2020 NBA DRAFT THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
DeAndre Kane anyone?

2014 draft???

Did you mean Karim Mane?

No. It seems like that was an undrafted guy we were excited about on LG back then. Lol
wongst288
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Mason Jones!!!! Bring him in!!!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Disappointed they didn’t add get a 2nd rounder. Decent talent in the top 40.

Now on to free agency to fill out the roster. Kind of hoping they know most of the opt outs and free agents are returning. Because I’m not looking forward to adding a bunch of aging journeyman vet mins. Which is exactly what I’m now expecting.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Both Tillie and Dotson off the board already

Alexander and Mason Jones would be the only other guys I'm interested in
#18 next...
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Now on to free agency to fill out the roster. Kind of hoping they know most of the opt outs and free agents are returning. Because I’m not looking forward to adding a bunch of aging journeyman vet mins. Which is exactly what I’m now expecting.

Ya. Hopefully we fill out the roster with younger players. Josh Jackson and Kris Dunn are the two I’d target.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Mason Jones went elsewhere. Don’t see Lakers getting any of these guys with zero chance of making the roster.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Well...this night was uneventful. Felt like the FO just went to sleep.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Dang. We didn't get Cassius Clay
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

Ya. Hopefully we fill out the roster with younger players. Josh Jackson and Kris Dunn are the two I’d target.

Or we could have been talking about Woodard or Jones or a half dozen other prospects over them with more upside.

Unless all the Laker free agents go to other teams there is not a lot of spots open, even at the end of the bench. JMO but keeping the pipeline filled with young prospects should be given a higher priority.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Naji Marshall sounds like a good 3/D prospect who can play make a little.

Nate Hinton another 3/d prospect.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

Or we could have been talking about Woodard or Jones or a half dozen other prospects over them with more upside.

Unless all the Laker free agents go to other teams there is not a lot of spots open, even at the end of the bench. JMO but keeping the pipeline filled with young prospects should be given a higher priority.

Agree 100%. It’s actually bad management. We should be using 2-3 spots on high upside young prospects. Those prospects are lotto picks and if you hit 1, you can extend your window and get more flexibly to adjust the roster as needed.

This was also the draft to get picks in the 40s as those players could easily have been 1st round picks.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject:

We have THT and Cacock. And there might not be a g league this year. With covid going on we need a deep roster just in case we get hit with covid. This isn’t the year for development projects in the 13-15 spots. Don’t get why it’s bad management.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
We have THT and Cacock. And there might not be a g league this year. With covid going on we need a deep roster just in case we get hit with covid. This isn’t the year for development projects in the 13-15 spots. Don’t get why it’s bad management.

Pretty much. No summer league and no G league makes developing guys outside of the rotation tough.

THT will potentially get some time, but we'll see what happens with Cacock and Kostas if he's back.

Last edited by Practice on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject:

We would have to use exceptions to sign any of these guys anyway, I'd rather bring back whatever vets we can with that money.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:

I would not call it bad management, just a preference of strategy.

I would just prefer those 13-15 spots were devoted to development instead of the JR Smiths, Korver, Cousins, or even Cooks and Dudley’s of the league.

You are correct, Having THT and Cacock playing mins in those mid season 3rd game in 5 nights will help buffer the vets needing nights off. I just would like to see that expended to 4 or 5 players. Top 10 of the rotation will get the mins especially come playoff time. but some spot usage for those young prospects might make a difference over a couple years in depth.

There was definitely some talent in the 31-50 range that was intriguing. I’d be developing that every year in the hopes they surprise.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:

I would just prefer those 13-15 spots were devoted to development instead of the JR Smiths, Korver, Cousins, or even Cooks and Dudley’s of the league.

You are correct, Having THT and Cacock playing mins in those mid season 3rd game in 5 nights will help buffer the vets needing nights off. I just would like to see that expended to 4 or 5 players. Top 10 of the rotation will get the mins especially come playoff time. but some spot usage for those young prospects might make a difference over a couple years in depth.

There was definitely some talent in the 31-50 range that was intriguing. I’d be developing that every year in the hopes they surprise.

Valid points sir. Hopefully next year in a normal year with summer league and a g league we can replenish our roster in those areas with some. Late draft picks.

And thinking it over our end of the rotation guys besides THT, Cacock, and Kostas were Cook, smith, waiters, and Dudley. Replacing 2 of them with young prospects would be good. I do think the team values vets like Dudley at the end of the bench for chemistry/locker room purposes
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

Valid points sir. Hopefully next year in a normal year with summer league and a g league we can replenish our roster in those areas with some. Late draft picks.

And thinking it over our end of the rotation guys besides THT, Cacock, and Kostas were Cook, smith, waiters, and Dudley. Replacing 2 of them with young prospects would be good. I do think the team values vets like Dudley at the end of the bench for chemistry/locker room purposes

Don’t forget Daniels was on the bench most of the season too.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Rob probably didn't buy a pick because he doesn't want to pay for an unknown kid. He must be keeping cap to get some guys to return for another go at a ring. Makes sense.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Rob probably didn't buy a pick because he doesn't want to pay for an unknown kid. He must be keeping cap to get some guys to return for another go at a ring. Makes sense.

No fans attendance $ coming in either so might be financial
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

There were projected early to mid 2nd rounders that went undrafted.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1329291932921688064

A couple of these guys were projected as high as late 1st.

Most were early to mid 2nd round.

I would definitely say there were missed opportunities, because LAL didn't have to buy a pick, but had to call player's agents for the undrafted guys.

But after all that, I'm not mad. I didn't expect anything this year.

PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I would definitely say there were missed opportunities, because LAL didn't have to buy a pick, but had to call player's agents for the undrafted guys.

Its gonna bite us in the ass when bron and the vets pack up and go
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Its gonna bite us in the ass when bron and the vets pack up and go

That's why I prefer things lined up for free agency years.

CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

The price tags for 2nd rounds has become prohibitive even if someone if selling.

4M+ for a pick that may not make your roster is no longer an investment, it's a must hit. And did I see some nonsense about a 10M pick purchase last night? That's insane.

And all a pick does for us last night is take a roster spot without contributing.

I'm sure Rob leaves 1 roster spot open to keep us below the apron and available for buyouts.

#BannersOverBillboards
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

I would have liked the team to have purchased a second rounder, but I didn't think it was realistic. First, every team is going to have player development challenges this season. Taking on developmental projects will dilute your coaching resources, which isn't something you want when your team is a contender. Second, the teams all took a sizeable hit to revenues during this pandemic. While no one is declaring Chapter 11 tomorrow, most of the teams are probably tightening their belts.

I wanted a cheap second rounder or two as I figured yesterday might have some bargain basement prices. Though I'm sure the Los Angeles Lakers is the first choice in terms of hoop dreams, the second rounder picks and the undrafted kids are probably best served by going to a team with serious holes on their rosters. The first order of business is to stick to a roster, and that is particularly tough when you sign up for the World Champion Los Angeles Lakers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 46 of 48
Jump to: