DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2020/11/18/21573823/lakers-trade-dennis-schroder-danny-green-2020-nba-draft-analysis
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject:

Schroder is probably the best player we could've gotten who was gettable to fill a few of our biggest needs:

1. A third legit scorer
2. A second guy to handle the ball
3. A second guy to set others up
4. Getting younger and more athletic

You guy realize that Schroder averaged 19 points a game this past season, while playing with ball-dominant CP3, in just 30.8 minutes a game?

His mid-range game and efficiency is also lit.

With his speed, our fast break will get even better. He can also reduce Lebron's workload significantly, which will keep LeBron fresh for the playoffs and maybe even extend his prime.

I just hope that coach Vogel gives him free reign instead of limiting his scoring and ball-handling opportunities. I also wonder a little if LeBron's ball-dominant ways may marginalize Schroder at times.

But besides that, an outstanding trade. I'm stoked!
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Schroder is probably the best player we could've gotten who was gettable to fill a few of our biggest needs:

1. A third legit scorer

You guy realize that Schroder averaged 19 points a game this past season, while playing with ball-dominant CP3, in just 30.8 minutes a game?

With his speed, our fast break will get even better. He can also reduce Lebron's workload significantly, which will keep LeBron fresh for the playoffs and maybe even extend his prime.

I just hope that coach Vogel gives him free reign instead of limiting his scoring and ball-handling opportunities. I also wonder a little if LeBron's ball-dominant ways may marginalize Schroder at times.

I am sure will not. Why? Because Lebron is not the guy who tries to score first. He will maybe take the ball but he is always looking to pass. If you are moving without ball as you should , you will get your chance. LBJ and Schroeder will work perfectly I think. My only concern is DS defense and how much it will bother Vogel. But DS is not awful defensively so this part should be good also.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

1. A third legit scorer

I am sure will not. Why? Because Lebron is not the guy who tries to score first. He will maybe take the ball but he is always looking to pass. If you are moving without ball as you should , you will get your chance. LBJ and Schroeder will work perfectly I think. My only concern is DS defense and how much it will bother Vogel. But DS is not awful defensively so this part should be good also.

It's not a major concern, but LeBron loves to handle the ball and run the show, so he and Schroder will have to figure out how to share those duties. Hopefully it will be mostly an instinctual thing - when we get the rebound or a turnover, it just depends on who's further down the court in transition.

I read about how in the early 80s Norm Nixon got marginalized by Magic, so hopefully it's not a repeat of that.

A part of me also wonders if coach Vogel may not fully let Schroder play his game and push the ball often and look to score, although if he's looking to load manage Lebron, the best way to do that is to let Schroder spread his wings and showcase all his talent and skill.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

1. A third legit scorer

It's not a major concern, but LeBron loves to handle the ball and run the show, so he and Schroder will have to figure out how to share those duties. Hopefully it will be mostly an instinctual thing - when we get the rebound or a turnover, it just depends on who's further down the court in transition.

I read about how in the early 80s Norm Nixon got marginalized by Magic, so hopefully it's not a repeat of that.

A part of me also wonders if coach Vogel may not fully let Schroder play his game and push the ball often and look to score, although if he's looking to load manage Lebron, the best way to do that is to let Schroder spread his wings and showcase all his talent and skill.

Schroder just had his best season as a pro playing along side CP3 and excelling at catch and shooting so he's def. not new to it (not to mention he has played alongside Westbrook as well) and I think will help his transition here quite a bit. I admittingly didn't watch a ton of there games but from what I did see he seemed better then ever in this role.

I'm sure both Vogel and Lebron will also tell him to push the ball on nearly every possession when possible just like they did without him this past season. That's where the Lakers thrive and get there easiest points so now with Schroder who is one of the fastest players in the NBA that should only get better.

I also believe his defense will not be an issue to the degree some think. The more I look into him, especially last season the more I see a dog. I think this is where most Laker fans will be pleasantly surprised especially in our system.

here's a great article showing much of his growth after a season alongside CP3 which he said multiple times was a blessing for his growth in interviews I have seen of him.
https://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2020/5/31/21271703/film-analysis-dennis-schroder

Polar opposite from when I researched Derozan on that side of the ball. He has passion and puts the effort in but he also seems to have those instincts you can't teach along with a still growing bbiq. Him and Caruso in at the same time is going to be fun to watch and will only get better as the season goes.

The other thing about him that I like when compared to Derozan is that he is greatly efficient in the midrange as well but he's obviously a monumental upgrade from behind the 3. I think overall he's a near perfect fit for our team.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
slavavov wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

1. A third legit scorer

Schroder just had his best season as a pro playing along side CP3 and excelling at catch and shooting so he's def. not new to it (not to mention he has played alongside Westbrook as well) and I think will help his transition here quite a bit. I admittingly didn't watch a ton of there games but from what I did see he seemed better then ever in this role.

I'm sure both Vogel and Lebron will also tell him to push the ball on nearly every possession when possible just like they did without him this past season. That's where the Lakers thrive and get there easiest points so now with Schroder who is one of the fastest players in the NBA that should only get better.

I also believe his defense will not be an issue to the degree some think. The more I look into him, especially last season the more I see a dog. I think this is where most Laker fans will be pleasantly surprised especially in our system.

here's a great article showing much of his growth after a season alongside CP3 which he said multiple times was a blessing for his growth in interviews I have seen of him.
https://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2020/5/31/21271703/film-analysis-dennis-schroder

Polar opposite from when I researched Derozan on that side of the ball. He has passion and puts the effort in but he also seems to have those instincts you can't teach along with a still growing bbiq. Him and Caruso in at the same time is going to be fun to watch and will only get better as the season goes.

The other thing about him that I like when compared to Derozan is that he is greatly efficient in the midrange as well but he's obviously a monumental upgrade from behind the 3. I think overall he's a near perfect fit for our team.

Thanks for posting that article, I enjoyed reading it!

The two things I mentioned are not big concerns, but just things I wonder about a little bit. I really doubt they'll be significant issues, and I'm just stoked that we have a really good, legit scoring point guard.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject:

Yeah happy that Schroder got those minutes playing off CP3 last year. Playing with Bron will be similar.

However I do hope we bring him off the bench. I like the mindset of having Bron start off as a PG and to set AD up. Come playoffs, we can make all kinds of adjustments as Frank showed he would (Started Morris, Caruso, Dwight, McGee at various points in the playoffs) so we could start Schroder then if we need the offense.

In general, I like if we could allow Bron to sit for stretches and entrust Schroder, Kuzma and the bench to play 6-8 minute stretches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers may intend to keep him long-term. Obviously they will monitor developments in 2021-22 but he may be a key long term piece going forward. And he's young enough that any extension will still be during his prime. Giving AD a prime PnR partner is important as LBJ ages.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think the Lakers may intend to keep him long-term. Obviously they will monitor developments in 2021-22 but he may be a key long term piece going forward. And he's young enough that any extension will still be during his prime. Giving AD a prime PnR partner is important as LBJ ages.

Does anyone have his PnR numbers? Like how effective is he in PnR?

His catch and shoot numbers are good. That is a good sign.
He also averaged 16-18 points on good teams such as the Hawks and Thunder. Meaning he has been a good contributor on good teams.

Like a guy like Kuzma, we know he can score 18 a game. But on a bad team. On a good team, Kuz is likely a 10-12 point guy (up until this point in his career).

This dude though, he looks like he can actually be a legit 3rd option on a contender, but I have not seen enough of him in his career. I would love to get his PnR numbers from the last season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Does anyone have his PnR numbers? Like how effective is he in PnR?

His catch and shoot numbers are good. That is a good sign.
He also averaged 16-18 points on good teams such as the Hawks and Thunder. Meaning he has been a good contributor on good teams.

Like a guy like Kuzma, we know he can score 18 a game. But on a bad team. On a good team, Kuz is likely a 10-12 point guy (up until this point in his career).

This dude though, he looks like he can actually be a legit 3rd option on a contender, but I have not seen enough of him in his career. I would love to get his PnR numbers from the last season.

I just watched as much OKC footage of him as possible. He has gravity on PnRs (a lot of them with Noel) because he can shoot the 3, hit the midrange and finish at the rim. Now pair him with AD.

Most of our PnRs from our guards were not as effective b/c guys like Rondo were not as much of a threat to score off the PnR.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

That brodie stuff stays in Okc...out here you Bronnies
https://i.redd.it/89uljwtra8061.jpg
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject:

The 1999 Spurs featured a big, versatile frontcourt. Two years later, they drafted Tony Parker and it transformed their team. I foresee a similar impact with these Lakers (who also will touts a versatile frontcourt) with the trade for DS. No, he's not TP, but he has similar speed that can be used to breakdown a defense and get easier looks for his teammates along with being a scoring threat himself.

I think the Lakers were in the bottom 3rd in the NBA in terms of dribble penetration. Soon to be 36 year old Bron was our only consistent triple threat who could get into the teeth of defenses with dribble penetration. Bron did it with a combo of speed and brute strength. DS will do it with a crafty dribble, speed, and using dribble handoffs and P&R.

Speed kills. DS will be a consistent threat because the defensive schemes and best defenders will be focused on Bron and AD. DS will be free to attack slow footed bigs in P&R with AD. He'll add to our already potent fast break. He'll anchor the 2nd unit. He'll also be that spark plug needed scoring wise (18.9ppg last year) that will help Vogel ease Bron into the shortest off-season in NBA history.

From what I've seen he got some dog in him no doubt brought out by playing with CP3 - so I'm not too concerned defensively - even though he is about 180lbs at best.

Best part? He just turned 27 in September so if this season works out he can be resigned and he's on AD's timeline age wise. I'm excited to have him and look forward to seeing him add more speed and athleticism to the squad as they embark on their quest for #18.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject:

DS stats was close to Holidays stats while playing like 5 less minutes.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Rob Pelinka on Dennis Schroder trade: "We're really excited about adding Dennis to our core."

More from Pelinka: "If you look at the bubble and what we were able to accomplish, one of the core identities of our team was I felt we played incredibly tough, gritty defensive basketball. I think that's really at the core of how Dennis plays."

Rob Pelinka on Lakers not just running it back with the same roster: "My school of thinking is let's find ways we can get better."

Rob Pelinka is speaking to reporters about Dennis Schroder trade. He says the Lakers are trying to avoid being complacent after winning the title and the urge to just run it back. "We never want to just settle," he said.

Rob Pelinka credited Danny Green for being an "ultimate professional." Said Lakers couldn't pass up an opportunity to trade for a player of Schroder's age and talent.

Quote:
"Dennis is a player that other teams hate to play against but his teammates love to play with because he has that nasty tenacity and grit."

Quote:
Pelinka says he's excited about Dennis giving them another on-ball playmaker and off-ball scorer. He admitted that the Lakers have tried to trade for Schröder before, and says he's excited they got it done.

Quote:
"I think we try to stay as fluid to a process as we can," Rob Pelinka answered a question about Schroder possibly being their lone 'bold' move

Quote:
Rob Pelinka said Lakers aren't going to get swept up in condensed offseason timeline: "Our preparation for this period of time started months ago. There's been a lot of planning and thought around it, so it was really more waiting for the NBA dates to get released."

DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

Dennis Schroeder (which some describe somewhat freakish)

Height - 6′ 1”
Height with shoes - 6′ 2”
Wing Span - 6′ 7.75”
Reach - 8′ 2”
Hand Lenght - 8.75"
Hand Width - 10.5"

Just to compare to THT which has some freakish measurements

Height - 6′ 2.5”
Height with shoes - 6' 4"
Wing Span - 7′1.25”
Reach - 8′ 7”
Hand Lenght - 9.50"
Hand Width - 9.75"
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

So much slander thrown at Rob early on by people. I always liked the guy and thought he would be great. Nothing he does seems like a whim (cough: magic :cough).

He survived a laker legend going on national TV calling him a snake and he just grinned and took it. never ever responded other than to say its too bad he felt that way.
Lakerlover89
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

1. A third legit scorer

This ^
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject:

What's impressive about him is he's a 3 level scorer for me.

Much improved 3 point shooter at 5+ attempts a game.

Really good mid-range game (lots of players don't have that anymore).

Can finish at the rim.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Schröder’s first IG post as a Laker:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHyM6RzMWXh/?igshid=1q8j3d01du3d

@Lakers also officially announced it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Schröder’s first IG post as a Laker:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHyM6RzMWXh/?igshid=1q8j3d01du3d

@Lakers also officially announced it.

Looks awesome in Lakers colors.
I just know we are all going to love this guy. I have watched him play a lot and this past playoffs, with a team that really shouldn't have been in the playoffs, he was really good. With the rest of this roster, he should be solid.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
So much slander thrown at Rob early on by people. I always liked the guy and thought he would be great. Nothing he does seems like a whim (cough: magic :cough).

He survived a laker legend going on national TV calling him a snake and he just grinned and took it. never ever responded other than to say its too bad he felt that way.

Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I couldn't be more excited about him being a Laker. He's so much better than a lot of people think. We have a legit big 3 now.

He has another level in his game that he can still reach. If LeBron can take him under his wing and help him "think the game" like he did with Kyrie, watch out.

Last edited by Judah on Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I love this trade. He scores, defends, and is a playmaker. He has starter talent but he's needed more as the scoring punch and floor leader when Lebron sits.

I'm fine with whatever Vogel decides but he does need to finish games.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject:

I have a new nick name for this cat.

Y’all remember back to the future when Marty goes into the diner and sees a hopeful janitor named Goldie Wilson who’s gonna be mayor of hill valley

Dennis Schroeder aka. Goldie Wilson. He’s gonna clean up the courts by getting steals and dishing out dimes
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/lakers/status/1329878430008057856?s=21

And we finally got a dog, @Lakers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 30 of 284
Jump to: