler. But if he's got ace-like potential, you have to start him. You can adjust in the postseason based on what your needs are.

LeMahieu is a superb batsman. If his price isn't too steep, that would be a great addition, and he's a strong defender, too. Taylor doesn't have to be a starter. He could end up as a super-utility guy who gets starts for half of the games between the infield and outfield (and you know Pollock won't be healthy for 162 games in LF).

I agree about Hader. I mean, he's great, but I do worry that he's been overworked. It would make far more sense to just give Hendriks $10MM a year for 2 or 3 years, instead of giving up Lux for Hader. I am not opposed to giving up Lux, but I'd look elsewhere for a star piece.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Gold Glove winners tonight. Hopefully Bellinger and Betts win.

Here are predictions for the AL.

Quote:
CATCHER

FINALISTS:
YASMANI GRANDAL (CHICAGO WHITE SOX),
JAMES MCCANN (CHICAGO WHITE SOX),
ROBERTO PEREZ (CLEVELAND INDIANS).

Although leading framer, Boston’s Christian Vazquez, was left off of the ballot, each of these three catchers has a chance to win. With Grandal and McCann, the White Sox had an elite catching tandem in 2020, but Vazquez may have been my pick had he not been left off the list.

I think this Gold Glove award should go to Yasmani Grandal.

Man, how far has Grandal come? Remember how much of a liability he was for us in the playoffs in 2018? Dude really shored up his defense. Good for him.

Quote:
CENTER FIELD

FINALISTS:
BYRON BUXTON (MINNESOTA TWINS),
RAMON LAUREANO (OAKLAND ATHLETICS),
LUIS ROBERT (CHICAGO WHITE SOX)

Rays Center Fielder Kevin Kiermaier (10 DRS, 5 OAA, 7.7 UZR) seems like he should be the favorite to win the gold glove, but he didn’t even finish top 3. He leads AL Center Fielders in UZR and was just 1 DRS short of Buxton.

Kiermaier would’ve been my pick had he been a finalist, but out of the remaining 3, Robert is my choice.

Just so weird about Kiermaier.

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/index.php/2020/10/23/2020-al-gold-glove-final-predictions/
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of Yu Darvish, he’s also a former Dodger that’s a Cy Young award finalist (NL). Incredible that 3 of the 6 finalists are recent former Dodgers. Also happy for them to represent Asian baseball (Japan and Korea) so well.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject:

Would
Love to get Bauer and Hendriks..pretty sure we will be outbid on both. Hader no thanks and i think we would get outbid there too
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I would love to bring JT back, I am resigned to losing Joc though I do love how he consistently turns games in the playoffs when everyone else is not hitting.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject:

^ I have also accepted that we probably saw Joc in Dodger blue for the last time and while it does make me sad I can find enough joy in knowing that his last game with us was winning the World Series.

I think there’s less than a 10% chance that JT doesn’t come back. I would honestly be shocked if we don’t see a deal made.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Speaking of Yu Darvish, he’s also a former Dodger that’s a Cy Young award finalist (NL). Incredible that 3 of the 6 finalists are recent former Dodgers. Also happy for them to represent Asian baseball (Japan and Korea) so well.

Funny thing about Darvish....I knew what he was made of long before he made MLB when he went against Korea in the WBC. Japan Vs Korea in the finals. Anybody who knows the long war-torn history between those countries knows there is no greater rivalry on earth that can surpass the intensity of that matchup and ALL the players are aware of the historical tensions that exist due to centuries of conflict between the two countries. Red Sox-Yankees? Dodgers-Giants? Lakers-Celtics? All childs play compared to the rivalry when these two countries clash whether it is soccer or baseball. When his body language exuded non-confidence despite him having overpowering stuff especially compared to Korean hitters and giving up the game tying run in the 9th, I knew what I needed to know about him. Lets just say, him imploding against the Astros was no surprise to me despite the Astros cheating ways, There is a difference between a guy who was pressing to live up to his words like Ichiro, who ultimately delivered the game winning hit, and a guy who looked like he wanted no part of being out there in such a critical game and situation (9th inning closer) like Darvish.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Sid Bream!

Carry on.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Funny thing about Darvish....I knew what he was made of long before he made MLB when he went against Korea in the WBC. Japan Vs Korea in the finals. Anybody who knows the long war-torn history between those countries knows there is no greater rivalry on earth that can surpass the intensity of that matchup and ALL the players are aware of the historical tensions that exist due to centuries of conflict between the two countries. Red Sox-Yankees? Dodgers-Giants? Lakers-Celtics? All childs play compared to the rivalry when these two countries clash whether it is soccer or baseball. When his body language exuded non-confidence despite him having overpowering stuff especially compared to Korean hitters and giving up the game tying run in the 9th, I knew what I needed to know about him. Lets just say, him imploding against the Astros was no surprise to me despite the Astros cheating ways, There is a difference between a guy who was pressing to live up to his words like Ichiro, who ultimately delivered the game winning hit, and a guy who looked like he wanted no part of being out there in such a critical game and situation (9th inning closer) like Darvish.

It's why the cheating boils the blood of so many fans (not just Dodgers'). Darvish got absolutely jobbed as did Clayton. Darvish was in a contract year as well!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject:

^ yeah. Iirc Darvish was pretty lights out before going to Houston. Obviously what happened in game 7 is all conjecture but it’s not far fetched to say his performance was negatively impacted by the psychological aspect of being told you’re tipping your pitches when you felt certain you weren’t.

I really feel terrible for him for so many reasons. Obviously he had the unfair reputation for a few years before the truth was found out. But as you mentioned, he was probably screwed out of tens of millions due to this. And beyond that, he and his family were treated terribly. Just reading his wife describe their young son at game 7, sitting and watching til the end while fighting back tears...that sticks with me. I will always hate the Astros.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ yeah. Iirc Darvish was pretty lights out before going to Houston. Obviously what happened in game 7 is all conjecture but it’s not far fetched to say his performance was negatively impacted by the psychological aspect of being told you’re tipping your pitches when you felt certain you weren’t.

I really feel terrible for him for so many reasons. Obviously he had the unfair reputation for a few years before the truth was found out. But as you mentioned, he was probably screwed out of tens of millions due to this. And beyond that, he and his family were treated terribly. Just reading his wife describe their young son at game 7, sitting and watching til the end while fighting back tears...that sticks with me. I will always hate the Astros.

And it's probably not coincidental that he was lights out this season for the Cubbies, knowing he got cheated.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I’d be interested in DJ for the right price, think he’d be an incredible addition to an already strong batting lineup.

If we were trading Lux though, I’d avoid Hader.

On a separate topic, do you guys think the NL will still use a DH next year?

If so, that could put us in the market for some types of hitters we’ve probably never looked at before because of the need to field in our conference.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject:

The DH for 2021 talk seems to be all over the place. I thought I saw Buster Olney (it was definitely a prominent baseball journalist) this morning tweet that he thinks the DH will be back in the NL for this coming season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 298, 299, 300
Page 300 of 300
Jump to: