2020 NBA DRAFT THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

Well right now it's not even about buying a pick.

Early to mid 2nd round types went undrafted. More than 5.

Killian Tillie was the most obvious *get*.

But he's in Draft Twitter world in Memphis now.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:

I really like Abdoulaye N'Doye. He went undrafted. Do it Mitch! Oh wait...
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
DeAndre Kane anyone?

2014 draft???

Did you mean Karim Mane?

No. It seems like that was an undrafted guy we were excited about on LG back then. Lol

Remember the Mane.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Yeah, that's the guy I really wanted too. I figured Scrubb and Tillie would either go as high as mid-second to undrafted. Both are long-shots for different reasons, but both are also worth a cheap commitment.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Disappointed they didn’t add get a 2nd rounder. Decent talent in the top 40.

Now on to free agency to fill out the roster. Kind of hoping they know most of the opt outs and free agents are returning. Because I’m not looking forward to adding a bunch of aging journeyman vet mins. Which is exactly what I’m now expecting.

Ya. Hopefully we fill out the roster with younger players. Josh Jackson and Kris Dunn are the two I’d target.

The price tags for 2nd rounds has become prohibitive even if someone if selling.

4M+ for a pick that may not make your roster is no longer an investment, it's a must hit. And did I see some nonsense about a 10M pick purchase last night? That's insane.

And all a pick does for us last night is take a roster spot without contributing.

I'm sure Rob leaves 1 roster spot open to keep us below the apron and available for buyouts.

Wow, a second round pick is that much? Having no games to attend and scout, and only able to do virtual interviews, kind of understandable.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Yeah, that's the guy I really wanted too. I figured Scrubb and Tillie would either go as high as mid-second to undrafted. Both are long-shots for different reasons, but both are also worth a cheap commitment.

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1329292768271765506

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1329291932921688064

Made this small thread when the draft was in the low 50s:
https://twitter.com/CanyonDriver/status/1329289163913490433

That's a lot of UDFA dudes.

ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

<snip>
4M+ for a pick that may not make your roster is no longer an investment, it's a must hit. And did I see some nonsense about a 10M pick purchase last night?
<snip>

I don't believe that 4M was purely for the pick. There are reports that the 4M covered a contract gap plus the value of the pick.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject:

My list for impact year 1 players goes like this.

1) Vassell - Spurs. 6'6'' SG. Can score from anywhere on the floor and has defensive potential. Easy to fit a winning culture around his play style.
2) Tyrese Haliburton - Kings. Will score in transition with Fox. Could defend well in transition as well. Performs a much needed need.
3) Precious Achiuwa - Heat . Between he and Bam. Miami has a rim protecting paint presence.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Lamelo is gonna be a huge bust. I see nothing in him that leads me to think he could ever sniff stardom

I don't think he'll be a star either. Someone else on another board compared him to Shaun Livingston, before the knee injury. I can see it, a tall point guard with passing ability but very mediocre shooter. I also think the comparisons some have made to Luka Doncic is crazy. Doncic was the best player in the 2nd best league in the world and putting up excellent numbers and good shooting percentages.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Draft thoughts:

1) MIN(Edwards, Bolmaro, McDaniels; Rubio)
On paper there's a lot of good here. But this feels like Rosas hedging his bets when he could've stood pat and taken potential star caliber prospects in Ball and Pokusevski.

2) GSW (Wiseman, Mannion, Jessup)
I assume Wiseman was drafted to be traded later because as a player he's the antithesis of what the Warriors have valued under Myers. Wiseman should retain trade value better than Jahlil Okafor and would look good in D.C. Mannion and Jessup are good values and sane Warrior picks late in the 2nd round.

3) CHA (Ball, Carey, Richards, Riller)
Picking nits, I don't like Carey or Richards as prospects and passing on Tillman for Carey will seem silly in retrospect. That said, Riller was great value late in the 2nd round and Ball gives them an actual identity, a potential star, and makes the Hornets fun. A lot could go wrong with LaMelo, but if enough goes right, he can be the player who spearheads Charlotte's ascent out of perpetual mediocrity.

4) CHI (Williams, Simonovic)
I like Patrick Williams and it seems as if trade downs weren't a thing this year, but this is stupid. Should've taken Hayes.

5) CLE (Okoro)
I was surprised Altman didn't do something stupid: Cleveland finally drafted its first rebuilding block. Not a great development spot for Okoro, but I buy into the kid's drive to improve and win. I bet Larry loves him from day one.

6) ATL (Okongwu, Mays)
One of my favorite pure drafts this year. The Hawks just stood pat and selected the best center in the draft and a crafty three level scorer who could stick in Mays. Okongwu is a wonderful long-term building block for them.

7) DET (Hayes, Stewart, S. Bey, S. Lee)
I hated what new GM Troy Weaver did inbetween selecting Hayes and Lee, but he picked a potential All-Star initiator in Hayes and that's all anyone will remember about the Pistons 2020 draft. They wisely offered their cap space for a pick from Houston, but using a mid-teens selection on Stewart and then swapping Kennard for Saddiq Bey were steps backward even if Bey likely sticks as a useful bench shooter.

8) NYK (Toppin, Quickley)
You don't hire Tom Thibodeau for a rebuild. Did you know Obi Toppin's agent is the son of new Knicks GM Leon Rose? Toppin is not only indifferent to defense, but with his center of gravity starting somewhere around his clavicles, he's physically incapable of defending effectively in space. But he'll score and he'll dunk and be fun and when paired with Russell Westbrook the Knicks could squeak their way into a play-in series as the Eastern Conference 9th seed with a sub-.500 record. A mediocre short-term selection for a mediocre, shortsighted franchise. Anyway, Toppin is my early pick for ROY. Quickley is whatever.

9) WAS (Avdija, Winston)
Vassell would've been a better fit given the Wizards' glut of do-stuff-except-shoot young forwards, but he could be the best of that motley bunch and he's a cool, competitive dude who can help their eventual transition from the Beal/Wall era. Winston is in a great spot on a team that's been looking for a steady backup PG for years - great value selection for D.C.

10) PHX (Jalen Smith)
No, Smith is no Cameron Johnson type pick. He's a slow, skinny backup C at a spot in the draft with a number of talented young guards who could've thrived learning from Paul still available. Terrible selection after blowing their cap space by not delaying the CP3 trade. The impending disaster of Smith and Ayton playing together should be fun for non-Suns fans, though.

11) SAS (Vassell, T. Jones)
I wish the Spurs and Wizards would swap picks for fit purposes, but having a surplus of good, young-ish two-way wings is a nice problem to have. I'm skeptical of Vassell's upside without being a better downhill scorer, but his shooting complements Walker and Johnson's slashing and he can be a special, special team defender. Jones is a nice value pick who can carve out a long career off the bench with some shooting improvement. The Spurs will need a young star one of these days, but they keep drafting good pros who can help a future star win.

12) SAC (Haliburton, Woodard, Ramsey)
Sacramento's new regime has a reasonable draft taking Haliburton in a more rational spot than where he was being projected while Woodard could stick as a big wing with an improving jumper. Nothing exciting from a team that's treading water and probably needed to take a bigger swing earlier than on teenage gunner Ramsey in the mid-2nd round.

13) NOP (Lewis)
Griffin maneuvered his way out of the draft after selecting Lewis who was drafted in his projected range. Nothing exciting on the surface. But I love the long-term fit with Lewis's downhill speed and off-ball shooting, which adds another potent offensive weapon alongside BI and Zion.

14) BOS (Nesmith, Pritchard, Madar; 2 future 2nds)
Another mediocre, uninspired draft from Ainge. He's going to coast on the Tatum trade for another decade.

15) ORL (Anthony)
A good landing spot for Anthony who will try to rehabilitate his once lofty reputation. I think he's another old freshman whose rep was built against younger players who ultimately caught up with him, but maybe he'll prove me wrong in the pros. He should be a solid backup PG at least.

Non-lottery drafts I liked:

PHI (Maxey (21), Joe (49), Reed (58); Seth Curry)
A great fit for Maxey alongside a bigger playmaker in Simmons, once Tyrese's shooting comes around (and it will) he can wreak havoc as a downhill scorer in transition and against closeouts. If Maxey can progress as a PnR passer, he could develop into a long-term third option for the Sixers. And in the short-term Morey added a top notch off-ball PG and elite shooter in Seth Curry. Joe and Reed are 100% NBA rotation players whether it's in Philly or elsewhere. Damn good value draft.

MEM (Bane (30), Tillman (35), Tillie (undrafted))
As mentioned last night, Memphis has clearly hired someone who is tapped into Draft Twitter. Memphis traded two future 2nds to move into the first round to select the draft's actual best shooter in Bane (suck it, Ainge) and picked manimal extraordinaire Xavier Tillman shortly thereafter. A great fit draft that will go a long way toward proving the analytical brilliance of draft nerds on the internet.

DAL (Green (18), Terry (31), T. Bey (36), Hinton (undrafted); Richardson)
Green and Terry are young and a few years away, but they have a good shot of being the Mavericks backcourt of the future. I thought Terry would be a great pick for the Mavs at #18, so to add him to Green while other teams took reaches like Quickley and Pritchard is a big win for Dallas. While Terry and Green develop, Richardson is a nice short-term third option for the Mavs and the improved spacing in Dallas could rejuvenate Richardson's offense. Tyler Bey is another smart pickup who should be able to defend NBA wings from day one. If his cutting translates and he can hit a respectable number of his corner 3s, Bey could be a wonderful complement to Doncic in small ball lineups. I love all of it including the undrafted addition of energizer bunny Nate Hinton.

OKC (Pokusevski (17), Maledon (34), Krejci (37); James Johnson and the rights to Micic)
Presti may open a European farm team with all the draft and stash picks he'll be making for OKC over the next seven years. The Thunder were making noise all night but ended up with a somewhat quiet draft. Regardless, landing a potential home run prospect in Pokusevski however he was acquired was a win for Presti and the Thunder. It'll take patient development, but Poku has the potential to be the best player selected in the 2020 draft.

Honorable Mentions:

TOR (Flynn (29), J. Harris (59))
Ujiri doesn't have to do anything and he still runs rings around most of his peers. Looking forward to Flynn doing FVV ish in two seasons while half the guards drafted ahead of him are in the G-League. Jalen Harris has the potential to become an NBA rotation player, as well.

POR (Elleby (46); Covington)
Covington is the big get as the Blazers defense greatly benefits from Tightwad Fertitta's smallesse, but keep an eye on Elleby's development over the next couple years. He's picked up some bad habits being a primary option on a middling team in Spokane, but if I had to pick a longshot star from the second round, Elleby as a playmaking scoring wing would be it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject:

There's 4 guys from Draft twitter in Memphis.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I assume one is **le
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I assume one is **le

No.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I assume one is **le

No.

Hmmm...
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
DeAndre Kane anyone?

2014 draft???

Did you mean Karim Mane?

No. It seems like that was an undrafted guy we were excited about on LG back then. Lol

Robert Upshaw, coming to save the day?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
DeAndre Kane anyone?

2014 draft???

Did you mean Karim Mane?

Robert Upshaw, coming to save the day?

The kid loved his cocaine. Malik Monk's turning into another Upshaw, but st least he got his millions before washing out in a wave of white powder.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lamelo is gonna be a huge bust. I see nothing in him that leads me to think he could ever sniff stardom

I don't think he'll be a star either. Someone else on another board compared him to Shaun Livingston, before the knee injury. I can see it, a tall point guard with passing ability but very mediocre shooter. I also think the comparisons some have made to Luka Doncic is crazy. Doncic was the best player in the 2nd best league in the world and putting up excellent numbers and good shooting percentages.

I agree. Not a top player I would draft personally. Definitely would have taken Wiseman above him and Edwards too.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
2019 wrote:

I agree. Not a top player I would draft personally. Definitely would have taken Wiseman above him and Edwards too.

I would take pre-injury Shaun Livingston ahead of James Wiseman in this draft 10 times out of 10.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject:

If Wiseman was available in the 2021 draft, he'd be at best the third center selected behind Evan Mobley and Usman Garuba around selections #8-12.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:

If Wiseman was available in the 2021 draft, he'd be at best the third center selected behind Evan Mobley and Usman Garuba around selections #8-12.

Amen.

The only *real* value to bigs is when they have guard skills on both ends of the floor. Otherwise PnR dive men / swat bigs, no matter how much variance in athleticism, are a dime a dozen for relatively the same amount of effectiveness.

The only NBA trend that has been incredibly obvious, outside of Shaq, is guard skills with size. Having any kind of 6'7" PG with a certain degree of triple threat skills is just a +++ on offense.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

I don't see the purpose of this comparison. All drafts are not created equal.

Does this mean Hayes could drop to 17?

GSW the epitome of spacing saw enough value in Wiseman to select him 2nd over the big PG's.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

GSW the epitome of spacing saw enough value in Wiseman to select him 2nd over the big PG's.

More like they got Stephen Curry to take all the shots and built the team like how you'd build around Pistol Pete.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

And Sam Hinkie drafted Jahlil Okafor. I think the Warriors drafted Wiseman to flip him. Ball will be bad in his first year whereas Wiseman should be useful enough as a dunker and shotblocker that he should retain more short term value.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Amen.

The only *real* value to bigs is when they have guard skills on both ends of the floor. Otherwise PnR dive men / swat bigs, no matter how much variance in athleticism, are a dime a dozen for relatively the same amount of effectiveness.

The only NBA trend that has been incredibly obvious, outside of Shaq, is guard skills with size. Having any kind of 6'7" PG with a certain degree of triple threat skills is just a +++ on offense.

How do you value the following

J Embid
D Ayton
R Gobert
N Jokic
KA Towns
B Adebayo

None of them bring guard skills to both ends of the court but are valuable components and in some cases the star component to their teams.

There seems to be the perception that spacing is the end all be all for NBA offenses. For the last 40 years the per game scoring has stayed relatively the same with a few variances here and there.

What has changed is the pace which results in more possessions. Otherwise defense is still the key to winning the chip.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

And Sam Hinkie drafted Jahlil Okafor.

And the same team drafted Fultz. Prospects fail for one reason or another. Okafor imo due to immaturity. Not getting that 2nd workout with the Lakers was a tell tale sign. Fultz ????
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 47 of 48
Jump to: